The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, as a coupefag I can live without a back seat or a comfortable back seat, but then I can also dispense with the second set of doors.

I can understand that. For us, our 12 year old little girl currently stands at 5'9, so we were staring down that giant folding herself up to get in the backseat everyday...lol. The 7 is the best looking Audi though.

Edited by Thatguy

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  I was going to get an S7 until I sat in the backseat of one.  That's why I have an S6.  I have to sit with my head at an angle to sit in that backseat.  Form over function.

Simple solution, never ride in the back seat of your own vehicle. Who cares about other people back there. When my kids were little, I used to laugh at my wife doing carpool in her A5. 

Simple solution, never ride in the back seat of your own vehicle. Who cares about other people back there. When my kids were little, I used to laugh at my wife doing carpool in her A5. 
I don't, but at the time i got it, i needed to be able to drive adults around from time to time.

Thinking about either tuning the S6 or trading it in for something like a 997 or 991 911.  The Audi has been great and I love it, but it might be time for something new.  Maybe a 997 TT or 991 C2S (or GTS).  Just want something fun and no longer need to be able to seat adults in the backseat (don't really need a backseat).  What other suggestions?  I'd like to keep it at 70-80k on the high end.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Thinking about either tuning the S6 or trading it in for something like a 997 or 991 911.  The Audi has been great and I love it, but it might be time for something new.  Maybe a 997 TT or 991 C2S (or GTS).  Just want something fun and no longer need to be able to seat adults in the backseat (don't really need a backseat).  What other suggestions?  I'd like to keep it at 70-80k on the high end.

I decided on a 991. Great looking car! Prices on those are good right now. Unless something weird happens I will have one by the end of the summer. Just trying to narrow down what model I want.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

I decided on a 991. Great looking car! Prices on those are good right now. Unless something weird happens I will have one by the end of the summer. Just trying to narrow down what model I want.

Yeah, the 13 year old in me says I want the 997TT but my S6 is faster than I can drive on the street.  Do I really need something faster?  Even a 991 C2S is probably faster.  

Anyone shop M3s and M4s recently?  Those could be interesting.

Just purchased my two tickets for the PCA Spring Raffle.
They are raffling two cars: 2021 Cayman GT4 & 2021 Cayman GTS.
I'd be happy winning one of those.

Caymans are badass little cars. Had a dustup with this one on the freeway last week. Surprisingly quick!d04340838960427db0f05d47ca6a216c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, the 13 year old in me says I want the 997TT but my S6 is faster than I can drive on the street.  Do I really need something faster?  Even a 991 C2S is probably faster.  

Anyone shop M3s and M4s recently?  Those could be interesting.

The vortech blown Fox is putting about 525 to the wheels. More when we Coyote swap it. Not sure if I want a whole stable of widowmakers. Besides, the NA Porsche flat 6 is heaven through the gears. Despite how much power they put down, the TT variant just doesn't sound the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The vortech blown Fox is putting about 525 to the wheels. More when we Coyote swap it. Not sure if I want a whole stable of widowmakers. Besides, the NA Porsche flat 6 is heaven through the gears. Despite how much power they put down, the TT variant just doesn't sound the same.

Agreed.  Think I definitely want a manual.  They're getting harder and harder to find these days.  Gotta get out there and drive some cars.

My S6 has a dual clutch transmission and while it's fun and shifts lightning quick, it's effectively an automatic.  I assume PDK will feel much the same.  I'd rather row my own.  don't care what is actually faster.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Just speaking my opinion and experience, the 991's are far superior to the 997's.  I had a 997TTS and 997 GT3.  The GT3 was great but the TTS never felt like it was connected to the ground.  Granted, it was fast in a straight line.  But, always felt loose.  Given the choice, I would take the 991 C2S or GTS any day over the 997TT.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

Anybody use a Motive brake bleeder system before? I finally got around to ordering one so I could stop being a piece of shit and neglecting my brake fluid.

Yes, they make the job much easier.  Protip, don't put the fluid in there, just use it for pressure and disconnect and fill the reservoir directly when it gets low.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Why not? Every demo I've seen filled the pressure bottle.

Lots of reasons.  Brake fluid sucks, cleanliness, clogs between uses, changing of different brake fluid between cars and cleanliness (I know I said that twice).  It's much easier to just unscrew it and fill the reservoir a few times while doing the flush than deal with the above.  

• Like 1

Lots of reasons.  Brake fluid sucks, cleanliness, clogs between uses, changing of different brake fluid between cars and cleanliness (I know I said that twice).  It's much easier to just unscrew it and fill the reservoir a few times while doing the flush than deal with the above.  
Good to know. I'll keep it in mind. I'm probably going to do a test run to flush mine out since it's long overdue. I'll be doing a full rotor and pad swap in the next few months so I'll change it again then.

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Agreed.  Think I definitely want a manual.  They're getting harder and harder to find these days.  Gotta get out there and drive some cars.

My S6 has a dual clutch transmission and while it's fun and shifts lightning quick, it's effectively an automatic.  I assume PDK will feel much the same.  I'd rather row my own.  don't care what is actually faster.

We have 6 cars, two of which are sticks. My wife cannot drive either of them, which is a pain for moving things around. I also live in Houston, and even though neither stick car is my main source of transportation, I get stuck in traffic on the regular with them which is a huge pain. So PDK it will be for me. I will keep the fox a stick for the rowdiness. The PDK is the baddest DCT out there. Love the way it sounds, especially on downshifts. If you've ever driven one it will jump from gear 7 to gear 3 instantaneously. First transmission I'd ever seen do that.

We have 6 cars, two of which are sticks. My wife cannot drive either of them, which is a pain for moving things around. I also live in Houston, and even though neither stick car is my main source of transportation, I get stuck in traffic on the regular with them which is a huge pain. So PDK it will be for me. I will keep the fox a stick for the rowdiness. The PDK is the baddest DCT out there. Love the way it sounds, especially on downshifts. If you've ever driven one it will jump from gear 7 to gear 3 instantaneously. First transmission I'd ever seen do that.
Yeah, the Audi DCT is really good. Maybe not quite as good as PDK, but close. Still, i want a manual. And my wife can't drive one, either. DCTs are great for utility and driving fast, but they lose some soul.

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Caymans are badass little cars. Had a dustup with this one on the freeway last week. Surprisingly quick!d04340838960427db0f05d47ca6a216c.jpg

Yeah, I like them too, especially with the engine change. Although, I did drive one of the 2.5 turbos and I actually liked the sound with the pops and crackles. Is it a better sound than my 1998 911? Of course not. But they are all good cars, just varying degrees of awesomeness. 

I enjoy shifting gears in mine. It’s different than the 1979 Diesel Rabbit I learned on but I can still picture my dad taking me to our hilly back roads here the summer I turned 15 and teaching me how to shift.

• Like 1

Took first road trip in the DBX this weekend, wife and I scuttled up to Charlottesville for a quick getaway. It was probably first time I really got to see how much AM culture is rooted in GT cars, in GT mode this thing just chews up miles. Both of my X5s have been wonderful highway cars in terms of performance and comfort, but the suspension of the DBX is another level. It soaks up everything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Okie State said:

Anybody use a Motive brake bleeder system before? I finally got around to ordering one so I could stop being a piece of shit and neglecting my brake fluid.

I've used them for over 20yr, but echo the rec to not fill them with fluid, use them for pressure only, the cleanup sucks otherwise and you always want to use the freshest brake fluid you can and minimize air exposure. Also, they have a fancier model with metal machined reservoir cap, instead of the plastic one.

There's always the option to modify a pump weed sprayer and a spare OEM cap and make your own pressure bleeder.

That said, if you're just doing one or two cars, just get a helper to press the pedal for you and do it the conventional way, instead of having a rarely used tool taking up garage space. Just make sure they press steady and that you open and close the bleeder during their press stroke (don't open before they start pressing, and don't let them bottom out the pedal before you close). On older cars, if you let them bottom the pedal, it moves the MC piston into an area of the bore that hasn't been used for regular braking in a long time, which has dirt or corrosion, and it'll damage the seal and cause a MC leak not long after. Wait 10-20sec between pumps to make sure the main MC piston has time to retract (on cars that have secondaries).

There are some situations where pedal pump works better than Motive, due to ability to pump the pedal faster and get some fluid velocity through the lines - I've had cases where an air bubble just sat somewhere in the lines with the Motive, fluid moving around the bubble, and it took a couple hard pedal stabs to get it to move to the bleeder.

• Like 1

Took first road trip in the DBX this weekend, wife and I scuttled up to Charlottesville for a quick getaway. It was probably first time I really got to see how much AM culture is rooted in GT cars, in GT mode this thing just chews up miles. Both of my X5s have been wonderful highway cars in terms of performance and comfort, but the suspension of the DBX is another level. It soaks up everything.
I'm not much of a crossover guy but that's a badass ride. I hope you drive the shit out of it and enjoy every mile my bro. Currently at the Audi dealership getting the first change. Guy took me upstairs to look at the r8. Almost had me rethinking the Porsche thing. R8 is a nasty little car.

I'm not much of a crossover guy but that's a badass ride. I hope you drive the shit out of it and enjoy every mile my bro. Currently at the Audi dealership getting the first change. Guy took me upstairs to look at the r8. Almost had me rethinking the Porsche thing. R8 is a nasty little car.

R8s are nice. Might have to add that to the list.

Here's an excellent way to ruin my weekend and piss away $430 on a replacement tire.  Was a new Continental Extreme Contact Sport in an odd size that I can't retrieve until Tuesday.
I am now looking at LS/LT-swapped Jeeps to add to the stable.

IMG-3522.jpg
Gotta get that Discount Tire road hazard warranty.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Gotta get that Discount Tire road hazard warranty.

Thing is, I don't even bother with Discount Tire anymore.  These are on three-stage refinished HREs, Discount Tire would surely fuck up, so I switched to a mobile and enthusiast-oriented tire and wheel guy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Here's an excellent way to ruin my weekend and piss away $430 on a replacement tire.  Was a new Continental Extreme Contact Sport in an odd size that I can't retrieve until Tuesday.

I am now looking at LS/LT-swapped Jeeps to add to the stable.

IMG-3522.jpg

So hateful. I get a nail or screw at least once a month with all the jobs sites I drive

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Thanks my dude.

I'm not really a crossover person myself, I've been a hot rod SUV guy since the 5.9 Cherokee came out back in 98. I've had pretty much conventional SUVs up through my X5s, the crossovers like the X6 and that ilk are vomit inducing.

The DBX is sort of weird, it's sort of it's own thing. Even the Rolls and Bentley are basically conventional SUVs, so it's not exactly like those either. The crossovers are basically little cars perched on top of big tires, the DBX definitely isn't that, it's bigger in every direction (bigger than a Range Rover actually), but the body is shaped to make it appear smaller, so aesthetically it has it's own thing happening instead of a normal boxy SUV look.

I guess I'd say it's somewhere between a Urus and a Range Rover Sport

• Hook 'Em 1

Thing is, I don't even bother with Discount Tire anymore.  These are on three-stage refinished HREs, Discount Tire would surely fuck up, so I switched to a mobile and enthusiast-oriented tire and wheel guy.
No way I would take HRE's to Discount. Might as well throw those away right now. I have a new set of double beadlock wheels for my drag car. I need someone to toss some old drag radials on just to roll it around but no way will I take those to them. I will do it myself. Lol7c9ca5cf804519e9b34c3005940ecf3d.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No way I would take HRE's to Discount. Might as well throw those away right now. I have a new set of double beadlock wheels for my drag car. I need someone to toss some old drag radials on just to roll it around but no way will I take those to them. I will do it myself. Lol7c9ca5cf804519e9b34c3005940ecf3d.jpg

Ether and a lighter my man. And take video.

• Like 1

On the 911 front, what do folks think about 991.1 vs 991.2?  Seems like many prefer the NA engine to the turbos in the 16+?  How about PDK vs stick?  I want a stick, but looking around they are hard as hell to find.  Is the PDK robust?  Any must have options?

Edited by Chewbacca

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

On the 911 front, what do folks think about 991.1 vs 991.2?  Seems like many prefer the NA engine to the turbos in the 16+?  How about PDK vs stick?  I want a stick, but looking around they are hard as hell to find.  Is the PDK robust?  Any must have options?

I can only help on the GT3's for the 991. For that, the 4.0 certainly makes a big difference in the 991.2. As far as PDK, it is relatively bulletproof, never seems to be in the wrong gear and much quicker in a straight line and around a track than the manual.  But, the manuals seem to hold their value better and they are fun.  Depending on which version you are looking at, front axle lift is pretty nice.  I don't think you get launch control (which I have never used) unless you get the chrono package.  Other than that, options don't mean that much to me so I would just stay away from the base model 991.1.  Wife has that one and while it's still a Porsche, it doesn't drive or feel like one.  

1 minute ago, Atxracer said:

I can only help on the GT3's for the 991. For that, the 4.0 certainly makes a big difference in the 991.2. As far as PDK, it is relatively bulletproof, never seems to be in the wrong gear and much quicker in a straight line and around a track than the manual.  But, the manuals seem to hold their value better and they are fun.  Depending on which version you are looking at, front axle lift is pretty nice.  I don't think you get launch control (which I have never used) unless you get the chrono package.  Other than that, options don't mean that much to me so I would just stay away from the base model 991.1.  Wife has that one and while it's still a Porsche, it doesn't drive or feel like one.  

Thanks.  Haven't gotten out to drive anything yet (it's still fucking snowing in Denver.  I'm ready for winter to end), but I think I'm leaning towards a C2S - don't want a base.  I won't be driving it in the winter so I don't care about AWD.  I have 2 Landcruisers for that.   On the lower end 991s, I've read some reviews that the turbo lag is annoying because the NA engines just go.  

My S6 has a DCT and it's fast but relatively boring.  I almost never use the paddle shifters.  But the wife can't drive stick and I think if I got this car and she can't drive it, she'll be pissed.  Didn't someone here buy a CPO GTS recently and had to have his PDK replaced?

I don’t know.  I’m not a mustang guy by any stretch but they always sound really good (well the ones that are done right) 
Some do. Probably mostly the newer ones and especially the GT350 with the flat-plane crank motor. I'm thinking about the thousands of them with the loudest Flowmasters you can buy. 100% chance it's a Mustang without even looking.

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I have a porche with pdk and one with a manual.  I drove the stick for 14 years as a daily driver.  I now drive the pdk as a daily.  THeir version of the PDK is simply the best transmission in a production car, and yes i have tried the ferrari, lambo and mcclaren versions.  THe porsche unit is the hands down winner here.  If you're going to use the car as a daily get the PDK.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I love those factory vids. Simply amazing to me. 

I've been lucky enough to tour three different factories, two Mercedes and one Audi. I have not been to Porsche for that, although I have been to the old museums for both Porsche and Mercedes. I need to go to the new ones.

The factory tours in person are amazing because you really get a good idea of the scale of precision needed to make cars today. On the same line, one after the other, you could have a right-hand drive car followed by a left-hand drive car, and think nothing of the massive differences involved.