The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 12/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, Buzzrock said:

My neighbor (not that neighbor) gets his new RS6 Avant on Thursday. I can’t wait to see it. He ordered it in February. 

I really want one but just can't wrap my head around paying that much money for a car.  Will probably get the wife an A6 Allroad instead.  But damn, I still lust over the RS6.

I'm slowly turning my S6 into something that makes me forget about the RS6 completely.  H&R sway bars, end links, and an Akrapovic exhaust went on today.  Got a set of 420mm RS7 Performance Carbon Ceramic brakes that go on next.  Engine is already tuned and will soon get an ethanol sensor for E85 fueling.  Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1

What does an aftermarket exhaust do for a turbocharged engine?  The usual exhaust reason is better scavenging, which is kind of off-the-table with turbos. I guess backpressure is still an issue, scavenging the exhaust side of the turbos, I guess.

Did you leave the cats (I see them but they could be "empty")?  Does it have some kind of hipo cats?

And, you kinda gotta think wheels start reaching diminishing returns at about 19 or 20, tops.  Not to mention shit ride.  Taut is one thing, fucking rocks on the corners is another entirely.

Edited by TwiceHorn

As long as the turbo-back section of the exhaust flows to the level of power for the tune, an aftermarket system yields almost next to nothing aside from an improved note.  The loudness will be muted by the turbine wheels anyhow, and the naturally-aspirated scavenging theory won't apply with a turbine wheel in the way.

Yeah, cats are still in the way at the moment, and I don't want to smell like a refinery in this car, so I'm likely to get some 300-cell higher-flowing catalytic downpipes at the same time the RS7 turbos are bolted in.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

As long as the turbo-back section of the exhaust flows to the level of power for the tune, an aftermarket system yields almost next to nothing aside from an improved note.  The loudness will be muted by the turbine wheels anyhow, and the naturally-aspirated scavenging theory won't apply with a turbine wheel in the way.

Yeah, cats are still in the way at the moment, and I don't want to smell like a refinery in this car, so I'm likely to get some 300-cell higher-flowing catalytic downpipes at the same time the RS7 turbos are bolted in.

Since you changed the tune (and the turbos, as I recall), I suppose your exhaust matches better than stock?

I'm not trying to be a dick or a smartass, I'm just fairly ignorant of forced induction engines and mods.  My engineering degree is 30 years old, and my time actually tinkering with cars is older than that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

The exhaust really wasn't necessary, just that it looks amazing, is nearly fully titanium in construction and I got a crazy deal on it.  Something about that Ti metallurgy gives it a more exotic tone as well.

The OEM exhaust appears to be large enough to support somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-800HP without restriction, so the swap wasn't necessary at all. 

Aftermarket Intake and Exhaust systems, marketed in the name of performance, might be the longest-running snake oil in the business.  Manufacturers aren't hiding horsepower in those components any longer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gravy Train said:

The exhaust really wasn't necessary, just that it looks amazing, is nearly fully titanium in construction and I got a crazy deal on it.  Something about that Ti metallurgy gives it a more exotic tone as well.

The OEM exhaust appears to be large enough to support somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-800HP without restriction, so the swap wasn't necessary at all. 

Aftermarket Intake and Exhaust systems, marketed in the name of performance, might be the longest-running snake oil in the business.  Manufacturers aren't hiding horsepower in those components any longer.

That was kind of what I was thinking.  Christ, titanium.  You can't weld that shit; it's gotta be friction-welded, I don't even want to ask.  Don't break it!!!

But yeah, it would have to sound much different than steel, thinner, I'm sure and less dense in any event.

I'm slowly turning my S6 into something that makes me forget about the RS6 completely.  H&R sway bars, end links, and an Akrapovic exhaust went on today.  Got a set of 420mm RS7 Performance Carbon Ceramic brakes that go on next.  Engine is already tuned and will soon get an ethanol sensor for E85 fueling.  Good times.
Nice. APR tune? That exhaust sounds fantastic.

I tried to get RS7 turbos when mine died. They told me no.

Maybe i just need to tune the shit out of my car.

8 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I don't know how people run their cars with no cats. Smells like straight gasoline fumes.

Well, I can remember a time when cars didn't have cats and that wasn't true.

I might guess that they aren't leaning out the mixture after deleting the cats.  Cars run rich on purpose until the cats reach temperature.  But then they should be extra-lean because dumping gas in hot cats can destroy them.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Nice. APR tune? That exhaust sounds fantastic.

I tried to get RS7 turbos when mine died. They told me no.

Maybe i just need to tune the shit out of my car.

ben stiller GIF

There's a Brit who started https://www.dynospectrum.com/ and developed a DIY-approach, tune-at-home dongle for our cars.  The flexibility with this tune is immense, supporting all kinds of hardware and fueling.  He's since moved on to make big power on the RS3, McLarens and is currently expanding the platform for the newest Audi/Porsche 4.0T in the Urus, RS6, RS7, RSQ8, etc.

APR found themselves EPA gun shy about their Stage-2 tune that complied with aftermarket downpipes (catalytic or not) and stopped its sale across the board.

200.gif

There's a Brit who started https://www.dynospectrum.com/ and developed a DIY-approach, tune-at-home dongle for our cars.  The flexibility with this tune is immense, supporting all kinds of hardware and fueling.  He's since moved on to make big power on the RS3, McLarens and is currently expanding the platform for the newest Audi/Porsche 4.0T in the Urus, RS6, RS7, RSQ8, etc.
APR found themselves EPA gun shy about their Stage-2 tune that complied with aftermarket downpipes (catalytic or not) and stopped its sale across the board.
I'm not sure i would want more than a stage 1 from APR. That puts the car around 600 hp. Not sure i need more because reliability seems to go south above that level.

Just now, Chewbacca said:
5 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I'm not sure i would want more than a stage 1 from APR. That puts the car around 600 hp. Not sure i need more because reliability seems to go south above that level.

That DynoSpectrum module costs about the same as the APR Stage 1 tune and you can flash it at home.  Just choose the Stage 1 file and realize you can flash it back to stock whenever you feel like it.  That's a perfectly fine, no-fuss upgrade worth visiting and stopping at.

The tiny cast compressor wheels of the turbos and oil feed are the only flaws that hold the motor back on long-term reliability.  You'd need to upgrade the low pressure fuel lines, improve charge cooling and swap into RS7 turbos to get a reliable 700HP from the engine, then the transmission tune will start hating life beyond 700 ft-# to the tire.  Just tune the trans and add more clutch clamp pressure, and forget first gear exists because you'll be able to rip all four on the street.

• Like 1

That DynoSpectrum module costs about the same as the APR Stage 1 tune and you can flash it at home.  Just choose the Stage 1 file and realize you can flash it back to stock whenever you feel like it.  That's a perfectly fine, no-fuss upgrade worth visiting and stopping at.
The tiny cast compressor wheels of the turbos and oil feed are the only flaws that hold the motor back on long-term reliability.  You'd need to upgrade the low pressure fuel lines, improve charge cooling and swap into RS7 turbos to get a reliable 700HP from the engine, then the transmission tune will start hating life beyond 700 ft-# to the tire.  Just tune the trans and add more clutch clamp pressure, and forget first gear exists because you'll be able to rip all four on the street.
Is that the tune you have?

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Is that the tune you have?

Yes, it's fantastic.  There's a whole Facebook group going on with guys comparing their setups.  It supports all sorts of upgrades in varied stages.  Without touching the turbos, you can go one half-step further after Stage I by swapping the turbo inlets and airbox with RS7 equivalents and keep a completely OEM look.  E85 and ethanol fuel mixes are supported too, clutch in the hotter months.

Gah, fuck.  So my new (to me) car is pretty low, so I have been super careful about parking bollards and curbs and shit for the sake of the "air dam."  And I'm not usually one for curb rash.

But coming home from the inlaws Christmas eve, I hit a rock or something in the gutter starting from a stop light (wtf?).  Got a nice gouge in the rim. It's not like curb rash in that it's not on more than about 2" of the circumference, but it goes up the face of the wheel and is pretty deep and ugly. I don't believe the rim is damaged internally.  Any advice on rim repairs?

I found this place on yelp with good reviews, seems the average cost is about $125.  https://www.qualityonewheels.com/  Discount Tire does it too, apparently.

What's your location and what does the finish look like on the wheel?  

I've had some fair luck, but mostly bad luck with OEM wheel repair quality.  There are plenty of shops around DFW but few who seem to truly understand how to powdercoat or paint to match the OE wheel or have a CNC lathe to re-machine the lip.

If your wheel isn't bent and salvageable, I've seen shops weld extra material to the wheel face and re-machine it to get the surface level close to original.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

What's your location and what does the finish look like on the wheel?  

I've had some fair luck, but mostly bad luck with OEM wheel repair quality.  There are plenty of shops around DFW but few who seem to truly understand how to powdercoat or paint to match the OE wheel or have a CNC lathe to re-machine the lip.

If your wheel isn't bent and salvageable, I've seen shops weld extra material to the wheel face and re-machine it to get the surface level close to original.

DFW.  That's what I figure they'll have to do (weld some material on and grind/cut it flush).  They're kind of satiny on the top surface and "as cast" with maybe some paint or coating on the recessed parts.  The gouge is of course on the raised, satin sections.

2015_cadillac_ats_rim_lg.jpg

I recommend Wheel Repair Solutions in Carrollton, near I35 and Frankford.  They do great work, can take care of the mount/balance job on the tire and it'll probably run a flat fee of $150.  https://wheelrepairsolutions.com/

OEM wheel repair is their specialty but they can do some fun things to refinish stock wheels.  I had a set where they powdercoated the inner spokes ("windows" and inside barrel gloss black, then machined on the outer face, and covered that in a tinted clearcoat.  It gives the wheels a different dimension, kind of a graphite or bronze burst in sunlight, but the black windows go with the trim of the car.  They did all that overnight for $550 on a set of forged 20x9" wheels, which I found a bargain.

• Hook 'Em 1

I beat the everloving fuck out of my hands today, wrenching on the Audi.  Hyperextended a joint in my thumb, blood blister on one hand and cuticles cut up, but maybe it was worth it.  The weather and open afternoon put me to task on direct-wiring a CANbus-based exhaust flap controller, which reads engine load, RPM or the "Drive Select" preset in my car to set the valves open on the Akrapovic exhaust.  Had to re-pin a CANbus connector and run a harness below the floorpan to intercept the stock exhaust controller wiring.

Onto the engine bay, to resume the RS7 goods, this time with the OEM RS7 airbox and turbo inlets.  With the cooler weather, that's enough headroom to flash to the Stage 2 file for a few more pounds of boost on 93 pump.  Ethanol sensor and larger fuel lines to the high pressure pumps will follow, so I can give it all the ignition advance on E85 blends.

63071644717-6-C5-F484-C-EAAC-4-CE7-B762-
IMG-2851.jpg

Got to the turbos, compressors are super clean and no shaft play.  A friend who casually wrenches on trucks said my engine bay looks like 100 pounds of shit in a 1-pound box.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I beat the everloving fuck out of my hands today, wrenching on the Audi.  Hyperextended a joint in my thumb, blood blister on one hand and cuticles cut up, but maybe it was worth it.  The weather and open afternoon put me to task on direct-wiring a CANbus-based exhaust flap controller, which reads engine load, RPM or the "Drive Select" preset in my car to set the valves open on the Akrapovic exhaust.  Had to re-pin a CANbus connector and run a harness below the floorpan to intercept the stock exhaust controller wiring.

Onto the engine bay, to resume the RS7 goods, this time with the OEM RS7 airbox and turbo inlets.  With the cooler weather, that's enough headroom to flash to the Stage 2 file for a few more pounds of boost on 93 pump.  Ethanol sensor and larger fuel lines to the high pressure pumps will follow, so I can give it all the ignition advance on E85 blends.

IMG-2851.jpg

Got to the turbos, compressors are super clean and no shaft play.  A friend who casually wrenches on trucks said my engine bay looks like 100 pounds of shit in a 1-pound box.

I wouldn't have gone with that particular analogy, but it's a goodun.  All the turbo plumbing really has kind of ruint engine compartments.

Well, shit-fuck-a-duck.  I went and inspected the curb rash again and it's not as bad as I originally thought (I really dreaded looking at it).  But, gotdammit, there's a similar small patch in the rear, too, so it apparently ran over or up against whatever this was.

The only times in the past I can remember giving myself curb rash were on an icy/slick road and parallel parking.  I don't usually hit curbs or shit in the gutter.  I'm rather mystified as to what it was that I ran into/over.

So, I guess I'll wait a while before attempting any repairs, as it's not that horrible and pretty obviously damaged neither wheel except cosmetically.  But geebus is is cringey to look at.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, shit-fuck-a-duck.  I went and inspected the curb rash again and it's not as bad as I originally thought (I really dreaded looking at it).  But, gotdammit, there's a similar small patch in the rear, too, so it apparently ran over or up against whatever this was.

The only times in the past I can remember giving myself curb rash were on an icy/slick road and parallel parking.  I don't usually hit curbs or shit in the gutter.  I'm rather mystified as to what it was that I ran into/over.

So, I guess I'll wait a while before attempting any repairs, as it's not that horrible and pretty obviously damaged neither wheel except cosmetically.  But geebus is is cringey to look at.

Curb rash appear by magic. That’s how they work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, Gravy Train said:

IMG-2851.jpg

Had the Akropovic exhaust on last Lambo.  The sound and flames were just incredible.  Need to get the SVJ one ASAP.  

Nice work on the RS7

11 hours ago, Okie State said:

I rashed my front wheel in a parking garage and had to restrain myself from letting the f-bombs fly with the kids in the car. Ruined my whole fucking day and still pisses me off everytime I see it. They're polished aluminum so not even sure it can be fixed.

the repairers can do any surface, even the polished aluminum aka "diamond cut" wheels

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why flames?

I can see flame on certain types of engines (designed to run at top RPM, mostly only), but not necessarily a Lambo.

The stock SVJ exhaust shows some fire but not like the Akropovic.  Was explained how/why it happens but I don’t recall.  Will look later.  
Last work day of the year then I’m gonna turn the brain off and recharge a few days.  Happy new year, gents...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why flames?

I can see flame on certain types of engines (designed to run at top RPM, mostly only), but not necessarily a Lambo.

Literally because of combustion inefficiency.  Many sportier cars bake in an exhaust option to make the crackling popcorn noises.  The noise/fire comes from extra fuel igniting in the exhaust by having dumped extra fuel there (like from overrich mixture) or changing the ignition timing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Literally because of combustion inefficiency.  Many sportier cars bake in an exhaust option to make the crackling popcorn noises.  The noise/fire comes from extra fuel igniting in the exhaust by having dumped extra fuel there (like from overrich mixture) or changing the ignition timing. 

I get that.  It has a "purpose" or reason in racing-type engines (hi rpm cam, maybe alcohol fuel).  It's foolish on a street car.  And if flames are coming out of an exhaust of any length, then that's really overrich.  Must go through cats like crazy.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the "flame" is actually a glowing plasma from superheated, but not overrich, exhaust.  That would make more sense.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Also, I won't judge, but I find this whole recent obsession with exhaust noise, to the point of actually sonically manufacturing it, completely absurd (here referring to the actual electronically manufactured exhaust noise, rather than whatever noise an aftermarket exhaust might make).

I like the sound of an overcammed flat crank V8 as much as anyone.  But I wouldn't want to live with one in a daily driver.  I have simply accepted that V8s are not part of my automotive universe anymore and learned to appreciate the sound whatever little engine I've got makes.

On 12/30/2020 at 7:40 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I get that.  It has a "purpose" or reason in racing-type engines (hi rpm cam, maybe alcohol fuel).  It's foolish on a street car.  And if flames are coming out of an exhaust of any length, then that's really overrich.  Must go through cats like crazy.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the "flame" is actually a glowing plasma from superheated, but not overrich, exhaust.  That would make more sense.

Cheesy?  Yes.  But you couldn't wipe the smile off my face when the 911 I rented in Stuttgart popped when I let off the gas.  Sport and Sport Plus mode for the win.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1130810_fiat-chrysler-and-psa-group-merger-approved-by-shareholders-now-called-stellantis

The merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and France's PSA Group to form Stellantis has been approved by the automakers' shareholders, the Associated Press reported Monday.

Stellantis will be the world's fourth largest automaker, behind the Volkswagen Group, Toyota, and the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, according to the report. The combined automakers sold 7.9 million units globally in 2019, down from 8.7 million in 2018. All that's left to do to complete the merger is issue a stock for the new company. That is expected to happen Jan. 18 in Europe and Jan. 19 in the U.S.

Announced in October 2019, the merger is nominally a 50/50 affair, though PSA will have a slight advantage. Current PSA CEO Carlos Tavares will serve as CEO of the merged company, and Stellantis' board will be made up of six members from PSA and five from FCA. Tavares could take control of the newly merged company as early as this month, while current FCA CEO Mike Manley will head Stellantis' North American operations, the AP reported.

Manufacturered exhaust note is stupid. I blame young people.