The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I am so happy with how it looks. Was obviously a question when ordering, never know till you see it.

I was at the dealer yesterday picking it up, and they had 3 others on the lot I saw when I arrived, which were pretty nice to look at as mine was back in the shop having the pre delivery inspection and a few other things done. A black one, a silver one, and an ice blue one. I did know that mine was the highest spec'ed one they have landed yet, but I was legit stunned when they pulled mine around. It was downright sex. The gloss black rockers and yellow calipers really set it off.

I was mildly surprised how average the low spec interior was on one of them that was kitted that. Not terrible by any stretch, but not quite what I would expect for 180k. Super happy with inside on mine though. Nice wood, great leather.

The interior on yours is really great, love the look. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:32 AM, G650 said:

That is a good looking interior on that thing man

Thanks man. Wife likes it. Looks clean, and does everything she needs it to do. A voice pops up telling you that you left your mobile device in the vehicle(She does this a lot). It has sensors everywhere. Great for people who love curbing 20+inch rims.

Couple things I do not like. There is a weird red light that races around the dash into the front door panels when you first fire it up and put it in park. Apparently the start stop is not only activated by releasing the gas pedal, but when the car in front of you moves also. I had a car turning left in front of me cut a little too close and the Audi fired up. I would turn that feature off, but it's her car so she doesn't. There are some spots where the turbo lags pretty good, though it gets rolling once you get into the boost.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

G650 that Aston is downright fire.  

Debating my next move.  Have the itch again - honestly covid had me so damn distracted I had forgotten about cars - until the S63 ended up in the shop.  FML

This is where I've been. We put an IRS and full Terminator Cobra suspension under the now widebodied, old school, blown 5.0. It's been sitting at the homies shop since July waiting on a couple knick knacks and a fresh tune for the supercharger. He has been super busy and pushed the project to the side while he works on some customer cars, and I haven't even cared that much. What am I going to do with it? Can't take it to shows. I will start caring when it gets warm outside.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I've been trying to sort of organize my initial impressions of the DBX. One thing I can categorically state is that it's an Aston Martin. Gorgeous, elegant, and two or three WTF were they thinking items.

So the car looks awesome. It's stunning in person, better than the photos. The leather work is insanely good, and has the best Aston interior by a significant margin. The back seat is ridiculously big and roomy. Like more leg room than a Tahoe. The car is overall a lot bigger than it looks, and the rear end is very far aft, which gives so much room in the back seat. So all that is finominal. The head scratchers, no soft close doors, no HUD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The driving dynamics are out of this world. I mean, the best I've ever seen in an SUV by a monstrous margin. I still have the X5M for the time being, so I get to sort of AB test these two. The X5M is a bit more powerful, and probably a little quicker, but very, very minuscule difference. The glaring difference is the X5 is like a surgically precise sledghammer, and this thing is free as a bird. BMW basically out muscles physics with traction control, whereas Aston controls the mass so effortlessly with the suspension and power delivery it's utterly fluid. The Aston will disable the nannies and pretty much let you do donuts in the thing too. The X5 is planted 100% of the time. Which is good as it keeps you out of trouble, but dampens the spirit a bit. The sport exhaust is fantastic as well, perfect AM note, if a little quieter.

There's a few other odds and ends, but that is the gist of it until I get more time in.

This review catches the driving experience as good as anything I've seen, including exhaust note.

This is probably the best dive into the details, except this dude is fucking inept offroad.

10 minutes ago, G650 said:

So I've been trying to sort of organize my initial impressions of the DBX. One thing I can categorically state is that it's an Aston Martin. Gorgeous, elegant, and two or three WTF were they thinking items.

So the car looks awesome. It's stunning in person, better than the photos. The leather work is insanely good, and has the best Aston interior by a significant margin. The back seat is ridiculously big and roomy. Like more leg room than a Tahoe. The car is overall a lot bigger than it looks, and the rear end is very far aft, which gives so much room in the back seat. So all that is finominal. The head scratchers, no soft close doors, no HUD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The driving dynamics are out of this world. I mean, the best I've ever seen in an SUV by a monstrous margin. I still have the X5M for the time being, so I get to sort of AB test these two. The X5M is a bit more powerful, and probably a little quicker, but very, very minuscule difference. The glaring difference is the X5 is like a surgically precise sledghammer, and this thing is free as a bird. BMW basically out muscles physics with traction control, whereas Aston controls the mass so effortlessly with the suspension and power delivery it's utterly fluid. The Aston will disable the nannies and pretty much let you do donuts in the thing too. The X5 is planted 100% of the time. Which is good as it keeps you out of trouble, but dampens the spirit a bit. The sport exhaust is fantastic as well, perfect AM note, if a little quieter.

There's a few other odds and ends, but that is the gist of it until I get more time in.

This review catches the driving experience as good as anything I've seen, including exhaust note.

This is probably the best dive into the details, except this dude is fucking inept offroad.

With those tires, the DBX ain't doing shit offroad.  Maybe you can get out of a muddy parking lot.  Maybe.

Just now, G650 said:

Oh it easily can. I do better than that in my X5 with summer tires.

You can't defeat physics.  And as you know (yes, I know you used to build offroaders), tires are usually the weak link when going offroad.  Especially factory tires on an Aston Martin SUV.

My Landcruiser should be here in about an hour.  First thing I'm going to do to it is take off the factory tires for some proper ATs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You can't defeat physics.

But you can bend them more than most realize. Just off camera is a 4WD F250 buried to the axle I drove around with Pilot SS tires without so much as siping on them.

20190107-131033.jpg

I didn't just build offroad vehicles, I built 1000+ HP bog trucks. And I'm a dirt contractor, moving around off road is literally my job. Every time anyone mentions taking a performance SUV offroad there is some hilarious "ZOMG no it can't do anything remotely not pavement" which is inane.  No one is saying we are running the pit with these. It's saying they can run trails, ford low water, handle a few inches of mud in a package that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and is comfy as hell to be in, that's all. For instance in stock trim it will well outperform a new Landcruiser ( I'm a former LC owner btw) because of the bigger ground clearance, lower CG, and waaaay better traction control.

041105-010.jpg

041105-013.jpg

8-18-2007-Wastelands-168.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

But you can bend them more than most realize. Just off camera is a 4WD F250 buried to the axle I drove around with Pilot SS tires without so much as siping on them.

20190107-131033.jpg

I didn't just build offroad vehicles, I built 1000+ HP bog trucks. And I'm a dirt contractor, moving around off road is literally my job. Every time anyone mentions taking a performance SUV offroad there is some hilarious "ZOMG no it can't do anything remotely not pavement" which is inane.  No one is saying we are running the pit with these. It's saying they can run trails, ford low water, handle a few inches of mud in a package that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds and is comfy as hell to be in, that's all. For instance in stock trim it will well outperform a new Landcruiser ( I'm a former LC owner btw) because of the bigger ground clearance, lower CG, and waaaay better traction control.

041105-010.jpg

041105-013.jpg

8-18-2007-Wastelands-168.jpg

That last one has a bit of wtf lol to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

That last one has a bit of wtf lol to it.

Some fucking around a finding out. That is actually a buddies truck.

I did find some cool old photos rummaging around though that you would probably appreciate.

Bodatious-Apr01-005.jpg

Bodatious-Apr01-006.jpg

84-F150-006.jpg

tires-006.jpg

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Also, I have to say it, but all the leather on the steering wheel being the same really reminds me of this, in a bad way (I’m not a huge fan of overly luxurious interiors, though):

2896c47d6359e63223db43a2f7834c53.jpg

You only wish it was as awesome as this, though:

f2f59822c5288ffe8569ea82bd939a72.jpg

That burl wood inlay is tits.

42 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm sure the Aston is worlds better on the road. But offroad? Nope.

Luxo barge vs sports SUV.   Very compelling argument y'all got going on. 

Unless you mean "offroading" the caliche roads of Big Bend.  G650 has that BMW "offroad" on jobsites more than 95% of the people on this site that have 4x4's.  Y'all act like were talking LC's from 40 years ago.  

Luxo barge vs sports SUV.   Very compelling argument y'all got going on. 
Unless you mean "offroading" the caliche roads of Big Bend.  G650 has that BMW "offroad" on jobsites more than 95% of the people on this site that have 4x4's.  Y'all act like were talking LC's from 40 years ago.  

Offroading to me means mountain passes and Moab trails. LC does those very well.

Check out IH8MUD.com if you want to see what these beasts can do. All they need is better tires and some sliders.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Offroading to me means mountain passes and Moab trails. LC does those very well.

Check out IH8MUD.com if you want to see what these beasts can do. All they need is better tires and some sliders.

Yes, I'm sure it tears up the Rim and Helldorado just fine.  

I know it's got decent approach/departure angles and ground clearance, but it's just sub 6k pounds.  It is literally the same exact weight as my wifes Yukon XL, with an extra inch of ground clearance and 40 less HP.   It is what it is, a decently capable in stock trim luxo barge that will still be worth 30k in 25 years because LC owners are cultish. 

I’m very close to getting the phantom.  Was in one and nothing has presence like that damn thing.  Should have pics soon - I’ll likely order new S63 for being driven around in daily.  
May be able to steal a spot for the Maserati MC20 too.  Lots happening.  The S63 is past 100k and those were rough Chicago miles.  

Damn I feel like you just got that thing.

Yes, I'm sure it tears up the Rim and Helldorado just fine.  
I know it's got decent approach/departure angles and ground clearance, but it's just sub 6k pounds.  It is literally the same exact weight as my wifes Yukon XL, with an extra inch of ground clearance and 40 less HP.   It is what it is, a decently capable in stock trim luxo barge that will still be worth 30k in 25 years because LC owners are cultish. 

And it has a 661 RTI score stock. Your Yukon can't sniff that, and they are nothing alike apart from size. A Jeep Gladiator Rubicon scored 623. Tacoma TRD Pro got 492. New Land Rover Defender is 480 for the 4 door and 560 for the 2 door. Keeping your wheels in contact with the ground makes for a much better offroader.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/05/21/toyota-land-cruiser-lexus-lx-570-suspension-flex-test/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/gladiator-623-rti-score-whoops-colorado-and-tacoma-ramp-travel-index-test-score.14898/

Only stock 4wd I'm aware of to do better is a Wrangler Rubicon.

Like I said, check out IH8MUD.com. You'll gain a different perspective on what these trucks can do.

Just because most won't offroad them, due to the MSRP, doesn't mean they are not very capable.

Just now, Chewbacca said:
4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:
I've been there.  

You don't have to like them. But pretending they are something other than what they are is just stupid. If you don't want one, don't buy one.

I don't dislike them.  I just think its funny to act like you are busting up Moab with it.  People have an obsession with them like they are the LC of yore, easily fixed on the side of the road in the outback.  They are 100k, 5,700# luxo barges with good angles and Toyota "reliability" ie: 20 year old tech.    I'm glad it can tame the "stocker" trails in Moab.  It wouldn't do anything better on a beach or muddy pasture than anything else, and probably less competent than many in that regard. And that's what @G650 said, and you called him on it.   And unless he completely changes his style with the new ride, it will be offroad more often than almost everyone on this forum, as his Beemer was.    Nice ride man, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

I don't dislike them.  I just think its funny to act like you are busting up Moab with it.  People have an obsession with them like they are the LC of yore, easily fixed on the side of the road in the outback.  They are 100k, 5,700# luxo barges with good angles and Toyota "reliability" ie: 20 year old tech.    I'm glad it can tame the "stocker" trails in Moab.  It wouldn't do anything better on a beach or muddy pasture than anything else, and probably less competent than many in that regard. And that's what [mention=285]G650[/mention] said, and you called him on it.   And unless he completely changes his style with the new ride, it will be offroad more often than almost everyone on this forum, as his Beemer was.    Nice ride man, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

Whatever, dude. If you don't like them, don't buy one. There is a reason they have the following they have.

I have a 2002 LC with 222k miles. Everything works and is still worth 12-15k. How much is a 2002 Yukon with 222k miles worth?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Whatever, dude. If you don't like them, don't buy one. There is a reason they have the following they have.

I have a 2002 LC with 222k miles. Everything works and is still worth 12-15k. How much is a 2002 Yukon worth?

Tacoma have a following too.  7.3 guys too.  12v guys too.  All also known to overpay for their fetish. 

Fuck my '08 wasn't worth shit, so it was just retired to the lease, where it's going to be an epic quail/top drive.  That said, it wasn't 75k either.  But yeah, resale is not so bueno.  

I know Toyota people think they are the only ones that can accumulate miles, but that one has 235k trouble free miles (breaks and batteries).  And it didn't have the personality of a fucking washing machine.   It can't run the Moab, but it'll do really nice in South Texas chasing quail.

Tacoma have a following too.  7.3 guys too.  12v guys too.  All also known to overpay for their fetish. 
Fuck my '08 wasn't worth shit, so it was just retired to the lease, where it's going to be an epic quail/top drive.  That said, it wasn't 75k either.  But yeah, resale is not so bueno.  
I know Toyota people think they are the only ones that can accumulate miles, but that one has 235k trouble free miles (breaks and batteries).  And it didn't have the personality of a fucking washing machine.   It can't run the Moab, but it'll do really nice in South Texas chasing quail.

What other vehicle is engineered to have a 25 year service life? None of them. That's why Landcruisers of any age are worth more than their contemporaries.

I don't give a shit about chasing quail in South Texas. But you do you.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And you enjoy yours that will take a shit long before mine will.

I'm sure you could keep a 20 year old Yukon running, but why?

I don't have a 20 yo Yukon; you have an '02 Toyota you're enamored with.  I do have a 20 yo Silverado though that is built for...Offroading.  It was my first new truck, and I'll keep it forever.  The Yukon you are talking of is an 08 Denali we are sending to the ranch because the wife got a new one last week, and it's worth more to me down there than trying to get 5k out of a 12 yo kid hauler with 1/4m miles on it.  4wd, 400 hp, never had mechanical issues, so why not.  Going to make a great quail rig.  You don't care, so I'll assume you're not familiar, but that's a real thing.  It's what the poors down here do...

Here's a book on it:

http://www.texasquailrigs.com/shop

Edited by fattyflattie

I don't have a 20 yo Yukon; you have an '02 Toyota you're enamored with.  I do have a 20 yo Silverado though that is built for...Offroading.  It was my first new truck, and I'll keep it forever.  The Yukon you are talking of is an 08 Denali we are sending to the ranch because the wife got a new one last week, and it's worth more to me down there than trying to get 5k out of a 12 yo kid hauler with 1/4m miles on it.  4wd, 400 hp, never had mechanical issues, so why not.  Going to make a great quail rig.  You don't care, so I'll assume you're not familiar, but that's a real thing.  It's what the poors down here do...
Here's a book on it:
http://www.texasquailrigs.com/shop

I also have a 2021 Landcruiser I just got today.

Let me know when you want to go offroading with your built rig. I'm already here, but you can join me. I'll pick out some easy trails for you with my appliance.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I also have a 2021 Landcruiser I just got today.

Let me know when you want to go offroading with your built rig. I'm already here, but you can join me. I'll pick out some easy trails for you with my appliance.

Cool. I honestly hope you have fun; it's what they're for. 

• Like 1

1*0UcPEJrnK35bFMVrC4Pm9A.png

@Chewbaccapull it back a notch man. You were one that kicked the whole thing off. No one just popped in and said "Landcruisers suck" out of the blue. I said many times how much I love them (I think @Anton Chigurh

is a LC man too) and I am a former owner. I also can tell you that the last FC to be a true offroad machine in stock trim was the FJ80. It's all good man, just enjoy your new whip and don't make it a pissing contest.

• Hook 'Em 2