The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Congrats!  That’s awesome. The Porsche options certainly add up quickly.  I bounced back and forth between black, gentian and shark blue for awhile and finally came up with, it’s a GT3, it needs a color so black was out and the gentian looked more elegant and didn’t belong on a GT3 (also I could get the wheel stripe, interior stitching and seatbelts in shark). IMO only, the C2S can carry whatever color it wants (except maybe yellow because in my messed up head that is reserved for very high end cars not including the GT3). For options, the front axle lift, at least on a GT3, is pretty mandatory and will probably be nice on a C2S.  

Are you at Porsche Austin?  If so, was told mine arrives in November so we would probably be on the same boat.  

Thanks. I have always felt like a sports car that costs 6 figures + has to be a bold color. Agree with yellow though I think it does work on the GT cars. For now I’m sticking with shark with a black interior and chalk stitching. We will see how long before I change my mind... I am going through Porsche north Houston. Are you expecting to pay an ADM for the gt3? Rennlist is reporting some ridiculous asks on the ADMs but I guess that’s the market right now 

18 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Thanks. I have always felt like a sports car that costs 6 figures + has to be a bold color. Agree with yellow though I think it does work on the GT cars. For now I’m sticking with shark with a black interior and chalk stitching. We will see how long before I change my mind... I am going through Porsche north Houston. Are you expecting to pay an ADM for the gt3? Rennlist is reporting some ridiculous asks on the ADMs but I guess that’s the market right now 

DM sent. 

7 hours ago, 936horn said:

Well not quite the baller above with the GT3 (although the more time I spend on the configurator the closer I get to the gt3 MSRP) but I snagged a MY2022 allocation for a C2S. Now I get to fuck around with configs for a while. Likely a Nov delivery is what I’m being told. I’ve waited my whole life to own a 911 and my one regret is not being able to do Euro delivery right now but oh well. Here’s my current spec that will no doubt change 20 times before the build locks. I’m between gentian and shark blue. Shark looks awesome but I’m not sure if it’s too poser on a non-gt car

image.jpeg.910e2afadd12dda43d8a8b77f487de6c.jpeg

How long is European Delivery suspended for?  Things should be a lot better by then.  I will do that once in my lifetime.

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

How long is European Delivery suspended for?  Things should be a lot better by then.  I will do that once in my lifetime.

The sales guy said they expect it to return by 2022 but unsure about end of year. I obviously told him if it opens back up before my build date I want to do that but I am not hopeful. Between slower vaccine rollout in EU and variants popping up he said Porsche is taking it very cautiously. 

58 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

What mods did that Subaru have?  I just can’t see any 1989 car pulling that off.  And I’ve got a ton of respect for Subaru.  That record and when it was set is absolutely legendary.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Few more laps and one of their current models would need a new head gasket. 

Yes, I should have stated that past era of Subaru.  They’ve definitely fallen off as far as reliability.  I don’t know why but it seems odd considering even the traditionally shitty domestic brands have improved quite a bit.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, I should have stated that past era of Subaru.  They’ve definitely fallen off as far as reliability.  I don’t know why but it seems odd considering even the traditionally shitty domestic brands have improved quite a bit.  

I think they've made the decision that since the HG issues crop up after 100k, it's not their problem.  Which it technically isn't but I know I would never consider or recommend another Subie because of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

What mods did that Subaru have?  I just can’t see any 1989 car pulling that off.  And I’ve got a ton of respect for Subaru.  That record and when it was set is absolutely legendary.  

Just roll bars, fuel cells, and aerodynamic wheel discs. 

https://subarudrive.com/articles/15-2-legacy-endurance-record-attempt

20 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Got damn. Surly pulling out all the stops.  Had to get in on the fun.  Have had the deposit down on the Maserati MC20.  Finally got to configure it.  Can’t fucking wait!

As an aside, I way underestimated or maybe outright didn't consider how long it takes to order a car when you have to pick out literally every single option manually. I spent hours on the configurator trying to order my DBX.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

As an aside, I way underestimated or maybe outright didn't consider how long it takes to order a car when you have to pick out literally every single option manually. I spent hours on the configurator trying to order my DBX.

This sounds insane but it's the number one reason I've never gotten around to ordering a Singer.  Spend some time on their configurator - It's completely overwhelming.  One day...

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This sounds insane but it's the number one reason I've never gotten around to ordering a Singer.  Spend some time on their configurator - It's completely overwhelming.  One day...

No I totally feel you.

So thinking about jumping in the Porsche world now that I have the olds. A few things....

I WILL modify the car. I always do no matter how hard I try not to. So a collector type Porsche is out of the question. I will also put a lot of miles on it as I like to drive and live in Houston. I want it to be comfortable, and while I know most of you love the manual it will be a PDK this time as I have had my fill on stick cars, and absolutely love the sound of a hard shifting dual clutch. What say ye experts.

Edited by Thatguy

58 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

So thinking about jumping in the Porsche world now that I have the olds. A few things....

I WILL modify the car. I always do no matter how hard I try not to. So a collector type Porsche is out of the question. I will also put a lot of miles on it as I like to drive and live in Houston. I want it to be comfortable, and while I know most of you love the manual it will be a PDK this time as I have had my fill on stick cars, and absolutely love the sound of a hard shifting dual clutch. What say ye experts.

1995-porsche-cayenne-what-if-the-legenda

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 4/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Thatguy said:

Lol...That's how y'all are going to do me?

Hah, it’s really what you want is a pretty open question. For a daily, I would go 911 turbo (or something in that line not including GT cars other than the GTS) panamera GTS or Cayenne GTS. I like the GTS’s over the the turbos because you feel the road better and not as much sway.  From my understanding, it’s the same motor but with the turbo not turned up as much and has a different transmission. 

As far as modifying, Porsche engineers are kinda good so, other than maybe an exhaust, I would stay away from that.  They are also expensive to fix and work on outside of warranty.  

I did flash and put an exhaust on a 996 turbo. Worst idea ever. Burned through spark plugs in 3k miles which was a 5k fix.  

On 4/6/2021 at 9:56 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Thanks my man.  Bit jealous you're getting that track time in.  Been way too long for me.  Hopefully can get some of these put to proper use soon.  

If you ever bring one down to COTA, let me know and I will meet you.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I did flash and put an exhaust on a 996 turbo. Worst idea ever. Burned through spark plugs in 3k miles which was a 5k fix.  

Uh, I gotta question the competence of your flash company or your shop. Tuning a 996tt is a no-brainer, mine went 60k mi with tune and exhaust making near 500wheel with zero change to regular maintenance. This is echoed by just about every tuner on those cars.

And then plugs don't cost anywhere near 5k to do, even at a dealer.

Do you track yours?  That’s what they blamed it on. 

It was a long time ago but i had an exhaust put on it and flashed it myself.  Within 3k miles (a decent amount track) had to take it in. 

it was was the dealer in Houston that replaced them.  Main part I recall (this was back in 2010 ish) is the car wouldn’t start, they either had to drop the engine or remove the inter coolers to get to the plugs and the bill was 5k. To be fair, I easily could have had them do something else while they were there though but don’t recall. 

After that car, haven’t modified one since other than exhaust.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Do you track yours?  That’s what they blamed it on. 

It got somewhere 10-20 track days in that time. Your experience is really a fluke (speaking about the 996/7 turbos) and there was something wrong with your tune or your car. Those 2 gens of cars are effectively bulletproof to tune, only risk being bending connecting rods with too much torque on a stock internal engine.

14 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Your experience is really a fluke (speaking about the 996/7 turbos) and there was something wrong with your tune or your car.

You know what, that's the car that got t-boned by someone running a red light and for some reason insurance didn't total it.  When I got it back, the turbo's didn't work and then they had to put new turbos on it. The flash and exhaust was after that.  Certainly understand that motor was supposed to be bullet proof so could be residual from the wreck. The car was never "right" again after that so traded it in (same dealer as above and knew about the wreck).  /csb

IMG_1883.JPG

• Rage+1 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, elfenix said:

These Golf Allroads sure are getting ugly

e8bb16c4d465c070402e77ede301e196.jpg

My next door neighbor has one of these in the driveway frequently.  Really looks like a tricked out Audi Q8.  That's what I thought it was when I first saw it.  I didn't have as much ooh/aah for it after that, as in my mind I was looking at an Audi (NTTAWWT).  By the way, I don't live in a Lambo neighborhood (more like F150/Minivan), so I don't know all the circumstances that bring that vehicle to my 'hood.  

45 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

By the way, I don't live in a Lambo neighborhood (more like F150/Minivan), so I don't know all the circumstances that bring that vehicle to my 'hood.  

Same, but we have 2 Huracans and a Urus within 5-6 streets of my house.  I don’t get it but I guess if you can swing it swing it. 

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

I know it's been said before, but what possesses someone to buy this shit? There are a lot of ugly vehicles on the road, but this one has me shaking my head everytime

Lol, my wife actually wanted me to get her this car....Hard Pass!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Okie State said:

I know it's been said before, but what possesses someone to buy this shit? There are a lot of ugly vehicles on the road, but this one has me shaking my head everytime.ac874dbd565eb684d12b256a54d985f2.jpgf360d556d6eacec9b1d9d0371f0ca70f.jpg

I know people with these SUVcoupes and their personality matches their cars exactly 

• Like 1

I know people with these SUVcoupes and their personality matches their cars exactly 

My theory is auto manufacturers have done the greatest marketing job in business history by turning an appliance into an extension of their customers personality. Everyone’s car matches their personality now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

I know it's been said before, but what possesses someone to buy this shit? There are a lot of ugly vehicles on the road, but this one has me shaking my head everytime.ac874dbd565eb684d12b256a54d985f2.jpgf360d556d6eacec9b1d9d0371f0ca70f.jpg

And, from what I understand, whatever utility is granted by the hatchback is taken away by the low roofline in back.

I think the worst aesthetic feature of them is the overgrown wheels and tires.

On the other hand, the "gran coupe" things have finally started to grow on me a bit.  The A7 was the first I noticed and I was confused by it, especially as I was hoping for an actual 2-door coupe on the A6 platform.  But I began to like its looks at least.  The 5- and 4- series variants have actually begun to grow on me too.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

On the other hand, the "gran coupe" things have finally started to grow on me a bit.  The A7 was the first I noticed and I was confused by it, especially as I was hoping for an actual 2-door coupe on the A6 platform.  But I began to like its looks at least.  The 5- and 4- series variants have actually begun to grow on me too.

That is until you try and sit in the backseat. I love the look of the 7 and we were in the market for one, but if you are taller than 5'8 the backseat is a beating.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That is until you try and sit in the backseat. I love the look of the 7 and we were in the market for one, but if you are taller than 5'8 the backseat is a beating.

Yep.  I was going to get an S7 until I sat in the backseat of one.  That's why I have an S6.  I have to sit with my head at an angle to sit in that backseat.  Form over function.

• Hook 'Em 1