The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s a 2012 A6 3.0 Prestige I’ve had for five years now. The B&O has the speakers that rise up out of the dash.

4e6e09f917b1f5fad16e233e163ae404.jpg

That thing looks to be in great condition, but whats with the see through windows? No privacy? I didn't realize the models then had a rise out of the dash deal. I will try to google it but if not I'm going to need you to send me a video.

4 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

Mine is an 2018 with 20k miles and a warranty until 2022. This is my second Audi and honestly never had a single problem with them. Now, I wouldnt want a 10 year old audi but I would assume they are great until maybe year 6 or so in my experience. 

What year is your S5? How many miles?

My '17 Cadillac ATS has 19k on the clock and a year left of bumper-to-bumper and two more after that of CPO.

The issue really is that I tend to buy two years old, with under 30k (preferably under 20), and drive a car 7 or 8 years until about 100k is on the clock.  Not sure that's superfeasible with a krautwagen.

Caddy has somewhat shitty reliability ratings (a lot of which has to do with the buyers, I think).  But I have been driving one since 2012 and the only repair was a water pump at 80k.  And they are great bargains at the 1-2-3 year old gently used price points.  Great chassis, good to great drivetrain, possibly subpar interior, but that's an easy compromise to save $10-15k.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

My '17 Cadillac ATS has 19k on the clock and a year left of bumper-to-bumper and two more after that of CPO.

The issue really is that I tend to buy two years old, with under 30k (preferably under 20), and drive a car 7 or 8 years until about 100k is on the clock.  Not sure that's superfeasible with a krautwagen.

Caddy has somewhat shitty reliability ratings.  But I have been driving one since 2012 and the only repair was a water pump at 80k.  And they are great bargains at the 1-2-3 year old gently used price points.

I understand as far as porsche and bmw, but I feel like Audi is more VW than the former. I could be wrong. I have not had to do a single repair on either Audi I have owned. Im not even a year into this second one however. 

5 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

I understand as far as porsche and bmw, but I feel like Audi is more VW than the former. I could be wrong. I have not had to do a single repair on either Audi I have owned. Im not even a year into this second one however. 

Who knows.  It's a lot of prejudice and superstition.  Based in large part on outdated, isolated horror stories.

Both times I was in the market, late 11-early 12 and then late 19-early 20, I was looking at an "executive coupe."  Even though it's virtually unchanged over that timespan, I dug the A5 quite a bit both times.  I wanted a V6 in 11 and those were hard to find and kind of spendy, no choice in 19 (other than S5), and just couldn't find one even to test drive (a couple with higher mileage than I wanted so I didn't even tempt myself with driving cars I wouldn't actually buy).

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Who knows.  It's a lot of prejudice and superstition.  Based in large part on outdated, isolated horror stories.

Both times I was in the market, late 11-early 12 and then late 19-early 20, I was looking at an "executive coupe."  Even though it's virtually unchanged over that timespan, I dug the A5 quite a bit both times.  I wanted a V6 in 11 and those were hard to find and kind of spendy, no choice in 19 (other than S5), and just couldn't find one even to test drive (a couple with higher mileage than I wanted so I didn't even tempt myself with driving cars I wouldn't actually buy).

So what did you go with? What engine did the 11 A5 have? Did you go with an Audi either time?

No, 2011 Caddy CTS Coupe, 3.6V6 and 2017 ATS Coupe, 2.0T4,

In 11, I was looking at like 08-10 A5s, when you could get a V6, 3.2LNA, IIRC.  This time around, I was willing to bite the turbo 4 bullet, although I have to admit the 275/300 of the ATS was alluring.  I think the A5 is a hair quicker.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s a 2012 A6 3.0 Prestige I’ve had for five years now. The B&O has the speakers that rise up out of the dash.

4e6e09f917b1f5fad16e233e163ae404.jpg

I have the same B&O option in my S6 and it's the best damn sounding audio system I've heard in any car.  Replaced the factory sub driver for an Audison APS 8 and it's near perfect.

• Like 1

you read this stupid shit?

ferrari wants to make an SUV called purosangue -- which is already ridiculous enough as it means pure blood -- but to use the name they want to sue a fucking charity for the rights to the name

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/03/ferrari-purosange-lawsuit/

ferrari the company is so detestable

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

Audi's reliability reputation experienced a massive improvement in the early-2000s with the B8 A4/A5/Q5 models and C7 A6 when powertrains were refreshed.  Everything got the ZF8HP transmission and the 3.2L V6 was substituted for the reliable and powerful 3.0 supercharged V6.  The 1.8L VW-corporate turbo 4 was replaced with the 2.0L turbo 4 and the portfolio thrived with few changes over the last 8-10 years. 

On the high end, the 4.0 twin turbo V8 in my S6 has been plagued with premature turbocharger failure, some of which can be mitigated by oil screen replacement.  To me, it's all the better excuse to upgrade to billet RS6/RS7 turbos.  That was a Bentley-derived 4.0 that has has recently been replaced for the new RS6, RS7 and RSQ8.

Now the Audi RS portfolio gets its powertrains straight from Porsche.  The RS 2.9L turbo V6 is a Porsche catalog item as is the new 4.0L turbo V8. The new 3.0L turbo V6 in the S models was an Audi-Porsche collaborative design. 4-cylinder models remain VW-Audi corporate parts.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Audi's reliability reputation experienced a massive improvement in the early-2000s with the B8 A4/A5/Q5 models and C7 A6 when powertrains were refreshed.  Everything got the ZF8HP transmission and the 3.2L V6 was substituted for the reliable and powerful 3.0 supercharged V6.  The 1.8L VW-corporate turbo 4 was replaced with the 2.0L turbo 4 and the portfolio thrived with few changes over the last 8-10 years. 

On the high end, the 4.0 twin turbo V8 in my S6 has been plagued with premature turbocharger failure, some of which can be mitigated by oil screen replacement.  To me, it's all the better excuse to upgrade to billet RS6/RS7 turbos.  That was a Bentley-derived 4.0 that has has recently been replaced for the new RS6, RS7 and RSQ8.

Now the Audi RS portfolio gets its powertrains straight from Porsche.  The RS 2.9L turbo V6 is a Porsche catalog item as is the new 4.0L turbo V8. The new 3.0L turbo V6 in the S models was an Audi-Porsche collaborative design. 4-cylinder models remain VW-Audi corporate parts.

Yeah, although data is elusive, I sense that Audi has improved substantially.  But those historical gremlins are still a bit daunting.  And, oddly enough, while Audi is lauded for its interiors, I like the dashes, but dislike the consoles and seats.  Personal thing.

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, although data is elusive, I sense that Audi has improved substantially.  But those historical gremlins are still a bit daunting.  And, oddly enough, while Audi is lauded for its interiors, I like the dashes, but dislike the consoles and seats.  Personal thing.

I'll have to upload some more pics today. In 2018, Audi did a complete redesign and focused on making the interiors more luxurious.

Before I bought my car last August, I was comparing BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc basically 2/4 door sports cars and the one thing that really stuck out to me about Audi is the interior styling. Some of the M3's and cars I looked at, youre paying for the namer and the engine but the interiors looks like a camry. 

The S5 has the heads up disply, massive Ipad like Nav system (think tesla), quilted red seats that heat and cool, and its just as beautiful inside as out.spacer.png

Edited by TexanTraveling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

I'll have to upload some more pics today. In 2018, Audi did a complete redesign and focused on making the interiors more luxurious.

Before I bought my car last August, I was comparing BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc basically 2/4 door sports cars and the one thing that really stuck out to me about Audi is the interior styling. Some of the M3's and cars I looked at, youre paying for the namer and the engine but the interiors looks like a camry. 

The S5 has the heads up disply, massive Ipad like Nav system (think tesla), quilted red seats that heat and cool, and its just as beautiful inside as out.spacer.png

Yeah, that's nice.  I don't love the quilted/diamond pattern that's become common.  Better than the standard A5.  Of course, I was eyeballing older ones, like 16-18.  The T handled shifter kind of irks me too.  Their dash layout is excellent across the board, though.

Also, I have never tried to live with one, but the panel sticking out of the dash that all krautwagens seem to have, bugs me.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have owned 2 Audis in my life.  A 2001 A4 and my current 2016 S6.  The S6 is night and day better and more reliable than the A4.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I have owned 2 Audis in my life.  A 2001 A4 and my current 2016 S6.  The S6 is night and day better and more reliable than the A4.  

Yeah, Gravy Train's post seems to summarize a lot of the developments that improved things.  Ironically, if I had found a 3.2V6 A5 in 2011, I might have regretted it.

That thing looks to be in great condition, but whats with the see through windows? No privacy? I didn't realize the models then had a rise out of the dash deal. I will try to google it but if not I'm going to need you to send me a video.

I don’t really care about tinted windows, and I’m also cheap.

My neighbor started his own Top Gear esque Youtube series with a couple friends, and it’s not bad:

I have the same B&O option in my S6 and it's the best damn sounding audio system I've heard in any car.  Replaced the factory sub driver for an Audison APS 8 and it's near perfect.

My favorite “check this out” track to crank is Money For Nothin’ from 1:10 to 2:00. Sounds like Mark Knopfler is sitting in the back seat.

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Ed could probably put the Cannonball record permanently out of reach for anyone else (or end up dying of the 'Rona in a small-town Kansas jail...) if he made another dash here in the next few weeks. 

Traffic might slow you down, but it also helps you blend in.  With no one else on the road, I think they would stand out a little more.  

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Got the SVJ back from Miami this afternoon.  The only good thing about this shit is some wide open roads to tear up.  The cops have pretty much just waved so far.  

Where did you go? 

I think that I may go out and burn off a tank full of fuel stabilizer when it gets nicer later this week, but haven't been out of the neighborhood in weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Where did you go? 

I think that I may go out and burn off a tank full of fuel stabilizer when it gets nicer later this week, but haven't been out of the neighborhood in weeks. 

Picked it up off the McLaren dealer who had some rides dropped off with mine.  Off Randolph and 90/94.  Then took it up highway to Ohare area...back and then up lake shore drive and back down.  Couple cops in gold coast as I was getting on lake shore... just stopped and BS'd a few minutes, and asked them if it was ok to get on it a little bit up Lake Shore, they said be careful and enjoy.  I'm wondering how that story would fly if I got pulled over by another officer ...

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Right on. 

I'm curious how heavily patrolled the interstates are right now, and how conspicuous a profligate speeder is against an empty backdrop. I feel like it's either going to be much easier or much more difficult to talk my way out of a ticket right now, and have no idea which way the cookie will crumble... 

"Where you going so fast, boy?" 

"Well officer, I've had this car in storage all winter and am trying to get rid of the fuel stabilizer remaining in the tank, so I thought I'd see whether I could drive from O'Hare to Rockford and back in 90 minutes or less..." 

27 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Right on. 

I'm curious how heavily patrolled the interstates are right now, and how conspicuous a profligate speeder is against an empty backdrop. I feel like it's either going to be much easier or much more difficult to talk my way out of a ticket right now, and have no idea which way the cookie will crumble... 

"Where you going so fast, boy?" 

"Well officer, I've had this car in storage all winter and am trying to get rid of the fuel stabilizer remaining in the tank, so I thought I'd see whether I could drive from O'Hare to Rockford and back in 90 minutes or less..." 

Ha, if you want to shoot me a PM I know a IL highway patrol guy's name you could likely drop to at least have the ticket lowered below 90.  It's worked a couple times and I don't abuse it but have given the contact to a couple of my buddies as a just in case...

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:12 PM, Buzzrock said:

My favorite “check this out” track to crank is Money For Nothin’ from 1:10 to 2:00. Sounds like Mark Knopfler is sitting in the back seat.

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I always liked NIN Closer for this

Tom Petty used to engineer albums so that the songs sounded good in the car.  It was something they did before releasing.

• Like 2

This looks like the bargain of the century. These things are great fun. 

A good friend of mine had one of these (maybe not this rarer spec - who knows...) back in high school. She ended up rolling it countless times when the country road she was flying down at speed unexpectedly transitioned from paved to gravel. She and her 6'3" boyfriend sitting shotgun were both hospitalized but ultimately fine. 

We all learned a few important lessons that day. 

• Like 1

That's a great topic to propose:  Let's say you have extra room in the garage for a weekend cruiser.  You get to choose one car to bring home as a nostalgia interest, but the catch is it must fit into a High School-nostalgia story.  What's your choice?

I had a '89 Mustang GT in my Jr and Sr years, so the Fox body is out.  As a fun, obnoxious, too-loud, "fuck you" car, I want a '92 LX coupe in Calypso Green with a 5.2L Voodoo Aluminator XS crate swap and Griggs-all-the-things.  Something like this:

BiKabsNCEAAtMED.jpg

I lusted after the FD RX-7 at that time and it was far too expensive for anything I could afford or even hope to buy into college.  A co-worker owned a '95 model, at the time I was a senior working in an office for a school co-op program.  I probably knew just as much about the car as he did, but I never got to drive it.  My choice is a Montego Blue RX-7 Touring.

dsUwuYqh.jpg

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/bring-a-trailer-rx7-sells-for-world-record-amount/

14 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

You get to choose one car to bring home as a nostalgia interest, but the catch is it must fit into a High School-nostalgia story.  What's your choice?

Early 80's Toyota pickup with the white, orange, red and blue paint job.

16 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

That's a great topic to propose:  Let's say you have extra room in the garage for a weekend cruiser.  You get to choose one car to bring home as a nostalgia interest, but the catch is it must fit into a High School-nostalgia story.  What's your choice?

13581397-1968-international-travelall-st

lol fit in a garage

• Like 4

12c1819fe0b23fc744c690c240931362.jpg

When I was in junior high, a high schooler had a white one. He was a complete dick. One day he rolled down the window to berate us as he rolled by and he sideswiped a truck parked on the street.
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, Gravy Train said:

My van.

IMG-0401.jpg

• Like 4