The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 5/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

So I want to get a mid-size pickup and I’ve driven all of them. 

No:
Frontier- For the price of a modern mid-size truck you can buy a time machine back to when trucks in this category were half this price. This nag goes to the glue factory after this year. 

Ridgeline- Less ugly than it used to be. Intensely practical, still so ugly. And expensive. Everyone I know who has one loves theirs. The liberal aggies across the street have a maroon one. They are nice  folks who raised great kids.  

Gladiator - goofy, impractical, ridiculously overpriced and drives like shit on top of it.  When I was at UT I used to hang out with this guy named Greg who was kinda dumb, but super cheerful and tons of fun to roll with. This is the Greg of trucks. Respect!

I can’t rule it out but I’m not going to buy it:

Colorado/Canyon- this truck seems fine. I mean, I don’t hate anything about it, but I don’t really like anything about it. Every other truck in the category (even the Frontier!) is better than the Colorado in at least one way. 
Looks good on you, though. 

The Choices:

Tacoma- Obvious Taco is Obvious. This has been the standard forever, and for good reason. You can’t go wrong with a Tacoma and it’s the best looking truck in the category. But here’s the thing-  the Colorado isn’t the the best choice for anything, and the Tacoma is better than the Colorado in most respects. But the gap isn’t as wide as it should be considering the dominance of the Tacoma and the way Tacomas retain value. Some of that is good work by GM. Some of that seems like Toyota resting on their laurels a bit. 
I keep saying I’m probably going to buy a Tacoma and I very well might, but in the back of my mind I keep coming back to this:

The Ford Ranger simply drives better and has a better engine and transmission setup than the Tacoma. Full stop. It’s not even close. Yes- the Ford interior is garbage and the infotainment system is even worse. The ergonomics are shit, the back seat sucks, and even though it’s not a terrible design overall, the front end looks like it’s following the Honda Ridgeline in the potato parade. But the Ranger drives the best and has the best drivetrain, and it’s not close. I’m not carrying special operators across Central Asia or overlanding back county in New Mexico (much), I’m carrying mulch and paddleboards and furniture and maybe doing some camping. 

So I don’t know.

Doing the same dance right now. Tahoe transmission is dying and blue book is just a little more than the transmission repair would cost approx.  Looking at Tacomas, and Rangers. They seem to be the best in their category.  Both have pros, and cons. The reliability of a Toyota with the Rangers stronger drive train.  Trying to use an auction service to buy one next week.

I'm buying used as I have a car on reserve now, but it won't be here for a year or more.  So I just need something to bridge the gap, but not having a pick up truck sitting in the driveway should ding your man card.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

Related to my post above:  I've reserved a 2 door Bronco. The son has a bud from engineering school who works in the Bronco division, so I've been getting  some behind the scenes intel. So far it looks promising. He says they've really been sweating the details on this project to hit a home run.  Not digging the 4 door as it's nothing very interesting to look at, but the 2 door is in my wheelhouse.  First year models are also usually best avoided, but I'm figuring by the time my number comes up they'll be into the 2022 models.

Obviously for all kinds of reasons it won't be here for at least a year now.   It's intended to be my daily driver, and I've been building my buy sheet on a few different platforms, but I keep coming back to a 7 speed manual over the 10 speed automatic.  I like a stick shift, don't have to worry about daily commutes in traffic so stop and go traffic isn't an issue.

Ignoring my preference for manual over automatic, why would I choose an automatic over the manual transmission ?  What would compelling reasons be ?  You can't get cruise control with the manual, which seems like the only major feature I might miss.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Onboard 2.0 They seem to have gotten the Bronco very right. As for the transmission, it’s just a matter of preference. That 10 speed drives extremely well. 
But I suspect pairing adaptive or “smart” cruise control with a manual would be an engineering and cost challenge and wouldn’t be a good experience (see below). Besides, if you prefer the control of a stick, would you actually use cruise control?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/does-adaptive-cruise-control-work-with-a-manual-transmission/

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Onboard 2.0 They seem to have gotten the Bronco very right. As for the transmission, it’s just a matter of preference. That 10 speed drives extremely well. 
But I suspect pairing adaptive or “smart” cruise control with a manual would be an engineering and cost challenge and wouldn’t be a good experience (see below). Besides, if you prefer the control of a stick, would you actually use cruise control?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/does-adaptive-cruise-control-work-with-a-manual-transmission/

Yeah cajun  posted an article about the 10 speed automatic transmission on the classic car thread,  seems like a strong  transmission.

I just dig shifting gears. Cruise control is for the highway so you're not doing a lot of shifting in anyway, but I've had plenty of  vehicles without cruise control. I've never really cared if I had it or not not.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I don’t understand the cruise control thing. I’ve had cruise control with manual transmissions before. Why is that a thing now?

It’s not the cruise control per se, but the “adaptive” part that makes a manual problematic. You can have the constant speed but lose the constant distance of the car in front and the stop-go element. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s not the cruise control per se, but the “adaptive” part that makes a manual problematic. You can have the constant speed but lose the constant distance of the car in front and the stop-go element. 

Not a fan of the adaptive speed thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not a fan of the adaptive speed thing.

Neither am I. My wife's SUV had it back in 2014, and we were driving home from a wedding out in the boonies late one night. Speed limit was 65, and after a while, I notice we were going 45 because of the damn car in front of us. Neither of us noticed for about 10 minutes. 

Also, I got some bad damn news today from the repair shop. The sunroof (which I didn't really want to begin with) broke on my 2017 F-150. Its going to be damn near $4K to replace the tracks for it, and a side view mirror that broke with a fuck head dodge with 2' trailer mirrors hit my mirror on a two lane road. With the rain, it is something I just have to fix, which really sucks. This is the second F-150 that I've had issues with the sunroof tracks on, never again if I can help it. 

11 hours ago, JSB said:

lso, I got some bad damn news today from the repair shop. The sunroof (which I didn't really want to begin with) broke on my 2017 F-150. Its going to be damn near $4K to replace the tracks for it, and a side view mirror that broke with a fuck head dodge with 2' trailer mirrors hit my mirror on a two lane road. With the rain, it is something I just have to fix, which really sucks. This is the second F-150 that I've had issues with the sunroof tracks on, never again if I can help it. 

This exact thing happened to my buddies 2018 F150

Neither am I. My wife's SUV had it back in 2014, and we were driving home from a wedding out in the boonies late one night. Speed limit was 65, and after a while, I notice we were going 45 because of the damn car in front of us. Neither of us noticed for about 10 minutes. 
Also, I got some bad damn news today from the repair shop. The sunroof (which I didn't really want to begin with) broke on my 2017 F-150. Its going to be damn near $4K to replace the tracks for it, and a side view mirror that broke with a fuck head dodge with 2' trailer mirrors hit my mirror on a two lane road. With the rain, it is something I just have to fix, which really sucks. This is the second F-150 that I've had issues with the sunroof tracks on, never again if I can help it. 
I hate sunroofs so much. I don't understand the appeal at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, troph said:

What do we know about Lucid? They look like what Tesla shoulda done in a refresh tbqh.  I know nothing, they just popped up on a sponsored ad on my Instagram. 

I have seen them being driven around the bay area by their test team. I have seen only from the the outside. It looks quite plain with maybe a slightly better front than Model S, but overall Model S looks better, imo. It also looks a bit smaller than Model S. Their interior, based on the pictures, is more conventional luxury than the spartan European design that Tesla does, which most people prefer I think.

As an aside, the test engineers driving the vehicles stick to the speed limit, most likely being their company policy. They stick out like sore thumbs since everyone else is going at 75-80mph.

Also, they are a new company and will face growing pains. The price  matches Model S. This will make it hard from them to scale quickly.

Edited by AeroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Okie State said:
I like the panoramic roof on my wife's XC90, but would be okay if it didn't even open. I wish my car had a solid roof.

I hate the panoramic ones, too. Just let me have a fucking roof that blocks the sun, thanks.

Amen brother. I don't get it. That is what a convertible is for

• Like 1

Cheap plastic moving parts. With sun beating on them and all the vehicle movement, the rails are bound to break. Bad design.

Panoramic sunroofs for the win, if they work (they also have a moving shade that blocks the sun…I’m sure y’all knew that).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Cheap plastic moving parts. With sun beating on them and all the vehicle movement, the rails are bound to break. Bad design.

Panoramic sunroofs for the win, if they work (they also have a moving shade that blocks the sun…I’m sure y’all knew that).

I have had three sunroofs, not by choice, one Acura and two GM, over the span of 15 years and never had any problems. Knock on wood.  They do make me nervous though.  And really only seem to be useful in Texas for a pretty small part of the year.  I mostly open them to let heat out and close em right back up.

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have had three sunroofs, not by choice, one Acura and two GM, over the span of 15 years and never had any problems. Knock on wood.  They do make me nervous though.  And really only seem to be useful in Texas for a pretty small part of the year.  I mostly open them to let heat out and close em right back up.

Same.  We’ve had them on our Yukon’s for last 10 years or so without issue. Hope it stays that way.  Used them all the time before kids.  Now not so much. Before the law dawgs made me fix the windshield, it was so damn dark inside you had to drive with the sunroof headliner cover open.  Was the perfect mix of natural light.  Sigh. 

Passed through a few Hill Country small towns this past weekend and the major manufacturer dealer lots were scary empty. Like 5-10 cars on the lot. Not sure how they will survive unless they are turning out multiple cars per day that don't really stay on the lot.

As for the used market, I sold off a 20 month old car with 12K miles for about 92% of my purchase price minus some TTL and that wasn't a ton since I had a decent value on a trade at purchase.  I possibly could have waited another 6 months at least and still had low depreciation according to the car Nostradamuses online. I have a older Lexus purchased 8 months ago as a more off road vehicle. I could probably profit about 4K on the private market now but then I would have no vehicle.

5 hours ago, texas08 said:

negatory for me. This was a panoramic that I open maybe every three months. Cheap plastic moving parts

6 hours ago, JSB said:

negatory for me. This was a panoramic that I open maybe every three months. Cheap plastic moving parts

I’ve found with F150 sunroofs it’s better to never use them. The one truck I used it on, it had to be replaced. I’ve never opened it on the last two and have not had an issue.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:47 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Related to my post above:  I've reserved a 2 door Bronco. The son has a bud from engineering school who works in the Bronco division, so I've been getting  some behind the scenes intel. So far it looks promising. He says they've really been sweating the details on this project to hit a home run.  Not digging the 4 door as it's nothing very interesting to look at, but the 2 door is in my wheelhouse.  First year models are also usually best avoided, but I'm figuring by the time my number comes up they'll be into the 2022 models.

Obviously for all kinds of reasons it won't be here for at least a year now.   It's intended to be my daily driver, and I've been building my buy sheet on a few different platforms, but I keep coming back to a 7 speed manual over the 10 speed automatic.  I like a stick shift, don't have to worry about daily commutes in traffic so stop and go traffic isn't an issue.

Ignoring my preference for manual over automatic, why would I choose an automatic over the manual transmission ?  What would compelling reasons be ?  You can't get cruise control with the manual, which seems like the only major feature I might miss.

Pertaining specifically to the Bronco - the larger 2.7L V6 is only available with the 10-speed auto. So you'll have to go with the 2.3L turbo 4 if you want the stick.

The 2.3L is great in the Ranger (with the 10-speed auto). I believe they are squeezing a few more horsepower out of it in the Bronco.

40 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

So I know all of y’all are far more knowledgeable and rich than I am but I finally got my new baby.

Big Booty B

c6c31451b14e808f81abf048a96d5a4a.jpg
34d63056f3a0e5e6e36c2c90298ab35d.jpg
075462b9f7d517e0e10b33f005534841.jpg

f363c86043c8be06b12a8fcf7b2626c2.jpg

She’s much more snappy than my T/A+ I sold back. Still a boat but she’s a fun boat.

Very nice

It can take 12+ months to take delivery of a new mountain bike right now. Supply chain is fucked. 2 years for a 911 is not surprising.

I’m pretty set on ordering a Miami blue Targa 4S or Targa GTS, but I planned on waiting a couple more years to do so. It would be my first. But if it really takes two years to get, I’m thinking maybe I should just get the order in now. Plus, that new Porsche dealership calls my name every time I drive past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/6/2021 at 2:58 PM, 936horn said:

Well not quite the baller above with the GT3 (although the more time I spend on the configurator the closer I get to the gt3 MSRP) but I snagged a MY2022 allocation for a C2S. Now I get to fuck around with configs for a while. Likely a Nov delivery is what I’m being told. I’ve waited my whole life to own a 911 and my one regret is not being able to do Euro delivery right now but oh well. Here’s my current spec that will no doubt change 20 times before the build locks. I’m between gentian and shark blue. Shark looks awesome but I’m not sure if it’s too poser on a non-gt car

image.jpeg.910e2afadd12dda43d8a8b77f487de6c.jpeg

Welp. Dealer called me up a couple weeks before my build locked and offered me a GTS allocation with no ADM if I traded him back my C2S allocation. I bit. Glad I did. GTS was revealed yesterday and configurator is up today. Looking at early 2022 delivery but hell with it I’ve waited this long, what’s 6 more months? I’m a sucker for the center locks plus it has the options I had on the c2s anyway plus 30 more horses. I am considering adding the aero kit but not sure if that’s too wannabe gt3

image.jpeg.29efc5da6b8a321e10887fa14ca31d3e.jpeg

image.jpeg.a15cf6adb769b175be271d3937700470.jpeg

image.jpeg.348454823a22b99d2baa741e86ba77eb.jpeg

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN526C52

Edited by 936horn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 936horn said:

Congrats!  Looks great. Just some unsolicited 2 cents, if you intend to track it at all, the buckets are worth it.  They are extremely expensive to add later if you ant airbags to work with no codes.  The font axle lift is really nice to have too.  Mine won't go over a speed bump unless I do the slow and take it at an angle trick. The CL's look cool but they are a huge pain in the ass. If I had the choice, I would get the bolts instead.  I checked it out with the aero and think it looks good but I can understand the concern.  But, it's your car so all about what you like.    

I completely changed mine and went back to black with a PDK (I've had both and the manual is more fun but I am just addicted to the PDK).  Should be here in November.  

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNUPQ2G0

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Congrats!  Looks great. Just some unsolicited 2 cents, if you intend to track it at all, the buckets are worth it.  They are extremely expensive to add later if you ant airbags to work with no codes.  The font axle lift is really nice to have too.  Mine won't go over a speed bump unless I do the slow and take it at an angle trick. The CL's look cool but they are a huge pain in the ass. If I had the choice, I would get the bolts instead.  I checked it out with the aero and think it looks good but I can understand the concern.  But, it's your car so all about what you like.    

I completely changed mine and went back to black with a PDK (I've had both and the manual is more fun but I am just addicted to the PDK).  Should be here in November.  

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNUPQ2G0

Looks awesome man. Can’t wait to see pics when you take delivery. Appreciate the feedback - I was thinking of going all black too, we’ll see how many times I change my mind before lock haha…

rennlist is pretty split on FAL but I think it probably makes sense since I’ll have SPASM on the car. 

the buckets also are enticing but one of my selling points to the wife right now is I can technically chuck a child seat in the back and cart around one of the kids…rear seat delete with the buckets takes that out, but let’s be real how often are the kids gonna be riding?