The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

33 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Is there anything more infuriating than discovering new rim rash?  Motherfuck of a bitch.

That's one thing about buying 1-2 years old.  It is still in really nice shape but usually has just enough hickeys to keep you from getting destroyed when it picks up the next few.  Still sucks, though.

When I got my latest, they offered (not Jerry Lundegaarded) a wheel and rim protection package for $1400.  I did not take it. They'll insure everything these days.

Speaking of which, what do we think of run-flats and what is the practical solution to not using them?  Floor jack?  Fixaflat?  Some combination?

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's one thing about buying 1-2 years old.  It is still in really nice shape but usually has just enough hickeys to keep you from getting destroyed when it picks up the next few.  Still sucks, though.

When I got my latest, they offered (not Jerry Lundegaarded) a wheel and rim protection package for $1400.  I did not take it. They'll insure everything these days.

Speaking of which, what do we think of run-flats and what is the practical solution to not using them?  Floor jack?  Fixaflat?  Some combination?

I don't like runflat out of principle. 

Current car has standard tires, but no spare.  Carry a fixaflat can along with tire worm kit. 

So small punctures the fixaflat should work.  Large punctures I can attempt a repair and get some inflation from the can.  And then both the car and the insurance provide roadside assistance, so I've got multiple layers of protection

My main problem with flats over the years seems to be coming out from work or home and finding tire flat.  Otherwise, it's discovery of a fairly slow leak or a quarter "melded" to my tire, which sometimes ends up in the same place, but usually gets dealt with before it gets there.

I don't think I have ever attempted use of fixaflat.  By tire worms, you mean the kind of "bacon strip" plugs?

I think I will take a flyer on non-run-flats when it's time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My main problem with flats over the years seems to be coming out from work or home and finding tire flat.  Otherwise, it's discovery of a fairly slow leak or a quarter "melded" to my tire, which sometimes ends up in the same place, but usually gets dealt with before it gets there.

I don't think I have ever attempted use of fixaflat.  By tire worms, you mean the kind of "bacon strip" plugs?

I think I will take a flyer on non-run-flats when it's time.

Yeah, the bacon strip plugs kit that sells for $5.  Knock on wood - ive never had to use either, as never suffered puncture on the road.  Just once discovered a slow leak from a screw embedded in the tire.

The runflat isnt puncture-proof.  So it doesnt alleviate needing repairs or whatever.  It just has internal structure to allow you to drive a limited distance at a limited speed.  I'd rather have more tire choices and potentially a softer ride, at the 1/100000 risk of needing to use fixaflat

I guess if I didn’t have a spare, I’d probably have a plug kit and chance it as well. Do you get a jack and wrench on cars that don’t hav a spare?

plug wouldn’t have helped me the one time I’ve needed to change tires roadside though, broken beer bottle slashed the sidewall in a parking lot. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess if I didn’t have a spare, I’d probably have a plug kit and chance it as well. Do you get a jack and wrench on cars that don’t hav a spare?

plug wouldn’t have helped me the one time I’ve needed to change tires roadside though, broken beer bottle slashed the sidewall in a parking lot. 

I think most cars with OEM run-flats have bupkis.  No spare, no jack, no wrench.  Mine has none of the above.

Which is why I asked about alternatives to run-flats.  Like if someone made a compact aftermarket jack or some solution I had not thought of.

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think most cars with OEM run-flats have bupkis.  No spare, no jack, no wrench.  Mine has none of the above.

Which is why I asked about alternatives to run-flats.  Like if someone made a compact aftermarket jack or some solution I had not thought of.

Depending on what car you have this may not work. I bought the entire spare tire kit (donut, jack, tire tool etc and the foam holder) from a different trim model that had it standard. My car had the fix a flat pump and sealant and not run flats, however. Fits into the same space. 

That Ticket Clinic sticker is really tempting fate. And any LEO that pulls him over. 

Should have put that one on the front passenger-side corner where it's less likely to be seen. 

Probably won't make a difference in more than one or two encounters out of a hundred, but if you're already playing the odds, might as well do everything possible to maximize them in your favor... 

I feel like Ed should know better. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

23 hours ago, elfenix said:

GM launches electric car - hatch - uv for $23,000, but you can't buy it.

https://electrek.co/2020/02/24/gm-menlo-electric-car-range-price/

It's like they're trying to fuck themselves over by selling the hideous bolt instead of this, which hits the hottest segment in the market.8873c71981e9c7763c68306f15e549f5.jpg

man fuck GM

30 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

last lambo I drove certainly lived up to it's heritage as a tractor producer.  least exciting exotic car I have ever driven, and I really wanted to love it.  

It only has to make it to the vallet drop off upfront and home again... what more could you want?

On 2/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, elfenix said:

GM launches electric car - hatch - uv for $23,000, but you can't buy it.

https://electrek.co/2020/02/24/gm-menlo-electric-car-range-price/

It's like they're trying to fuck themselves over by selling the hideous bolt instead of this, which hits the hottest segment in the market.8873c71981e9c7763c68306f15e549f5.jpg

I don't know if this is a real car or just an artist's rendering but I really like it. So dumb that they won't offer it in the US.

7 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

last lambo I drove certainly lived up to it's heritage as a tractor producer.  least exciting exotic car I have ever driven, and I really wanted to love it.  

So, I am not a lambo fan at all.  I was under the impression they were all show and no go.  But, surprisingly, I actually liked the Huracan on the track.  It had great grip, acceleration and braking. With that said, I still won't buy one.  

there was a 70s-80s air cooled (white, green lower stripe with green wheels, not sure if original or not) parked next to a genesis coupe at the office this morning.  amazing how much bigger that genesis coupe was, and it's not a big car. 

Edited by elfenix

31 minutes ago, elfenix said:

there was a 70s-80s air cooled (white, green lower stripe with green wheels, not sure if original or not) parked next to a genesis coupe at the office this morning.  amazing how much bigger that genesis coupe was, and it's not a big car. 

it's amazing how much bigger my 997 is than those old 964's, and the new 992 is about as much bigger than my 997 as the 997 is to the 964.  Just a remarkable growth spurt on these cars.  It's easy to comprehend the growth from 1980-2005.  It hard to process who much bigger a 2020 model is over a 2005 model.