The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

That looks like textbook overinflation, alignment would have a difficult time doing that without additional signs on one side of the tread or another.
There looked to be some cupping on the inside edge. Regardless I'll have the alignment checked once I get the new tires mounted.

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

Apparently I need to look at the tread on my tires more often. Took my wheels off yesterday to bleed my brakes and found this on the rears. Edges still looked okay which is why I didn't really notice. Fronts are also fine. I guess I've been over inflating, alignment is off, or both. They did have almost 35K on them so they were about due anyway, but wasn't expecting that this weekend.

looks like they did their job.  now time for some donuts/burnouts and send them off

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, TwiceHorn said:

No it's true.

The range of gearings is essentially zero to 1 or 1.x for an overdrive.  If you have 8 or 10 gears, you can make the lowest couple of gears lower than the lower of the 6 gears that are the practical upper limit of gears in a manual.  You could do it with a manual, too, but it would kill the mileage or you'd have some bizarre gaps between say 3 and 4.

Even in semi-peformance cars without DCT, the 8 or 10 spd auto will usually be quicker to 60 than a 6MT.

It used to be that autos had 3 gears to get to a 1-1 ratio. Back then manuals were quicker because they kept the revs in the sweet spot longer, while a gear change in the auto would drop you well out of desirable RPM ranges. However, once the autos started with 6 gears or more, they virtually left manuals in the dust. The days of a manual being anything other than for fun are over.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

This is a bad development. 

On 7/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, Okie State said:

I figured they were already doing that.

They have been doing that for awhile now. Also, it's not all tunes, just ones that don't meet the requirements. Not much to see considering it's California.

Second note, can you imagine the infrastructure nightmare that would be all electric cars out there? The grid would need a major overhaul.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Thatguy said:

They have been doing that for awhile now. Also, it's not all tunes, just ones that don't meet the requirements. Not much to see considering it's California.

Second note, can you imagine the infrastructure nightmare that would be all electric cars out there? The grid would need a major overhaul.

I don’t think anyone has any idea about what would be involved to go all electric. 

I am still thinking that in the end it will be hydrogen that wins. Batteries, in their present form, are not going to get cheaper. The materials needed won’t allow that. 

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

All electric was never a realistic solution. At least in the foreseeable future.

I also think we are close to being past the point of hydrogen needing the fuel cell. I think they can just use the same type of engine blocks but do a different type of ignition.  So the price will be way down 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Thatguy said:

On 7/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, Okie State said:

All electric was never a realistic solution. At least in the foreseeable future.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:03 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Don’t forget, ICE could stick around longer with synthetic fuels. I don’t think it’s the final answer, though.

I saw this video. It deals with hydrogen for big machinery. I don't see why it can't work for smaller vehicles. Team Hydrogen.

I drove Honda Clarity Fuel Cell for 3 years and returned the it when the lease was up in April. I was sorely tempted to buy the new Mirai Fuel Cell, basically a shortened Lexus LS platform. About 22k including taxes after Toyota (20k) and federal (7.5k)/state (4.5k) rebates. In addition, a 15k card to buy Hydrogen, which pays for about 65k miles of driving. The only reason I didn't buy it was because of Hydrogen supply. Half the time, there is no Hydrogen and when it is available, you have to be vigilant because it runs out within a few hours. I developed a PTSD with always worried about not having the fuel. When the fuel is available, the cars are great.

If they can fix the Hydrogen production, I would go back to Hydrogen cars.

9 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

I drove Honda Clarity Fuel Cell for 3 years and returned the it when the lease was up in April. I was sorely tempted to buy the new Mirai Fuel Cell, basically a shortened Lexus LS platform. About 22k including taxes after Toyota (20k) and federal (7.5k)/state (4.5k) rebates. In addition, a 15k card to buy Hydrogen, which pays for about 65k miles of driving. The only reason I didn't buy it was because of Hydrogen supply. Half the time, there is no Hydrogen and when it is available, you have to be vigilant because it runs out within a few hours. I developed a PTSD with always worried about not having the fuel. When the fuel is available, the cars are great.

If they can fix the Hydrogen production, I would go back to Hydrogen cars.

At the 10:30 mark in the video they start talking about producing hydrogen from water, ordinary H2O.

I think they should/would/could use the same infrastructure for gasoline stations, with modifications of course. It's all there. 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Smax said:

Mercedes-Benz Will Suspend Sales Of Nearly All 2022 AMG V8 Models In The US: Document

A leaked dealer news channel update lists 17 suspended models

citing supply chain issues

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42018/mercedes-benz-cancels-almost-every-v8-model-for-2022

Good thing I got mine already. This is insane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, immamac said:

Good thing I got mine already. This is insane. 

As mundane as the updates may be, can you please keep us posted if you run into any significant issues with replacement part availability? I'm sort of spitballing at an '18 or '19 in a year or two, but if they're going to become the equivalent of an orphaned marque or something, then that may change my calculus. 

Or maybe I'll reset my sights on an S212, though I think the 213 generation is much more visually appealing. 

36 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

As mundane as the updates may be, can you please keep us posted if you run into any significant issues with replacement part availability? I'm sort of spitballing at an '18 or '19 in a year or two, but if they're going to become the equivalent of an orphaned marque or something, then that may change my calculus. 

Or maybe I'll reset my sights on an S212, though I think the 213 generation is much more visually appealing. 

I think this was to fulfill replacement part availability. They won't sell cars they can't fix and they probably don't have enough parts to sell AND fix. 

These are all 100k+ cars. the W213 is a completely different animal than the W212 

• Hook 'Em 1

What is the best way to shop realistic leases? We need a 2nd car pronto for various reasons, but I'd prefer not to buy in this market.

Lease deals I see advertised are for base models and low mileage. Is there a way to "build" a realistic lease on a website, or pretty much have to go to a dealer in person to work it out?

I've never leased, so I also welcome any warnings that the lease market is just as bad or worse than buying, etc.

13 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

What is the best way to shop realistic leases? We need a 2nd car pronto for various reasons, but I'd prefer not to buy in this market.

Lease deals I see advertised are for base models and low mileage. Is there a way to "build" a realistic lease on a website, or pretty much have to go to a dealer in person to work it out?

I've never leased, so I also welcome any warnings that the lease market is just as bad or worse than buying, etc.

Check out  https://leasehackr.com forums - but you maybe overwhelmed with info. And caveat that site has a lot of people who do dick measuring by trying to get the best deal. 

You can always use a broker. The site above has many listed.  They’ll get you a pretty damn good deal without you having to do any work/negotiations yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Final, final, final build is in and change date is locked on 8/26 with an expected delivery date of 11/12.  I have changed this thing a dozen times.  Finally went with black because I just like black cars.  Carbon roof, carbon mirrors, carbon on the interior, bucket seats, still couldn't talk myself out of PDK because it's bad ass and it's not worth risking a money shift on a manual, red deviated stitching/seatbelts, white on the "wart" and tach and PCCB's just because I put everything else on it so might as well (I will pull off the rotors as soon as I get it and replace with floating irons).  They sent me a build link that I will probably check every day between now and 11/12, lol. Gonna be a long few months.  

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.50.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.50.12 PM.png

Congrats 🎉. That looks friggin sweet. 

5 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Final, final, final build is in and change date is locked on 8/26 with an expected delivery date of 11/12.  I have changed this thing a dozen times.  Finally went with black because I just like black cars.  Carbon roof, carbon mirrors, carbon on the interior, bucket seats, still couldn't talk myself out of PDK because it's bad ass and it's not worth risking a money shift on a manual, red deviated stitching/seatbelts, white on the "wart" and tach and PCCB's just because I put everything else on it so might as well (I will pull off the rotors as soon as I get it and replace with floating irons).  They sent me a build link that I will probably check every day between now and 11/12, lol. Gonna be a long few months.  

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.49.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.50.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.50.12 PM.png

Damn that thing is bad ass. 

How hard is it to find a GT3 allocation right now?  I heard you basically need to be personal friends with the dealer or be a long-term returning customer.

11 minutes ago, Assman said:

How hard is it to find a GT3 allocation right now?  I heard you basically need to be personal friends with the dealer or be a long-term returning customer.

I think that varies by market.  For Austin, they are going anywhere from MSRP for the really, really, really good customers and up to 50k over I have heard for the good customers.  But, I don't think you can walk in there and get an allocation at 50k over anytime soon unless you know them.  I have read on other forums people getting them in different markets at MSRP without much of a relationship. I don't know if that's true or not and which batch they were allocated for.  My understanding is the first batch landed or is about to and round 2 is the November batch.  

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I think that varies by market.  For Austin, they are going anywhere from MSRP for the really, really, really good customers and up to 50k over I have heard for the good customers.  But, I don't think you can walk in there and get an allocation at 50k over anytime soon unless you know them.  I have read on other forums people getting them in different markets at MSRP without much of a relationship. I don't know if that's true or not and which batch they were allocated for.  My understanding is the first batch landed or is about to and round 2 is the November batch.  

Beware the yellow brake caliper! I love mine, but every bit of dirt from the road shows up instantly.

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

Contrast

776adfb7ecaee3ec8cf07c76a3e058c5.jpg

im typically not a green flag waving activist, but that picture really puts into the mind what an extravant difference in energy needed to manufacture, accelerate, brake, and change direction on that monster on the left.

On Friday, Ford sent an email to Bronco reservation holders that the hardtops would delay your vehicle until end of '22 or into '23. However, if you switched to a soft top, you could get your vehicle sooner.

Yesterday, I switched to a soft top with the free hard top wiring kit.  The sales guy recommended dropping the tow hitch and adding it after market because his data from Ford showed that was the only other item they were having supply chain issues with.  I dropped it also.

Today I finally got a VIN # and production date for the first week of September!

SO FUCKING EXCITED.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1