The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Just now, Chewbacca said:

No shit on repair costs.  Tires on those things cost something like $10-20k a set.  I'm sure a windshield is the same.  

I watched a vid once that said a typical oil service was north of 15k.  Something like 15 drain plugs under the car. Was crazy and you could do yourself cheaper obviously, but it was a shitload of time on the lift and other associated crap to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Jesus, that's highway robbery. I can do a whole excavator engine and hydraulic system for like 3 grand.

At least on the tires, they are speed rated to whatever the top speed is (~250 mph), so they had to be custom made for the Veyron (and Chiron, I'm sure).  But agreed on the other stuff.

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have never seen a new/ish Bugatti here in Pittsburgh. I've seen the old ones racing in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. And I have seen new ones in France.

Yesterday I saw what looked like a 2009/10 on a trailer heading out of town. 

You've never seen one because no one id dumb enough just to roll one up on a flatbed. Lol

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought, at first, that it was some sort of bastardization of a car made to look like one. It was ugly. It was being pulled, as you see, open-air, by an F-150.

The snow had stopped, so it wasn't so bad out. But there is a ton of shit on the road, and splatter from slush. I would not have done it that way but, it wasn't my car.

On a side note, after I did what I had to do on the other side of town I stopped at the Porsche dealer to talk about the speakers in my older 911. I looked around the showroom a bit. The Taycan is spectacular in person. If I was going with a sedan though, I'd still go with a Panamera.

The Taycan is a beautiful car in person. So much so my wife wants one pretty bad, even though she is too practical a person to pay 200k for a car. We went to Momentum and checked it out. She wanted to sign right there. TBH, if we were kidless she would've had it. lol

I find the Taycan appearance to be really 'meh,' and I've seen a couple different colors on the road now. It's exactly what I'd envision of a Panamera evolved into an electric car, which isn't a compliment.

Saw this one last week, supermarket parking lot in podunk small town.

281787041_bluetaycan.thumb.jpg.4a56d44f08ba053e30688aad640654e9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I find the Taycan appearance to be really 'meh,' and I've seen a couple different colors on the road now. It's exactly what I'd envision of a Panamera evolved into an electric car, which isn't a compliment.

Saw this one last week, supermarket parking lot in podunk small town.

281787041_bluetaycan.thumb.jpg.4a56d44f08ba053e30688aad640654e9.jpg

that's got to the worst example of one based on the color, and i dont know why porsche decided to go with such a diecast-toycar looking wheel when they've otherwise got a great catalog.

the front 3/4rd of the car looks great in person.  low and long and tight and proper exotic.  the rear end is a bit unfinished - if they shaped it like the panamera sport turismo (wagon) it would be a banger

2020-porsche-taycan-4s-review-01.jpg

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

that's got to the worst example of one based on the color, and i dont know why porsche decided to go with such a diecast-toycar looking wheel when they've otherwise got a great catalog.

the front 3/4rd of the car looks great in person.  low and long and tight and proper exotic.  the rear end is a bit unfinished - if they shaped it like the panamera sport turismo (wagon) it would be a banger

There is a lighter blue color one in Austin (like oiler blue) near the domain. Honestly looks awful in person. 

The journey of figuring out what to buy to tow a boat continues. The latest vehicle I'm looking at is the Land Rover Defender. Anyone have any views or experience with it? I know the reliability numbers are poor, but so are the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon's numbers. If possible I need a shorter vehicle, ruling out most trucks.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The journey of figuring out what to buy to tow a boat continues. The latest vehicle I'm looking at is the Land Rover Defender. Anyone have any views or experience with it? I know the reliability numbers are poor, but so are the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon's numbers. If possible I need a shorter vehicle, ruling out most trucks.

Run as fast as you can in the other direction, unless you are talking about one of the old school Defenders without any electronics.

A former Land Rover owner

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Lots of people offroad their Jeep Rubicons, lending to the poor numbers.  Land Rovers are just shit, no excuse.

Sway bar end links went to shit so I planned on installing these today, but it was too damn cold. Used it as an excuse to buy a new impact wrench.386340c27e6029e35985cf7907a126c2.jpg

8b6db9c2ac999ff583368e7b9acda41a.jpg

I did the same. Had an outer tie-rod go out so threw a stocker in there but bought the good shit to replace it. Then it got cold. These are BEEFY. Stage 3 PPE.

9a3de196dce70a6cb2e6061cf7434f94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Yeah they're prone to failure on my car so I upgraded to hopefully extend the life. Also gives me some adjustability if I decide to do future suspension mods.

They are a "weak link" on mine too, at least if you pull sleds and do boosted 4x launches.  Which I don't.  The first thing in the front end to give was that outer at 260k miles, and I figured I'd spruce up the front end a bit.  But it is too balls cold to do anything, so they are going to sit in the corner.   

My gear box lost the seal while I was out of town recently, so I swapped in a new one Monday, with a new pitman arm because I was down there.  Did the glow plugs while I had that side already pulled apart.   Luckily I did it when I did.  Unfortunately I think I might have burned up the pump (I didn't realize my box had leaked out until I was a mile down the road).  It's not burnt out completely, but it's a helluva lot harder to steer than I remember.  Luckily I was able to hit an auto parts store about 90 seconds after I heard it whine, but I think the damage was done (on top of the 1/4M miles.  That's going to be a pain in the ass on this truck. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I have never seen a new/ish Bugatti here in Pittsburgh. I've seen the old ones racing in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. And I have seen new ones in France.

Yesterday I saw what looked like a 2009/10 on a trailer heading out of town. 

IMG_0772.thumb.JPG.25e48b73ffaed6f1196a356f7b69788d.JPG

God damn the lip on those rears.  G650 is right on the looks but when you punch it in one of those it’s just different.  Made the SVJ feel like a souped up accord.  Fuck

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 5:15 AM, 52-80 said:

Yeah, I don't know why you guys think these are ugly. They are low, long, and swoopy in person. A couple in my area. I think they look about as good as you can get for a 4 door sportscar.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131366_porsche-claims-synthetically-fueled-cars-can-be-as-clean-as-evs

Is synthetic fuel the savior of internal combustion? Porsche thinks so. An executive recently told British car magazine Evo that cars running on synthetic fuel could be as clean as EVs.

Synthetic fuels will deliver an 85% reduction in carbon emissions, Dr. Frank Walliser, Porsche vice president of GT cars and motorsport, said at the launch of the 2022 911 GT3. That will equal lower "well to wheels" emissions than an electric car, once emissions related to manufacturing are factored in, he said.

A synthetic fuel should be ready for testing in 2022, Walliser said, adding that this fuel could be used in all of Porsche's current internal-combustion engines without modifications.

That fuel will come from a pilot plant in Chile named Haru Oni. Announced in late 2020, it's being overseen by a consortium that includes Porsche and fellow German firm Siemens. The plant will use wind-generated electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen will then be combined with carbon dioxide from the air to produce methanol, which in turn can be used to create synthetic gasoline, diesel, or kerosene aviation fuel.

18 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131366_porsche-claims-synthetically-fueled-cars-can-be-as-clean-as-evs

Is synthetic fuel the savior of internal combustion? Porsche thinks so. An executive recently told British car magazine Evo that cars running on synthetic fuel could be as clean as EVs.

Synthetic fuels will deliver an 85% reduction in carbon emissions, Dr. Frank Walliser, Porsche vice president of GT cars and motorsport, said at the launch of the 2022 911 GT3. That will equal lower "well to wheels" emissions than an electric car, once emissions related to manufacturing are factored in, he said.

A synthetic fuel should be ready for testing in 2022, Walliser said, adding that this fuel could be used in all of Porsche's current internal-combustion engines without modifications.

That fuel will come from a pilot plant in Chile named Haru Oni. Announced in late 2020, it's being overseen by a consortium that includes Porsche and fellow German firm Siemens. The plant will use wind-generated electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen will then be combined with carbon dioxide from the air to produce methanol, which in turn can be used to create synthetic gasoline, diesel, or kerosene aviation fuel.

innovation like this has me siding on the Toyota CEO's side that politics forcing 100% Electric vehicles is the wrong/misguided path.  We aren't sure that Electric is even the best replacement to ICE yet.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

innovation like this has me siding on the Toyota CEO's side that politics forcing 100% Electric vehicles is the wrong/misguided path.  We aren't sure that Electric is even the best replacement to ICE yet.

On Carfection on YouTube they had a bit about this when reviewing a new Porsche.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agree totally. When you see lithium mines and think about how much diesel the heavy equipment uses in the mining process, and think about how much natural gas, the gas fired plants will use to produce the electricity to run the car over its lifetime, then add the amount of diesel it took to mine the iron ore to build additional power plants, if all cars are to become electric, it seems to me that a moderately fuel efficient car would have less carbon emissions over that same lifetime.

How is that for a run-on sentence.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

Asking for advice from the good folks of surly.

Now I am no way trying to make this political at all, but not mentioning it wouldn't give the full picture. I have a good friend. We've been friends since I went off to college in the early 90's. He owns a big shop. He does all kinds of repairs from run of the mill to full rebuilds of hotrods, and even has a dyno. I dropped off my blown, widebodied 90 Fox Mustang for a few mods that this old dog COULD do, but would rather have someone else tackle at this point in my life. Since I moved back to Texas 5 years ago, I have been taking my rides there for whatever needs to get done. He usually gets them knocked out and back to me pretty quick. He even called me out of the blue to tell me about a line on a drag car chassis that a guy he knew was selling for cheap that was mini-tubbed, and had a full rollcage in it, and parachute setup that I bought. This time I dropped the car off in July and still haven't seen any work on it so far. He is a huge Trump supporter. I am a pretty big opposer to that guy as most of you know. We have had no direct arguments but I have with mutual friends. I don't want to ruin a 20+ year friendship over a 4 year Presidency and a car repair but shit man I want my car back. I built the car. All that is left to do is put the IRS in it(heavy as shit), and write the tune for the new blower. At first I thought he was just really busy, so I let him do his thing. However, I am starting to wonder if it's not because of politics. But weather is about to break, and I want to take it to shows.

What would you do?

Edited by Thatguy