The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

25 minutes ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, G650 said:
I had a Volvo V90 wagon in the UK a few years back that was one of the nicest all around cars I've ever driven.

I tried to convince the wife to get the V90 instead of the XC90. They look really good in the right trim and the interior is really nice.

Yeah, super nice. I was fairly surprised.

I'm generally skeptical about the reliability, affordability, and short/medium/long term effectiveness of Volvo's overengineered (to my eye) twincharged 2.0L engine. 

Twincharging seems like it should be the province of mad scientist drag racing types, not moderate and high performance family vehicles. 

I also worry about that since we normally keep cars for 8+ years and 100K+ miles. I haven't run across any horror stories online though and the platform is at least five years old across multiple models with many proven miles on it so I'm hopeful.

On 10/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, Chewbacca said:

I'd race you and beat you with my weak as Audi. My neighbor with the X6M and i raced up an on ramp. All he saw was taillights until i lifted at 120.

Don't you have a car?

He is right though. The Audi Q7 and SQ7 are down on power compared to the BMW X5 or M version.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, Okie State said:

Let's buy a $100K grocery getter for the wife! Durrrrrr.

Women don't give a fuck about horsepower. Buy her what she wants and save some cash.

Yeah, my wife could give two fucks about how much power it has. She had never floored a car in her life. I told her she at least had to do it once. We got to a light, and she eased into the pedal til floored. My face......

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife could give two fucks about how much power it has. She had never floored a car in her life. I told her she at least had to do it once. We got to a light, and she eased into the pedal til floored. My face......
giphy.gif
Yeah I don't get it. One of the first things I did when I got my license was take my 1988 S10 Blazer out on a back road to see how fast it would go. Felt like the wheels were going to come off around 100 mph.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
19 minutes ago, Thatguy said:
Don't you have a car?
   He is right though. The Audi Q7 and SQ7 are down on power compared to the BMW X5 or M version.

Same weak ass engine.

I mean, my wife absolutely hates Mercedes and BMW. Something about how they look. I have tried to look into them for her, but she always comes back to Audi. Went to the Audi ship and they had an S8 on the floor. Bad ass ride!

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Thatguy said:
Don't you have a car?

Same weak ass engine.

Only dude I've seen calling it a weak ass engine is you.

The RR Sport is not a compact and would be quite a yacht compared to a GLA.  It also gets pretty horrendous mileage in most forms.

The Velar is probably more comparable.  Unless upsizing is what you are after.

If I were going for that type of vehicle (performance-y, compromised cargo, high prestige), I think I'd give the Macan a really hard look.

Edited by TwiceHorn

yeah I meant the Evoque not the sport but we will look at the sport.  don't care about cargo, we have a tundra and F350 if we need to haul stuff.  this is more about looking cool and feeling hot as we gain more wrinkles - if I'm being honest.  I like the sport and will push for it, she likes my Tesla X and I'm happy to share cars.  gonna look at porsche and also the larger mercedes.  she did just say she wants a gas car for roadtrips and it needs to be comfortable.  the Tesla X can make decent trips but sometimes we don't want to deal with the superchargers.

so I think right now its:

RR Discovery

Porche Macan (concerned about front seat leg room)

Mercedes GLE - might consider them again (but has to be a bigger one), we've had two of them and two teslas the last 4 cars

Range Rovers look hotAF and would be my pref. 

*she just said yes to all three.  I showed her the boxter and cayman and she said yes to the cayman if I fit and I give her my X.  hmmmm....

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

yeah I meant the Evoque not the sport but we will look at the sport.  don't care about cargo, we have a tundra and F350 if we need to haul stuff.  this is more about looking cool and feeling hot as we gain more wrinkles - if I'm being honest.  I like the sport and will push for it, she likes my Tesla X and I'm happy to share cars.  gonna look at porsche and also the larger mercedes.  she did just say she wants a gas car for roadtrips and it needs to be comfortable.  the Tesla X can make decent trips but sometimes we don't want to deal with the superchargers.

so I think right now its:

RR Discovery

Porche Macan (concerned about front seat leg room)

Mercedes GLE - might consider them again (but has to be a bigger one), we've had two of them and two teslas the last 4 cars

Range Rovers look hotAF and would be my pref. 

*she just said yes to all three.  I showed her the boxter and cayman and she said yes to the cayman if I fit and I give her my X.  hmmmm....

I forget that you are a leggy broad.

I'm 6-1, 200+/- and the Macan was fine, so I tend to assume it's fine for everyone with the caveat that backseat legroom disappears on all but the biggest things.

I forget that you are a leggy broad.
I'm 6-1, 200+/- and the Macan was fine, so I tend to assume it's fine for everyone with the caveat that backseat legroom disappears on all but the biggest things.

I’ve got a couple of inches on you but not much. I’m not out of proportion either (torso to legs) so it could be fine. I only worry because I sat in a 911 once and it was too small - under dash and wheel hit my knees. I bet the Macan is fine.

10 hours ago, Okie State said:

Yeah I don't get it. One of the first things I did when I got my license was take my 1988 S10 Blazer out on a back road to see how fast it would go. Felt like the wheels were going to come off around 100 mph.

Same. 

1985 Maxima to 125 indicated on the second day of having a license. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 2:11 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Remember how disappointed you were as a child when you tried to design a new car out of a hodgepodge of deconstructed Hot Wheels cars, Matchbox cars, Legos, Play-Doh, Capsela parts, Tinker Toys, and whatever else, and it just turned into a psychotic amalgamation of incompatible parts, some of them at radically different scale than the others? 

I thought of that when stopped in traffic behind an X5 m50i (or some other mishmash of meaninglessness) the other day.  I don't know what all they were going for, but the mosaic of symptoms is definitely far less than the sum of its disconnected parts. 

Fucking yuck. 

I guess you don’t want 523 hp and 553 ft lb of torque? We just bought one and it drives better than any car I’ve ever driven.

13 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I guess if that's the only vehicle available for purchase. 

Is it? 

Of course it’s not the only one but we shopped around and it’s got the best of everything. Tech, power, handling, ride comfort. The only thing close would be a GLE or Cayenne. For the price the BMW was an easy choice. If you want/need four doors these car manufacturers are pouring a ton into the SUVs and not nearly as much into sedans.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the X5 is fine looking.  One of the better SUVs.  Not too carlike.  However, there are some variants, the lower tier ones I presume, that have skinny tires or wheels that look goofy. or maybe it's some missing body kit, I'm not sure exactly.  The X3 is similar, but there are more of the skinny-looking ones.

Lebong's is a hot-ass SUV, imo.  Some of the hairball Grand Cherokees come close in sort of menacing, fast-looking trucklet.

Also, the 5-series confuses the hell out of me.  There are some changes in the last 5-8? or so years that have them alternately looking kind of svelte and kind of bloated.  Maybe I'm looking at Gran Coupe vs. regular, but I didn't think they did those with 5-series.  I despise the addition of Gran Coupe to model lines.  The concept is ok, maybe even good, but why pollute coupe lines with four doors.  Gives me a confuse.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think you are probably the exception to a lot of rules.

very true, but if you're talking gay women/lesbians, there's the truck crowd and the subaru crowd, if you're talking stereotypes.  some have both I guess.  had a landscaper crush on me hard a few years back, she drove a huge F250. Gfs ex has a subaru, gf had her tundra.  lots of messaging with cars.  gay men love the range rover as a example.

Edited by troph

Got rid of that one after 10 months & 11,000 Miles and traded it on a new 1973 Chevelle  “black rubber special” (no carpet) with 307 V8, three on the tree, AM radio, & heater.  Drove like a tank, but was solid as a Sherman. No power steering. Got 11 mpg in town and no better on the highway. Perfect hauler for three Little League snots. 
Kept this one for 10 years.

(picture shows the fancier model)

4B1613A8-A6BB-4E4D-A5F5-758F4E8F646E.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, troph said:

very true, but if you're talking gay women/lesbians, there's the truck crowd and the subaru crowd, if you're talking stereotypes.  some have both I guess.  had a landscaper crush on me hard a few years back, she drove a huge F250. Gfs ex has a subaru, gf had her tundra.  lots of messaging with cars.  gay men love the range rover as a example.

Lesbians I know do love the Subaru and trucks both fairly equally. Doing a quick mental survey I think the split is the age difference. My younger les friends drive trucks while the older ones drive Subies.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lesbians I know do love the Subaru and trucks both fairly equally. Doing a quick mental survey I think the split is the age difference. My younger les friends drive trucks while the older ones drive Subies.

had a thanksgiving dinner with friends two years ago and it was mostly gay men and we had 6 range rovers in the driveway and on the street.  gal with the F250 was 12-15 years younger than the gf's ex with the subaru.

Edited by troph

As long as we're tallying, my lesbian friends drive a V6 Accord (late 50s white collar) and a Mini Cooper S (late 30s professor) - seems like the common theme is fun sensibility with the upgraded engine.

And our cishet/one-and-done on kids family owns three Subarus - tuned and modded Legacy GT wagon, beater Outback 3.0, and Forester XT. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

The one married lesbian in our Happy Hour group drives a Subaru Forester(don’t know what her wife drives),  as does the single one. The gay guy drives one of those funny-looking Toyota SUVs.

All 60-70something retired state bureaucrat professionals (accountant, lawyer,  and a retired judge).

23 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We had three wagons.

First was the POS 1973 Chevy Vega:

C182ECA6-CABD-4A70-AB20-3D220C010615.jpeg

In another thread, I think the one about stupid things/injuries that have happened to us, I recounted my tale of our family's 1976 Vega wagon that sliced off my forehead. I go into convulsions whenever I see one/pictures. One of the worst cars ever built, ever.

Our Vega was very light brown/tan with an awful tan interior. I believe it had a 2.3-litre paint-shaker motor.

I think my dad bought that car after he sold the Corvair to a gal who worked for him in the X-Ray Department. I would have rather he kept the Corvair, it was a convertible, and fun, unless you blow up. That was a good looking car with a lot of potential. 

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

In another thread, I think the one about stupid things/injuries that have happened to us, I recounted my tale of our family's 1976 Vega wagon that sliced off my forehead. I go into convulsions whenever I see one/pictures. One of the worst cars ever built, ever.

Our Vega was very light brown/tan with an awful tan interior. I believe it had a 2.3-litre paint-shaker motor.

I think my dad bought that car after he sold the Corvair to a gal who worked for him in the X-Ray Department. I would have rather he kept the Corvair, it was a convertible, and fun, unless you blow up. That was a good looking car with a lot of potential. 

So your dad appears to be a bad decision maker.

Macan was kick ass. Fresa’s for lunch then over to RR. Macan was a 4 cylinder and still was impressive. A bunch of them in route including some S models. Sales gal sending over a few for us to look at on line. Gf likes it. I fit in the cayman FYI. They had a decent stock of 911 pre-owned. Hmmmm...

Update : RR sport was too big, RR Valera was nice, def said luxury.

1892bb8a0a09ef896ac1b064c543d775.jpg

but in the end she likes the Porsche better. Said nah to the S until she read up on it, now she wants the S. So this is what we are looking at:

7e456843a23939874925be3a4edb9fdc.jpg

Talking numbers now. Need to do a wheel swap and it’s done.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, troph said:

Macan was kick ass. Fresa’s for lunch then over to RR. Macan was a 4 cylinder and still was impressive. A bunch of them in route including some S models. Sales gal sending over a few for us to look at on line. Gf likes it. I fit in the cayman FYI. They had a decent stock of 911 pre-owned. Hmmmm...

Update : RR sport was too big, RR Valera was nice, def said luxury.

1892bb8a0a09ef896ac1b064c543d775.jpg

but in the end she likes the Porsche better. Said nah to the S until she read up on it, now she wants the S. So this is what we are looking at:

7e456843a23939874925be3a4edb9fdc.jpg

Talking numbers now. Need to do a wheel swap and it’s done.

Toldya.

The Macan is pretty sweet.  I talked myself out of it pretty easily because I was only looking at SUVs from a "practicality" standpoint and that's where the Macan falls down. along with a lot of the other smallish ones.  And, again, my probably irrational fear of krautwagens.

And I also thought, well, it drives great.  Think how much better a Cayman is  . . .  mmmm  . . . or maybe an older 911  . . . stahp.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1