The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 9/22/2020 at 9:48 PM, Assman said:

I honestly don't think it's that terrible, but the German plate does a good job of breaking that gaping hole up.  I think it'd look way worse without the plate which goes against everything I've ever stood for.

My exact thoughts.  Never complied with a front plate and it’s messing w my head.  Also the US sized plates will make it look terrible too.  The euro plate is only way to salvage that disaster.  

13 hours ago, 936horn said:

Lol, California

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/by-2035-new-trucks-and-cars-sold-in-california-must-be-emissions-free/

"This is the most impactful step our state can take to fight climate change," said Governor Newsom. "For too many decades, we have allowed cars to pollute the air that our children and families breathe. Californians shouldn't have to worry if our cars are giving our kids asthma. Our cars shouldn't make wildfires worse—and create more days filled with smoky air. Cars shouldn't melt glaciers or raise sea levels threatening our cherished beaches and coastlines."

"Our cars shouldn't make wildfires worse..."

He really said that.

I appreciate having built in cam in my car.  Mostly to watch parking incidences.  99% of people are very respectable and careful when opening their door.

Saw this shitbag in a 2002 Hyundai fucking Tiburon just fling his door out carelessly into mine.  He stepped out with a fucking drink in 1 hand and cigarettes or something in the other. 

OK, maybe he just misjudged it....

...later he came back to his car, opened the door, and once again tapped mine.

I have his plate #, his name, and even address.

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I appreciate having built in cam in my car.  Mostly to watch parking incidences.  99% of people are very respectable and careful when opening their door.

Saw this shitbag in a 2002 Hyundai fucking Tiburon just fling his door out carelessly into mine.  He stepped out with a fucking drink in 1 hand and cigarettes or something in the other. 

OK, maybe he just misjudged it....

...later he came back to his car, opened the door, and once again tapped mine.

I have his plate #, his name, and even address.

image.png

image.png

Gray fuckin slacks, man. It’s like the ne’er-do-well uniform. 

I know y’all are high rollers and I’ve posted in here before about a ~$50k option for my future car...but my ‘07 V read the thread and decided to start shitting on me.  This year I’ve replaced the water pump, radiator, both cats, clutch sensor and now it’s progressively smelling more of fuel everyday...so my plans to wait until my kids are both in school is dead and need something pretty soon...I keep trying to get it right so I can sell it and it keeps shedding parts on me.  

Looking for thoughts on an 18-19 Stinger?  Anyone got one?  I’d prefer the higher quality interior and dealer experience of a G70, but I’d be a fool to give up the utility of 2” more rear legroom + a hatch when I’m still using car seats.

My expectation is having this 3-5 years, and then getting something of a higher level of luxury and performance.  Keep in mind I kept my 97 Prelude for 9 years and the V1 for 10 so having a Stinger for 3 years would be a new thing for me...and leasing a new one makes no sense given I’ve seen $6k down + $425 a month for a new GT2 = $21k depreciation when a 3 year old GT2 only depreciated about $10k...is 3 years more warranty + free oil changes worth $10k. Hope not. 

I don’t want another Cadillac/GM product right now, German parts are expensive, we already have an Explorer for an SUV, an older GS-F makes me nervous about maintenance cost, and Acura kinda went into a whole weird area there.  

I feel like a Stinger is a good middle ground and a unique offering...but am understandably burnt out on repairing cars so am looking for the sweet spot in age + performance + utility + remaining warranty + not another 335i + my wife loves the way they look = semi-sold on a GT1 or GT2 Stinger though I’ll die a little inside using 2 pedals after 19 years driving a stick.  

(sorry for the novel) 

Ive gotten over not having a stick anymore.  Last 2 cars lack clutch pedals.  Yes I still like the idea of it, for a small sporty car, but it's not something I still dwell on all the time.

Why not look into a V8 lexus GSF?  Has luxury.  Has roominess.  Has lexus resale.  And the v8 will only be more valuable (atleast in sentimental terms) as time goes on... Enjoy it for a long while, rather than using the Kia as a mere placeholder

23 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Ive gotten over not having a stick anymore.  Last 2 cars lack clutch pedals.  Yes I still like the idea of it, for a small sporty car, but it's not something I still dwell on all the time.

Why not look into a V8 lexus GSF?  Has luxury.  Has roominess.  Has lexus resale.  And the v8 will only be more valuable (atleast in sentimental terms) as time goes on... Enjoy it for a long while, rather than using the Kia as a mere placeholder

Yeah I love the look, love the idea of Toyota reliability, but am worried I’d have to settle a bit lower down on an older one to make the money work...and just not as sporty, then again I haven’t drive one.  

And yes Twice, 2007 CTS-V is my current ride falling apart.  And yes used market is hot right now across the board so I’m in a jam.  

I’m probably letting my current maintenance woes on a 13 year old GM product cloud my judgement but I’m also trying to spend around $30-35k so I can keep payments around $500/month.  Plus my kids are 4/7 so spills and messes are gonna happen, and I’d rather have that happen in something a little more down market where the next owner doesn’t expect perfection.  

Plus the infotainment/tech on Lexus is ass, so you won't miss out on anything going for the earlier model years.  V8 is a Yamaha so it will probably last forever. 

If you project the depreciation on a Kia/Hyundai (not so good), the Lexus might give you comparable numbers on a TCO basis

23 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I love the look, love the idea of Toyota reliability, but am worried I’d have to settle a bit lower down on an older one to make the money work...and just not as sporty, then again I haven’t drive one.  

And yes Twice, 2007 CTS-V is my current ride falling apart.  And yes used market is hot right now across the board so I’m in a jam.  

I’m probably letting my current maintenance woes on a 13 year old GM product cloud my judgement but I’m also trying to spend around $30-35k so I can keep payments around $500/month.  Plus my kids are 4/7 so spills and messes are gonna happen, and I’d rather have that happen in something a little more down market where the next owner doesn’t expect perfection.  

I might consider a Civic SI or R or whatever if that whole practicality thing is an issue.  WRX?

Also, while it isn't going to hold a power-candle to your CTS-V (nothing you're looking at is), the ATS is another order of magnitude more fun to drive than my 2011 CTS coupe and can be had for an absolute steal (substantially under 30k with low miles).

How many miles on your CTS-V?  Thirteen years is a pretty good run for a fairly high-strung vehicle.

Edit:  forgot about market conditions, but last January, when I bought, Stingers and G70s were hard to find.  Also, super weird but what few G70s there were had like 1500 miles on them and not much break off MSRP.

There were a shit ton of ATS Sedans last time I looked.  I wanted a coupe again, so selection was considerably lower and price higher.  I saw a few MTs too, with a price break usually.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Oh indeed my man.  I got an ATS loaner a few times when the V was in the shop, Cadillac has finally gotten their interiors in order and it was fun to drive...but the back seat was a little tight for my need right now.  

I’d argue 365hp in the Stinger is comparable to about what I get in a 13 year old LS2.  What’s the LS-F packing?  Anything has to get better mileage than the ~14 I average now in town with the V.  

And no Si or WRX just based on boomy 4 cylinders and ricer viewpoints.  Smaller too.  I’m a man and 40, wanting something a little big with a little pep and RWD.  

32 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Oh indeed my man.  I got an ATS loaner a few times when the V was in the shop, Cadillac has finally gotten their interiors in order and it was fun to drive...but the back seat was a little tight for my need right now.  

I’d argue 365hp in the Stinger is comparable to about what I get in a 13 year old LS2.  What’s the LS-F packing?  Anything has to get better mileage than the ~14 I average now in town with the V.  

And no Si or WRX just based on boomy 4 cylinders and ricer viewpoints.  Smaller too.  I’m a man and 40, wanting something a little big with a little pep and RWD.  

True enough on the TTV6, but probably hard to find.  Most of the used Genesii and Stingers I saw were 2.0T.

With you on the ricer deal, although a WRX could pass as a man's car.

Yeah the ATS is a skosh smaller than the CTS.

14 mpg? Shit. That's terrible. That's what Landcruisers get.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My V basically drives to and from a daycare that’s 5 miles away at best.  It gets occasional highway runs but I’ve never seen better than 24 highway and about 16 city...lockdown means my car doesn’t really get much highway, which I’m sure helped accelerate the cats dying.  

And yes I’ve thought about a Golf.  When I start this search in earnest I’ll be bringing a car seat with me to test for rear room.  My car is essentially a 1 adult + 1-2 kid mobile. 

13 hours ago, Homercles said:

a Stinger is a good middle ground and a unique offering...but am understandably burnt out on repairing cars so am looking for the sweet spot in age + performance + utility + remaining warranty + not another 335i + my wife loves the way they look = semi-sold on a GT1 or GT2 Stinger though I’ll die a little inside using 2 pedals after 19 years driving a stick.  

19 Stinger GT2 owner here for one year. I got a pretty good deal new for Texas as we can't take the lease buy-out deal in Texas without paying taxes on the lease AND the buyout.

I cross shopped the Golf R, Lexus IS 350 and a few other sport sedans. I came from an Acura TL SH-AWD that still would have been in my stable if a ditzy old lady wouldn't have pulled out in front of my son and totaled the car. Thankfully it did its job and he walked away with a minor airbag burn. I was likely going to wait for the new TLX-S.

The Stinger was not on my radar at first but the more reviews I read and then test drove, it ticked all the boxes. It's a great value Swiss Army knife of a car that should be selling in droves but people don't want a sedan and it's a KIA.  It really reminds me of an Audi in handling and is pretty quick and easily modifiable. The tech is good and servicing is cheap. Reliability so far is solid.

I think I would have looked for a lightly used one if in your position. They depreciate quickly from MSRP. With my deal, I don't feel too hit by the value. But that means you could find a good used deal and get a ton of car for the money. Reliability has been good and it starts a lot of conversations because it's not that common.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah 14 is especially bad for a modernish car. I think mine gets up to about 24 or so if I did all highway. No traffic on my commute has definitely helped. The stop and go absolutely kills it. Also my lead foot.

My Audi will theoretically do 27 on the highway, but i typically get high teens in spirited driving.

6 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

19 Stinger GT2 owner here for one year. I got a pretty good deal new for Texas as we can't take the lease buy-out deal in Texas without paying taxes on the lease AND the buyout.

I cross shopped the Golf R, Lexus IS 350 and a few other sport sedans. I came from an Acura TL SH-AWD that still would have been in my stable if a ditzy old lady wouldn't have pulled out in front of my son and totaled the car. Thankfully it did its job and he walked away with a minor airbag burn. I was likely going to wait for the new TLX-S.

The Stinger was not on my radar at first but the more reviews I read and then test drove, it ticked all the boxes. It's a great value Swiss Army knife of a car that should be selling in droves but people don't want a sedan and it's a KIA.  It really reminds me of an Audi in handling and is pretty quick and easily modifiable. The tech is good and servicing is cheap. Reliability so far is solid.

I think I would have looked for a lightly used one if in your position. They depreciate quickly from MSRP. With my deal, I don't feel too hit by the value. But that means you could find a good used deal and get a ton of car for the money. Reliability has been good and it starts a lot of conversations because it's not that common.

Thank you.  I’d dip down to a GT1 if necessary but really like the idea of cooled seats here in Texas.  And yeah I don’t think I can justify brand new, only reason I’d do that is warranty and free oil changes.  If the car has proven solid so far in reliability I’d be fine with an 18/19.  What turned you off about the Golf?

16 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Thank you.  I’d dip down to a GT1 if necessary but really like the idea of cooled seats here in Texas.  And yeah I don’t think I can justify brand new, only reason I’d do that is warranty and free oil changes.  If the car has proven solid so far in reliability I’d be fine with an 18/19.  What turned you off about the Golf?

I had cooled seats in the CTS.  They seemed to lose effectiveness over time.  I suppose because whatever channels or pipes or apertures conduct cool air through the seat were crushed or deformed.  They were still flowing, but after say 4-5 years, the only time I could really feel it was when my back was sweaty.

Some maker's implementations may be better, but I think it's going to be difficult to maintain airflow through seat cushions bearing a couple hundred pounds of weight.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

Yeah 14 is especially bad for a modernish car. I think mine gets up to about 24 or so if I did all highway. No traffic on my commute has definitely helped. The stop and go absolutely kills it. Also my lead foot.

6MT?  Although an MT, because it doesn't slip, will tend to provide better mileage than an AT with the same number of gears and similar ratios, it also invites "spirited driving" in that, no matter how you think you are driving, you are raising the shift points over what a similarly geared AT does, either consciously or subconsciously.

With an 8, 9, or 10 spd AT, which exist primarily to boost mileage with modern HO engines (read:  keep it out of boost), you are probably going to experience disturbingly low shift points and a bit of lugging (with an AT!!! it's startling).  You can put it in sport mode and avoid that to some degree, or downshift using paddles or the "manumatic," but there will also be a mileage hit.

If you go to a forum for a vehicle that went from a 6AT to an 8 or 10 while keeping the engine the same, you find a lot of complaints about the newer tranny.  Some of that is due to programming and I suppose the "quality" of the AT, but a lot of it is just inherent to the moar gears AT.  It is a little bit of a weird experience that takes some getting used to.

6MT?  Although an MT, because it doesn't slip, will tend to provide better mileage than an AT with the same number of gears and similar ratios, it also invites "spirited driving" in that, no matter how you think you are driving, you are raising the shift points over what a similarly geared AT does, either consciously or subconsciously.
With an 8, 9, or 10 spd AT, which exist primarily to boost mileage with modern HO engines (read:  keep it out of boost), you are probably going to experience disturbingly low shift points and a bit of lugging (with an AT!!! it's startling).  You can put it in sport mode and avoid that to some degree, or downshift using paddles or the "manumatic," but there will also be a mileage hit.
If you go to a forum for a vehicle that went from a 6AT to an 8 or 10 while keeping the engine the same, you find a lot of complaints about the newer tranny.  Some of that is due to programming and I suppose the "quality" of the AT, but a lot of it is just inherent to the moar gears AT.  It is a little bit of a weird experience that takes some getting used to.

Slushbox 6AT.

9 minutes ago, Okie State said:
12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Read more  

Slushbox 6AT.

Supercharged or NA?

As mentioned previously, I was a little startled at how often my little 2.0T was at 0 boost.  I'd be interested to see what it's non-boosted power is.  In keeping with that, the 8AT keeps the RPMs under 2000 at highway speeds up to 80.  At 55-60, it's under 1500.  If you keep your speed at or under 70, it gets 33+ mpg.  Over that, it dips into the high 20s.

Supposedly at 1700 rpm it gives 90% or 260 ftlbs of torque and is at the full 295 by 3000.  It has plenty of grunt when the AT lets it.  But between the slight turbo lag and the delay in downshifting, if you start heading up a hill when you are steady-state cruising at highway speed, or even worse "big road" 40-45 mph, there can be a spot of lugging.  It's weird af.  And if you want to pass or accelerate, you're better off to hit it hard to provoke the downshift than to ease up to passing speed.  Or hit the paddle.

This in contrast to a 6MT TSX four banger (2.5NA), which ran 2000 at 55 in 6th and was a little luggy there, and closer to 3000 at 75.

My guy at MB Greenway called and had a smoking hot deal on a 2021 AMG GLE 63S. Drove it and loved it plus much more room in back for 3 kids. Traded in the M5 Competition for it. Thinking about getting it wrapped in black satin. Anyone have any experience with wraps? Reputable guy out here asking $5k to do whole car including door jambs and chrome delete. 

9 hours ago, Homercles said:

Probably more the dealer than anything and the deals weren't happening even at DFW. There was likely no dealer incentive at the time. My local VW dealer had a manager who was an asshat and way undervalued my trade-in then starting playing the four square game after I told him I could pay cash if I wanted. The Kia dealer was actually pretty professional for an outfit that sells a lot of cars to people who probably treat them like crap and have credit scores under 500.

I was concerned about expensive repairs and VW quality (been there done that) although the new car warranty for VW has vastly improved. The Golf was a 6 MT and was an absolute blast to drive. The Stinger was a bit more mature however. The 360 camera is a wheel saver and I think the GT2 package has some great accessories but likely not worth the full MSRP bump over the GT1. I almost got a screaming deal on a RWD Stinger GTS but the orange car would have stood out big time and I drive "spirited" from time to time.  BTW, the Lexus had great build quality but drove like a Camry. I would have loved to look for a RC-F or GS-F used but they hold value and good ones are rare.

Oh, and check the insurance quotes on the Stinger. You may have to shop around. Apparently my insurance company misclassified my car initially and the renewal rate almost doubles. Thanks to a 19 year male with clean record on our policy.

1 hour ago, Fat Bastard said:

My guy at MB Greenway called and had a smoking hot deal on a 2021 AMG GLE 63S. Drove it and loved it plus much more room in back for 3 kids. Traded in the M5 Competition for it. Thinking about getting it wrapped in black satin. Anyone have any experience with wraps? Reputable guy out here asking $5k to do whole car including door jambs and chrome delete. 

Username checks out! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just stopped at a light and saw a brand new Mustang 5.0. It was a dark charcoal color, beautiful, and it also had gorgeous wheels. I couldn't reach my camera to take a picture. The best part was the license plate surround that said: Kiss Army and the license plate that said: Kiss LVR.

The car was really nice.