The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Used pricing on 911s is bonkers. Drove a 2016 GTS yesterday with 10k miles. It originally sold for $125k. It is priced at $135k.

Pricing is nuts now.. A buddy of mine just paid 10k over the original sticker for a 2018 GT3 with 6k miles and certified and think he got a pretty decent deal. He is in Austin and car came from a South Carolina if that makes any difference. 

Pricing is nuts now.. A buddy of mine just paid 10k over the original sticker for a 2018 GT3 with 6k miles and certified and think he got a pretty decent deal. He is in Austin and car came from a South Carolina if that makes any difference. 
GT3 i can see, though. But a GTS?

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

GT3 i can see, though. But a GTS?

That’s kinda what I meant by I think he got a good deal at 10k over. I wouldn’t think the GTS would pull that kinda premium.

I just got rid of the Panamera GTS from a lot of pages ago on here and it dropped about 40k in 2 years.  But, that’s a Panamera and not a 911. 

ps, for those of you that said a Panamera was a terrible dad car (i think goofy and g650)...I’m not saying you were right. But, certainly not saying you were wrong either.  Cool car but about as practical as a 911. 

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

s, for those of you that said a Panamera was a terrible dad car (i think goofy and g650)...I’m not saying you were right. But, certainly not saying you were wrong either.  Cool car but about as practical as a 911. 

ViciousUnsteadyGuernseycow-size_restrict

I can't claim complete prescience in this matter though, talking to guys in the past who have tried to pull it off, I had come to the conclusion for 99% of people it will just not be as fun as they imagined.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:06 PM, Atxracer said:

That’s kinda what I meant by I think he got a good deal at 10k over. I wouldn’t think the GTS would pull that kinda premium.

I just got rid of the Panamera GTS from a lot of pages ago on here and it dropped about 40k in 2 years.  But, that’s a Panamera and not a 911. 

ps, for those of you that said a Panamera was a terrible dad car (i think goofy and g650)...I’m not saying you were right. But, certainly not saying you were wrong either.  Cool car but about as practical as a 911. 

As a panamera gts driver i have to disagree.  Of course i only have one kid, but it's pretty damn easy to haul everything he needs along with a buddy or two while hauling ass.  I love the thing and find it a more than practical and useful daily driver/kid hauler compared to the 911 i drove daily for damn near 15 years.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it a damn good compromise for someone who spent decades of seat time in a 911?  absofuckinglutely.  

Oh, I certainly think it's more practical than a 911.  The comparison was more tongue in cheek.  My main issue was the storage and having to fall into/climb out every time I moved and bend way down to put the kid in and out. Wanted something a little bigger/higher.  

On 5/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, Okie State said:

I get it, but I'd just wait it out unless you have to buy now. Buying at the peak is never a good idea.

I thought this with several watches.  I guess they may come down but let's just be very clear and say we don't know where the hell the peak is.  We do, however, know that you only live once...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I thought this with several watches.  I guess they may come down but let's just be very clear and say we don't know where the hell the peak is.  We do, however, know that you only live once...
Yeah that's true. Very few cars hold value or appreciate like a watch can though. Maybe these ones do they're talking about. I'm not exactly in the market for them so I don't know.

Besides, you have fuck you money so who gives a shit if it's the peak!? Can't take it with you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'll keep looking and probably buy when i find what i want. Didn't expect that kind of pricing, though.

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

Yeah that's true. Very few cars hold value or appreciate like a watch can though. Maybe these ones do they're talking about. I'm not exactly in the market for them so I don't know.

Besides, you have fuck you money so who gives a shit if it's the peak!? Can't take it with you.

Totally agree - the comment was tongue in cheek.  Cars are certainly not like watches in that regard.  And no matter what money you have it still pisses you off if you get screwed.  And no matter how many times I try to buy low or sell high...it's damn near impossible to nail it.  

Totally agree - the comment was tongue in cheek.  Cars are certainly not like watches in that regard.  And no matter what money you have it still pisses you off if you get screwed.  And no matter how many times I try to buy low or sell high...it's damn near impossible to nail it.  
Ha, gotcha.

On second thought maybe now is the time to buy. A Toyota Corolla is gonna cost $100K after hyper inflation gets through with us.
  • Haha 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-little-car-company

The Company Building Tiny, Drivable Replicas of Iconic Luxury Cars

Founded in 2019, Little Car specializes in building exact-but-shrunk re-creations of iconic cars. Shrunk, that is, including the price: Stickers can run from $37,000 to almost $80,000 depending on the level of customization.

In addition to the elements collectors loved in the original car, such as the four-spoke steering wheel and leather seating, the 13-horsepower whimsy contains modern upgrades found in conventionally sized modern cars—things like adjustable dampers, multiple power modes, and LED headlights, plus that electric motor. Regenerative braking on Brembo brakes prolongs battery life as you drive around your home track or estate grounds. (No, it’s not street legal.) A special “Speed Key” unlocks the full 10-kilowatt battery power and lifts the 30-mph top-speed limiter that’s otherwise engaged under lower power modes, just as a special key unlocks extra power and speed in the modern Bugatti Chiron.

“This is not for babies,” Beerens says. “This is for big boys.”

1400x-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-little-car-company

The Company Building Tiny, Drivable Replicas of Iconic Luxury Cars

Founded in 2019, Little Car specializes in building exact-but-shrunk re-creations of iconic cars. Shrunk, that is, including the price: Stickers can run from $37,000 to almost $80,000 depending on the level of customization.

In addition to the elements collectors loved in the original car, such as the four-spoke steering wheel and leather seating, the 13-horsepower whimsy contains modern upgrades found in conventionally sized modern cars—things like adjustable dampers, multiple power modes, and LED headlights, plus that electric motor. Regenerative braking on Brembo brakes prolongs battery life as you drive around your home track or estate grounds. (No, it’s not street legal.) A special “Speed Key” unlocks the full 10-kilowatt battery power and lifts the 30-mph top-speed limiter that’s otherwise engaged under lower power modes, just as a special key unlocks extra power and speed in the modern Bugatti Chiron.

“This is not for babies,” Beerens says. “This is for big boys.”

1400x-1.jpg

That's kinda cool but, also pretty odd for a grown man to be in the car, unless of course he is a giant.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

On 5/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, Chewbacca said:

Used pricing on 911s is bonkers. Drove a 2016 GTS yesterday with 10k miles. It originally sold for $125k. It is priced at $135k.

pricing on everything is bonkers.  all the rental agencies sold their fleets last year as no one was renting (hertz went bankrupt - remember that?).  now there's an expected travel crunch but the rental agencies can't buy new cars (ford had to shut down bronco production) so they're buying used cars at auction for rent. 

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

pricing on everything is bonkers.  all the rental agencies sold their fleets last year as no one was renting (hertz went bankrupt - remember that?).  now there's an expected travel crunch but the rental agencies can't buy new cars (ford had to shut down bronco production) so they're buying used cars at auction for rent. 

So will it plateau and then fall or are we simply establishing the new floor?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Always a delight to see these. License plate is a little on the nose though... 

I know never had a chance at happening (for a bunch of reasons, both valid and stupid) but I really wish that Buick would have made a truly bonkers version of the Regal wagon. They probably could have cleaned up the small but devoted market for people who can spend $50-60k on a sporty wagon but not the $110k for the Audi or Mercedes. 

20210513_141958.jpg

2020-Opel-Insignia-GSi-11.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Always a delight to see these. License plate is a little on the nose though... 
I know never had a chance at happening (for a bunch of reasons, both valid and stupid) but I really wish that Buick would have made a truly bonkers version of the Regal wagon. They probably could have cleaned up the small but devoted market for people who can spend $50-60k on a sporty wagon but not the $110k for the Audi or Mercedes. 
20210513_141958.thumb.jpg.8592de633c6a989a141192049c63a0f2.jpg
2020-Opel-Insignia-GSi-11.jpg.a77f7b4d9eeb4bfb04a1505e4fe46e19.jpg
I'm pretty sure I've seen one in Houston with that plate on it.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Closest I could get is an E450 wagon which will definitely be on the list when the time comes. Still hoping to find a house with a three car garage so I can retire the SS to a weekend toy and buy a wagon for my daily.

Try to find a 4 if you can.  Trust me.  We missed on a 5 car in our neighborhood that still haunts me.  But 4’s are at least somewhat available. 

From my understanding, this will vary by dealership. For the one here, if you want a non GT car, should be pretty straight forward and at MSRP. You should be able to do the car configurator, place your deposit and done. Or, if you want to go baller style, you can go to the dealership and do the full on personalized experience and change just about anything on the car you want for money.  

For the GT cars (excluding the GT4), you are going to need a relationship with the dealer, money, or both.  I have heard of people getting them at MSRP but that just doesn’t sound right unless you have huge status with your dealer. But, possibly if you call around enough also? For here, to get the round one allocation, you had to go 50k over or be a VIP with them or some combination of those two for the first 4 or 5 allocations (not me). For round two, you are some lesser version of the round one people with either less money over MSRP or status (me). Not sure about subsequent rounds but it will probably get to a point down the road where you can order at or close to MSRP.  At this point, from what I hear at least, all allocations are spoken for the next 2 years.  

From my understanding, this will vary by dealership. For the one here, if you want a non GT car, should be pretty straight forward and at MSRP. You should be able to do the car configurator, place your deposit and done. Or, if you want to go baller style, you can go to the dealership and do the full on personalized experience and change just about anything on the car you want for money.  

For the GT cars (excluding the GT4), you are going to need a relationship with the dealer, money, or both.  I have heard of people getting them at MSRP but that just doesn’t sound right unless you have huge status with your dealer. But, possibly if you call around enough also? For here, to get the round one allocation, you had to go 50k over or be a VIP with them or some combination of those two for the first 4 or 5 allocations (not me). For round two, you are some lesser version of the round one people with either less money over MSRP or status (me). Not sure about subsequent rounds but it will probably get to a point down the road where you can order at or close to MSRP.  At this point, from what I hear at least, all allocations are spoken for the next 2 years.  
That's what i was afraid of. Thanks

On 5/15/2021 at 5:33 AM, Atxracer said:

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 5/15/2021 at 5:33 AM, Atxracer said:

That's what i was afraid of. Thanks

Yeah, it's like that with all the high end cars domestic and foreign. That's why you need to have a guy. There are a lot of Longhorns who run dealerships. I have a Mercedes guy, but unfortunately no Porsche guy.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:07 PM, Okie State said:

Closest I could get is an E450 wagon which will definitely be on the list when the time comes. Still hoping to find a house with a three car garage so I can retire the SS to a weekend toy and buy a wagon for my daily.

In case it's useful - from the September 2020* C&D Audi A6 Allroad review that I just read while defecating. 

*Yes, I'm woefully behind on my bathroom reading - bidet eliminates the opportunity to read while doing extensive paperwork, plus the state of the world over the past year and a half was so fucked up there for a while that I temporarily ditched my personal "no phone on the shitter" rule... 

20210517_175147.jpg

• Like 1

In case it's useful - from the September 2020* C&D Audi A6 Allroad review that I just read while defecating. 
*Yes, I'm woefully behind on my bathroom reading - bidet eliminates the opportunity to read while doing extensive paperwork, plus the state of the world over the past year and a half was so fucked up there for a while that I temporarily ditched my personal "no phone on the shitter" rule... 

20210517_175147.thumb.jpg.f8dd45d2fa5ebce64929fb117ecd69cc.jpg
I didn't even know they sold the A6 Allroad here. I'd buy every car on that list though.