The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

I didn't say they had anything to do with run flat, I'm saying when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. It's binary operation.

The N label Porsche tires are run flat is what I'm telling you. They way the tires are constructed means you can drive them essentially for a day with no air in them and the carcass won't come apart. And yes, they do offer protection from land mine type impact as I can attest to. You are getting hung up on the run flat label and/or suckered by the tires companies marketing and not listening to what I'm saying.

tl;dr There's a big regulatory hole in tires, and you should not buy ones that don't maintain integrity with instant air loss at high speed. A lot of the ones you consider safe are not.

https://files2.porsche.com/filestore/download/usa/none/porscheservice-tire-currentsummertires/default/19cea30a-33d9-11e6-9225-0019999cd470/Summer-tire-overview-current-models.pdf

not all or even not most of those tires are run flat.  i doubtful theyre on the range of most ferraris, lambos, either.

the whole ford explorer thing blew up after about 10 or 20 incidences or so?  and toyota stuck pedal... like 5-10.  

and im sure more far more sudden punctures and random blowouts occur - caused by foreign objects, not by manufacturer defect - occur than those numbers, on a daily basis.  

if it happens that frequently AND causes problems that severe AND is so easily preventable --simply by mounting RFT -- then it wouldve been law.

there is now way that in america or any other leading country, that something like that could happen and the regulatory bodies would let it fly.  

RFT are not exotic.  they are not expensive.  they are not inaccessible such that car manufacturers would fight tooth and nail against the regulation.  

if the benefits were so immediate and dramatic, every car would be shod with them.

So yeah....finally took delivery of this bastard with a missed opportunity over Easter when I had to drive like 500mi

KsK5JFcl.jpg

* so psyched driving it around almost didnt even miss the manual transmission (sacrilege!!!)

* so psyched i forgot to buy the toll sticker first and went on a piece of highway.  hopefully didnt get tagged and fined...

* actually quite happy with the steering wheel and the iDrive, both of which i thought i'd loathe...

* ultra-paranoid about scuffing up and/or pothole-damaging the wheels.  35 section tires so i know its going to happen ....

* seats are kinda blah.  needs more bolsters, coming from my recaro hardshell buckets

* on first fuel-up walked back to the car after paying to find little chinese tyke in sunglasses posed in front of the car for their parents.  they were in a 3 series wagon (go figure).  egoboost++

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

* so psyched i forgot to buy the toll sticker first and went on a piece of highway.  hopefully didnt get tagged and fined...

I do this going from Germany into Austria more often than I care to admit.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:03 AM, G650 said:

The N label Porsche tires are run flat is what I'm telling you. They way the tires are constructed means you can drive them essentially for a day with no air in them and the carcass won't come apart. And yes, they do offer protection from land mine type impact as I can attest to. 

Porsche N label is not remotely similar to a run flat.

Edited by otisdog

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I do this going from Germany into Austria more often than I care to admit.

Harder to forget about this heading into Switzerland, where they practically pull you out of the car when you reach the border. Austrians are waaaay more laid back.

11 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Harder to forget about this heading into Switzerland, where they practically pull you out of the car when you reach the border. Austrians are waaaay more laid back.

prob with that is everything is remote by camera.  so whether you've sped or run a red or etc, you wont know until months later when they do the processing.  at any point in time, youve got no idea how many points or infractions youve incurred

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

prob with that is everything is remote by camera.  so whether you've sped or run a red or etc, you wont know until months later when they do the processing.  at any point in time, youve got no idea how many points or infractions youve incurred

Yeah, I've managed to fly under the radar because it's usually in a different rental car each time.

Austria is definitely more relaxed. One time I crossed heading from Munchen to Innsbruck, and literally, the cows on the German side were in single file at attention, and immediately across the border, the Austrian cows were laying in the grass scratching their asses. True story.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:54 PM, 52-80 said:

All of the approved * tires here are run-flats.  Me no want runflats.  Or theyre the outdated Michelin PSS.  

Here to defend the Pilot SS. It's not like they became shitty tires overnight with the introduction of the 4S, and they're actually a really good bargain now that some places are closing out their stock.

Signed,

Guy who has Pilot SSs on his car (and who is post-purchase justifying :D)

(Side note: Thanks to G650 for the note re carcass integrity and Twaron. I've never seen that attributed to Twaron, but it makes sense given that it's mostly marketed for keeping a larger contact patch under stress) 

Edited by choripan

Just now, Snacks said:

Yeah, kinda... but i'm a cheap bastard and won't be on a track any time...  but if I get a steal on a Vagon, i'm on it.

More than likely, I'll sport a 3.6 and be a poseur.

Understandable 

33 minutes ago, choripan said:

(Side note: Thanks to G650 for the note re carcass integrity and Twaron. I've never seen that attributed to Twaron, but it makes sense given that it's mostly marketed for keeping a larger contact patch under stress) 

I'm pretty much over arguing the semantics with the peanut gallery, but basically people are conflating the "Run Flat" marketing label, with tires you can actually run flat, which is what I am talking about. Basically any modern performance/race tire can run at highway speeds long enough to get the car under control with no air in them (yes, including N rated Porsche rubber). Regular tires can't.

Interestingly, I first came across Twaron in sails. It's used as one of the main load bearing fibers in a lot of membrane sails, along with carbon. There used to be a lot of aramids and PBO used, but UV degradation was heinous.

I took the picture, but I did not attempt to copulate with the driver, so I can neither confirm nor deny her openness to requests. 

And I think the picture may be playing tricks on you - she was good-natured about strangers pointing and laughing at and photographing her jalopy, but otherwise unremarkable. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom