The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

19 hours ago, elfenix said:

under $60k, chitowndoc has that stuck in his couch

Hey now, that’s a solid trip to Vegas.  

We all bitch about the ‘vette but that’s some serious bang for the buck.  And I’m not too old to remember drooling over them in high school - when those LT-1’s rolled out, all I could afford was the Z-28, but that was still boner inducing.  

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hey now, that’s a solid trip to Vegas.  

We all bitch about the ‘vette but that’s some serious bang for the buck.  And I’m not too old to remember drooling over them in high school - when those LT-1’s rolled out, all I could afford was the Z-28, but that was still boner inducing.  

This fucking braggart here could only afford the z28 models while in high school

30 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Serious question: why dont you get a Koennigsegg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We just got a place in Miami so I’ll use the cars more.  Will ship 1-2 fun ones there for 9 months. In chicago it’s hard to properly enjoy them.  The few good months here I try to spend Saturdays on a boat - and not sober. 

As for why all the Lambos...I’m good friends w the owner of Gold Coast Bentley. He is the number 2 sales guy for Lambo in the country - impressive for Chicago.  He let’s me keep turning these in and barely hits me on the trade in.  

If I get something truly crazy it’s gonna be building out a Singer but there’s literally thousands of options and you need to stay involved through the buildout.  

Right now, I still work a lot and after we did our deal the PE group is paying for a full time driver (and the Maybach truck when it comes out!).  I spend 2-3 hrs on the road every day.  I come home and hit the gym...that eats up a whole day.  I stay caught up on calls and emails on the road and even get plenty of Surlytime.  Good setup   

So I guess it’s just that the Lambo’s are quick and easy.  And I don’t drive enough around here to get a truly crazy exotic.  But I’ve been in a Koennigsegg and they’re another level of badass.  

Shit that was a lot of detail.  Need to post in the wives thread about getting ready for a simple brunch...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Probably going with a 550i. Nice discount off the M and plenty fast. I still have young kids, so I'll save the M/Porsche life for when they are in college. I got called out for 73 in a 70 today.

73 in a 70 is fucking nonsense. 

I'm vicariously annoyed on your behalf. 

5 hours ago, Loco said:

*cough* Snake Road *cough*

snake-road.jpg

Card Sound Road is also entertaining. Not as much fun as 27, but it has better destinations in that direction. Brunch at Boca Cheeka is a good turnaround point if you aren't going further south. 

The drive sucks, but the lobster reuben at Keys Fisheries in Marathon is worth the aggravation. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

73 in a 70 is fucking nonsense. 
I'm vicariously annoyed on your behalf. 
I changed the dashboard setting so it didn't show the speed.

The 2020 550i adds about 70 hp so it's about 520hp. Plan on ordering one this week. For 90k or so I don't think I can beat it. The M is amazing but not worth the premium.

18 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I changed the dashboard setting so it didn't show the speed.

The 2020 550i adds about 70 hp so it's about 520hp. Plan on ordering one this week. For 90k or so I don't think I can beat it. The M is amazing but not worth the premium.

I misunderstood - I thought you were saying that you got a ticket for 73 in a 70.

Now that I understand, I'm still vicariously annoyed. 

Probably going with a 550i. Nice discount off the M and plenty fast. I still have young kids, so I'll save the M/Porsche life for when they are in college. I got called out for 73 in a 70 today.

550 can still get you in plenty of trouble. And you're invisible, which is nice.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I saw something about the C8 that befuddled me for a moment.  You pull back on the paddles and all the clutches disengage.  I was like wtf, why?

Then I realized that's a "launch" thing.  Maybe that's common on paddle-shifted automanuals.  

No, only 1 or 2 supercars , and i *think* F1 does the same

On 7/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

We just got a place in Miami so I’ll use the cars more.  Will ship 1-2 fun ones there for 9 months. In chicago it’s hard to properly enjoy them.  The few good months here I try to spend Saturdays on a boat - and not sober. 

As for why all the Lambos...I’m good friends w the owner of Gold Coast Bentley. He is the number 2 sales guy for Lambo in the country - impressive for Chicago.  He let’s me keep turning these in and barely hits me on the trade in.  

If I get something truly crazy it’s gonna be building out a Singer but there’s literally thousands of options and you need to stay involved through the buildout.  

Right now, I still work a lot and after we did our deal the PE group is paying for a full time driver (and the Maybach truck when it comes out!).  I spend 2-3 hrs on the road every day.  I come home and hit the gym...that eats up a whole day.  I stay caught up on calls and emails on the road and even get plenty of Surlytime.  Good setup   

So I guess it’s just that the Lambo’s are quick and easy.  And I don’t drive enough around here to get a truly crazy exotic.  But I’ve been in a Koennigsegg and they’re another level of badass.  

Shit that was a lot of detail.  Need to post in the wives thread about getting ready for a simple brunch...

You need a place at The Thermal Club.   Seasonal flights into PSP will get you there easily. 

https://www.palmspringslife.com/thermal-club/

If you decide to buy, I can hook you up with a great RE agent.  

Meanwhile, did you buy on the beach, or CG?

Edited by Gil Bang

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, HoustonHorn said:

when my wife calls me out for something like this my standard reply is that if I need any lip outta her I will pull down her pants.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Snacks said:

2020 Supra is out today. somebody go get one.

hard pass.  that has to be the most disappointing re-launch of a great car.  I still cannot believe Toyota built the new supra out of the BMW parts bin.  It's unfathomable for a car maker like Toyota to do that, especially with their most recognizable performance car.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

when my wife calls me out for something like this my standard reply is that if I need any lip outta her I will pull down her pants.  

There's a 50/50 chance I kill myself with 530 hp. That probably goes up to about 80% at 620 hp. I don't mind, this thing will do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds with 456 hp and I assume will be in the low-mid 3s with 530. That's plenty fast.

But I do like that response and will keep it in my arsenal for future reference. :)

19 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

hard pass.  that has to be the most disappointing re-launch of a great car.  I still cannot believe Toyota built the new supra out of the BMW parts bin.  It's unfathomable for a car maker like Toyota to do that, especially with their most recognizable performance car.  

I don't even give them the credit of building the Supra-- the whole car was contracted with inputs on tuning and sheetmetal to separate it from the Z4.  TMNA's HQ is in my backyard and I've ripped on the brand to their associates but it's clear TM is incapable of creating anything beyond appliances now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jbyzmtgU_0

Somewhere in this 9/11-explained-like BMW-Supra video the author cocked up to explain all about the Toyota-BMW partnership, a side-story evolves about the Kaizen principles Toyota exercised on BMW to make the B58 engine "Toyota-worthy" of precision, efficiency and reliability.

...then I'm reminded of the BRZ/FRS and struggle to maintain a straight face.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 7/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, HoustonHorn said:

550 can still get you in plenty of trouble. And you're invisible, which is nice.

I love my 535i w/ M package.  Sport+, paddle shifting and lots of speed.  I am a former GT3 track guy and this BMW will do anything you want for a street car.  

• Like 1

I’ve got an empty garage slot at the new place in case you want to keep something here to take out on the north Georgia twisties. We have some terrible wineries that are fun to drive to.

I’m generous like that.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:48 PM, pepper brooks said:

and the next one is gonna be a mazda

45 minutes ago, sidis said:

not that anyone doesn't know what they look like but...

file-31.jpg

file1-15.jpg

Great looking vehicle.  I sincerely wish you better experiences with yours than I had with the 3 I owned.  They have always done a great job on exterior design.  Hopefully their electronics are functional.  

On 7/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Switch the speedo to Kph....  check mate nerds Kids