The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Had mixed feelings about the red stitch but really like the look with the piano lacquer flowing lines. Air body control, more hp, 4matic, and acoustic package definitely an improvement over the previous CLS iteration. 
51187032836_b096df1018_b.jpg  
The interiors of the new MB models are just stunning. Nice ride.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
7 hours ago, noharleyyet said:
Had mixed feelings about the red stitch but really like the look with the piano lacquer flowing lines. Air body control, more hp, 4matic, and acoustic package definitely an improvement over the previous CLS iteration. 
51187032836_b096df1018_b.jpg  

The interiors of the new MB models are just stunning. Nice ride.

That's pretty clean!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, texas08 said:

Holy fuck, that sound…congratulations immamac.

You’re gonna be smoking so many dumb bastards out there (wait would people even try to race a wagon? Lol).

Gunnar has been saying VROOM VROOM all day pointing at the car and wanting to go for a ride. He woke up early from a nap and was literally just screaming VROOM VROOM all afternoon. 

Went out and got a good video. The car wasn't on anymore so the horn didn't work. 

We went to the "carwash" after and found a nice quiet place to do a race start with launch control after the drivetrain was properly warmed up. He was fucking loving it. Then we went to the car wash and it was one where you put the car in N and let it pull. If you are stopped and put it in N the car automatically applies brakes to keep from rolling away. I was telling the guys and they were both like what then I showed them on the dash and said "idk man it's a fucking racecar" then revved it to like 1.5K rpm and then they were like ok you can go through in drive. Hahahaha, weird that you can switch into neutral if you are moving, just not stopped. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Is that stock exhaust? It sounds great, but figured it would have been quieter.

That's the quiet mode. Loud mode crackles and pops and snarls and the turbos dump boost so hard the pavement clears underneath. It's a fucking insane machine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, immamac said:

That's the quiet mode. Loud mode crackles and pops and snarls and the turbos dump boost so hard the pavement clears underneath. It's a fucking insane machine. 

So you got electric cutouts and huge pop-off valves. That's cool as shit on a Superwagon.

CHIEF

So I want to get a mid-size pickup and I’ve driven all of them. 

No:
Frontier- For the price of a modern mid-size truck you can buy a time machine back to when trucks in this category were half this price. This nag goes to the glue factory after this year. 

Ridgeline- Less ugly than it used to be. Intensely practical, still so ugly. And expensive. Everyone I know who has one loves theirs. The liberal aggies across the street have a maroon one. They are nice  folks who raised great kids.  

Gladiator - goofy, impractical, ridiculously overpriced and drives like shit on top of it.  When I was at UT I used to hang out with this guy named Greg who was kinda dumb, but super cheerful and tons of fun to roll with. This is the Greg of trucks. Respect!

I can’t rule it out but I’m not going to buy it:

Colorado/Canyon- this truck seems fine. I mean, I don’t hate anything about it, but I don’t really like anything about it. Every other truck in the category (even the Frontier!) is better than the Colorado in at least one way. 
Looks good on you, though. 

The Choices:

Tacoma- Obvious Taco is Obvious. This has been the standard forever, and for good reason. You can’t go wrong with a Tacoma and it’s the best looking truck in the category. But here’s the thing-  the Colorado isn’t the the best choice for anything, and the Tacoma is better than the Colorado in most respects. But the gap isn’t as wide as it should be considering the dominance of the Tacoma and the way Tacomas retain value. Some of that is good work by GM. Some of that seems like Toyota resting on their laurels a bit. 
I keep saying I’m probably going to buy a Tacoma and I very well might, but in the back of my mind I keep coming back to this:

The Ford Ranger simply drives better and has a better engine and transmission setup than the Tacoma. Full stop. It’s not even close. Yes- the Ford interior is garbage and the infotainment system is even worse. The ergonomics are shit, the back seat sucks, and even though it’s not a terrible design overall, the front end looks like it’s following the Honda Ridgeline in the potato parade. But the Ranger drives the best and has the best drivetrain, and it’s not close. I’m not carrying special operators across Central Asia or overlanding back county in New Mexico (much), I’m carrying mulch and paddleboards and furniture and maybe doing some camping. 

So I don’t know.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ridgeline- Less ugly than it used to be. Intensely practical, still so ugly. And expensive. Everyone I know who has one loves theirs. The liberal aggies across the street have a maroon one. They are nice  folks who raised great kid

Have some self respect man. Don't even acknowledge this abortions existence.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So I want to get a mid-size pickup and I’ve driven all of them. 

No:
Frontier- For the price of a modern mid-size truck you can buy a time machine back to when trucks in this category were half this price. This nag goes to the glue factory after this year. 

Ridgeline- Less ugly than it used to be. Intensely practical, still so ugly. And expensive. Everyone I know who has one loves theirs. The liberal aggies across the street have a maroon one. They are nice  folks who raised great kids.  

Gladiator - goofy, impractical, ridiculously overpriced and drives like shit on top of it.  When I was at UT I used to hang out with this guy named Greg who was kinda dumb, but super cheerful and tons of fun to roll with. This is the Greg of trucks. Respect!

I can’t rule it out but I’m not going to buy it:

Colorado/Canyon- this truck seems fine. I mean, I don’t hate anything about it, but I don’t really like anything about it. Every other truck in the category (even the Frontier!) is better than the Colorado in at least one way. 
Looks good on you, though. 

The Choices:

Tacoma- Obvious Taco is Obvious. This has been the standard forever, and for good reason. You can’t go wrong with a Tacoma and it’s the best looking truck in the category. But here’s the thing-  the Colorado isn’t the the best choice for anything, and the Tacoma is better than the Colorado in most respects. But the gap isn’t as wide as it should be considering the dominance of the Tacoma and the way Tacomas retain value. Some of that is good work by GM. Some of that seems like Toyota resting on their laurels a bit. 
I keep saying I’m probably going to buy a Tacoma and I very well might, but in the back of my mind I keep coming back to this:

The Ford Ranger simply drives better and has a better engine and transmission setup than the Tacoma. Full stop. It’s not even close. Yes- the Ford interior is garbage and the infotainment system is even worse. The ergonomics are shit, the back seat sucks, and even though it’s not a terrible design overall, the front end looks like it’s following the Honda Ridgeline in the potato parade. But the Ranger drives the best and has the best drivetrain, and it’s not close. I’m not carrying special operators across Central Asia or overlanding back county in New Mexico (much), I’m carrying mulch and paddleboards and furniture and maybe doing some camping. 

So I don’t know.

Guys on the Tacoma forum love the OV Tune. It will likely address the shifting logic/throttle management issues that the stock Tacoma has. It’s pretty cheap and does not affect reliability. Most people only complain that they didn’t do it sooner. 

I have a 2019 Tacoma and it has been perfect for me. I have the MT, so I have not felt the need to tune it. You are right, it is ancient technology at this point, but it works, is reliable and will always sell for more later on. I agree that the Ford interior sucks. I don’t want to look at that all day. 

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Guys on the Tacoma forum love the OV Tune. It will likely address the shifting logic/throttle management issues that the stock Tacoma has. It’s pretty cheap and does not affect reliability. Most people only complain that they didn’t do it sooner. 

I have a 2019 Tacoma and it has been perfect for me. I have the MT, so I have not felt the need to tune it. You are right, it is ancient technology at this point, but it works, is reliable and will always sell for more later on. I agree that the Ford interior sucks. I don’t want to look at that all day. 

Does the OVtune void the warranty?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Have some self respect man. Don't even acknowledge this abortions existence.

Ridgeline is 90% of what people looking for a “truck” need. It’s also a truck only 10% of those people will buy for many reasons including the inability to make it into a bro-dozer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does the OVtune void the warranty?

It probably would. Any dealer will void warranties if possible. but you have the ability to flash back and forth to the original setting if you needed to take it in for service. Or just get the manual transmission. 

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Ridgeline is 90% of what people looking for a “truck” need. It’s also a truck only 10% of those people will buy for many reasons including the inability to make it into a bro-dozer.

90% of people looking for a "truck" should be beaten with a rubber hose.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Is the Hilux actually anything comparable to the Tacoma though? (I genuinely don't know.) I thought they were completely different trucks, not sharing anything.

No.  The Tacoma is a great truck. It isn’t a Hilux. 

And lol Ridgeline   Less truck that most SUVs  

• Hook 'Em 1

I work in oilfields in Central Asia and we exclusively drive hi luxes and land cruiser prados with the stick shift diesels. After spending that much time in the hilux, especially the back seat of one, I had no interest at all in buying a Tacoma. They are uncomfortable. 

I have to move the driver seat uncomfortably close up (I’m 6’1”) so my 8 year old can sit behind me. It’s one of many reasons why I can’t wait to get rid of it.
  • Haha 1

Even the 4 door one?

Yes. It’s a 2020 Tacoma crew cab Off Road. When I bought it in the fall ‘19, she could barely fit behind me when she was 6. I don’t have my seat all the way back either. There’s no way an adult could fit behind the driver unless the driver was 5’ and had the seat almost all the way forward.

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yes. It’s a 2020 Tacoma crew cab Off Road. When I bought it in the fall ‘19, she could barely fit behind me when she was 6. I don’t have my seat all the way back either. There’s no way an adult could fit behind the driver unless the driver was 5’ and had the seat almost all the way forward.

A lot of not quite econobox, mid-size sedans are this way.  Not surprising.

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Lulz. It really is a "practical" urban "truck" but in my own prejudice when I imagine the Ridgeline buyer....

Because of the chicken tax there are all sorts of really practical light trucks we don't get that I would dig more than the Ridgeline.

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I have to move the driver seat uncomfortably close up (I’m 6’1”) so my 8 year old can sit behind me. It’s one of many reasons why I can’t wait to get rid of it.

What are some of the others, and as a current Tacoma owner, what do you think of the Taco/Ranger question?

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because of the chicken tax there are all sorts of really practical light trucks we don't get that I would dig more than the Ridgeline.

Agree. I actually like the Hilux and have driven them over pretty rough terrain in Central America. It’s a very economical practical tough as nails truck. Not quite the Ridgeline vibe but not a “full size” man’s truck either.

What are some of the others, and as a current Tacoma owner, what do you think of the Taco/Ranger question?

The engine is a dog. Very underpowered.

No climate control, just old school AC. Basically, you have the AC on full blast or you’re hot.

No AC vents in the back. Kids in the back are always hot. Even with the AC on full blast.

It’s just about 10 years outdated in creature comforts and interior design. You don’t think the little things would bother you but they do if you give them up. I went from a Mercedes to the Tacoma because I missed having a truck and had had two previous Tacomas. I’ve disliked it from day one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The engine is a dog. Very underpowered.

No climate control, just old school AC. Basically, you have the AC on full blast or you’re hot.

No AC vents in the back. Kids in the back are always hot. Even with the AC on full blast.

It’s just about 10 years outdated in creature comforts and interior design. You don’t think the little things would bother you but they do if you give them up. I went from a Mercedes to the Tacoma because I missed having a truck and had had two previous Tacomas. I’ve disliked it from day one.

I can live with all the rest, but the underpowered engine is a major issue relative to the Ranger, and I say that as someone who hates overpowered trucks. The Tacoma I drove just felt anemic, which is also at least partially related to the AT based on the numbers. On the other hand, if a Tacoma is solid enough to handle jt’s bullshit, I wonder if the OV tune can address the power/drivetrain issue. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova