The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

You left out this which was quite possibly the shittiest mass produced car of all time

839c534a690c91900f1cdb61ca89569c.jpg

My parents were always sedan Deville types too, but tried one of these when they first came out. Think they took it back after about 6 months.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

You left out this which was quite possibly the shittiest mass produced car of all time

My parents were always sedan Deville types too, but tried one of these when they first came out. Think they took it back after about 6 months.
My dad's 1980 diesel would agree to disagree. He owned it for a couple of months. My memories of that car is watching it be towed away, repeatedly. Biggest POS ever.
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I remember when one of my dad’s friends from the hospital bought one of those.  It was a horrible car

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Gad, what were those called (I know that's a Cimarron, but the Chevy Citation and there was a Buick, too, I think).  Not K cars, but something like that.

Edit:  The Citation, Olds Omega, Buick Skylark (ugh), and Pontiac Phoenix (???) were all "X cars."  The Cimarron was on the successor J platform.

According to Wikipedia:  

The Cimarron is noted as a nadir of GM's product planning — for its low sales, poor performance and ill-conceived badge engineering.

I was really thinking of the Cimarron when I said Catera upthread.  The Catera was a re-badged Opel Omega and probably didn't deserve to be lumped in with these.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just called my wife in to the office to look at those pictures and told her I might buy this thing. 

Her: "well you are clearly on the right site".

I think that was a reference to the "A Place for Broken Brained Assholes" tag like at the top of the page.  

7 hours ago, blacklab said:

We had a buick skylark when I was a kid. My mom always wanted a Cadillac and I remember her seeing the Cimarron and saying they finally made one for me. Sounds like it was lucky she didn't get one.

The really offensive thing about the X-body cars was that Buick called theirs a Skylark.  The Skylark had a pretty illustrious history before that.  At least Chevy, Olds, and Pontiac had the decency to make up new names for their shitwagons.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The really offensive thing about the X-body cars was that Buick called theirs a Skylark.  The Skylark had a pretty illustrious history before that.  At least Chevy, Olds, and Pontiac had the decency to make up new names for their shitwagons.

A very illustrious history.  The Karate Kid was accused of murdering a convenience store employee while driving one.  Thankfully, in a trial presided over by Herman Munster, his cousin Vinny was able to prove his innocence because his hot girlfriend was the only one involved in the case that realized that posiitraction and an independent rear suspension were not available on the Buick Skylark.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 5/15/2022 at 8:39 PM, tbone_ said:

Lol my mom had a Cimmaron. The V6 was actually pretty spunky by 1987 standards.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

18 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I will say that while Facebook sucks, the obscure cars for sale groups are pretty fun.

This was on there the other day.

7674e04f64463da899331c22bb5d82d4.png
4cbf025a173544a36fa60dc8e139e439.jpg
e271aac187ce0aa818505b9d258e99dd.jpg
0679e919a2f20f572e073d56bb1d97a0.jpg
71bac9c125b4478dcccf168d2bde7f19.jpg
a0483acd35f03d5e3f55e9ea4b03ee35.jpg

Man I am having flashbacks of my childhood.  My mom had an el camino wagon in this same color scheme, wood panels and all.  All that green vinyl takes me back.  My brother and I used to ride in the back and slide all over the place.  The 70's were such a magical ignorant is bliss time.

Owner of a 2013 F-150.   Ordered this in September and picked it up last night.  Had my uber driver take me straight from the airport bags and all.   7 miles on the odo.   

2022 Mach 1 with handling package in Cyber Orange.  Tremec 6 spd.

Holy shit its fun to drive.  Esp with the rev match

PXL_20220517_002505059.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Owner of a 2013 F-150.   Ordered this in September and picked it up last night.  Had my uber driver take me straight from the airport bags and all.   7 miles on the odo.   
2022 Mach 1 with handling package in Cyber Orange.  Tremec 6 spd.
Holy shit its fun to drive.  Esp with the rev match

PXL_20220517_002505059.thumb.jpg.6160c7bf82856e2a5be9d69affa32d04.jpg
The Mach 1 is my favorite version of the current Mustang. Looks badass.

Dealer tried to David Putty me.   They added about $1600 worth of extras.  Tint, fabric protect, paint protect, and window etching.  I agreed to the tint at $500 but said nope on the others.  Told me it was standard add ons for all cars in their ship.  I reminded them I bought this from Ford by way of an order and not from them and no where did I agree to any of this.  They took them all off.

The window etching one really gets me. They pulled that shit on the last car I bought and I was surprisingly able to get a refund for it. They also lied about installing tint and wheel locks (used car with tint receipt in glovebox and no wheel locks even on the car) so they removed that too. Fucking thieves.

Wheel locks $100 worth it. 

Counterpoint: the guy at my mechanic shop took the wheel locks off my Firebird when I realized I didn’t get the wheel lock key with the purchase like they were regular lug nuts. Slowed him down zero.

They might at least cause someone to pass up your car for a different one though.

14 hours ago, G650 said:

Generally the point of wheel locks isn't to make it impossible to get off, but just make the time cost/ benefit calculation not worth their time.

It took the guy a while to get it off when I got a flat in my first car (used) and we couldn’t find the key.  I had a lot of not very nice things to say about the previous owner that night.  A year or so later, when I was cleaning my possessions out of the car after totaling it, low and behold, perfectly hidden under the passenger seat, there it was.

New 2022 Lexus LX 600. Holy shit, is this the worst front end grill design in the history of cars?

70b0609b3ea87de5d83f11a5dc54e9ad.jpg

2de7c6561bfae4df50d19d9f4fc7d567.jpg

I’d love to see the research telling all these car companies that their cars need massive gaping yaws in the front. Every actual human I’ve talked to hates them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

New 2022 Lexus LX 600. Holy shit, is this the worst front end grill design in the history of cars?

I’d love to see the research telling all these car companies that their cars need massive gaping yaws in the front. Every actual human I’ve talked to hates them.

383ce8d8754ebf579c9bd1ea8c13ec9d319df3b1

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

0489945E-1F03-4F40-9F2E-995B509CF602.thumb.jpeg.8c0c0fc0b286e6f4f2c4f1aebeb7e467.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

First they got rid of the Landcruiser in the US and then they did that.  Not a fan.

What do we know about Range Rovers?  I haven’t had one in 15 years and the last one was a major piece of shit that spent half of its time in the shop and told myself I would never buy another one.  I now find myself interested in a 22 HSE P525 Westminster with 2,900 miles as a daily driver.  I have heard since the new company took over they are much more reliable. Dealer dropped it of today for me to drive and think about it and I am really impressed.  Is this new car fever or did they manage to turn this brand around.  

2 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

What do we know about Range Rovers?  I haven’t had one in 15 years and the last one was a major piece of shit that spent half of its time in the shop and told myself I would never buy another one.  I now find myself interested in a 22 HSE P525 Westminster with 2,900 miles as a daily driver.  I have heard since the new company took over they are much more reliable. Dealer dropped it of today for me to drive and think about it and I am really impressed.  Is this new car fever or did they manage to turn this brand around.  

Guy I work with has a 2019 sport and it’s been a piece of shit

Never again.  While I would trust the Brits to go to hell and back with us in the event of another World War, I will not trust them to build me a vehicle.  Particularly the electronic components in said vehicle.  And the transmission (twice).  Everything else was lovely.