The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

My primary tires are 215/45-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 

If all four of my tires needed 3-5 lbs. of air, I'd estimate that the job would require as much as 10 entire minutes from unpacking the pump to putting it back in my trunk. 

If that's unacceptably slow (or if you're actually Dennis Anderson and your primary vehicle is Grave Digger) then maybe we're having separate discussions. 

Ok I just joined (sorta) the club.  Sold my 2010 Xterra and got a 2019 640i CPO.  Kept watching  the price drop and finally jumped last week.

What an awesome car.  I've never been a car guy, but this one has converted me.  I looked at 4runners and LCs first and just didn't feel it with an SUV.  Wanted a car, but the 5 series doesn't have enough room and the 7 series is just a little too old man for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ok I just joined (sorta) the club.  Sold my 2010 Xterra and got a 2019 640i CPO.  Kept watching  the price drop and finally jumped last week.
What an awesome car.  I've never been a car guy, but this one has converted me.  I looked at 4runners and LCs first and just didn't feel it with an SUV.  Wanted a car, but the 5 series doesn't have enough room and the 7 series is just a little too old man for me.
I hate to be the one to tell you, but the 6 series is the old man's Bimmer.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Well then I'm an old man.  It's not the GC, which is a nice car but didn't work for me at all, but the GT which is just slightly less chunky than the X6.  And I won't call it a Bimmer because none of my family in Germany ever called them anything but BMW.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
15 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Read more  

Wait, I thought the 6 was now the 5, because the 7 became the 8, the 3 became the 4 and the 2, the 2 became the 1, and the 5 became both the 7 and X6? 

And engine size designations are now just randomly generated integers? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2

What's the deal with gran coupes anyway?  I kind of liked the CL class (was that what it was from M-B?), and the A7 is kind of nice after you get used to it.

But it seems to have gone way too far.  Give third and fourth doors to a coupe, take away space and headroom with the roofline  . . .  all for a look.  Just stick with the freakin two-doors instead of this faux practicality.

Talk about an answer to a question no one was asking.

21 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Wait, I thought the 6 was now the 5, because the 7 became the 8, the 3 became the 4 and the 2, the 2 became the 1, and the 5 became both the 7 and X6? 

And engine size designations are now just randomly generated integers? 

Guy moved in a couple houses down with a bimmer that on the left side of the lift gate says x3 but the right side says m4something. Do I need an enigma device to know which body and motor this machine is?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Back on the wax thing.  It has been six weeks since I applied the Collinite 845.  Maybe 2 handwashes and one machine at the dealership.  It is still beading water like crazy.  Worse/better than any wax I can recall.  Doing a handwash is now officially kind of a pain because it holds so much water after rinsing.

I am impressed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Guy moved in a couple houses down with a bimmer that on the left side of the lift gate says x3 but the right side says m4something. Do I need an enigma device to know which body and motor this machine is?

Yeah, they sure went from one of the most logical and informative naming conventions to just as bad as everyone else.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And let's not forget all the baffling M/M-Sport/M-adjacent permutations. 

Yeah, this all part of whatever this is.  That X3 is like M40i or some shit. I have no idea what all it means other than its a way for BMW to get a lot of money from rubes. I actually had one of these X3s try and drag me the other day. Also some 50 year old lady with a lapdog in an Audi Q5R or whatever thy are called a few weeks ago. Maximum lulz.

The numbering is extremely confusing to me.  Outside of the 5 and 7 series, I cannot keep track.  In addition to the M2/M3/M5, there's also an M550, and you can get the other series with M trim, but minus the engine.  

Honestly their catalogue is too big right now and confusing as hell.

Their CPO warranty is pretty badass and it needs to be given the price they are charging on extended warranties.  

Fun fact - my car has no spare which kind of freaks me out, but supposedly the run flats are pretty bulletproof.  Nonetheless I bought the tire & wheel insurance package as I suspect if I have a flat I will ruin a wheel with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve had 2 of the small Kobalt chargers.  One strictly 12v and one that’s 12v/120.   They both do ok. Both are slow.  Both will get you out of a jam. Obviously not something you want to make a habit out of but they stow easily.  That said, our vehicles all have full sizes spares and I usually make sure they are up on their air 2x a year or so. 

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

The numbering is extremely confusing to me.  Outside of the 5 and 7 series, I cannot keep track.  In addition to the M2/M3/M5, there's also an M550, and you can get the other series with M trim, but minus the engine.  

Honestly their catalogue is too big right now and confusing as hell.

Pretty simple.  Just think of the number back from when BMW actually made sense, and add about 10 to it.

So 540i was the non-M big boy bad dog...now it's 550i. 

330i was the sweet spot sports sedan, today it's the 340i. 

which means today's 330i was yesterday's 318i 4 cylinder turd, except it's got turbos so you get +2 bonus points.

• Like 1

I think it's kind of a bastard fuck that they made the iconic 3-series, which has been a coupe forever, into the sedan and created the 4-series for the coupe.  And then you have the 4-series Gran Coupe.  So now it's easier to get into and out of the back seat, but has less headroom.  Da fuq.

The second two digits haven't matched the engine displacement for a while, but you did know that the lower number was the smaller engine, at least.

The 6 should have a two-door coupe and so should the 8.  For sporty old dudes like me.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it's kind of a bastard fuck that they made the iconic 3-series, which has been a coupe forever, into the sedan and created the 4-series for the coupe.  And then you have the 4-series Gran Coupe.  So now it's easier to get into and out of the back seat, but has less headroom.  Da fuq.

The second two digits haven't matched the engine displacement for a while, but you did know that the lower number was the smaller engine, at least.

The 6 should have a two-door coupe and so should the 8.  For sporty old dudes like me.

all the people who drive "Gran Coupe", look exactly what i expect people who drive Gran Coupes to look like.

who goes into a dealership and think "i want to buy this car, but in a variant that's simultaneously uglier AND less functional"

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

all the people who drive "Gran Coupe", look exactly what i expect people who drive Gran Coupes to look like.

who goes into a dealership and think "i want to buy this car, but in a variant that's simultaneously uglier AND less functional"

Raises hand.  Not a GC but the more functional ugly cousin.  But I like the way the GT looks, I’m a contrarian.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Because fuck you that’s why

13 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Wife has a 2020 M340i. I don’t care about the names. That car is fun to drive. 395hp. 0-60 in 4.2. Getting groceries on Sunday is a blast.

I checked the specs to make sure it was a 6.  Officially, it's 382hp and 3.8 0-60 for the RWD.  Damned impressive.  What's the back seat like?

As a 50+ old man, I couldn't really consider the 3- or 4- series as lacking gravitas.  Or the A4 for that matter (Audi doesn't make many A5 coupes anymore because of the damned GC concept).  A 6-series coupe would have been el perfecto, but alas.  E400 coupes got a hard look, too.

Of course I wound up getting a similarly sized coupe, but I also paid quite a bit less than 30k for it, CPO with under 20k miles, which was irresistible.  And "Cadillac" is its own form of gravitas.  By most accounts, the ATS platform is as good or better than the 3- or 4-. although it doesn't have that kind of squirt.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I checked the specs to make sure it was a 6.  Officially, it's 382hp and 3.8 0-60 for the RWD.  Damned impressive.  What's the back seat like?
As a 50+ old man, I couldn't really consider the 3- or 4- series as lacking gravitas.  Or the A4 for that matter (Audi doesn't make many A5 coupes anymore because of the damned GC concept).  A 6-series coupe would have been el perfecto, but alas.  E400 coupes got a hard look, too.
Of course I wound up getting a similarly sized coupe, but I also paid quite a bit less than 30k for it, CPO with under 20k miles, which was irresistible.  And "Cadillac" is its own form of gravitas.  By most accounts, the ATS platform is as good or better than the 3- or 4-. although it doesn't have that kind of squirt.

Back seat was not bad. My sons full size car seat was a pain in the ass. We went to a booster and it’s just a little wide.

It’s got a great sound in sport mode and will move. Eco mode does well on conserving gas, but it really does turn it into a slow sedan. Comfort is fine for highway driving. We are really happy with it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Fucking Dallas, man.

I was in the left turn lane, turning into University Park, today and had a G-wagen in front of me and a G-wagen behind me.  I didn't look at all the nice/expensive cars in the other three lanes.  Don't believe either was AMG, but kind of interesting to be bracketed by a quarter million's worth of SUV.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:48 AM, TwiceHorn said:

The 12VDC compressor is a good idea.  I had one that was part of one of those jumpstarters, but it gave up the ghost.  Last time I came out to a flat I used a bicycle pump to air it up.  Lmao.  It worked to get me down the road to Discount.

Any recos on good inflators?  

so long as the tire is still on the rim a bike pump works fine.  for some reason people don't seem to know that. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fucking Dallas, man.

I was in the left turn lane, turning into University Park, today and had a G-wagen in front of me and a G-wagen behind me.  I didn't look at all the nice/expensive cars in the other three lanes.  Don't believe either was AMG, but kind of interesting to be bracketed by a quarter million's worth of SUV.

and one of the drivers was a dan blizerian-wannabe gymbro with the title of "influencer" and the other was a 50 something fake blonde estate agent

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

so long as the tire is still on the rim a bike pump works fine.  for some reason people don't seem to know that. 

and one of the drivers was a dan blizerian-wannabe gymbro with the title of "influencer" and the other was a 50 something fake blonde estate agent

I think they were both the latter, or really more 40s hausfrau.

And, of course, it only takes three fairly tricked out Suburban/Tahoe/Escalades to make a quarter million's worth of SUV, but the G-wagen is certainly ostentatious.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I saw a brand new McLaren 570/600/620 (who knows, they all look the same) going 10 mph down Lemmon with it's hazards on a couple days ago.  Poor guy barely made it off the dealership lot before getting a hard dose of that British reliability. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Assman said:

I saw a brand new McLaren 570/600/620 (who knows, they all look the same) going 10 mph down Lemmon with it's hazards on a couple days ago.  Poor guy barely made it off the dealership lot before getting a hard dose of that British reliability. 

They're the Longhorn football of supercars.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Assman said:

I shan't be far behind him, the orders for the DBX just opened week before last.

I actually had quite a good time working with the dealer on the web configurator. I hope to get a delivery in the first quarter of 21.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:29 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Perhaps this is a different manifestation of the same "unnecessary and flagrant inefficiency as status symbol" that also drives other people to buy 22" rims, grills, or Richard Mille watches. 

Easy there!

On 8/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, G650 said:

Harsh.

Yep. RM’s are amazing.  Try one on and they’re hard to take off.  Also if you live a fairly active life there’s no better watch.  If you’re scared to wear it then don’t buy one.  But for the gym, golf, tennis...Badass watches.  Also I appreciate world class engineering and they have it.  Are they overpriced?  Considering I almost never see one sold for under retail, I’d say no.  
Buddy just opened up an RM boutique here in Chicago so had to go off on this rant.  

Also, all this is from a guy who drives an SVJ.  Understated, I am not.  

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Except for that whole having to read the time off the damn thing from time to time.

Lol I can’t think of a single time I had an issue reading the time on my RM055.  Wear it 2-3 times and your eyes adapt pretty quickly.  I agree there’s some other models where it’s probably more difficult...

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep. RM’s are amazing.  Try one on and they’re hard to take off.  Also if you live a fairly active life there’s no better watch.  If you’re scared to wear it then don’t buy one.  But for the gym, golf, tennis...Badass watches.  Also I appreciate world class engineering and they have it.  Are they overpriced?  Considering I almost never see one sold for under retail, I’d say no.  
Buddy just opened up an RM boutique here in Chicago so had to go off on this rant.  

Uh, I think RMs are the douchiest watch this side of Hublot. Lumping the the other people with RM wearers was the harsh part.

No judgment though my friend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Smashing!

Yknow, the British are excellent engineers, imo.  It's mostly the manufacturing that brings them down.  Seems like low-volume vehicles (no mass production by chavs in Coventry) and regular SI fasteners (no more Armstrong-Whitworth), would have eliminated most of the reliability issues associated with British cars.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Uh, I think RMs are the douchiest watch this side of Hublot. Lumping the the other people with RM wearers was the harsh part.

No judgment though my friend!

Oh God - Hublot.  That’s a truly low blow.  I will wear that scar...with pride.  

But it’s definitely polarizing.  I’ve never heard anything but complements on the 5980.  The RM gets some watch snobs worked up.  

Back to cars.  Got a peek at the new S63.  Hope what I saw was not the final product.  Inside 10/10.  Outside looked like an ugly Audi.  I like Audi’ design, just saying this looked like something they fucked up.  Yikes.  

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

But it’s definitely polarizing.  I’ve never heard anything but complements on the 5980.  The RM gets some watch snobs worked up.  

Back to cars.  Got a peek at the new S63.  Hope what I saw was not the final product.  Inside 10/10.  Outside looked like an ugly Audi.  I like Audi’ design, just saying this looked like something they fucked up.  Yikes.  

I am massively interested in your business, just as kind of a general matter.

I have detected that it is basically a large practice group of docs that uses some innovative cost- and outcome-control measures to be attractive to insurers/CMS, yet still apparently lucrative, at least for you.  Sounds like a win-win in healthcare economics when everything else seems lose-lose.

At some point, if you can do so without doxxing, I would like to hear the story of how this came about.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am massively interested in your business, just as kind of a general matter.

I have detected that it is basically a large practice group of docs that uses some innovative cost- and outcome-control measures to be attractive to insurers/CMS, yet still apparently lucrative, at least for you.  Sounds like a win-win in healthcare economics when everything else seems lose-lose.

At some point, if you can do so without doxxing, I would like to hear the story of how this came about.

Sure.  Will shoot you a PM

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Man, I would be disappointed if you didn't like RM. You got a standard to uphold around here!

I haven't seen new S63, but thats a fucking shame as it was a looker before.

• Hook 'Em 1