The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 12/31/2020 at 2:27 PM, Assman said:

Cheesy?  Yes.  But you couldn't wipe the smile off my face when the 911 I rented in Stuttgart popped when I let off the gas.  Sport and Sport Plus mode for the win.

That is probably something different.  Pops and backfires tend to go with valve overlap/excess scavenging pressure.

If I had to guess, that's a variable valve operating mode with high lift and dwell so some of the intake charge leaks into the exhaust when you lift throttle, not an intentional "manufactured" exhaust sound.

That's what I meant about racing engines, or high-rpm engines.  Before variable valve lift and timing, race or high-rpm engines had aggressive valve timing and lift for best airflow near redline. Also mechanical fuel injection optimized only for near-redline operation. They ran like shit at low rpm, like loping idle, overrich, and too much fuel in the exhaust, hence popping and backfiring and maybe some flame, but that tends also to be associated with alcohol or racing fuel.

16 minutes ago, Parliament said:
On 12/30/2020 at 7:27 AM, 52-80 said:
Literally because of combustion inefficiency.  Many sportier cars bake in an exhaust option to make the crackling popcorn noises.  The noise/fire comes from extra fuel igniting in the exhaust by having dumped extra fuel there (like from overrich mixture) or changing the ignition timing. 

Manufacturered exhaust note is stupid. I blame young people.

Well, most manufactured exhaust is in cars young people can't begin to afford.

Everything technical about engines takes away from traditional exhaust notes compared to normally aspirated V8s or 12s or even flat 6s.

I just roll with it.  You don't expect an F1 car to sound like a Top Fuel Hemi or a NASCAR rig.

Brother in law bought a 2018 Ferrari 488 spider last Monday. Picked it up in San Antonio and was driving home to Houston. Stopped at bucees. Came out and there was a truck sitting by him writing a note. Guy didn’t see the car, backed into it. Broken headlight and scratch on front right bumper. He’s lucky the guy stuck around.

3 hours into owning it, $14k damage. I think he took it in Tuesday to get fixed.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I think the light alone was $4500. Scratch looked deep (cannot believe I didn’t get a pic when he pulled up). Don’t know if that matters.

Drove it around a bit and the light didn’t seem to have any effect (as if I would have noticed).

Fun car. Beats the hell out of the driving experience my suburban provides.

14K for a headlight and bumper scratch on a 488 could have been worse.

Not too long ago, a local car dealer sold out to a much bigger outfit.  He decided to "invest" in a rare limited edition Ferrari.  The day comes and he gets delivery of his investment and decides to drive it to the country club to show it off to anyone and everyone.  About half way down the driveway, some hack shanks a golf ball over the green and right into the door of his new investment.  Guy gets out and throws a fit threating everyone around until the hack finally owns up to it.  Repair was in the 30K neighborhood for a door ding.  The appreciative value of the car now in jeopardy due to the body work preformed.

A dealer once told me that before you buy a Ferrari, you should own a high end Porsche out of warranty.  If you can still afford to cover the costs of all the repairs and maintenance after a few years, you will be ready for a new Ferrari in warranty.  Just because you can afford to buy the car, doesn't mean you can afford to maintain the car.  When your Toyota needs repairs, its $1500.00.  When your Ferrari needs repairs, it $15,000.00

• Hook 'Em 1

14K for a headlight and bumper scratch on a 488 could have been worse.
Not too long ago, a local car dealer sold out to a much bigger outfit.  He decided to "invest" in a rare limited edition Ferrari.  The day comes and he gets delivery of his investment and decides to drive it to the country club to show it off to anyone and everyone.  About half way down the driveway, some hack shanks a golf ball over the green and right into the door of his new investment.  Guy gets out and throws a fit threating everyone around until the hack finally owns up to it.  Repair was in the 30K neighborhood for a door ding.  The appreciative value of the car now in jeopardy due to the body work preformed.
A dealer once told me that before you buy a Ferrari, you should own a high end Porsche out of warranty.  If you can still afford to cover the costs of all the repairs and maintenance after a few years, you will be ready for a new Ferrari in warranty.  Just because you can afford to buy the car, doesn't mean you can afford to maintain the car.  When your Toyota needs repairs, its $1500.00.  When your Ferrari needs repairs, it $15,000.00

Yeah, the old rule of thumb for Ferrari maintenance is $1 per mile you drive it. Probably a lot more than that now.

I was looking at used sports cars. When I was looking, I was in love with the R8.
However, the transmission repair that most sites said would need to be done at some point is north of $10k and is probably more now. You can get some used R8’s for $100k or so. Keeping them running is a whole other expense.

23 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Just because you can afford to buy the car, doesn't mean you can afford to maintain the car.  When your Toyota needs repairs, its $1500.00.  When your Ferrari needs repairs, it $15,000.00

You can try but you will not kill my dream of owning a 430 someday.  You are trying, but it’s not going to work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Welcome to the club. I’ve had mine for 54,000 miles and still love it.

Picked up last night.  Basically identical in every way to the pic posted above (which was another dealer).  

CPO, still under manufacture warranty (36/60), 26K miles.  Almost 17K for the trade-in.  It's big.  Loud.  Thirsty.  And fast as shit.  Even came with a tri-fold bed cover.  Seems to sit up higher than my Ford FX4 and it's damn sure throatier with the big 5.7 and dual exhaust.  Cabin is ridiculously large.   

On 1/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I wonder if they still hand beat body panels for the low-numbers supercars?

Most are moving to carbon fiber anyway or other super lightweight materials.  Be interesting to find out.  When we were in Italy years back, I wanted to visit the Ferrari museum but the logistics never worked out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Picked up last night.  Basically identical in every way to the pic posted above (which was another dealer).  
CPO, still under manufacture warranty (36/60), 26K miles.  Almost 17K for the trade-in.  It's big.  Loud.  Thirsty.  And fast as shit.  Even came with a tri-fold bed cover.  Seems to sit up higher than my Ford FX4 and it's damn sure throatier with the big 5.7 and dual exhaust.  Cabin is ridiculously large.   
Yeah, those are big ass trucks. Really nice, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, those are big ass trucks. Really nice, too.

Going from a quiet eco-boost to a dual-exhaust V8.......gives me a case of the happy pants.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:27 AM, 52-80 said:

Literally because of combustion inefficiency.  Many sportier cars bake in an exhaust option to make the crackling popcorn noises.  The noise/fire comes from extra fuel igniting in the exhaust by having dumped extra fuel there (like from overrich mixture) or changing the ignition timing. 

This is correct. However, sometimes it has some performance value. We use this technique in racing to help turbos spool faster at launch by igniting fuel in the hotside of the exhaust closer to the turbo. Before that technique was created you used to have to stand on the brake and gas for like a month, and then somehow quickly let off enough brake pressure to stage the thing without rolling through the beams. Going through converters was the norm. Now you can find launch controls that do the very same thing on higher end sports cars. How times have changed.

21 hours ago, G650 said:

Concours Blue. Pretty damned happy with it for sure.

Multi shade tan/brown interior.

That thing is gorgeous! I would be in the market for a Superleggera but my accountant(the wife) says the way my bank account is setup......

39 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I guess I forgot to upload a couple photos of the wife's Christmas present. We are headed into vball practice. For the record the wife is close to 5'10. Take a look at the size of my 12 year old..1acb36543590effff2b5658564e71e30.jpg87f4f349a8f5f69b7cd5ff5eefac4f38.jpg5416f7294c001c0e4bbdcd4a23267e8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Love the pics but posting your daughter around us fuckos while disguising the license plate has me concerned about your priorities.  

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
45 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
G650 that Aston is downright fire.  
Debating my next move.  Have the itch again - honestly covid had me so damn distracted I had forgotten about cars - until the S63 ended up in the shop.  FML

What happened to the Sprinter/ Maybach?

I’m very close to getting the phantom.  Was in one and nothing has presence like that damn thing.  Should have pics soon - I’ll likely order new S63 for being driven around in daily.  
May be able to steal a spot for the Maserati MC20 too.  Lots happening.  The S63 is past 100k and those were rough Chicago miles.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m very close to getting the phantom.  Was in one and nothing has presence like that damn thing.  Should have pics soon - I’ll likely order new S63 for being driven around in daily.  
May be able to steal a spot for the Maserati MC20 too.  Lots happening.  The S63 is past 100k and those were rough Chicago miles.  

Speaking of Christmas presents for the wife. We just got a S 63 as well. Man is that thing fun to drive. I will get some pics to post. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Love the pics but posting your daughter around us fuckos while disguising the license plate has me concerned about your priorities.  

If no mask no post. But masks so post. But point is solid.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Thatguy said:
I guess I forgot to upload a couple photos of the wife's Christmas present. We are headed into vball practice. For the record the wife is close to 5'10. Take a look at the size of my 12 year old..1acb36543590effff2b5658564e71e30.jpg87f4f349a8f5f69b7cd5ff5eefac4f38.jpg5416f7294c001c0e4bbdcd4a23267e8a.jpg

Very nice. Love my Audi.

She likes it. Still have the old Audi too. Kiddo is eyeing it for her 16th. Told her it won't be sitting in the driveway for 3.5 years. Right now we have 6 cars. I need to lighten the load a little since we only have 3 drivers. Lol

She likes it. Still have the old Audi too. Kiddo is eyeing it for her 16th. Told her it won't be sitting in the driveway for 3.5 years. Right now we have 6 cars. I need to lighten the load a little since we only have 3 drivers. Lol
I feel like i have too many with 3, spoon to be 4. We have 2 drivers.

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

5918324814892795408_23.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

5918324814892795408_23.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

That is a good looking interior on that thing man

16 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

G650 that Aston is downright fire.  

I am so happy with how it looks. Was obviously a question when ordering, never know till you see it.

I was at the dealer yesterday picking it up, and they had 3 others on the lot I saw when I arrived, which were pretty nice to look at as mine was back in the shop having the pre delivery inspection and a few other things done. A black one, a silver one, and an ice blue one. I did know that mine was the highest spec'ed one they have landed yet, but I was legit stunned when they pulled mine around. It was downright sex. The gloss black rockers and yellow calipers really set it off.

I was mildly surprised how average the low spec interior was on one of them that was kitted that. Not terrible by any stretch, but not quite what I would expect for 180k. Super happy with inside on mine though. Nice wood, great leather.

• Hook 'Em 3