Greatest TV show other than the Big 3?

TexArcher

Somebody unthread mentioned M*A*S*H getting better after Trapper and Burns left, and Winchester came on board.  

One question, WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ??!!

Once Alda became the creative force, that show nose-dived into a steaming pile of self indulgent, feel good, I hate war shit.  Klinger alone should have been killed off long before he got center stage roles. Not funny at all when his cross dressing schtick was mothballed. 

EDIT:  upon re reading this post, I obviously have strong feelings apparently.  

I meant WTF is wrong with you in only the most encouraging of terms. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

For me...

1A - Sopranos

1B - Breaking Bad

2 - Mad Men

For some reason, I just can't get into The Wire.  Tried to fight through several times thinking it has to get better and I just don't care for it.  Wife is right there with me.  Hard to believe so many people can agree so much with those top 4 in no particular order, yet I just can't get into 1 of the 4 at all.

That said, I have no idea what the answer to the OP is.  Everything else is a pretty distant 4th to the above for me.  Probably next would be GoT, but that sorry-ass, lazy last season/ending took it down several notches in my book.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Winchester >>>>> Burns

Potter >>>>> Blake

Trapper >>>> BJ

Flagg >>>>> Everybody

Occasionally,  but not overall.  Burns is M*A*S*H 

Sometimes yes, very different type of character, and role.

Always and forever

Hell yes. One of my all time favorite bit part actors in any series ever.

21 hours ago, Deej said:

The Larry Sanders Show

I could argue that it's better than The Wire. It suffers in the comparison because it's a comedy while The Wire is such a deep and complex drama. But the writing and acting is incredibly tight and the last season of Larry may have been the best of the series. The same can't be said of The Wire. Larry really didn't have any weaknesses. Great casting, great acting, great writing, great guest stars, and great commentary on the real world late night talk show circus. And such a completely original idea that grew out of the real world competition to replace Carson. Fucking brilliant (RIP Garry).

30 minute sitcoms should be a separate discussion. 

Band of Brothers is the best thing ever produced for TV. Then there's The Wire and The Larry Sanders Show. Those are my top 3. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I tried. It's not funny. 

And that’s why comedies are hard to rank. It’s all about people’s individual sense of humor.

somebody who thinks 9-1-1 Lonestar is better than The Wire is a fucking moron

somebody who thinks Friends is better than The Office is a fucking moron, in my opinion

Edited by Sleep off ugly
Words and stuff

10 hours ago, Landomatic said:

For me...

1A - Sopranos

1B - Breaking Bad

2 - Mad Men

For some reason, I just can't get into The Wire.  Tried to fight through several times thinking it has to get better and I just don't care for it.  Wife is right there with me.  Hard to believe so many people can agree so much with those top 4 in no particular order, yet I just can't get into 1 of the 4 at all.

That said, I have no idea what the answer to the OP is.  Everything else is a pretty distant 4th to the above for me.  Probably next would be GoT, but that sorry-ass, lazy last season/ending took it down several notches in my book.

Wow.  I could have typed that response myself.  I didn't watch The Sopranos until well after the final season.  Once I started, it was the only show - that I can recall - where I would get excited by the HBO static intro.  All the way 'til the end.  GOT was like this for the first few seasons.  Breaking Bad and Mad Men were close.  

10 minutes ago, RPM said:

SNL is an institution. Naked and Afraid is a reality show, but it's entertaining.

SNL hasn't been funny in years. Just because it used to be funny doesn't make it funny now. The Simpsons was an institution at one time too. Do you still watch that show?

No one is afraid on Naked and Afraid and unless they're going to show me some pussy, or at least a female nipple, I'm going to have to take their word for it that they're naked. The occasional ass crack doesn't cut it. I think part of that show's appeal is the titillation of thinking there's actual nudity behind the pixelation. Like when we were kids watching the scrambled nudie channels. Is there? I don't know. And I don't care. I'm not a child anymore. It's a stupid, obviously scripted fake reality show. Wake me when a "contestant" (i.e. an actor hoping for an acting career) dies or suffers a serious injury. That will never happen because the insurance premiums would go through the roof. 

Bob's Burgers isn't funny. I wanted to like it. But it sucks. I like Kristen Schaal but her character is lame. Male actors doing the voices of female characters? Lame. And maybe sexist. Nothing interesting about it, anyway. 

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

The best “thing” ever produced for TV was Lonesome Dove.

The best drama series ever on Network TV was Hill Street Blues.

Carry on.

Band Of Brothers beats Lonesome Dove on several fronts IMO, but its all personal favorites here. The storyline of lonesome Dove is one of my favorites though.

Comedy shows are impossible to rank as comedy simply does not span generations what was considered funny back then usually isn't now. So shows  great in their time are not so much now,  Cheers doesn't hold up but is still watchable because Ted Danson is a treasure and it probably helps if you grew up in that period. But the Honeymooners and Gilligan's Island? What self respecting person would sit through that shit and think its good? Comedies also get stale if they go on too long, a joke is only funny so m any times. Arrested Development was brilliant when it came out and left you wanting more as it died a premature death but the new shit is just not the same. The Office was great, and then stayed on the air far too long. Parks and Rec was amazing and yet marred by a sub par final season. Don't even get me started on Always Sunny. Larry Sanders actually got better as the seasons went on but I think its because they changed the writers all the time. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Don't even get me started on Always Sunny. 

I disagree on this point. I think Always Sunny has remained pretty consistently funny (maybe for different reasons) and actually got funnier after they added DeVito.

Two series that belong in the conversation for dramas and comedies, respectively, are Mr. Robot and Veep.  I will watch those a couple of times through I’m guessing.

I wouldn’t necessarily put Mr. Robot top 3, but it’s fucking fantastic and I haven’t seen it mentioned. But Veep is an all-time comedy series for me. 

Mr. Robot was very good. Not Top 3, but it was entertaining and the acting was brilliant.

Haven't seen ER mentioned. The episodes up to where Greene died were gold. I'll admit it was on autopilot after that.

Edited by RPM