The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I have some oil and air filters left over. You plan on keeping it long? (I miss mine, such a fun car.)

it's got a list of maintenance and repair issues to address.  could easily spend $2,000 or more fixing some things.  but every month i drive it i'm saving $700 in payments and insurance easily.  with $0 in depreciation.  and car shopping is a giant pain in the ass.  and fuck current interest rates.  might keep it even if buy something else, it's too cheap to run to get rid of. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

20240304_121743.thumb.jpg.e1ee94d0a4a3e95d13ebf1933f517115.jpg

So how was YOUR day? Because my day featured this little scene right here, with my brand-spankin' new car with not even 1600 miles on it. Hit a MASSIVE pothole that dented the rim and opened up a 2-inch gash in the tire at 8 this morning.

Now, I can file a claim with the city, but when I went to the spot where it happened this afternoon, guess what I saw?

20240304_150818.thumb.jpg.57e42626a53c0008a22585ad4c8a57b3.jpg

They fixed it.

Fuck me, right?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7
  • Prepare your anus 1

5 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

From the size of that patch I would take it to a frame shop and make sure the front suspension isn't warped.

I made sure they checked; seems like there's no frame damage.

But yeah. It was a doozy.

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I hate how more cars are coming with 18-20 inch wheels now. Makes it easier to bend a rim.

And slower to accelerate, slower to break, rougher ride, more unsprung weight...  but you trade that all for looks

My pet peeve is that you see people with tactical barbie dress up a trucks or jeeps and then they slap on big rims with small stiff sidewall tires. Off road machine indeed!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

And slower to accelerate, slower to break, rougher ride, more unsprung weight...  but you trade that all for looks

My pet peeve is that you see people with tactical barbie dress up a trucks or jeeps and then they slap on big rims with small stiff sidewall tires. Off road machine indeed!

Seems like they’re easier to break

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, locodos said:

agreed.  but wheel wells are getting ridiculous where the small wheels look pathetic. 

this is really aesthetically sensible dimension and sidewall for a mid-sized car: 235/40/19

11f479bed30be6614640d1323c3e255d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2024 at 7:40 PM, Rimbo said:

20240304_121743.thumb.jpg.e1ee94d0a4a3e95d13ebf1933f517115.jpg

So how was YOUR day? Because my day featured this little scene right here, with my brand-spankin' new car with not even 1600 miles on it. Hit a MASSIVE pothole that dented the rim and opened up a 2-inch gash in the tire at 8 this morning.

Now, I can file a claim with the city, but when I went to the spot where it happened this afternoon, guess what I saw?

20240304_150818.thumb.jpg.57e42626a53c0008a22585ad4c8a57b3.jpg

They fixed it.

Fuck me, right?

I'm right there with you.  Hit a pothole on the highway yesterday and blew out the front right tire on my car. Haven't been to Discount Tire yet, so I don't know if the rim is damaged or not.  And since my car is AWD, it's likely I will need to replace all 4 tires.

• Prepare your anus 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And since my car is AWD, it's likely I will need to replace all 4 tires.

Now that's one nice thing about doing it with a new car... hahahahhahaha... new enough I don't have to replace more than just the one. :)

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Now that's one nice thing about doing it with a new car... hahahahhahaha... new enough I don't have to replace more than just the one. :)

The tires on it only have maybe 4-5k miles on them, so there's a chance I'll only have to replace one (my car eats tires at a prodigious pace), but I have to wait and see what DT says.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2024 at 8:01 PM, EastHorn said:

Those are gonna sell like hot cakes.  Ride height is gonna kill a lot of kids in whole foods parking lot.  

It's quite a bit lower than the current Rivian offerings. And I haven't killed anyone in a parking lot yet!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:38 AM, Jersey Man10 said:

I hate how more cars are coming with 18-20 inch wheels now. Makes it easier to bend a rim.

Even the little cars like my brand new 2024 Civic Hatchback has 17” rims. 
They oughta pad the seats more in these things if they’re gonna go wagon wheel design.

347BB50B-AB20-481E-87E9-D39A0925EA9B.jpeg

625976FF-0D2D-40C9-B8B2-5D3F43092A98.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...