GOT Hot Take

pepper brooks

I had lunch with a buddy who is basically a version of Mike TV from WWATCF.  Guy watches everything and remembers everything about every show.  We were discussing some of the most re-watchable series of all time.  We had a total polar opposite reaction to Game of Thrones.  His argument was that the first 7 seasons were so good that the ending couldn't tarnish it.  I had the exact opposite take that the ending was so poorly written, thought out rushed and lame that it rendered any re-watch and previous greatness neutered and the entire thing is nothing more than a colossal waste of time.  What say you, surly tv aficionados?

I wouldn't re watch it.  It was slipping well before the last season.  It was pretty much on the downhill when it really started taking off and became a cultural phenomenon, or whenever they passed the books for source materials.  I think the two probably happened around the same time.  It was a great spectacle and fun for a series to unite everyone each week in a binge heavy society, but there are much better things to re watch.

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

GOT's ending fell flat, but it doesn't tarnish the series as a whole IMO.  I'd still recommend it as a must watch to anyone who hasn't seen. 

Lost on the otherhand....

Lost can eat a Bob Stoops supersized bag of dicks.  Seriously, screw those guys.   

the show got shitty way before the final season. every season after season 4 failed to live up to the standard that had previously been set. there were plenty of downright awful episodes in seasons six and seven (that one with the dude from deadwood was embarrassingly bad), but there was still so much fanboyism for the show that anyone who stated as much was summarily shouted down by the angry mob. i mean Arya's entire storyline in Braavos alone was fucking stupid as hell and a giant waste of time. same with most of what happened in Dorne. same with Tyrion's character during that time. i could keep going on, but you get it. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the show got shitty way before the final season. every season after season 4 failed to live up to the standard that had previously been set. there were plenty of downright awful episodes in seasons six and seven (that one with the dude from deadwood was embarrassingly bad), but there was still so much fanboyism for the show that anyone who stated as much was summarily shouted down by the angry mob. i mean Arya's entire storyline in Braavos alone was fucking stupid as hell and a giant waste of time. same with most of what happened in Dorne. same with Tyrion's character during that time. i could keep going on, but you get it. 

The time in Braavos was too long granted but the payoff with Walder Frey and her having no fucks left in general was worth it IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

The time in Braavos was too long granted but the payoff with Walder Frey and her having no fucks left in general was worth it IMO.

we got one cool scene out of all that monotony, and then she never even used her skills ever again; skills you might have thought she would use if she were going to, i dunno, KILL THE NIGHT KING. fucking giant waste of what could have been an amazing storyline.

Somebody gifted me the whole GoT series on DVD for xmas. Started watching. When Ned dies I was like, OK. When they butcher a baby I was like, this show is fucking disgusting. When they stab Rob’s pregnant wife in the belly over and over, I checked out. Too much gratuitous violence for me.

doesn't matter what you use to calibrate a shit tv

i kid you not i had no problems, then again i don't try watching tv with all the lights on, with my ipad in my lap, the blinds open, in the middle of the afternoon, etc.

Edited by elfenix

Agreed. There were some great individual episodes, but in terms of the story, kind of killed it for me. Hoping the books with the extra Targ kid, etc., will be better. I would rather have Hodor on the melted throne than Bran.

44 minutes ago, elfenix said:

doesn't matter what you use to calibrate a shit tv

i kid you not i had no problems, then again i don't try watching tv with all the lights on, with my ipad in my lap, the blinds open, in the middle of the afternoon, etc.

did you watch on monitor or tv?

It’s a really silly take to say one episode ruined an entire series. Seinfeld’s last episode was terrible, does that ruin the entire series? The Sopranos has a pretty bad final episode, does that mean you won’t watch the series ever again?

No series of that length has great episodes every week and no series is ever going to be as good as the book.

And for the person complaining about the “gratuitous violence, GOT was obviously written with the Middle Ages in mind, the extreme violence shown in GOT (aside from the dragons) is no different than actual things tat were done during the Middle Ages.

Lulz at comparing it to Seinfeld. It was a mass adventure drama where people waited around for years to see what happened to the protagonists.  you don’t sit on the edge of your seats and theorize with your friends whether Jerry is going to be able to tell a good joke next week. “he did it! Everyone laughed! Good guys win!”

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, XYZ said:

Somebody gifted me the whole GoT series on DVD for xmas. Started watching. When Ned dies I was like, OK. When they butcher a baby I was like, this show is fucking disgusting. When they stab Rob’s pregnant wife in the belly over and over, I checked out. Too much gratuitous violence for me.

Uh, why did you pick it up in the first place?  I've heard many valid reasons to stop watching GOT, violence isn't one of them.  Did you think you were watching a Disney series?

Regarded

• Like 1

I don't think it ruined the show but the last season put a giant shit stain on the series for me.  It was my favorite series up to season 5 or 6.  Then I thought it was getting worse but still had some badass episodes like the battle of the bastards and when they fucking burned all of the golden company.  After the 2 fucking year wait, I was hoping they took their time to put a solid end to a badass series.  Instead it was a complete abortion.  This show as at the very top of my list.  Now I'd put it in the 4-6 range depending on my mood.  Still a fantastic series but not the best.

• Like 3