The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

7 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

No lie. I set the trip computer when I left the house.

I saw on one of the shows on MotorTrend TV, or online an interview with someone from one of the major manufacturers, that right now the 2.0T is the sweet spot as far as power, emissions and mpg. Pretty much everyone has a 2.0T.

Yeah, they're everywhere in everything.  My car dips below 30 mpg with a lot of local driving, goes right back up over 30 as soon as I hit the freeway.  That's pretty nice.  Especially considering I have to use premium.

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Have to vent real quick. I’m watching this fox show prodigal son. One of the characters announces loudly that he drives a vintage Porsche. Next scene he speeds off in a 928. I’m befuddled. Network tv, man. 

A 944 would’ve been better.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Solid investment is what I’m reading

Or COVID kills >10% of males over 65 and the market is flooded with their collector cars, while we're in Great Recession II, and it loses half its value.

Longterm, what is the value of ICE classic cars when a Tesla Model 3 can out perform them?  When the Boomers are gone are these going to coveted or unwanted relics?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

19 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Or COVID kills >10% of males over 65 and the market is flooded with their collector cars, while we're in Great Recession II, and it loses half its value.

Longterm, what is the value of ICE classic cars when a Tesla Model 3 can out perform them?  When the Boomers are gone are these going to coveted or unwanted relics?

Bozo, I think, said it upthread.

A $15 digital watch keeps better time than a Rolex.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

nobody buys vintage cars because they're faster.  they buy them because they're nostalgic.  when the boomers are gone, they'll be replaced with new 60 year olds who want the cars they coveted when they were young. 

hell, i drive a model 3 and i kinda browse the classified for a 2000 prelude or integra gsr or something like that.  i can imagine they'll pick up in value 10, 20 years from now

On 3/21/2020 at 5:48 AM, 52-80 said:

hell, i drive a model 3 and i kinda browse the classified for a 2000 prelude or integra gsr or something like that.  i can imagine they'll pick up in value 10, 20 years from now

Yeah, they picked up some value:

https://hypebeast.com/2019/10/1997-acura-integra-type-r-bring-a-trailer-auction

On 3/20/2020 at 3:23 PM, tbone_ said:

Except that they are awesome.

So is heated seats, wifi, hands free calls, videos, navigation and standard rear view cameras.  I enjoy looking at classic cars but it's so much more fun driving a comfortable car with all of the bells and whistles.  My brother in law restores classic cars and no thanks--have taken the 70 nova, 62 spitfire, and 66 mustang and just no.  Great second car for trips around town.  

• Like 1

I still love the look of the NB.   Small, fun, cheap, & reliable  (with huge enthusiast community)  If I lived somewhere with winding roads I would have one.
I expected the Fiat version to look fanastic...  I don't care for it at all. 

aa53a71a6665b1a8c60c331dce46ac7f.jpg
ea3a118ced396e03f8afedefabedbfae.jpg
Yup. My “fun” car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I still love the look of the NB.   Small, fun, cheap, & reliable  (with huge enthusiast community)  If I lived somewhere with winding roads I would have one.

ea3a118ced396e03f8afedefabedbfae.jpg
Yup. My “fun” car.

4 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

Yup. My “fun” car.

Upgrade to a BB turbo, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, Hydra (or other stand alone ecu), bigger rotors, lighter wheels, wider rubber, swaybars, and dial up the boost to 15...  Drives like stock below 3200 rpm and melts tires above it.   My old Fun car. 2005 TI  =>  250bhp in a 2,500lb go kart  I hope your self control > my self control.  Sold 2 years latter, like I said not many good roads around me.

• Like 2

So is heated seats, wifi, hands free calls, videos, navigation and standard rear view cameras.  I enjoy looking at classic cars but it's so much more fun driving a comfortable car with all of the bells and whistles.  My brother in law restores classic cars and no thanks--have taken the 70 nova, 62 spitfire, and 66 mustang and just no.  Great second car for trips around town.  

Of course. No one drives them daily anymore. Total beating for that. Still awesome though.

• Like 2

Upgrade to a BB turbo, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, Hydra (or other stand alone ecu), bigger rotors, lighter wheels, wider rubber, swaybars, and dial up the boost to 15...  Drives like stock below 3200 rpm and melts tires above it.   My old Fun car. 2005 TI  =>  250bhp in a 2,500lb go kart  I hope your self control > my self control.  Sold 2 years latter, like I said not many good roads around me.

Sweet setup. So far I’ve been able to resist plunging down that rabbit hole. Just an FM intake and Turbosmart.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:05 PM, Loco said:

everyone loves the sound.  and the side profile and proportions are spot-on, as is the rear.  just that the front end doesnt work , even if its vintage-inspired

19 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

spacer.png

S5, yes it is mine. That first photo is from the auction, this is probably the first week I had it. I still get slightly aroused walking up to it everyday. 

Glacier Audis all up in hurr (mine's a S6).  Glad you fixed the wheels, I couldn't locate them in the first pic.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:00 PM, Chewbacca said:

Fucking imgur.  How do you get pics to show from there?

imgur.com/a/Chcq62x

you don't and it hasn't worked since about the first week this place opened.  we went from nothing to some noticeable share of their traffic in no time at all, so we got flagged.  to get unflagged we could kiss sarah's ass.

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

you don't and it hasn't worked since about the first week this place opened.  we went from nothing to some noticeable share of their traffic in no time at all, so we got flagged.

Is it traffic or the fact that we have a for-sale forum?  They're pretty obsessive about not allowing hotlinking to anyplace even arguably or a little bit commercial in terms of selling things.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is it traffic or the fact that we have a for-sale forum?  They're pretty obsessive about not allowing hotlinking to anyplace even arguably or a little bit commercial in terms of selling things.

we've always had a sales forum and it wasn't a problem on the other site.  they're just using it as an excuse to keep us flagged.  there's all sorts of shit for sale  on reddit and they haven't banned it.  damn near every message board has on the internet has a buy/sell/trade section, how many of those are banned by imgur?

edit: who made the wooden logos?  i bet an imguraffe sent to their offices for sarah with an explanation that we'd moved here suddenly would get us unblocked. 

Edited by elfenix

On 3/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mdhorn said:

I get that about modern cars but one of the reasons I enjoy my older cars is that they have none of that. I’m not bothered while driving. No calls, it’s just time to disconnect from everything and take a drive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I get that about modern cars but one of the reasons I enjoy my older cars is that they have none of that. I’m not bothered while driving. No calls, it’s just time to disconnect from everything and take a drive.

Yeah, I like that stuff, but I'm pretty sure I could live without it. I would like some more supportive seats than what you tend to find in vintage/classic cars.

And, despite being something of an enthusiast, getting good mileage is gruntling.

One thing that I don't miss about older cars is the piston a/c compressor.  Those were like a reverse turbo.  Do any restomods use a rotary compressor?

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

My last two car purchases, an A5/S5 was on the menu.  Still nervous about Audi used, even gently with warranty left.  But, there were so few true coupes available, much less low-mileage with warranty left, that it never became much of an option.

Mine is an 2018 with 20k miles and a warranty until 2022. This is my second Audi and honestly never had a single problem with them. Now, I wouldnt want a 10 year old audi but I would assume they are great until maybe year 6 or so in my experience. 

What year is your S5? How many miles?