Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

DIS leaking oil heading into the earnings call later. Ordinarily, I would consider that a good sign for my puts, but who the hell knows. DIS will be interesting because they actually shut down the parks in China and Europe before the US parks, so they will have a bit more exposure than a lot of strictly US companies. Even with China supposedly ahead of the US, you will note that the China parks are not open yet, so I think its fair to say that the US parks will be closed through May and possibly even June. I'll be more interested in their comments related to the upcoming quarter and how rosy/bleak the overall tone of those comments are. I have til Sept on my puts, so even if DIS spikes this afternoon, I'm likely not bailing on my puts just yet. 

6 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Those DIS Q2 results are ug-ly considering the shit didn't really hit the fan until mid-late March.  

Not as ugly as I was expecting honestly. But the after hours movement was originally up and then flipped to sub 100, so i assume the earnings call can't be all rainbows and puppy dogs.  

We got stop hunted by a big fish on MVIS, which fair play I guess. What pisses me off though was that I had just plunked my TTI earnings into what I thought was a dip at 1.47, my buy triggered as I was entering a meeting and then the bottom absolutely fell out 30 seconds later, and then my stop loss triggered at 1.20 locking out most of my earnings. I'm back in at 1.27...

Hopefully it can push tomorrow and I'm out. Not going to play around with that call on Thursday. 

Also DECN newzzzzzzzz, makes me a little more hopeful when the suspension is lifted. Seems like this Keith Berman guy truly is in "F the SEC" mode which may actually be a great way to get the attention of Trump (it's NY affiliate so you know he's watching) like AYTU did with their UV throat thingy

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05/05/coronavirus-covid-19-decision-diagnostics-testing/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – With increasing calls to re-open the economy, public health experts agree that doing that safely depends almost entirely on testing – widespread, affordable, accurate and accessible testing.

The coronavirus tests that are presently available will not support a widescale return to normal.

Most of the so-called antibody tests are unreliable and it takes weeks for a person to make sufficient COVID-19 antibodies to be detectable.

The direct virus test has different drawbacks: The nasal swabs are unpleasant, the samples are prone to contamination, the tests are costly and it takes hours or days to get results.

Now a diabetes testing company called Decision Diagnostics Corp. says it has a test that solves all of those drawbacks. CFO Keith Berman calls it a game-changer.

“We’re the product of choice because it works, it works fast and because it’s affordable,” he said.

Berman says he was contacted by several large companies and FEMA to adapt it’s well-known diabetes testing technology into both a professional healthcare version and a home unit. Both are awaiting FDA approval.

It works by taking a finger-prick drop of blood and, through sophisticated micro-processing, arrives at a result within 30 to 45 seconds. The device costs $15 and the test strip kit costs $30. That’s why companies are interested.

“Businesses can test their workers as often as they want, in a matter of seconds, everyday if they like,” said Berman.

It’s not free, but it is an affordable enough technology that could open up restaurants, movies, all manner of businesses and group venues.

The company hopes to have all the FDA-mandated testing done by next week. If approved, Berman says they could ship as many as 100,000 units immediately and be making up to 400,000 a week within 60 days.

• Like 1

A follow-up note on Disney. They are planning on opening up Disney Shanghai next week (closed on Jan25). It will open with particular restrictions, including no more than 30% capacity, masked guests, and temperature checks at the gate. Currently DIS  has furloughed 100K workers which will help stem the bleeding while US parks are closed, but I'm guessing you have to bring back more than 30% of employees to keep them operational to Disney standards, even if they can only allow 30% occupancy. Disney may be more profitable with the damn things closed. They also cancelled plans for their upcoming 6 month dividend to save another billion, but it was a pretty meager dividend to begin with. At least they have ESPN and their movie business to fall back on.....oh wait. 

2 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

We got stop hunted by a big fish on MVIS, which fair play I guess. What pisses me off though was that I had just plunked my TTI earnings into what I thought was a dip at 1.47, my buy triggered as I was entering a meeting and then the bottom absolutely fell out 30 seconds later, and then my stop loss triggered at 1.20 locking out most of my earnings. I'm back in at 1.27...

Hopefully it can push tomorrow and I'm out. Not going to play around with that call on Thursday. 

Also DECN newzzzzzzzz, makes me a little more hopeful when the suspension is lifted. Seems like this Keith Berman guy truly is in "F the SEC" mode which may actually be a great way to get the attention of Trump (it's NY affiliate so you know he's watching) like AYTU did with their UV throat thingy

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05/05/coronavirus-covid-19-decision-diagnostics-testing/

Ya I’m hoping a big mvis opening and I will pull the trigger. I’d love to see anything north of 2

Again, more stonky than serious market talk but I have a very sizable position on Boeing with its plummeting throughout the day. Avg’d in at 128.39 total. It’s been a resilient sonovabitch every time it’s flirted with 130 since its huge crash 6 wks ago.

23 minutes ago, bluto said:

Set a limit order for purchase at $1.57 and it filled in extended hours yesterday. Wake up today and see my purchase price was changed to $1.68. How the f does that happen?

Someone on reddit said they had that happen too. That’s weird. Now if the damn stock would start going north that would be great 

24 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Got squirrelly and went long 25 BYND overnight. Glad I did.

BYND is fucking killing me.  Wrote a covered call 5/8 @ 100 against my position cause like a dumbass I was trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of the thing. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

BYND is fucking killing me.  Wrote a covered call 5/8 @ 100 against my position cause like a dumbass I was trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of the thing. 

Oof. Sorry, man. Maybe it’ll crater in the next couple days? 

I’ve begun treating BYND like TSLA, mostly in terms of its extreme irrationality. It’s turned my performance with it around.

3 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

I’ve begun treating BYND like TSLA, mostly in terms of its extreme irrationality. It’s turned my performance with it around.

I'm not gonna cry too hard. 65% return in a month. Maybe the BYND CEO will pull an Elon and tweet out something "BYND is too damn high1!"

15 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

i left some good cash on the table with BYND with both options and the underlying.  i thought positive earnings would lift it from the 90s which it had been all week, to just above 100... so got out at 105 in afterhours trading.  oof.

Since there is no RMD from our IRA this year I'm thinking of taking that amount anyway and putting the after tax net into my puny Roth.  For some damned reason my investing skills have been better in the IRA than in the Roth, yet nothing to brag about in the IRA either.  

Note:  I'm almost 80 and I'm told it is foolish to convert any money into Roth at this age.  If the market tanks, as I think it might, this would probably be a bad decision.  The IRA would become less valuable and subject to smaller future RMD taxes.  However, if the market continues to muddle along wouldn't it make sense to at least juice my under performing Roth?

I’ve shook off my stonking and am keep BYND a long hold. Plant based “meats” will never go away and will only grow. When discussing my desire for free-range chicken and natural beef at a food innovation conference a few years ago...an older scientist asked me “what are we going to do when we are inhabiting space?” 

Companies like BYND will be figuring that out.

5 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I’ve shook off my stonking and am keep BYND a long hold. Plant based “meats” will never go away and will only grow. When discussing my desire for free-range chicken and natural beef at a food innovation conference a few years ago...an older scientist asked me “what are we going to do when we are inhabiting space?” 

Agreed. I bought some sub $100 but not near enough.

3 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

For BA, I’m expecting to hold for at least a year or two. That’s just me. 

I agree that it will take about that long for travel to return, and the demand for planes. And if BA can ever get the 737 Max back in the air, then airlines will want the most efficient planes to keep operating costs as low as possible. 
I'm thinking about some 9-18 month calls, expensive but much better investment if normal ever returns to the airline industry. And I'd rather spend my 1% investment on options then on the stock - because #stonk investors/gamblers would rather YOLO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Agreed. IMO, the future of food isn’t old school agriculture. 

• Like 1

So, I’m sitting on short-term (2-4 week exp) PTON, ROKU, SQ, and TWLO calls. I bought them late, but am up 10-30%. With the last couple days’ climb, I suspect we’re gonna see an afternoon and/or post-earnings-call, after hours sell-off, and I should take my profits soon. However, I’m curious if anyone sees something different. 

1 hour ago, The People’s Elbow said:

So, I’m sitting on short-term (2-4 week exp) PTON, ROKU, SQ, and TWLO calls. I bought them late, but am up 10-30%. With the last couple days’ climb, I suspect we’re gonna see an afternoon and/or post-earnings-call, after hours sell-off, and I should take my profits soon. However, I’m curious if anyone sees something different. 

I just started a PTON position...figure they are in a good spot right now for pure growth. I was also looking at SQ this AM...it’s already moved a lot back up, I hesitated on putting cash there today, so it’ll go up for sure. 

for me ROKU sort of competes too much with big tech dongles...but I’ve been wrong for 100 pts on that one. 

Walked with just under $3K today, but I’m classic fail fashion, I got my after hours positions wrong — sold all my TWLO calls and kept a couple SQ and PTON calls (just in case). Had it backwards: TWLO pops and the others sell off. Womp. That’s the game. 

Still a solid day. 

Edited by The People’s Elbow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess MSFT isn't buying out MVIS after all.  It seems that rumor comes around at least once every couple of years for the last 15 years.

Oh well, I will add it to the scratch-off Lotto ticket loss pile and move on.

I'm bag holding a few hundred shares, any acquisition news would come May 19th at the shareholders meeting not today at the ER

Edited by RCRanger03