The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, G650 said:
I've been in the silly SUV game since the 5.9 Jeep Cherokee, the O.G. silly SUV.

Any Cayenne Turbos in there? That's the silly SUV I want.

I drove the first generation Cayenne from Virginia to Boston and back and I can say without reservation it is unequivocally the biggest piece of shit I've ever been behind the wheel of, and it put me off ever getting a Cayenne.

Plus I hate Porsche.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

From the rose colored glasses point of view, haven't really followed when the GTS with the 8 cylinder comes out or if it is already out but I would make sure you try that one too.  We had a 14 GTS and got rid of it for the current model Turbo and I think I liked the GTS better.  The Turbo is definitely faster.  But, the GTS sounded better and drove much tighter.  The Turbo is a little wavy and feels more like a grocery getter than a Porsche. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

From the rose colored glasses point of view, haven't really followed when the GTS with the 8 cylinder comes out or if it is already out but I would make sure you try that one too.  We had a 14 GTS and got rid of it for the current model Turbo and I think I liked the GTS better.  The Turbo is definitely faster.  But, the GTS sounded better and drove much tighter.  The Turbo is a little wavy and feels more like a grocery getter than a Porsche. 

I suppose Porsche is selling the shit out of the SUVs, and Panameras, so they are succumbing to the family truckster trend maybe in the worst possible way?

On my new car quest, I deliberately avoided driving any Porsches, particularly the Cayenne and Macan.  It was more than I wanted to spend, regardless, but I imagine I could have been seduced.

I'm a car guy, but I'm also financially conservative and acknowledge that cars are a terrible "investment."  I have always managed to find something interesting and fun to drive without spending a ton of money.  It's even worse now that I am on the glide slope to retirement.  By all objective measures, we should be "set."  But all the uncertainty in the world still makes me worry.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I have driven a GTS and loved it. It was an 18. Have not driven a Turbo yet.

6 hours ago, G650 said:

I drove the first generation Cayenne from Virginia to Boston and back and I can say without reservation it is unequivocally the biggest piece of shit I've ever been behind the wheel of, and it put me off ever getting a Cayenne.

Plus I hate Porsche.

Interesting.  My wife really likes the Macan, but I have a phobia of Porsche because of my height and family always hated them.  So I have mixed feelings.  One of my neighbors raves about the cayenne but he’s 80 .

My boss loves her Cayenne Turbo S but she's a nearly 70 year old woman who lives in Beverly Hills, so her opinion is similarly useless. I wouldn't be surprised if the 72-way massaging seats were her favorite feature. 

A hotel I stayed at in San Diego once back in 2014 or '15 was having some sort of informal Porsche promotion where they had a couple cars around that guests could take out for a couple of hours. A colleague, his wife, my wife, and I took a Panamera e-hybrid up into the canyons and had a lot of fun, at least until my driving made my colleague's wife car sick. It would have been nice to know that she was prone to such things (because I wouldn't have gone anywhere with them) but our plan was for me to drive us out, and my colleague to drive us back. So my drive wasn't spoiled as much as everyone else's was. 

When we got back to the hotel, the Cayenne GTS had been returned (can't remember if it was the V8 or TTV6) so my colleague and I took it out for just a half hour or so, and I left the whole thing much more impressed with the Cayenne than the Panamera, despite my general dislike of SUVs and preference for riding lower to the ground. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 8/28/2020 at 8:21 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 8/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, G650 said:
I've been in the silly SUV game since the 5.9 Jeep Cherokee, the O.G. silly SUV.

My wife has one.  We have had it for two years.  I personally like the better body kit, lower ride, and overall package of the GTS, but the 530hp in the turbo is a game changer.  The thing is an absolute beast when you need it to be, comfortable when you need that, and total workhorse on road trips.  It is our second Cayenne.  In 2 years we have put 40k miles on the thing, and zero shot my wife will drive anything else at this point.  Bonus for me that i like to drive it when i am not driving my cars.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Who had McIntosh before?  Does it have tubes?  

My winter beater (2004 Subaru Outback 3.0 VDC with 212,000 miles and no muffler that still somehow manages to pass inspection) has a McIntosh stereo. The radio works okay some of the time and terrible some of the time, a couple of the speakers are blown, and the six disc changer tries to eat CDs often enough that I've simply quit feeding it. I have no idea whether it has tubes though. 

Can't wait to see how poorly they hold up when surrounded by Jeep. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Y’all ready for the $100k Jeep (probably)?

It’s also bringing back McIntosh audio in a car for the first time in 20 years.

3b25b976c888910777e7937d5aac533e.jpg

4d7532112e5a3e0c19dcfc0179baafb6.jpg

707c868dacacee946ea271b625fb589e.jpg

dec4d37be3519f1af5220f6ec663d9c4.jpg

b620ed27c2db2d69541b753cb332bd9a.jpg

f6274283e4a028e36857b7b91e8f8755.jpg

Nice looking unit. I just suspect it handles like an aircraft carrier like the Tahoe/Suburban. The nostalgia is certainly tuggin pretty hard right now though I have to admit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'd obviously prefer an older model, but if I was in the market for a full-size SUV I'd be interested. My wife doesn't understand how a 'Jeep' can cost $100K. I tried to explain that an Escalade was a Chevy and a Navigator was a Ford, but she didn't get it.

But it was a good question.  I probably wouldn't buy it for 50k.  It's a Jeep, and everything that comes with that.  Nostalgia, and cheap things breaking like cheap things do.  Would like to have my old Cherokee back for a beater, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

But it was a good question.  I probably wouldn't buy it for 50k.  It's a Jeep, and everything that comes with that.  Nostalgia, and cheap things breaking like cheap things do.  Would like to have my old Cherokee back for a beater, though. 
I guess. It's all marketing and rebadging. Jeep has done some good things with their interiors on the Grand Cherokee and this seems to be a step up from that. It won't be an Audi, but a Tahoe is overpriced and people can't get enough of them.

12 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

People pay 100k for Escalades which are in the running for biggest piece of shit on the road.

I can take a Tahoe/Suburban to 300k miles with oil changes, brakes, batteries.   I’ve done it, and am in process of doing it again.  I felt pretty lucky about the 150k we got out of our cherokees, GC’s, and liberty.    

• Like 1

I can take a Tahoe/Suburban to 300k miles with oil changes, brakes, batteries.   I’ve done it, and am in process of doing it again.  I felt pretty lucky about the 150k we got out of our cherokees, GC’s, and liberty.    

Tahoe/Suburban aren’t as bad. It’s all the fancy stuff that breaks on the Escalade, and parts are expensive as hell.

I prefer my sports car manufacturers to make sports cars, and my SUV manufacturers to make SUVs.  I am as big of a Porsche fanboy as you will ever find, and I think anything they produce with more than 2 doors looks like shit.  Lambos aren’t my jam, but I can certainly see why people like what they do.  That ugly piece of scrap metal bears no resemblance to any car Lamborghini has ever produced.