The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Again, I’m out on what the Brits produce for the American market. I have mountains of repair receipts to prove why I hold that opinion.

I get it.  You seemed wont to defend the Defender, and I might agree that an ancient LR, which might include the pre-2020 Defender, is probably more reliable than these Indo-Chinese-British electromonstrosities.

Some time ago, I read an article explaining that the OG Land Rovers were purposely primitive (under powered, under braked, under everything) because Land Rover wanted their vehicles to be easily repaired in the bush using decades-old parts and parts stores in third world countries.  They got in trouble modernizing the vehicles.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I get it.  You seemed wont to defend the Defender, and I might agree that an ancient LR, which might include the pre-2020 Defender, is probably more reliable than these Indo-Chinese-British electromonstrosities.

To be fair, the reason I defend the Defender is because I rented one on an overseas trip many years ago. Probably the reason why I was willing to jump into buying a Discovery.   Different vehicle than what they send here.

35 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Again, I’m out on what the Brits produce for the American market. I have mountains of repair receipts to prove why I hold that opinion.

Same here. A Range Rover extended warranty is the most expensive on the planet. Had a buddy with a XJ6, told him to buy two because one is gonna be in the shop all the time, or drop the Chevy 350 conversion in it. The reason the Brits drink tepid beer is because Range Rover makes their refrigerators.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Same here. A Range Rover extended warranty is the most expensive on the planet. Had a buddy with a XJ6, told him to buy two because one is gonna be in the shop all the time, or drop the Chevy 350 conversion in it. The reason the Brits drink tepid beer is because Range Rover makes their refrigerators.

CHIEF 

*Lucas.

It's strange.  The Brits are, as a whole, very innovative people.  Radar, steam engines, jet engines, contributions to applied physics, lots of different stuff.  It may be that their "socialization" of workers and factories made their manufacturing a hot mess.  /noCR.

23 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I think it was Doug Demuro, but somebody was doing a review on a brand new Range and the display went out.....lulz.

49 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

TFL has had their Defender in their possession for like 5 days. It’s been at the shop for the other month+.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I have been seeing, from more than one outlet.

According to wiki, the last time the Defender was refreshed before 2020 was 1983.  So those Defenders, which are the ones that most of us would have had any experience with, are probably fairly reliable, if woefully underpowered and having driving dynamics like a Willys jeep.

Saw the note about the GC. I’ve had the same issue trying to figure out an SUV. I also have the complication of potentially wanting to pull a small/med boat, but don’t want to go truck or super large suv.

After looking at everything I actually took a serious look at the Lexus GX. Incredibly old technology but does okay off-road, has a v-8 that pulls a boat, is short enough to fit in the garage, and has very good Toyota reliability. Haven’t bought it because of the old technology, but haven’t written off yet either.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:10 AM, Dbeasy said:

Saw the note about the GC. I’ve had the same issue trying to figure out an SUV. I also have the complication of potentially wanting to pull a small/med boat, but don’t want to go truck or super large suv.

After looking at everything I actually took a serious look at the Lexus GX. Incredibly old technology but does okay off-road, has a v-8 that pulls a boat, is short enough to fit in the garage, and has very good Toyota reliability. Haven’t bought it because of the old technology, but haven’t written off yet either.

GX does very well offroad.  But yes, the tech is older.

1 minute ago, LebongJames said:

The president of our company just got a convertible Vette it’s pretty sweet but he has a 458 Spider so I don’t really understand the appeal when you have the real deal but I guess if you have the cash why not.

his 23 year old girlfriend has a tight pussy but every once in a while he wants to put it in her ass. 

also, driving the vette to keep depreciation off the spider probably pays for the vette by itself. 

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

his 23 year old girlfriend has a tight pussy but every once in a while he wants to put it in her ass. 

also, driving the vette to keep depreciation off the spider probably pays for the vette by itself. 

Smart, except I’d have an Aston Martin instead of the Spider.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Can't wait for the release of this bad boy.  Probably going to be the last of the naturally aspirated GT3's so should hold it's value like a champ.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34779787/2021-porsche-911-gt3-prototype-revealed/

Going to be game changer - double wishbone front suspension is a pretty serious statement from Porsche, as great as the handling is on the previous models, this is going to be a major improvement. They also keep pushing the envelope with aero, and I'm sure this thing will stick like glue.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, Atxracer said:

Can't wait for the release of this bad boy.  Probably going to be the last of the naturally aspirated GT3's so should hold it's value like a champ.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34779787/2021-porsche-911-gt3-prototype-revealed/

Happened upon this tonight.  Pretty good watch.

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1