The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s all kinds of fantastic colors for sports cars. Except Ferrari. That fact they even have more than 1 color is absurd. 

I know the ferrarista are all about that Rosso Corsa  ….but man This is the jam

http://www.rssportscars.com/photos/videos/porsche-carrera-gt-ferrari-f40/ferrari-f40-yellow-h.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Okie State said:

Had a lady on Nextdoor giving away ten gallons of ethanol free 92 octane because they 'accidentally bought it' and the internet told her she couldn't run it in her 'special high performance vehicle'.

Lololol

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

If it's new, isn't it actually an MX-5?

Yes and No. 

it still officially has Miata as part of the name in the US.  The MX-5 Miata.

The Miata brand name is too strong here. Everywhere else it is just MX5.

With that said, the “Miata” moniker appears is on the Window sticker only. Manual, website, badging/beanding, everything else is just MX-5. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

best car in the thread.

4 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Seconded.

Thanks. 

It is incredibly fun to drive even at 35mph on the streets. It is so balanced and grounded. But it is definitely not fast with 0-60 time. Now I have a car where I dont need to speed to enjoy it. Goodbye tickets. As they say “max” smiles per gallon.  

Edited by remoh
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, remoh said:

Thanks. 

It is incredibly fun to drive even at 35mph on the streets. It is so balanced and grounded. But it is definitely not fast with 0-60 time. Now I have a car where I dont need to speed to enjoy it. Goodbye tickets. As they say “max” smiles per gallon.  

5.7 0-60 is not too shabby, really.  I'm a bit surprised it doesn't have a wee turbo mill these days.  Seems like just a few extra ft-lbs would make it even more of a scream.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, fattyflattie said:

Can it be turned off? 

Wife’s new one got 22’s because she loved them.   She’s been bitching all week about the ride of them.  Stupid wives thread needs a visit. 

Wife blew two tires last week on the new Audi in a pothole coming out of Halal Guys off of North Shep. Limped it to the Audi dealership next door and viola 2 new tires and 800 lighter. I should've rethought the sport package.

Edited by Thatguy

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Wife blew two tires last week on the new Audi in a pothole coming out of Halal Guys off of North Shep. Limped it to the Audi dealership next door and viola 2 new tires and 800 lighter. I should've rethought the sport package.

They look great. Ride is shit, which sucks for a luxobarge.   The expense was only a few hundred bucks more, just wrote that off for her being happy with them.  I just thought it was lol because she’s just now learning real world physics lessons. 

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

They look great. Ride is shit, which sucks for a luxobarge.   The expense was only a few hundred bucks more, just wrote that off for her being happy with them.  I just thought it was lol because she’s just now learning real world physics lessons. 

I am not a male chauvinist per se, but it is my personal experience that the women folk and low profile tire rim combos are not good together. We haven't even got 3k on the clock yet and boom.

5.7 0-60 is not too shabby, really.  I'm a bit surprised it doesn't have a wee turbo mill these days.  Seems like just a few extra ft-lbs would make it even more of a scream.

This. One of CHIEF Jr.'s favorite cars. We will probably buy a used one with a gazillion miles, drop in forged guts, a turbo, built transmission/clutch, and upgraded rear differential. Would be an absolute blast with 350-400hp at the track in Cresson.

CHIEF

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This will happen again if she spends anytime downtown. It’s a beating. 

On 3/8/2021 at 11:09 AM, Thatguy said:

I am not a male chauvinist per se, but it is my personal experience that the women folk and low profile tire rim combos are not good together. We haven't even got 3k on the clock yet and boom.

Wife was driving the X5 a couple weeks ago and side swiped a driver side curb. 3400 miles on odometer. It has 22s with rubber-band tires. Both rims are curb rashed pretty good.

It then became my fault ...

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

Wife was driving the X5 a couple weeks ago and side swiped a driver side curb. 3400 miles on odometer. It has 22s with rubber-band tires. Both rims are curb rashed pretty good.

Does it have a spare or just a can of fix a flat and a shitty inflator?

On 3/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, Thatguy said:

Did you get runflats again?  I guess if they're super low profile, runflats offer a bit of rim protection that conventionals wouldn't, even if they're rough as a cob.

Shouldn't you have dragged ass over to Discount and at least gotten road hazard protection?

My last two vehicles had a tire size that was pretty unique to the car, so I had very limited selection on replacement.

Even though the ATS uses staggered front rear, the sizes are common so I actually will have a considerable choice next time I have to buy.  That choice brings prices way the fuck down, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 3/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

This will happen again if she spends anytime downtown. It’s a beating. 

She should've taken the Suburban because it's always bad over there.

4 hours ago, LebongJames said:

You must be new here. It's always our fault.

Did you get runflats again?  I guess if they're super low profile, runflats offer a bit of rim protection that conventionals wouldn't, even if they're rough as a cob.

Shouldn't you have dragged ass over to Discount and at least gotten road hazard protection?

My last two vehicles had a tire size that was pretty unique to the car, so I had very limited selection on replacement.

Even though the ATS uses staggered front rear, the sizes are common so I actually will have a considerable choice next time I have to buy.  That choice brings prices way the fuck down, too.

Somewhere you must've missed where I said she was driving(I was not present), so logic and reason went out the window.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, remoh said:

Thanks. 

That's the key.  I enjoy the Maserati more than the super cars because you can get into 'em a little bit and have fun during a normal drive.  You get into a 800 hp supercar on normal streets and you've got very little time before you're in deep shit.  Congrats. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That's the key.  I enjoy the Maserati more than the super cars because you can get into 'em a little bit and have fun during a normal drive.  You get into a 800 hp supercar on normal streets and you've got very little time before you're in deep shit.  Congrats. 

Drive a late 80’s/early 90’s 911 turbo.  You’re in trouble when you pull out of the driveway.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Been there.  Slantnose 930S.  Fuck yes. 

I’ve not owned one.  Had a friend who had one, and it was the only vehicle he ever owned that he wouldn’t let me take for a little drive.  His reason was that you will probably kill both of us if I let you drive it.  Widowmaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Drive a late 80’s/early 90’s 911 turbo.  You’re in trouble when you pull out of the driveway.

Remember a test drive with a friend a couple of years ago when he was in the market. Rear end wanted loose...for everything. It wanted to drift in school zones, it gave no fucks.  Smelled like gas. 

Damn I want that car. 

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Remember a test drive with a friend a couple of years ago when he was in the market. Rear end wanted loose...for everything. It wanted to drift in school zones, it gave no fucks.  Smelled like gas. 

Damn I want that car. 

Rear end wants to get loose on any turn, no matter how fast you are going.  And me too on still wanting it.  He dumped that car quickly because it scared him.  This was 15 years ago, if he had kept it I’m guessing he could’ve tripled his money at a minimum.

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Lift throttle oversteer is a bitch.

It's been nearly 10 years that I have been back in RWD and I still kind of have to remind myself how it handles.

I can't imagine how hard it is to get used to that.

It’s not about RWD, assuming you are talking about the 911, it’s about all of the weight in the rear + RWD.  Dangerous combo.

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s not about RWD, assuming you are talking about the 911, it’s about all of the weight in the rear + RWD.  Dangerous combo.

I'm aware.

What I mean is, after driving FWD for 20 years, and RWD for the last 10, I still kind of have to remind myself that I can use throttle steer with a RWD car.

That lift-throttle oversteer in the 911 is such an unusual behavior that it probably takes lots of time to remind yourself not to let up in a curve or turn.  No matter how intellectually conscious of that notion you may be.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm aware.

What I mean is, after driving FWD for 20 years, and RWD for the last 10, I still kind of have to remind myself that I can use throttle steer with a RWD car.

That lift-throttle oversteer in the 911 is such an unusual behavior that it probably takes lots of time to remind yourself not to let up in a curve or turn.  No matter how intellectually conscious of that notion you may be.

Giving it gas when you feel like you are losing control is something that probably takes some getting used to.  I’ve toyed with the idea of an older Porsche a few times over the years. Driven a bunch of them. The base models are a handful, the turbos are probably two handfuls.   Never pulled the trigger.  My bank account is sad.

On 3/6/2021 at 1:27 PM, Brew said:

My interior designer on my office had the exterior of my building painted black. She knew we wouldn’t sign off on it, so she had it painted to try it out. She’s the wife of probably my largest client, so I just shake my head every time I pull in the parking lot at this point counting down the days until it needs a repaint.

Painting a building black ?  Have you seen an increase in HVAC costs ?

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Painting a building black ?  Have you seen an increase in HVAC costs ?

Not that we’ve noticed, it looks more charcoal gray in the sun. The painted brick portion is only 10 feet high and then it has a large pitched roof. All the accents (gutters, trim, covered entrances, etc) are white as well.

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Giving it gas when you feel like you are losing control is something that probably takes some getting used to.  I’ve toyed with the idea of an older Porsche a few times over the years. Driven a bunch of them. The base models are a handful, the turbos are probably two handfuls.   Never pulled the trigger.  My bank account is sad.

Trying keeping the pedal down in a full wheelie or else you'll obliterate the front end when it lands. I will take drifting over that shit every time. At least I can see.

Drove a Taycan Turbo for the first time at COTA today. I have never been a fan of electric (but really no experience with it either) and, holy crap, they are fast when you put your foot down. I’m used to stepping on a car, it drops a gear sometimes, then goes.  This instantly threw you back in your seat and was gone. 

Handling was just “ok”. Lots of body roll but you could still get the rear end around and settled.  Not bad for a sedan. 

Power wise, it would destroy my Panamera GTS. Handling wise, GTS is much better. Still very impressed though.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/1/2021 at 9:05 AM, smuggs said:

Whoa, my wife bought an Escalade on Thursday too.

escalade1.jpg

Finally got the wheels in last week for hers. They have gotten carried away with some of this tech. The video rear view mirror is a little much. I’m not sure I like the close up view of the person in the car behind me at the red light.

• Hook 'Em 1