The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

13 hours ago, Brew said:

Finally got the wheels in last week for hers. They have gotten carried away with some of this tech. The video rear view mirror is a little much. I’m not sure I like the close up view of the person in the car behind me at the red light.

When I was driving with the video rear view I had a car full of sailboat racers. I was perturbed not to be able to see the heathens in the back.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:
He's done a vid on some that he'll never rid of.  The cannonball car is one.   
I love that house, well, the garage anyhow. 

But then you'd live close to Buzz. Life is about tradeoffs.

That would be pretty awesome, crashing some pool parties.  

I've done work in that area.  While it's very nice, I don't think I'm cut out for Atlanta area.   Waaaay too many people waaaaay too close together for me. 

Seriously, that house tho.  I used to watch some of Ed's videos on the reg, and he had one about it.  The garage is crazy nice, the drive, the area.  And I want to say he paid just sub 1m.   ALOT of money for sure, but you aren't getting that combo for anywhere close to where I am for that.   The times they've shown the inside, it's kind of odd.  But everything else is pretty on point, for me anyhow. 

That would be pretty awesome, crashing some pool parties.  
I've done work in that area.  While it's very nice, I don't think I'm cut out for Atlanta area.   Waaaay too many people waaaaay too close together for me. 
Seriously, that house tho.  I used to watch some of Ed's videos on the reg, and he had one about it.  The garage is crazy nice, the drive, the area.  And I want to say he paid just sub 1m.   ALOT of money for sure, but you aren't getting that combo for anywhere close to where I am for that.   The times they've shown the inside, it's kind of odd.  But everything else is pretty on point, for me anyhow. 
Shit, my house is 2300sf with a 3 car garage and it's close to that. I would love that house.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
He's done a vid on some that he'll never rid of.  The cannonball car is one.   
I love that house, well, the garage anyhow. 

But then you'd live close to Buzz. Life is about tradeoffs.

Fair

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Sabine Schmitz died of cancer.

Rotten. 

Not fair

About 60 years ago a friend of mine was dating a chick in Fort Worth who drove a black 1958 T-Bird with white interior.

She had dented the  body panel above the front grill just enough to jam the hood shut. She had been driving that car around for two years without ever having the hood opened for servicing the engine. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 10:20 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I'm aware.

What I mean is, after driving FWD for 20 years, and RWD for the last 10, I still kind of have to remind myself that I can use throttle steer with a RWD car.

That lift-throttle oversteer in the 911 is such an unusual behavior that it probably takes lots of time to remind yourself not to let up in a curve or turn.  No matter how intellectually conscious of that notion you may be.

it's not so much a thing anymore.  they have pretty much engineered that out of it starting with the 996, and it has gotten better every iteration.  It takes a ton to break loose the ass end of my 997C2S.  i had a 991 GT3 out on the track and couldn't break that one loose even trying to do it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

i had a 991 GT3 out on the track and couldn't break that one loose even trying to do it. 

Did you have TC on?  They will definitely break loose. But, I do agree that they are engineering it out. 997 was definitely looser than the 991.  

sorry this is a novel...feel free to skip over this one:

Ok I need some buying advice here...for a car I haven’t driven yet.  Given that the ‘22 Stingers are about to come out, I decided it was time to get serious about test driving + maybe buying a new ‘21 (new/CPO carry full 5/10 year warranty, used only 3/5).  Also the used market is insane and KBB has my 07 CTS-V ‘fair condition’ at about $11.5k trade in.  Timing seems right.  

They are apparently rare.  South Austin has a demo ‘21 black/black GT1 listed for $40 and a white/red GT1 for $43k.  Despite calling and driving 1.5 hour round trip from Cedar Park last week, the demo wasn’t at their dealer Friday so they’re supposed to call me when it’s back.  I have no fear of a demo car with full warranty.  

GT2 despite a few desirable options are not worth the extra $5k to me, SW Kia Austin had one at $49k but treated me like they were doing me a favor just to look at it so fuck them.  I want to spend about $40k max before taxes/etc.  

Used ones are rare too, with even 2018 GT2 with ~30k miles listed between $35-38k asking price.  I therefore don’t expect to get much in concessions.

Only reasons I’m considering my first ever new car purchase are because I want the long warranty on an unknown quantity newer model and the used ones aren’t that much of a bargain.  I may have recency bias because my V has turned into a pile of shit, but if I’m forking around $40k for a car I don’t want to be worried about big shit breaking.  

So pardon the long post here but I’m trying to decide on a strategy.  Kia says the $2500 off for financing ends on the 31st so time may be running out.

1) Aggressively pursue that demo, see what they’ll offer me for the V, and expect them not to budge much on the price as these seem in demand.  If they low ball the V trade (admittedly a car they can’t really sell and needs a unique buyer) I’ll put $5k down and take my time getting the V in great shape for private sale.  

2) Pull the plug now and wait for the market to chill out, focusing on getting the V fixed up (100k miles, stock, needs a cat, two door actuators and a detail) and go back to my original plan on finding a holdover ‘21 / gently used Stinger mid-summer when the new 22’s are out and there may be more wiggle room on price or find a trade in.  

3) Similar to above but broaden my car search beyond Stingers.  

Ive posted in the past here about my car search, and settled on the Stinger because I want a warranty, room for my young kids, similar performance, newer safety features and not an older BMW/Audi/V where parts are expensive.  Love the Genesis G70 but no discounts right now and trunk/back seat are tiny.  Stinger seems to check the boxes and owners love them, again though I haven’t even driven on.  

Edited by Homercles

On 3/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, Homercles said:

sorry this is a novel...feel free to skip over this one:

Ok I need some buying advice here...for a car I haven’t driven yet.  Given that the ‘22 Stingers are about to come out, I decided it was time to get serious about test driving + maybe buying a new ‘21 (new/CPO carry full 5/10 year warranty, used only 3/5).  Also the used market is insane and KBB has my 07 CTS-V ‘fair condition’ at about $11.5k trade in.  Timing seems right.  

They are apparently rare.  South Austin has a demo ‘21 black/black GT1 listed for $40 and a white/red GT1 for $43k.  Despite calling and driving 1.5 hour round trip from Cedar Park last week, the demo wasn’t at their dealer Friday so they’re supposed to call me when it’s back.  I have no fear of a demo car with full warranty.  

GT2 despite a few desirable options are not worth the extra $5k to me, SW Kia Austin had one at $49k but treated me like they were doing me a favor just to look at it so fuck them.  I want to spend about $40k max before taxes/etc.  

Used ones are rare too, with even 2018 GT2 with ~30k miles listed between $35-38k asking price.  I therefore don’t expect to get much in concessions.

Only reasons I’m considering my first ever new car purchase are because I want the long warranty on an unknown quantity newer model and the used ones aren’t that much of a bargain.  I may have recency bias because my V has turned into a pile of shit, but if I’m forking around $40k for a car I don’t want to be worried about big shit breaking.  

So pardon the long post here but I’m trying to decide on a strategy.  Kia says the $2500 off for financing ends on the 31st so time may be running out.

1) Aggressively pursue that demo, see what they’ll offer me for the V, and expect them not to budge much on the price as these seem in demand.  If they low ball the V trade (admittedly a car they can’t really sell and needs a unique buyer) I’ll put $5k down and take my time getting the V in great shape for private sale.  

2) Pull the plug now and wait for the market to chill out, focusing on getting the V fixed up (100k miles, stock, needs a cat, two door actuators and a detail) and go back to my original plan on finding a holdover ‘21 / gently used Stinger mid-summer when the new 22’s are out and there may be more wiggle room on price or find a trade in.  

3) Similar to above but broaden my car search beyond Stingers.  

Ive posted in the past here about my car search, and settled on the Stinger because I want a warranty, room for my young kids, similar performance, newer safety features and not an older BMW/Audi/V where parts are expensive.  Love the Genesis G70 but no discounts right now and trunk/back seat are tiny.  Stinger seems to check the boxes and owners love them, again though I haven’t even driven on.  

I've been in the same boat looking at Stingers. Kia dealerships have really taken the standard crappy dealership experience to the next level. It's a compelling car, but if Kia corp doesn't get a handle on this, it is going to smother a bunch of potential sales. I have come to the conclusion that Carvana/Vroom may be the best way to go. Get a car still under warranty and then compare the Kia warranty vs Carvana's extended warranty if I have concerns beyond the initial milage. Both Carvana and Vroom can get you a quick and easy upfront offer on the V with a few pics and a few questions answered. They were miles above what I could get for my Wrangler trying to sell it myself locally or the trade in offers. 

There is a 2020 GT1 on Carvana now for $41,5XX less than 7K miles

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, topochico said:

I've been in the same boat looking at Stingers. Kia dealerships have really taken the standard crappy dealership experience to the next level. It's a compelling car, but if Kia corp doesn't get a handle on this, it is going to smother a bunch of potential sales. I have come to the conclusion that Carvana/Vroom may be the best way to go. Get a car still under warranty and then compare the Kia warranty vs Carvana's extended warranty if I have concerns beyond the initial milage. Both Carvana and Vroom can get you a quick and easy upfront offer on the V with a few pics and a few questions answered. They were miles above what I could get for my Wrangler trying to sell it myself locally or the trade in offers. 

There is a 2020 GT1 on Carvana now for $41,5XX less than 7K miles

Yeah the south Austin dealer never called me back nor answered my texts.  It has turned me off to the Stinger in general.  

I see a gorgeous G80 3.3T / Sport everyday picking up my boy from school, and been researching them.  May go try to find one to test driver as they’re under $35k for an ‘18, have the features from the GT2 I wanted and same motor...and seem a lot easier to find.  Plus after getting run around from two Kia dealers, I think I’m out.  

I barely work the V hard anymore either, so am ready to take a step down in performance and up a bit in features/luxury.  

Edited by Homercles

13 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Just sharing some excitement in this messed up world.  Today is the day the ordering of the 992 GT3 opened up.  This bad boy is now ordered and should be here by the end of the year.  Manual box (cause fun) and no PCCB's (cause they suck to replace), bucket seats (cause harness) and shark blue sticking with carbon on the interior.  Feels like Christmas morning.   

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.50.15 AM.png

Bad ass, met with a client today that has a ‘16 GT3RS that he has managed to put 500 miles on. He is working on ordering a ‘21 Turbo S now. I offered to drive them for him every other week or so to make sure they got some use.

• Rage+1 1

Bad ass, met with a client today that has a ‘16 GT3RS that he has managed to put 500 miles on. He is working on ordering a ‘21 Turbo S now. I offered to drive them for him every other week or so to make sure they got some use.
I'll never understand people who buy cars and don't drive them. 500 miles in 5 years? Fuck that.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

There is a lot to his story, but I will say due to medical circumstances there are reasons he rarely drives it that are legitimate. Some people want to see things they haven’t, some want to have things they have always wanted.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brew said:

There is a lot to his story, but I will say due to medical circumstances there are reasons he rarely drives it that are legitimate. Some people want to see things they haven’t, some want to have things they have always wanted.

Certainly understandable. It's just very rare to see that low of usage in what is a driver and not a showpiece. Hell, I put 300 miles on my DBX just on the way home from the dealer.

• Like 1

So he can drive a Turbo S but not a GT3RS?

Just has always seemed strange to me, that's all. It's his money, he can buy what he wants.

Congrats!  That’s awesome. The Porsche options certainly add up quickly.  I bounced back and forth between black, gentian and shark blue for awhile and finally came up with, it’s a GT3, it needs a color so black was out and the gentian looked more elegant and didn’t belong on a GT3 (also I could get the wheel stripe, interior stitching and seatbelts in shark). IMO only, the C2S can carry whatever color it wants (except maybe yellow because in my messed up head that is reserved for very high end cars not including the GT3). For options, the front axle lift, at least on a GT3, is pretty mandatory and will probably be nice on a C2S.  

Are you at Porsche Austin?  If so, was told mine arrives in November so we would probably be on the same boat.