The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yknow, the British are excellent engineers, imo.  It's mostly the manufacturing that brings them down.  Seems like low-volume vehicles (no mass production by chavs in Coventry) and regular SI fasteners (no more Armstrong-Whitworth), would have eliminated most of the reliability issues associated with British cars.

Quite.

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

bored everyday.  when do u take delivery?  i think matt becker (lotus) is doing all the engineering for AM now?  supposed to be very nice dynamically

Yes, platform wise. AMG doing most systems I think. To be honest, my interest waned a little at the beginning of the year, but now that we are getting some physical testing going on and some of the driving dynamics are becoming known, I'm blown away and more excited now than ever. It can get 3" higher than my X5M for offroad and 2" lower for onroad, it's much bigger than I thought but weighs same as my car, has slightly smaller exterior dimensions that the Rover Sport, but actually has larger interior dimensions.

The target for delivery is first quarter of next year.

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

this thing looks nice

Looks pretty good in person, too.  The one false note is that black panel on the c-pillar, which sticks out more on lighter colors.

I'm seeing credible rumors of a CT5-V Blackwing with the supercharged LS V8 @~640 hp.  Same as the last CTS-V, but lighter.  The Blackwing hotvee DOHC V8 is, alas, no more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

been doing some shopping for wheels and discovered i cant buy anything with a spoke count other than 5 or 10, because the lugs are not radially symmetric with the spokes. 

and now that i see it i cant ever unsee it again -- lugs dont line up at , or between , the spokes

volk_te37_wheel_dsg_performance_11.jpg

(the other solution is to steal a $200k porsche gt3 with centerlock wheels...)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

(the other solution is ... centerlock wheels...)

Fuck those and the marketing team that (correctly) said "people will jizz all over themselves to run that race shit on the street." Special wrench, special socket, most shops can't change them correctly, they're a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Looks pretty good in person, too.  The one false note is that black panel on the c-pillar, which sticks out more on lighter colors.

I'm seeing credible rumors of a CT5-V Blackwing with the supercharged LS V8 @~640 hp.  Same as the last CTS-V, but lighter.  The Blackwing hotvee DOHC V8 is, alas, no more.

I "misspoke" when I said LS.  It's the LT4 from the Z06 C7 Vette.  I get confused by Chevy/GM recycling the engine names from the last generation.

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:
6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:
The actual V, as opposed to the V-Blackwing, doesn't have the astronomical power, but also is $50k to start.  Motor Trend and R/T loved it.

Twin turbo V6 I assume? I drove a CTS V-Sport and liked it. I think those engines have some headroom to tune also.

Yeah, 3L not 3.6.  385hp and over 400tq, which is nice.

• Like 1

Doing a little pre-shopping in the event I have to get new tires.  The most common replacement tire, according to the forums, is the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or 4.  Discount has Pirelli CS Sport for a good deal less and they are very high rated.

I have had pretty good experiences with Michelins, as I guess everyone has and they were the only maker of tires that fit my last 2-3 cars.

I had kind of a bad experience with Pirellis that cracked long before I got many miles on them, but it was my college car, so it didn't get a lot of miles.  They've been pretty good on wife's bitchin Camaro.

Any insight or recos?

15 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Michelin or Continental seem to be the consensus every time this is discussed. I have Conti ExtremeContact Sports and like them.

My runflats are Contis.  Unfair, but booo.  They're also pretty spendy, but still a skosh less than the Michelins.

Quite some time ago, Falken made a tire that fit one of my cars and I went for them and was very surprised and pleased with them.

I know nothing about run flats. The Conti ExtremeContact Sport (formerly DW) and ExtremeContact DWS06 are consistently highly rated and priced lower than Michelins.

I'll also consider Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
I have the AS3+ on my car. They are good tires. I can't manage to get more than 15k out of a set, but that's more a function of my car, i think. Heavy AWD cars with a lot of hp just go through tires fast.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There was the original Michelin Pilot Sport. Which was okay. 

Then came the Pilot Sport PS2.  Which was okay. 

Then came the Pilot Super Sport.  Which is very good.  still in production because they're homologated for many cars, but they are outdated as an aftermarket option.

New are Pilot Sport 4, and Pilot Sport 4S, which are different in sizes availability, and slightly in wet performance and ultimate performance.

Those are all summer tires, and all you need year-round for Texas.

There are all-season variants of this line as the AS3, currently being replaced by the AS4.  But if you live in Texas, just stick with the summer variant.

Continentals are good (with much dumber nomenclature) and recent model Goodyears are great as well

On 8/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, G650 said:

So I went with Concours Blue, yellow calipers.

Screenshot-20200813-172207-Drive.jpg

Screenshot-20200822-143254-Drive.jpg

Congrats, I really like this thing.  That may embarrass you, but here we are.  But you turned me onto the Cullinan too so you could go more lux instead of sport.  

I need to test drive that thing...It’s on the agenda. The dealer here has a DB9, in Gulf Livery, sitting in the showroom.  Need to go get pics of that anyway.  

On 8/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, 52-80 said:

this thing looks nice

I agree.

When I was growing up our neighbor on the one side was a Cadillac Man through and through. He was a really successful guy, but, still very down to earth and nice. But he loved his Cadillacs. I bet in the time before he died he had 20-25 different Cadillacs, and about half fucked him with horrible reliability. I'm 53 now so you understand the time frame I am referencing. I said to his son a few years after the gentleman passed that I wished his dad was still around because I missed him, and that I wished he could see Cadillac making some really good cars.

My biggest issue with Cadillac is that right about the time they get a car to be really good they go and kill it. It sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, this is absurd.  Three of my tires are Conti SSR, and the fourth, the one with the slow leak, is not runflat.

It was not punctured or damaged, just corrosion between the rim and bead, so that's fixed.

So I guess I better hurry up and get that pump.

Also, another absurdity.  Discount was doing some virus things so they had me drive into the bay.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to go in the waiting room or not, I think  it was closed.  Anyway, I left my key in the cupholder, which prevents the car from automatically locking.  What it apparently doesn't do is disarm the alarm.  When they jacked it up, it went off and locked the doors.  Same when they let it down.  Thankfully, after a period of non-movement, it unlocked.

I had keyless entry on the CTS, but I don't think it armed the alarm when you left the keys in.  It spent almost zero time in the shop, so I guess I never had to figure it out.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Congrats, I really like this thing.  That may embarrass you, but here we are.  But you turned me onto the Cullinan too so you could go more lux instead of sport.  

I need to test drive that thing...It’s on the agenda. The dealer here has a DB9, in Gulf Livery, sitting in the showroom.  Need to go get pics of that anyway.  

Shit man, we have more in common than different, notwithstanding all the grief I give you. Not RM watches tho ...

My dealer is supposed to have their demonstrator in a week or two, mildy excited to say the least.

I think the front quarter shot in the build photo is one of the weakest angles, the front profile though is fucking sick, like with most Astons.

20200828-193334.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, G650 said:

Shit man, we have more in common than different, notwithstanding all the grief I give you. Not RM watches tho ...

My dealer is supposed to have their demonstrator in a week or two, mildy excited to say the least.

I think the front quarter shot in the build photo is one of the weakest angles, the front profile though is fucking sick, like with most Astons.

20200828-193334.jpg

Do a better job at scribbling out your name next time, Gollum. 

~~~~~

PSA: I saw a very, very stealthy undercover cop car today in the NW Chicago suburbs (Glenview, for CTD and anyone else) that was a blacked out Dodge Charger with none of the usual tells, but it did have an extremely low-profile light bar on the roof in front of the sunroof, but it was shaped so it more or less just looked like the little air deflector doodad that some sunroofs have. It was slimmer than any light bar I've ever seen, but from the front, it was unmistakable that that's what it was. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seeing that Wagoneer, do we really like sunroofs?  I suppose its a Texas thing, but I'm not really down for blazing hot sun beating down on me, even through a piece of tinted glass, four or five months out of the year.  I guess they can be nice in the cooler months  . . . .

Because the hot months and the cold month combine to rule it out for about half the year, I wind up not using it much.