The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

I didn't bring it up, but it has been a recurring theme and at times it's annoying.

Also the title of the thread is fucking stupid. Can I complain about that? Do we all of a sudden have rules about what we are and aren't allowed to bitch about on Surly?

I think you pronounce .gif "jiff"

• Like 1

So, now I am confused.  Is this thread for "new cars produced", "new cars new to people", "used cars new to people" or is it the "new" car fanatic thread that replaced the car fanatic thread on the old site?  Or, all the above or combination of the above. My head hurts.    

Oh, and, cause Porsche.  :)  

What happens when the Tesla batteries inevitably fail out of warranty? Is the car totaled? That’s essentially what happened to a coworker with a barely out of warranty Prius.

For that reason and the general uncertainty of Tesla/Musk I think I’d lease if I really wanted one.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

What happens when the Tesla batteries inevitably fail out of warranty? Is the car totaled? That’s essentially what happened to a coworker with a barely out of warranty Prius.

For that reason and the general uncertainty of Tesla/Musk I think I’d lease if I really wanted one.

Replacement battery pack cost 8k or so, supposedly

Happened to our hybrid too. Fuck em.

Replacement battery pack cost 8k or so, supposedly

Plenty of data to show the batteries are extremely reliable. I wouldn’t worry about falling out of warranty but if you buy ... ahem a new one... you get a great warranty, better than the used one which if CPU is 4 years. Tesla basically has designed their warranty so the battery replacement is essentially a non issue for the owner.

Barely out of battery warranty is 8/100k. So it's not like it was a new car.

Dealer replacement is $4k or so. Rebuilt batteries can be $1000 installed. If that Prius were in otherwise good condition it had its battery replaced.

Saw one of these black label Lincoln Continentals on the road, and it is quite a striking car, if you're into this rolls royce-aping luxury style.  Honestly looked great.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

While we're off topic, anyone find how disgusting it is to drive in Houston?  Saw people blatantly and deliberately run red lights every 10 minutes.  Drivers surging on the freeway like theyve got sputtering engines.  People darting into lanes like theyre playing frogger.  People blocking intersections.  A couple of close-misses because of people turning in and out of said intersections.  Potholes everywhere the size of craters.  Just total ass experience.

If I were king, like 80% of these folks on the road wouldn't be licensed.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

While we're off topic, anyone find how disgusting it is to drive in Houston?  Saw people blatantly and deliberately run red lights every 10 minutes.  Drivers surging on the freeway like theyve got sputtering engines.  People darting into lanes like theyre playing frogger.  People blocking intersections.  A couple of close-misses because of people turning in and out of said intersections.  Potholes everywhere the size of craters.  Just total ass experience.

If I were king, like 80% of these folks on the road wouldn't be licensed.

is it your first time here?

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Seeing the same kind of thing in Austin, at least in my area. Some shitstain hit-and-runned me in a parking lot on Sunday. Seems like in the last year, we've reached some kind of critical threshold where basic rules of the road don't apply anymore. I predict a market for Mad Max-style car modifications in the near future.

34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I believe I have a slot with no mark up!  Will know later today.  Good call though - will post there as well.  Built one on the configurator last night, have been drooling ever since.  

I reached out to my guy here and they have an allocation at MSRP. DM me if you need it.  

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Has anyone driven an electric on icy or slick roads?  Is it easy to manage the torque to avoid spinning wheels/is there a functional traction control?

In theory it has superior traction control because computers have more direct control to the motor and it's torque output.  Less latency and finer granularity.

In practice it has 2 issues which is that the diff is fully open, and also the car is rear biased and the rear-front torque split isn't gradual or smooth in ultra low grip situation. 

In 98% of winter driving it's fine.  In some ice situation, I think it's inferior to a Subaru or Volvo or something else of that class.  I had a small incident where I needed to be bailed out by a dude in a Volvo.

Just a matter of software implementation.  If only they program in some sort of AWD-lock mode.

Some car and driver updates on real world testing on the taycan v Tesla. 

Porsche Taycan

versus Tesla Model S Performance (Raven)

results from Car And Driver:

• Rollout, 1 ft: 0.2 sec; 0.2 sec
  • 60 mph: 2.4 sec; 2.5 sec
  • 100 mph: 6.0 sec; 6.4 sec
  • 130 mph: 10.5 sec; 11.9 sec
  • 150 mph: 15.2 sec; 18.5 sec
  • Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 2.9 sec; 2.8 sec
  • Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.1 sec; 1.1 sec
  • Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.6 sec; 1.6 sec
  • ¼-mile: 10.5 sec @ 130 mph; 10.7 sec @ 125 mph
  • Top speed (mfr’s claim): 162 mph; 163 mph
  • Braking, 70–0 mph: 155 ft; 156 ft
  • Braking, 100–0 mph: 306 ft; 313 ft
  • Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.99 g; 0.92 g
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:11 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Skiing behind racecars. Lots of good pictures at the link. 

TRIGGER WARNING: pictures contain many Porsches of various eras, so whoever it was that got all sensitive about Porsches the other day, you've been warned. 

no one got sensitive about porsche. 

Porsche Taycan

The real difference was after repeated runs. The Tesla slowed way down, the Porsche did not.
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:16 PM, Atxracer said:

I reached out to my guy here and they have an allocation at MSRP. DM me if you need it.  

Public thanks to Atxracer.  Traveling so been bit out of touch but his guy is as good as anyone in a race to see who can deliver fastest on the Taycan Turbo S.  Gonna go drive one to be sure but seems like a clear cut winnah.  This place has it all.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

Porsche Taycan

The real difference was after repeated runs. The Tesla slowed way down, the Porsche did not.

Huge difference there...repeated runs and the taycan really separates itself.  All the comparo's I've seen give the Tesla the edge based only on price/value.  Not one pundit I've seen thought it was the better car.  To me the emotion the tesla elicits is straight up naptime compared to the Porsche.  Luckily the lady agrees.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Public thanks to Atxracer.  Traveling so been bit out of touch but his guy is as good as anyone in a race to see who can deliver fastest on the Taycan Turbo S.  Gonna go drive one to be sure but seems like a clear cut winnah.  This place has it all.  

No problem at all. Hope it works out and hit me up if you take delivery here.  

on a related note:  

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Huge difference there...repeated runs and the taycan really separates itself.  All the comparo's I've seen give the Tesla the edge based only on price/value.  Not one pundit I've seen thought it was the better car.  To me the emotion the tesla elicits is straight up naptime compared to the Porsche.  Luckily the lady agrees.  

did anyone ever actually think tesla was going to manufacture a better overall machine than Porsche?  I mean, c'mon man.  Interesting that in real world driving conditions the mileage on the Taycan is considerable better than advertised as well.  Hell 278 miles is better than I get from a tank (24 gallons)in my Panamera GTS.  

• Like 2

did anyone ever actually think tesla was going to manufacture a better overall machine than Porsche?  I mean, c'mon man.  Interesting that in real world driving conditions the mileage on the Taycan is considerable better than advertised as well.  Hell 278 miles is better than I get from a tank (24 gallons)in my Panamera GTS.  
I think the Tesla fanboys probably expected it. But Porsche had always been conservative with their performance figures. No surprise they outperformed again.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, troph said:

Lincoln makes attractive looking cars. Have for a while now.

Gives me cover to add this quip from a review, since I'm not aware of a thread for actual new cars/SUVs.

"Well if you're not rolling boogers like Matthew McConaughey in this, you might want to actually use the storage space."

Edited by clapclapclap
Savagegeese = great reviews

Unfortunately, the new Ford SUVs, to include the Lincolns, are riddled with errors.  Next year, maybe.

The Grand Cherokees are nice, but seem really small on the interior compared to the exterior.  Good off-road machines by most accounts.

Edited by TwiceHorn