Interesting map. Oldest still in business company in almost every country.

crash_davis

1 hour ago, You don't know me said:

If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend going to the Shirley Plantation.  Some of Turn was filmed there.

Been there several times throughout the years. Beautiful Georgian architecture. Lots of  presidents, generals, and other dignitaries have spent time at Shirley. It sits among several other Kings grant plantations along the James River about 25 minutes east of Richmond, Va.

It was the first location in America to commercially produce bourbon.  Suck it Kentucky.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Onboard 2.0

just saw Kongo Gumi, Japan, 578, the oldest company in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongō_Gumi

Kongō Gumi Co., Ltd. (株式会社金剛組, Kabushiki Gaisha Kongō Gumi) is a Japanese construction company which was the world's oldest continuously ongoing independent company, operating for over 1,400 years. In January 2006, it became a subsidiary of Takamatsu.[1][2]

Headquartered in Osaka, the once family-owned construction company traced its origins to 578 AD when one of the skilled Korean immigrants, whom Prince Shōtoku invited from Baekje (one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea) to Japan to build the Buddhist temple Shitennō-ji, decided to start his own business. Over the centuries, Kongō Gumi participated in the construction of many famous buildings, including the 16th-century Osaka Castle.

A three-meter 17th-century scroll traces the 40 generations back to the company's start. As with many distinguished Japanese families, sons-in-law often joined the clan and took the Kongō family name. Thus, through the years, the line has continued through either a son or a daughter.

The company fell on hard times and went into liquidation in January 2006, and was purchased by the Takamatsu Construction Group.[3] Before its liquidation, it had as few as 100 employees and annual revenue of ¥7.5 billion ($70 million) in 2005; it still specialized in building Buddhist temples. The last president was Masakazu Kongō, the 50th Kongō to lead the firm. As of December 2006, Kongō Gumi continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Takamatsu.

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

england - the royal mint 886.  don't have time to look it up but which king gave them the charter?  alfred?  one of the other kings at the time?  maybe even a dane?

In 886 AD Alfred the Great recaptured London from the Danelaw and began issuing silver pennies bearing his portrait;[7] this is regarded as the start of the continuous history of the Royal Mint.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mint

• Like 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

http://www.shirleyplantation.com/

It may or may not be a full-fledged plantation but they sure as hell are looking to make revenue which if they are reporting earnings makes them a business.

Sure, but not straight through since the 17th century. It's been stopped, started, private, open to the public, etc... a bazillion times. It's right up the road from me, I've been there many times and I'm pretty familiar with it's history.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Sure, but not straight through since the 17th century. It's been stopped, started, private, open to the public, etc... a bazillion times. It's right up the road from me, I've been there many times and I'm pretty familiar with it's history.

They say it's been continuously incorporated as a business/corporation since 1638, that's what we were told last Fall during a visit.  It still farms the land around the home, has a gift shop, has events on the grounds for private parties, and conducts tours for profits that go back into the Shirley grounds fund.

As to whether it's been continuously active since then yeah ? There's debate that can go on around that point for sure.  The Civil War definitely put a crimp in it's profitability.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They say it's been continually incorporated as a business since 1638, that's what we were told last Fall during a visit.  It still farms the land around the home, has a gift ship, has events on the grounds for private parties, and conducts tours for profits that go back into the Shirley grounds fund.

As to whether it's been continuously active since then yeah ? There's debate that can go on around that point for sure.

It's not a debate, it was completely moth balled as recently as the 80s.

I mean, I love the place, don't misunderstand, but it has definitely not been an ongoing business the whole time. It was actually used for military purposes at one point

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

It's not a debate, it was completely moth balled as recently as the 80s.

I mean, I love the place, don't misunderstand, but it has definitely not been an ongoing business the whole time. It was actually used for military purposes at one point

I don't believe the titles of incorporation (if that's the correct term) were ever dissolved.  It's been in the same family (Hill, Carters I think ) since its creation.  Having a hard definition of what constitutes the oldest ongoing business would be helpful.  

But if it has been owned by the same family all that time it is still pretty unique for this country.

Puts to shame the little 100 acre Missouri farm started in the 1880s that has been in my family ever since. Luckily my brother drew the short straw and had to take it over after our dad passed 18 years ago. Quite a money pit 75% of the time.

Edited by Armybrat

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Kongō Gumi Co., Ltd. (株式会社金剛組, Kabushiki Gaisha Kongō Gumi) is a Japanese construction company which was the world's oldest continuously ongoing independent company, operating for over 1,400 years. In January 2006, it became a subsidiary of Takamatsu.[1][2]

Headquartered in Osaka, the once family-owned construction company traced its origins to 578 AD when one of the skilled Korean immigrants, whom Prince Shōtoku invited from Baekje (one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea) to Japan to build the Buddhist temple Shitennō-ji, decided to start his own business. Over the centuries, Kongō Gumi participated in the construction of many famous buildings, including the 16th-century Osaka Castle.

A three-meter 17th-century scroll traces the 40 generations back to the company's start. As with many distinguished Japanese families, sons-in-law often joined the clan and took the Kongō family name. Thus, through the years, the line has continued through either a son or a daughter.

The company fell on hard times and went into liquidation in January 2006, and was purchased by the Takamatsu Construction Group.[3] Before its liquidation, it had as few as 100 employees and annual revenue of ¥7.5 billion ($70 million) in 2005; it still specialized in building Buddhist temples. The last president was Masakazu Kongō, the 50th Kongō to lead the firm. As of December 2006, Kongō Gumi continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Takamatsu.

How would you like to be the fucker who was in charge when a family-owned company for 1,400 years "fell on hard times" and had to be sold? 

I don't think I could handle the disgrace.  Now imagine you're Japanese and that happens to you?

• Haha 1

I love gummy bears.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

How would you like to be the fucker who was in charge when a family-owned company for 1,400 years "fell on hard times" and had to be sold? 

I don't think I could handle the disgrace.  Now imagine you're Japanese and that happens to you?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-from-the-worlds-formerly-oldest-business/

Another Japanese business (as in another one not the one in the link above), a hot springs inn, is now the oldest because I think this other publication accurately does not count the bought-out Kongo Gumi anymore as it's now just a subsidiary of Takamatsu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiyama_Onsen_Keiunkan

Edited by Huckleberry

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

But if it has been owned by the same family all that time it is still pretty unique for this country.

Puts to shame the little 100 acre Missouri farm started in the 1880s that has been in my family ever since. Luckily my brother drew the short straw and had to take it over after our dad passed 18 years ago. Quite a money pit 75% of the time.

I just finished a large addition for a home that the same family lived in for 100 years and that was a pretty big deal around this area

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I just finished a large addition for a home that the same family lived in for 100 years and that was a pretty big deal around this area

And we are the oldest English part of the whole fucking country. Kinda puts it in perspective.

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

And we are the oldest English part of the whole fucking country. Kinda puts it in perspective.

It's something that just isn't seen that often anymore.  I know of 2 bicentennial farms that were in our area, and that was in 76.   That was a pretty big deal back then. One family owning the same land for 200 years.