The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

17 minutes ago, troph said:

you were right.

didn't hurt I'm jonesing for a taycan.  it's stupid out of my price range though.  even the new 911 is way too much.  but I do think an older 911 is probably in my future.

Checked it out awhile back at a dealership. They want 200k for a reasonably equipped one. A little pricey for what it is. 100k-125 should be the price point.

49 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Checked it out awhile back at a dealership. They want 200k for a reasonably equipped one. A little pricey for what it is. 100k-125 should be the price point.

that's insane.  I could see $125-150K because Porsche but $200K is whack. 

you were right.
didn't hurt I'm jonesing for a taycan.  it's stupid out of my price range though.  even the new 911 is way too much.  but I do think an older 911 is probably in my future.

My sister picked up a 2017 911 with 10k miles on it. She loves it. KBB has them around $75k.

1a7ed7fdd2500dc2e350afa851b2df15.jpeg
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I only know 1 guy who I *think is gay.  I feel like I’m about 5 gay friends behind on most of y’all. 

*guy who worked for me, never felt appropriate to ask. 

You should get a few.  My limited experience leads me to believe that throwing fabulous dinner parties is a requirement for joining the club.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

The newer 911s have gotten a little big for me. 

Agreed. 

It's going to be a few years before I can shuffle a Porsche into my stable, but by the time I am in the market, the 991s will be right in my price range. Looking forward to having to wrestle with finding a C4S that checks all my boxes, or if I should focus on a 997 TT instead.

I'm not a diaper-wearing Porsche purist by any stretch, but the 992s are just too big and "conspicuously futuristic" in styling for my tastes. 

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You should get a few.  My limited experience leads me to believe that throwing fabulous dinner parties is a requirement for joining the club.

Yeah I know.  I live in the west Houston burbs and work in O&G construction, so not much overlap there.  I don’t throw many fabulous dinner parties (4,5,8 yo), aside from crawfish a few times a year.  Pretty sure they are down for crawfish and beer too. 

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Agreed. 

It's going to be a few years before I can shuffle a Porsche into my stable, but by the time I am in the market, the 991s will be right in my price range. Looking forward to having to wrestle with finding a C4S that checks all my boxes, or if I should focus on a 997 TT instead.

I'm not a diaper-wearing Porsche purist by any stretch, but the 992s are just too big and "conspicuously futuristic" in styling for my tastes. 

I’ve driven a really old 911, a 964, and a 993.  They all felt a little small to me, but I’m an above average sized guy.  The 997 is the sweet spot for me.  Don’t feel cramped, but still feels nimble.  I have not driven the newer models, but judging from pics, they have gotten huge.  Side note:  the 964 I drove was a car I almost bought 7-8 years ago.  I passed on it for something a little more practical.  I probably could have doubled my money on it while having the pleasure of driving it for the last 7-8 years.  Really poor decision on my part.

20 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Agreed. 

At least in my opinion, this is a no brainer. The 991 platform is head and shoulders above the 997.  I haven’t looked it up but imagine the C4S is quicker too. 

Macan is ours but in a red base model while they powder coat the wheels high gloss black on our Macan S. Even the 4 cylinder is impressive. Quiet and nice pick up. Not quite as shocking as the Tesla off the line torque and quickness but that’s an unfair comparison. Hearing the engine rev is a nice experience.

• Hook 'Em 3

Welp, my power steering croaked.  It's the subject of a weird recall that I think amounts to more of a TSB than a recall.  IOW a known problem that doesn't seem to occur all that often and is "covered" whether in or out of warranty.

Hope it's not the first of a string of issues.  I'm covered, warranty-wise, but we all know that's no substitute for a trouble-free vehicle.

I was surprised at how hard it was to steer without power steering.

Welp, my power steering croaked.  It's the subject of a weird recall that I think amounts to more of a TSB than a recall.  IOW a known problem that doesn't seem to occur all that often and is "covered" whether in or out of warranty.
Hope it's not the first of a string of issues.  I'm covered, warranty-wise, but we all know that's no substitute for a trouble-free vehicle.
My SS finally got a recall notice for the notorious power steering rack which is known to randomly fail. For some reason mine was part of a small batch that has been excluded until now. Wonder if yours has the same or similar rack.

7 minutes ago, Okie State said:
31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My SS finally got a recall notice for the notorious power steering rack which is known to randomly fail. For some reason mine was part of a small batch that has been excluded until now. Wonder if yours has the same or similar rack.

Probably the same or a similar part, but the recall notice only applies to CTS, ATS, Corvette, and Camaro.  There's no record of it against my VIN at either GM or NHTSA, so I dunno.

Supposedly everyone that sells an electronically controlled PS system has had some trouble with them. Sometimes software, sometimes hardware, sometimes both.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

real men dont need no power steering so you good now

Probably the same or a similar part, but the recall notice only applies to CTS, ATS, Corvette, and Camaro.  There's no record of it against my VIN at either GM or NHTSA, so I dunno.
Supposedly everyone that sells an electronically controlled PS system has had some trouble with them. Sometimes software, sometimes hardware, sometimes both.
The 'fix' on mine supposedly relates to an electrical connector. The new ones are gold plated so they don't corrode. Seems like a bandaid to me, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

The 'fix' on mine supposedly relates to an electrical connector. The new ones are gold plated so they don't corrode. Seems like a bandaid to me, but we'll see.

Yeah, I have heard of that in the forums.  I'm pretty sure the remedy for mine is replacement of the assembly.  The generic recall notice says replace and also indicates that parts are in short supply or unavailable.  So it's a weird deal.

Yeah, I have heard of that in the forums.  I'm pretty sure the remedy for mine is replacement of the assembly.  The generic recall notice says replace and also indicates that parts are in short supply or unavailable.  So it's a weird deal.
Yeah they will replace the whole rack on mine.

Welp, car back today.  The problem with the steering was electrical, but still resulted in replacement of the assembly.

Also, had a vacuum leak associated with an engine mount and got the mount replaced.  I guess I was aware that there are "active" engine mounts, but when they told me there was a vacuum leak, I had to google and it is an actual thing.  Weirrrrdddd.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, tbone_ said:

Did I read expected $ like $100k on those?

Probably.  They're kitted out and sticker on a Tahoe these days, kitted out, is like $90k.  Pretty sure an Escalade is substantially over $100k.

As someone getting older, new car prices shock the shit out of me.

What's interesting, though, is that you can still get a decent ride for like 20k.  I mean, it's an econobox, sure, but light years ahead of a Chevette or Pinto or something.

Also worth noting, my loaner while my car was in the shop was a 21 XT5 f/k/a SRX.  Nothing remarkable about it really, except that it has a 2L Turbo engine.  I've had one before with the 3.6L V6.  

I was surprised at how generally adequate the little engine was.  It's a lower-rated variant of the one I've got and it outweighs my car by half a ton, at least.  So it wasn't spry, but it was surprisingly adequate.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably.  They're kitted out and sticker on a Tahoe these days, kitted out, is like $90k.  Pretty sure an Escalade is substantially over $100k.

As someone getting older, new car prices shock the shit out of me.

What's interesting, though, is that you can still get a decent ride for like 20k.  I mean, it's an econobox, sure, but light years ahead of a Chevette or Pinto or something.

Been looking for a vehicle for my kid. The number of decent vehicles in the low 20’s is pretty amazing considering the number in the 6 figure range. Settled on an Escape with leather out the door after rebates for under $25k. If she wasn’t high maintenance like her mother, could have gone the cloth route for $20k.

Been looking for a vehicle for my kid. The number of decent vehicles in the low 20’s is pretty amazing considering the number in the 6 figure range. Settled on an Escape with leather out the door after rebates for under $25k. If she wasn’t high maintenance like her mother, could have gone the cloth route for $20k.
25k for a kids first car? You must be out your damn mind.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Brew said:

25k for a kids first car? You must be out your damn mind.

Ridiculous used market plus her covering the extra for the leather plus looking for certain safety features led to spending more than I had planned. 3-4 year old similar vehicles without the newest safety features were high teens.

Ridiculous used market plus her covering the extra for the leather plus looking for certain safety features led to spending more than I had planned. 3-4 year old similar vehicles without the newest safety features were high teens.
Again, fuck that. You want a nicer car, work for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I gotta say, the lane-keeping stuff makes me a better driver.  I always signal lane changes if anyone is within 2-3 car lengths of me, maybe more.  But when it's pretty wide open, I won't.  I even got a ticket for it in fucking Milford coming back from the 2005 Baylor baseball game.

But, thanks to lane keeping assist, I have to signal every lane change or I get my ass vibrated.

Probably good stuff for a new driver.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I gotta say, the lane-keeping stuff makes me a better driver.  I always signal lane changes if anyone is within 2-3 car lengths of me, maybe more.  But when it's pretty wide open, I won't.  I even got a ticket for it in fucking Milford coming back from the 2005 Baylor baseball game.

But, thanks to lane keeping assist, I have to signal every lane change or I get my ass vibrated.

Can you turn it off?  Asking for a friend whose wife bitches about him not using his blinker when he is in low-stress driving situations.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
7 hours ago, Brew said:

Again, fuck that. You want a nicer car, work for it.

Yes, and if any young college girls are looking for work, PM tx3putt

Nissan Leaf has 7.5k federal tax credit and 6k manufacturer rebate, and people can sometimes stack a couple of more incentives on top of that....for a significant discount off low 30s msrp.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Lane keeping assist, blind spot alerts, collision assist when someone in front of you brakes, high crash ratings, airbag layout, etc. were all worth it for me. Don’t really give a shit what anyone else thinks about spending 20k on a first vehicle with her covering a few thousand versus spending mid to high teens on a used. As far as the philosophy of going ultra cheap, that market doesn’t much exist right now for anything reliable and I was never going that way anyways.

Either way, my comment was in reference to Twice’s point that there are good options at the lower end of the market. We only hear about how expensive everything has gotten, but you can get a pretty nice vehicle in the low 20’s still.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Can you turn it off?  Asking for a friend whose wife bitches about him not using his blinker when he is in low-stress driving situations.

Yes.  I don't know if it's off-off or you have to do it every time you restart like engine on-off.  I've mostly learned to live with that, too.

The most ridiculous, but also probably safe aspect of it is that I have to put on my blinker on on-ramps on Central.  That's one of the few occasions where I get to open it up a little.  I've always thought it rather absurd to signal a "lane change" when you are merging onto a freeway or highway, as your intention is manifest.  But it's unnerving to drop the hammer and then have your seat start vibrating and the HUD flash.  The solution is simple enough.

Edited by TwiceHorn

As I was abusing a modified Infiniti Q50 on the expressway this morning, a Hyundai Veloster N (not familiar enough with them yet to be able to distinguish stock from modified) entered the fray and boatraced both of us. 

Really a surprisingly fast, nimble, and capable little car. I don't anticipate ever being in the market for something like that, and even if I was, I'd never consider buying one just because of what I assume is almost a design defect of rear visibility, but that being said, I was very impressed. 

CHIEF Jr. drove what extra beater we had around during high school (totaled one), wasn't a beater. But for college, he got a two year old Ram 1500 shortbed 4x4, single cab. They are a great value, we paid $22k for his with 20k miles, 395 hp Hemi. I didn't want him hauling around his buddies for liability reasons. He has put over 100k on it, all we have done is put on new shocks, and a battery. I've also always had a soft spot for single cab shorted 4x4s:

Shortbed.png

He has aftermarket rims and running lights since this photo. But it is a very practical, and easy to work on vehicle, if you have kids going off to college.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. drove what extra beater we had around during high school (totaled one), wasn't a beater. But for college, he got a two year old Ram 1500 shortbed 4x4, single cab. They are a great value, we paid $22k for his with 20k miles, 395 hp Hemi. I didn't want him hauling around his buddies for liability reasons. He has put over 100k on it, all we have done is put on new shocks, and a battery. I've also always had a soft spot for single cab shorted 4x4s:

Shortbed.png

He has aftermarket rims and running lights since this photo. But it is a very practical, and easy to work on vehicle, if you have kids going off to college.

CHIEF

I got the GM version for my first truck. Still have it 20 years later, as a deer lease truck.  Drove it thru college and several years after until I started making better money and got the diesel bug. It survived a pretty substantial wreck. Sign me up for getting the kid something safe > cheap. 

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

As I was abusing a modified Infiniti Q50 on the expressway this morning, a Hyundai Veloster N (not familiar enough with them yet to be able to distinguish stock from modified) entered the fray and boatraced both of us. 

Really a surprisingly fast, nimble, and capable little car. I don't anticipate ever being in the market for something like that, and even if I was, I'd never consider buying one just because of what I assume is almost a design defect of rear visibility, but that being said, I was very impressed. 

The new Veloster N is a dope ass compact.  I drove the i30N which is the north american Sonata hatchback version of the same car....it's basically a reincarnated 1990s integra type R.  Unfiltered, eager, agile...i think it looks neat too.

The best tossaway 2nd fun car in FWD format. (miata for RWD)

Shortbed.png
CHIEF

Guy with a truck in college means you can help people move. It makes you super popular a few times a year. Free beer, pizza and good way to possibly meet a nice lady.

And it also possibly means driving around with a bunch of other dumbasses in the bed. 

On one particularly in/glorious night (or very early morning - probably 4:30-5am?) of my collegiate experience, I recall about five or six of us tripping on acid and becoming so wild and unruly that we were kicked out of the house we had intended and originally planned to occupy all night, and the only way the host (whose shithole dump of a house we had significantly damaged throughout the night - one guy didn't say much for an hour besides "must make holes" if that gives you any idea...) could get us to go away was to let us leave with a half keg of beer. And it was too heavy and far for us to carry by hand to our next destination, so we put it in the back of Joe's shitty little Toyota pickup and drove it around campus, knocking on doors and throwing things at windows in the hopes of finding someone to let us darken their doorstep. 

As we drove around our small campus, those of us in the back of the truck continued drinking, and at some point (not sure what the catalyst was - forgive my imperfect memory...) we banged on Joe's driver's side window as though we had an urgent message for him. Joe didn't know quite what was going on, because he was tripping just as much as the rest of us were. 

We did have an urgent message for him, but the message was twelve or so ounces of Milwaukee's Best delivered straight into his face with a plastic cup because we couldn't get the keg tap to stretch far enough to spray it directly into his face. The truck was not stopped when any of this occurred. 

So yeah, get your kid a truck for college. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
RIP Joe.