The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ll definitely check into a clear protectant skin for the front of the next car.

I've used XPEL and Avery with really good results.  XPEL is a little thicker and provides better protection, and Avery blends into the paint better.  Stay away from the 3M family of PPFs.

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Didn't see a detailing thread. Which car wax is recommended? I plan to clay bar my white BMW today and would appreciate any suggestions for the finishing wax or polish job.

For black paint, Zaino.  It's a multi step process but worth the time on black paint.  For everything else, I like Optimum Car Wax because it can be applied to the entire car (paint, glass, plastic) and doesn't leave any white residue.  

• Like 1

For black paint, Zaino.  It's a multi step process but worth the time on black paint.  For everything else, I like Optimum Car Wax because it can be applied to the entire car (paint, glass, plastic) and doesn't leave any white residue.  

What's wrong with 3M ppf? I got just the front of mine done two years ago and haven't had any issues. It's garaged 95% of the time though.

If I had it to do over, and likely will eventually, I'd probably go with Xpel just based off of the reviews I've read.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

What's wrong with 3M ppf? I got just the front of mine done two years ago and haven't had any issues. It's garaged 95% of the time though.

If I had it to do over, and likely will eventually, I'd probably go with Xpel just based off of the reviews I've read.

3M tends to yellow more than the other PPFs - IMO.  If it's garaged you should be fine.

• Like 1

3M tends to yellow more than the other PPFs - IMO.  If it's garaged you should be fine.

Yeah, I've read some issues with it yellowing/cracking but am hoping the garage helps. I assumed that was an issue with all brands, but maybe not. First sign of any yellowing and it's coming off.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:21 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

This been posted?

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/2018-ford-mustang-cobra-jet/

its your basic brand new factory 8 second mustang. 

So how do they get away with selling a car with a roll cage when Porsche can't?

Non-street legal, or are Porsche and other European manufacturers just not wanting to deal with our sueing lawyers?

3 hours ago, otisdog said:

So how do they get away with selling a car with a roll cage when Porsche can't?

Non-street legal, or are Porsche and other European manufacturers just not wanting to deal with our sueing lawyers?

When?  Porsche sells roll cage option to street legal RS cars.  

There's nothing restricting it's use on roads.  Only restriction is that it is *required* on drag strips when exceeding a certain performance barrier

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

When?  Porsche sells roll cage option to street legal RS cars. 

Not in the US they don't....and they make it very difficult to buy one over the counter in Europe. Very difficult.

On US RS's, they also remove the floor reinforcements for the bars that every Euro car comes with.

2 hours ago, otisdog said:

Not in the US they don't....and they make it very difficult to buy one over the counter in Europe. Very difficult.

On US RS's, they also remove the floor reinforcements for the bars that every Euro car comes with.

Intedassting...i thought I seen non-racing gt3 on Rennlist  with the cages.  .the local configurator don't offer it either so maybe it's not yet offered for current gen ?

What you saw was a ROW club sport option which comes with the cage. If you order a RS with the Weissach package, you get a titanium cage, amongst other costly things. Rollbars and cages have never been offered in the US, but you could buy factory ones for a 997 from various vendors. The 997 were the last to have the floor reinforcements, which were dropped sometime during the run. Current US GT's with the racy bucket seats are supposed to come without a cutout  in the passenger seat bottom (all driver seats have the cutout)) for the crotch belt, but some have them.

Edited by otisdog

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116403_2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-clocked-at-212-mph

i've never been a huge fan of the Corvette, but this is pretty cool.

The 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 is the most powerful Corvette out of the factory. Naturally, it can go pretty damn fast.

Chevrolet has released video of the car tackling the Papenburg test track in Germany where it was able to clock a 212 mph average between two runs. The final speed is calculated using one run against the wind, and a second run with the wind at the car's rear.

The video provides all the proper evidence showing how fast the ZR1 will go in a flying-mile run. The car's first run produces a 214.88 mph top speed with the wind at its back; the second run produces a 210.2 mph figure. Both are impressive in their own right. For the record, Chevrolet limits the car's speed at 215 mph.

26 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Ford axes most of its passenger vehicles in north america lol

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a20066196/ford-killing-focus-fiesta-north-america-2022/

Pretty big move and I wonder if the other members of the big 3 (namely GM) will follow suit.  This is a huge blow to Lincoln who shares platforms with most of the Ford sedans.  They'll only have the brand new Navigator and the MKX on the showroom floor.

The 2019 Fiesta and Focus looks like they took a big step up in quality, too.  (Admittedly their current standard is very, very low).  

And Ford is a huge seller in UK.  #1 overall.  And on the continent they're #1 non-German seller.  

Used to work with a dude from Michigan.  25 or so years old... single... drove a brand new Taurus.  I get that his family may have ties to the blue oval but what in Gods name compels a young single man with an petroleum engineering salary to purchase a Ford fucking Taurus....

Edited by 52-80

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Used to work with a dude from Michigan.  25 or so years old... single... drove a brand new Taurus.  I get that his family may have ties to the blue oval but what in Gods name compels a young single man with an petroleum engineering salary to purchase a Ford fucking Taurus....

I got one question. Was it a SHO?

5 hours ago, Assman said:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a20066196/ford-killing-focus-fiesta-north-america-2022/

Pretty big move and I wonder if the other members of the big 3 (namely GM) will follow suit.  This is a huge blow to Lincoln who shares platforms with most of the Ford sedans.  They'll only have the brand new Navigator and the MKX on the showroom floor.

I don’t think Lincoln cars are going anywhere. 

On 4/25/2018 at 12:46 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116403_2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-clocked-at-212-mph

i've never been a huge fan of the Corvette, but this is pretty cool.

The 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 is the most powerful Corvette out of the factory. Naturally, it can go pretty damn fast.

Chevrolet has released video of the car tackling the Papenburg test track in Germany where it was able to clock a 212 mph average between two runs. The final speed is calculated using one run against the wind, and a second run with the wind at the car's rear.

The video provides all the proper evidence showing how fast the ZR1 will go in a flying-mile run. The car's first run produces a 214.88 mph top speed with the wind at its back; the second run produces a 210.2 mph figure. Both are impressive in their own right. For the record, Chevrolet limits the car's speed at 215 mph.

Limited at 215?  Holy fuck. How fast is that thing without the limiter?

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, Assman said:

Cross posting this from the Germany thread since I figured out how to post pics.

Got the opportunity to drive a 911 Carrera 4 GTS through the black forest of Germany. When I say this was one of the best experiences of my life, I mean it.c3a6111f2f48d5375b0782c02fb9a5bc.jpg3fe859b17c4cc843a7c8c915d5832fce.jpg996daf957545679b76f1d5e87a29aa5d.jpgeacdcf36adfe6b3b2a2346f79fefcd66.jpgd8f6eb9d868dba86a0dd0ee1e81c5f4e.jpg149e656f905f48d5306c4521d8e58857.jpgc89315f50508e5d5e9f71278b0209e85.jpgab18577f73a16da92b081181273bc3ef.jpg

well freaking done.  The GTS models are my favorite across every vehicle in the lineup.  I have heard they are not planning to make a GTS for the new panamera, and they are not even making a regular S for the newest panamera.  They are only making the SE Hybrid, and a regular 4S.  Apparently the CAFE standards are a big part of the reason.

Been driving like a goddamn saint this week.

Walked out to the car today...kablamo...first fucking rash on the wheels

IMG_20180430_133845.jpg

Yesterday dropped it off for handwash in the mall garage, but doubtful it was them since the parking is spacious and there's no real reason it may have been curbed there

Struck a decent fucking highway pothole on the way home (at night), but it's unlikely that would have caused scratches on the side of the blades 1" away from the lip.  Unless I hit the hole on it's edge

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Of course you understand you must race him ASAP. 

I don’t have anything that can hang with this. I’ve got a 2005 911 carerra s that is chipped to about 400hp, but it’s not keeping up with that mustangs. My panamera gts isn’t keeping up either.  Not even close.  On a very twisty track maybe the 911 could hang. Maybe.