Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

About the time this thread went quiescent was when my formerly rocket fueled stonks stopped flying.

IBRX, AMYZF, and ALPP.  Come on boys time to rally.

Funny story.  My son had bought ALPP based on my recommendation in the low 3s.  He sold at 5.4 last week, and is waiting for new entry point.  I feel kind of dumb for entering his orders and not doing anything with mine...

I got a small chunk in uuuu and an option for January....what is your thought on adding other uranium stocks...I'm eyeballing denison which is under 1.20$ a share currently

We expecting a run up across the board or just uuuu is the best play?

3 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

I got a small chunk in uuuu and an option for January....what is your thought on adding other uranium stocks...I'm eyeballing denison which is under 1.20$ a share currently

i have some URG. should have bought it 6 months ago but it should move up along with the rest of the uranium stocks.

• Like 1

i have some URG. should have bought it 6 months ago but it should move up along with the rest of the uranium stocks.
I went ahead and just added some denison...go uranium go!

Probably sell it if I get a nice spike and hold uuuu long

56 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

I love UUUU.  The  company is debt-free, has an inventory of processed uranium and vanadium, and has one of the few operating uranium mills in North America. On top of that, they’re moving into rare earths with the capability to supply up to half or more of the US demand. It’s a good story.  I believe we’re in the very early stages of a boom-period for commodities and buying this stock at this price can make you serious dinero.  To that end, I own 25,000 shares of UUUU at an avg. price of $5.28.  If you want more uranium, look at CCJ.

• Like 3

I love UUUU.  The  company is debt-free, has an inventory of processed uranium and vanadium, and has one of the few operating uranium mills in North America. On top of that, they’re moving into rare earths with the capability to supply up to half or more of the US demand. It’s a good story.  I believe we’re in the very early stages of a boom-period for commodities and buying this stock at this price can make you serious dinero.  To that end, I own 25,000 shares of UUUU at an avg. price of $5.28.  If you want more uranium, look at CCJ.
I followed you in uuuu...put 500$ in denison for 430 shares that I'll sell if it has a nice run up.
I'll check out the other one

38 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I read more into the company and I'm not seeing an upside on it, what am I missing? 

They technically have no debt only because of their stock piles of uranium and vanadium, of which in 2020 they sold no uranium at all, none. They have "opted" to not enter into any sales commitments for 2021 instead looking to stock pile until prices rise (note they have been falling for a long time).  They also had no material sales of vanadium in 2020 and again and just stock piled.  The company has no plans to mine vanadium in 2021, none. Their stock pile increases show that they are running only one of their mines at low capacity. Produced 196,500 pounds, licensed for 8 million.  It's one of the few operating in NA because the others decided there was no money in it and better mining opportunities existed elsewhere. Operating losses continue to rise.

56 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I read more into the company and I'm not seeing an upside on it, what am I missing? 

They technically have no debt only because of their stock piles of uranium and vanadium, of which in 2020 they sold no uranium at all, none. They have "opted" to not enter into any sales commitments for 2021 instead looking to stock pile until prices rise (note they have been falling for a long time).  They also had no material sales of vanadium in 2020 and again and just stock piled.  The company has no plans to mine vanadium in 2021, none. Their stock pile increases show that they are running only one of their mines at low capacity. Produced 196,500 pounds, licensed for 8 million.  It's one of the few operating in NA because the others decided there was no money in it and better mining opportunities existed elsewhere. Operating losses continue to rise.

https://www.energyfuels.com/2021-03-22-Energy-Fuels-Announces-2020-Results-Including-Robust-Balance-Sheet-Market-Leading-U-S-Uranium-Production-Upcoming-Commencement-of-Rare-Earth-Production-Webcast-on-Tuesday-March-23-2021#:~:text=The Company had an operating,to %2440.6 million during 2019.&text=On September 14%2C 2020%2C the,Agreement ("RSA").

Do some more reading.    

Edited by Harrison Stafford

31 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Honestly trying to see what you are seeing. I've read this release shows sales 2018 31.0M, 2019 5.8M, 2020 1.6M, obviously not a good trend.

Talks a lot of maybes and about best positioned "US company", but it doesn't sound like their markets is US only or even mainly and better competitors exist at a better value elsewhere.

To me it sounds like they are putting too much value at being the top US company.

Here is this thing:

Uranium market update, one of the biggest catalysts to date is about to be in place.

To say we had an interesting few weeks in the uranium sector would be a massive understatement. We have seen new geopolitical support for nuclear power and a massive new catalyst in the form of the newly formed Sprott Uranium Trust (more on that later). There was also a new version released of the Bear Traps Report, a popular type of newsletter that in the words of John Quakes is “send to thousands of Wall Street money managers”. It is also believed that the initial run up was sparked by the sharing of a similar Bear Traps Report article around November/December of last year, sparking the first leg up with institutional capital positioning in the sector. There is \*a lot\* happening beneath the surface and the coming few months will, in my view, prove to be significant.

Here is the first part of the Bear Traps Report with my own added comments as well:

In 2020, six nuclear reactors were connected to the gnd. Of these, Belarus and the UAE opened their first nuclear reactors. This, despite the pandemic. We expect this trend to continue over the balance of the century. There are currently 108 planned nuclear reactors globally at various stages of the approval funding process. Different countries get different percentages from nuclear reactors, a sample: China, 4.9%; India, 3.2%, Japan, 7.5%, UK 15.6%, USA, 19.7%. The take away is that between China, the UK and the USA, alone, there is plenty of potential growth in nuclear reactor electricity supply and, of course, these countries have the financial wherewithal to fund the requisite nuclear reactors to go green should consensus so direct.

Production from mining (in tonnes U) for 2019 was. 22,808 from Kazakhstan: 6,938 from Canada, 6,613 from Australia, 5,476 from Namibia, estimated 3,500 from Uzbekistan 2,983 from Russia, estimated 1,885 from China, 801 from Ukraine, and 67 from the USA Production in the U.S. has been in steady decline: 2014 = 1,919, 2015 = 1,256, 2016 = 1,125, 2017 = 940, 2018 = 582, 2019 = 67.

The main takeaway here is there is a seemingly strong geopolitical risk component to Uranium supply. U.S. production has essentially evaporated, an extremely bullish fact for forward Uranium pricing given Biden's pro-nuclear stance. Production of Uranium concentrate in the U.S. has fallen steeply and steadily (pounds U308): 2,422,789 for 2017, 1,446,496 for 2018, 173,875 for 2019. In the first quarter of 2020-8,989 vs 58,481 in first quarter 2019 vs 226,780 first quarter 2018 and 450,215 first quarter of 2017.

Overall, nuclear power provides about 11% of global electricity output. Demand grows alapually in the single digits. Because of low prices, global Uranium supply is down 25%. If prices double, mines will reopen and consolidate. If the U.S. alone decides to go big on nuclear prices will at least double. And assuming prices double, supply will be adequate to power U.S. nuclear ambitions. It goes both ways. The U.S. produces but 7% of its own demand, with 93% dependent on imports. "For strategic issues such as power supply and defense, this is not a healthy situation, and therefore the plan was made for a strategic stockpile, "Gabi Schneider, the executive director of the Namibian Uranium Institute, explains, adding it is ultimately the US's goal to expand uranium production domestically in order to shrink, or halt outright, U.S. imports of Uranium.

The U.S. goverment's Uranium strategic stockpile effort passed last December is a key, and telling, first step. At the state level, legislatures have begun passing laws that set up support for nuclear reactors. This represents a big shift from half a century ago. The Biden administration is pro-nuclear power. China's nuclear reactor capacity is set to grow from 46 GWe in 2020 to 108 GWe by 2030. We expect ground to be broken for nuclear reactors over the balance of this decade in Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Poland. Projects have begun in Turkey, Bangladesh and Egypt. So it's not just a question of the wealthiest countries jumping in.

Consensus thought on Uranium has been remarkably stupid, missing the supply cuts, missing the 5x move in conversion prices (UF6), missing the 40% rise in SWU (enrichment) prices, and missing the recent run up in spot prices (U308). Basically, consensus can't even think one step ahead when it comes to basic economics. It didn't occur to them that money losing mines would be shut down.

The US needs to guarantee greater uranium supply. For that it needs U.S. mines to reopen and consolidate. For that Uranium prices have to double. The new U.S. Uranium stockpile could prove a key component to that price shift. Uranium just entered supply deficit Kazakhstan's Uranium production forecast is for its Uranium production to peak next year and to go into serious decline post 2030.

All of this comes down to one simple fact, it is that we are running out of time for uranium prices to get going and the longer this doesn’t happen, the higher the eventual price overshoot to try and make up for a decade of lost capex investments and exploration. If utilities come to the table within the next 12 months, some form of price control can be asserted and perhaps a slower run up into a price of roughly 60-65 dollars with a small overshoot to around 80 dollars by 2024 might be the most probable scenario. If they don’t though, we might be looking at triple digit uranium once more. One massive new catalyst that was brought to the table recently was the fact the coming into existence of the Sprott Uranium Trust. The bear traps report names 9 reasons why this will likely have significant implications for the broad uranium market:

Uranium Participation Corp was a company that was buying U and sitting on it, the original yellow cake. The market will now have daily price discovery and a retail / family office / small asset manager speculation vehicle. This is a game changer. Now we have a new team taking over (Sprott). Very bullish for uranium. Why? Here is why:

1. We are getting a U.S. listed vehicle with a physical redemption Like a GLD for uranium. Look at PSLV and PHYS, equivalent.

2. A new mechanism for retail, institutional. An at the market facility. Technically a closed end fund, NOT a GLD.

3. Pounds come in, don't go out. They could do a buyback if the market provides that opportunity.

4. Uranium Participation Corp is tough to buy, pink sheet. Many online brokers didn’t offer it, but now there will be a new liquidity vehicle that is far more widely available.

5. Management transition from Denison to Sprott. Think Industry player to real asset mgr.

6. When there is large premium new buyers are vulnerable. This has suppressed upside momentum NOW there is a liquid vehicle, large buyers can come in with a liquidity work out.

7. Next, Sprott does a big offering to bring in new pounds into the fund. There was too much inventory of uranium in the system, this vehicle will eliminate this problem. New size buyers of the fund will quickly translate into spot buying!

8. Think CME and oil this could be a new real franchise /a liquidity central facility

9. Management take over might take 2/3 months. Then the premium U Part will come in, was 16% today in a month or so Dan Loeb can come in and buy $100m without the premium risk pounds will permanently be removed from the mkt NOT an ETF, it’s a closed end fund. A discount may develop in the shares but new buyers are in a much better spot.

That marks the end of this uranium market update and I hope you enjoyed the read. With so much happening both in front as well as behind the scenes, hopefully I can be of aid to help you traverse this opaque market in the best way possible. We are at the foot of what will undoubtably prove to be a generational event, but it will be an extremely volatile and wild market all the way up and eventually down as well. If you got any questions or comments, my dm’s are always open. As always I wish you all a good and healthy rest of your day and good luck out there in the markets, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Fuck is always overpriced.

Yes, but each buy immediately begins losing its value. If you get married to it, value continues to steadily decrease, and you’re always left holding a bag. Selling the bag creates a huge loss with no tax benefit. It’s best to continually trade at the top and not hold any position for very long. To the unwise it seems irresponsible, with all the trading fees, but it’s better for your long term growth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Here is this thing:

Uranium market update, one of the biggest catalysts to date is about to be in place.

To say we had an interesting few weeks in the uranium sector would be a massive understatement. We have seen new geopolitical support for nuclear power and a massive new catalyst in the form of the newly formed Sprott Uranium Trust (more on that later). There was also a new version released of the Bear Traps Report, a popular type of newsletter that in the words of John Quakes is “send to thousands of Wall Street money managers”. It is also believed that the initial run up was sparked by the sharing of a similar Bear Traps Report article around November/December of last year, sparking the first leg up with institutional capital positioning in the sector. There is \*a lot\* happening beneath the surface and the coming few months will, in my view, prove to be significant.

Here is the first part of the Bear Traps Report with my own added comments as well:

In 2020, six nuclear reactors were connected to the gnd. Of these, Belarus and the UAE opened their first nuclear reactors. This, despite the pandemic. We expect this trend to continue over the balance of the century. There are currently 108 planned nuclear reactors globally at various stages of the approval funding process. Different countries get different percentages from nuclear reactors, a sample: China, 4.9%; India, 3.2%, Japan, 7.5%, UK 15.6%, USA, 19.7%. The take away is that between China, the UK and the USA, alone, there is plenty of potential growth in nuclear reactor electricity supply and, of course, these countries have the financial wherewithal to fund the requisite nuclear reactors to go green should consensus so direct.

Production from mining (in tonnes U) for 2019 was. 22,808 from Kazakhstan: 6,938 from Canada, 6,613 from Australia, 5,476 from Namibia, estimated 3,500 from Uzbekistan 2,983 from Russia, estimated 1,885 from China, 801 from Ukraine, and 67 from the USA Production in the U.S. has been in steady decline: 2014 = 1,919, 2015 = 1,256, 2016 = 1,125, 2017 = 940, 2018 = 582, 2019 = 67.

The main takeaway here is there is a seemingly strong geopolitical risk component to Uranium supply. U.S. production has essentially evaporated, an extremely bullish fact for forward Uranium pricing given Biden's pro-nuclear stance. Production of Uranium concentrate in the U.S. has fallen steeply and steadily (pounds U308): 2,422,789 for 2017, 1,446,496 for 2018, 173,875 for 2019. In the first quarter of 2020-8,989 vs 58,481 in first quarter 2019 vs 226,780 first quarter 2018 and 450,215 first quarter of 2017.

Overall, nuclear power provides about 11% of global electricity output. Demand grows alapually in the single digits. Because of low prices, global Uranium supply is down 25%. If prices double, mines will reopen and consolidate. If the U.S. alone decides to go big on nuclear prices will at least double. And assuming prices double, supply will be adequate to power U.S. nuclear ambitions. It goes both ways. The U.S. produces but 7% of its own demand, with 93% dependent on imports. "For strategic issues such as power supply and defense, this is not a healthy situation, and therefore the plan was made for a strategic stockpile, "Gabi Schneider, the executive director of the Namibian Uranium Institute, explains, adding it is ultimately the US's goal to expand uranium production domestically in order to shrink, or halt outright, U.S. imports of Uranium.

The U.S. goverment's Uranium strategic stockpile effort passed last December is a key, and telling, first step. At the state level, legislatures have begun passing laws that set up support for nuclear reactors. This represents a big shift from half a century ago. The Biden administration is pro-nuclear power. China's nuclear reactor capacity is set to grow from 46 GWe in 2020 to 108 GWe by 2030. We expect ground to be broken for nuclear reactors over the balance of this decade in Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Poland. Projects have begun in Turkey, Bangladesh and Egypt. So it's not just a question of the wealthiest countries jumping in.

Consensus thought on Uranium has been remarkably stupid, missing the supply cuts, missing the 5x move in conversion prices (UF6), missing the 40% rise in SWU (enrichment) prices, and missing the recent run up in spot prices (U308). Basically, consensus can't even think one step ahead when it comes to basic economics. It didn't occur to them that money losing mines would be shut down.

The US needs to guarantee greater uranium supply. For that it needs U.S. mines to reopen and consolidate. For that Uranium prices have to double. The new U.S. Uranium stockpile could prove a key component to that price shift. Uranium just entered supply deficit Kazakhstan's Uranium production forecast is for its Uranium production to peak next year and to go into serious decline post 2030.

All of this comes down to one simple fact, it is that we are running out of time for uranium prices to get going and the longer this doesn’t happen, the higher the eventual price overshoot to try and make up for a decade of lost capex investments and exploration. If utilities come to the table within the next 12 months, some form of price control can be asserted and perhaps a slower run up into a price of roughly 60-65 dollars with a small overshoot to around 80 dollars by 2024 might be the most probable scenario. If they don’t though, we might be looking at triple digit uranium once more. One massive new catalyst that was brought to the table recently was the fact the coming into existence of the Sprott Uranium Trust. The bear traps report names 9 reasons why this will likely have significant implications for the broad uranium market:

Uranium Participation Corp was a company that was buying U and sitting on it, the original yellow cake. The market will now have daily price discovery and a retail / family office / small asset manager speculation vehicle. This is a game changer. Now we have a new team taking over (Sprott). Very bullish for uranium. Why? Here is why:

1. We are getting a U.S. listed vehicle with a physical redemption Like a GLD for uranium. Look at PSLV and PHYS, equivalent.

2. A new mechanism for retail, institutional. An at the market facility. Technically a closed end fund, NOT a GLD.

3. Pounds come in, don't go out. They could do a buyback if the market provides that opportunity.

4. Uranium Participation Corp is tough to buy, pink sheet. Many online brokers didn’t offer it, but now there will be a new liquidity vehicle that is far more widely available.

5. Management transition from Denison to Sprott. Think Industry player to real asset mgr.

6. When there is large premium new buyers are vulnerable. This has suppressed upside momentum NOW there is a liquid vehicle, large buyers can come in with a liquidity work out.

7. Next, Sprott does a big offering to bring in new pounds into the fund. There was too much inventory of uranium in the system, this vehicle will eliminate this problem. New size buyers of the fund will quickly translate into spot buying!

8. Think CME and oil this could be a new real franchise /a liquidity central facility

9. Management take over might take 2/3 months. Then the premium U Part will come in, was 16% today in a month or so Dan Loeb can come in and buy $100m without the premium risk pounds will permanently be removed from the mkt NOT an ETF, it’s a closed end fund. A discount may develop in the shares but new buyers are in a much better spot.

That marks the end of this uranium market update and I hope you enjoyed the read. With so much happening both in front as well as behind the scenes, hopefully I can be of aid to help you traverse this opaque market in the best way possible. We are at the foot of what will undoubtably prove to be a generational event, but it will be an extremely volatile and wild market all the way up and eventually down as well. If you got any questions or comments, my dm’s are always open. As always I wish you all a good and healthy rest of your day and good luck out there in the markets, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great info, thanks

16 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Honestly trying to see what you are seeing. I've read this release shows sales 2018 31.0M, 2019 5.8M, 2020 1.6M, obviously not a good trend.

Talks a lot of maybes and about best positioned "US company", but it doesn't sound like their markets is US only or even mainly and better competitors exist at a better value elsewhere.

To me it sounds like they are putting too much value at being the top US company.

Sales have dropped because UUUU has been stockpiling uranium and vanadium waiting to sell both at higher prices.   UUUU is the largest producer of United States Uranium and operates the only licensed Uranium mill in the country. As commodity prices rise,  UUUU is going to make a shit ton of money and the stock price will head north quickly.  When Uranium prices went crazy in 2006-2007, the stock peaked around $235.  All of this without even taking into account UUUU's foray into rare earths as the country moves to lessen it's dependence on China for REE's.  Buy the stock at this price and the potential is there for you to make some heavy coin.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Amyzf in talks with multiple Korean companies about a partnership. http://m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php?ud=20210506000311&ud=20210506000311&__twitter_impression=true

Spoiler

[Herald Interview] American Manganese on lookout for opportunities in Korea

By Kim Byung-wook

Published : May 6, 2021 - 16:31
Updated : May 6, 2021 - 22:13

restmb_idxmake_amp.php?idx=680&simg=%2Fcontent%2Fimage%2F2021%2F05%2F04%2F20210504000929_0.jpg

Cap/ American Manganese CEO Larry Reaugh (second from right) and chief technology officer Zarko Meseldzija (third from right) pose for a photo in front of the company’s battery recycling system. (American Manganese)

American Manganese, a Vancouver-based critical metals company, is seeking to tap into the South Korean battery market with its exclusive technology to extract key metals from defective batteries.

In an interview with The Korea Herald, its chief executive officer Larry Reaugh and chief technology officer Zarko Meseldzija revealed that the firm is in talks with multiple companies for partnership in Korea, home to three of the world’s leading lithium-ion battery makers.

“We are thinking about licensing or joint development,” said Meseldzija, the CTO, although declining to provide specific names due to non-disclosure agreements.

In what appears to be a related move, the company is currently finalizing the registration of its core battery recycling technology with the Korean Intellectual Property Office. The firm received a notice of allowance in March from the patent office, which indicates that the given technology has cleared the office’s vetting process and is ready to be issued a patent.

The move comes as battery recycling gains traction globally amid growing environmental and supply chain concerns.

In South Korea, industry leader LG Energy Solution will send defective batteries to Posco’s recycling facilities to be set up Poland and in Korea. Poland is LGES’ production base for Europe. According to sources with the knowledge of the deal, Posco will grind up defective batteries into fine powder to extract critical metals such as nickel, cobalt and manganese from it.

In the lithium-ion battery field where defect rates during the manufacturing process tend to be high, mining valuable materials from defective products should be a necessity, the company said.

At Tesla, from 2017 to 2019, about 39 percent of electric vehicle batteries manufactured at its Gigafactory 1 in Nevada were defective. Through years of optimization, LGES’ 70 gigawatt-hour battery factory in Poland recently managed to reach yield rate over 90 percent, which means around 10 percent of what’s produced there are still being thrown away.

American Manganese executives said their solution is a logical and economical answer to the issue.

“To me, this is just another mining project. If you don’t come up with proper solutions before you go into (battery) production, you won’t stay in the production,” CEO Reaugh said.

Meseldzija added: “Imagine you have a battery manufacturing facility, and it’s producing maybe 10-20 percent of scraps from their process. That’s an opportunity to integrate a recycling process within that facility and recycle them directly back to high-quality materials that can be used for remanufacturing of batteries.”

Lithium-ion batteries, defective or not, contain cathodes which are made of expensive metals such as nickel and cobalt and account for 25 percent of the cost of a whole battery.

American Manganese claims it can extract metals inside cathodes 99.7 percent with 99.9 percent purity.

restmb_idxmake_amp.php?idx=680&simg=%2Fcontent%2Fimage%2F2021%2F05%2F04%2F20210504000931_0.jpg

Conventional recycling method involves physically shredding and smelting batteries with high heat, which requires fossil fuels and therefore generates about 2 metric tons of carbon dioxide per ton of metal. It can also only retrieve around 40-60 percent of nickel and cobalt and can’t recover lithium at all.

American Manganese uses a more effective method by dipping cathode scraps inside acid in a closed-loop system. After six to seven cycles, lithium and metals inside cathodes are retrieved almost 100 percent.

According to Meseldzija, a 10 gigawatt-hour battery plant spends $271 million on cathode materials annually. Assuming the plant’s yield rate is 90 percent, 10 percent or $27.1 million would be lost. By building American Manganese’s recycling facility -- worth $15-20 million -- that can process 5 tons of cathodes per day, millions of dollars can be salvaged, he claims.

restmb_idxmake_amp.php?idx=680&simg=%2Fcontent%2Fimage%2F2021%2F05%2F04%2F20210504000932_0.jpg

In March, American Manganese signed an agreement with EV battery startup Italvolt to develop a commercial recycling plant alongside the Milan-based company’s 45 gigawatt-hour Gigafactory in Scarmagno, Italy, set for completion in 2024.

Aside from economic reasons, protectionist policies and environmental regulations can nudge battery manufacturers to integrate a recycling system within their factories, the company executives added.

“When you look at the policies and new legislation coming in place in North America and Europe, there are going to be protectionist policies (as witnessed by) US President Joe Biden and (his emphasis on) the critical material supply. Those supplies will be avoided, or there’s going to be a policy that prevents them from being shipped outside of certain jurisdictions,” the CTO said.

Meseldzija pointed to Tesla who decided to build a recycling facility at its Shanghai factory last month. The facility will reproduce key components such as battery cells to reduce the impact of its products and operations on the environment, as China is also adding rules to encourage electric vehicle makers to recycle essential components.

Meanwhile, SK Innovation, a local battery maker, claims to have developed an independent technology that works similarly to that of American Manganese’s. SKI says the technology can retrieve lithium and critical metals inside cathodes over 99 percent.

On April 29, the firm signed an agreement with automaker Kia to collect spent batteries from its electric vehicles and extract key metals to reuse them for the manufacturing of new batteries. SKI did not specify if it will use its own technology or borrow a third-party expertise for it. It is also unclear whether the deal involves construction of a new recycling facility to be directly run by SKI

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hubba, hubba campers.....

Nuclear On Verge Of ESG Inclusion: White House To Subsidize Existing Nuclear Power Plants

In a move that may infuriate environmentalists and delight investors in uranium stocks (who already saw a surge in their portfolios on Monday following our weekend report “This Is A Game-Changer For Uranium Stocks“) Reuters reports that the White House has privately signaled to lawmakers and stakeholders in recent weeks (so as not to reveal to the broader public) that it supports taxpayer subsidies to keep existing nuclear facilities from closing, bending to the reality that it needs these plants to meet its deliriously aggressively climate goals (which were dissected recently by Bloomberg in “The U.S. Will Need a Lot of Land for a Zero-Carbon Economy“).

The new subsidies in the form of “production tax credits,” would likely be swept into President Joe Biden’s multi-trillion-dollar legislative effort to invest in the nation’s infrastructure and jobs, the Reuters sources said. More importantly being on par with other more “green” sources of energy, it likely means that it is now just a matter of time before even the most rabid members of the ESG crew are forced to admit nuclear to their cool crowd. Wind and solar power producers already get these tax rebates based on levels of energy they generate.

As revealed last month, Biden wants the US power industry to be emissions free by 2035, a schedule which is unachievable without the benefit of nuclear power which as shown below has among the lowest land area footprints…

c7049b1e3c331682768d5b2a7c6db3f5.jpg?res

… and unless the US wants to be covered in reneweable sources of energy, it will have no choice but to support and expand its current NPP arsenal.

6dec78c302fe5be3928287cc06a52b3e.jpg?res

Biden is also asking Congress to extend or create tax credits aimed at wind, solar and battery manufacturing as part of his $2.3 trillion American Jobs Plan.

The US has more than 90 nuclear reactors, the most in the world, and the business is the country’s top source of emissions-free power generation. But as discussed here previously, these aging plants have been closing, some as recently as last month, due to rising security costs and competition from plentiful natural gas, wind and solar power, which are rapidly becoming less pricey.

Losing more nuclear plants could make Biden’s zero-emissions goal challenging, if not impossible, analysts have said.

And the punchline: a source quoted by Reuters engaged in the talks and familiar with the White House thinking, said what may be the magic word for far greater gains ahead for uranium stocks, namely that “there’s a deepening understanding within the administration that it needs nuclear to meet its zero-emission goals.” 

As we reported earlier this week, New York state’s Indian Point nuclear power plant closed its last reactor on April 30. In Illinois, Exelon Corp threatened to close four reactors at two plants by November, if the state does not implement subsidies.

There is another reason why Biden will cave: the plants provide thousands of union jobs that pay some of the highest salaries in the energy business. Biden’s allies in the building trades unions have lobbied the White House for the production tax credits. The credits also have the support of Democratic Senator Joe Manchin, a moderate from the energy-rich state of West Virginia, who holds outsized power in the evenly divided Senate because he can to block his party’s agenda.

As Reuters adds, preliminary plans for a federal nuclear power production tax credit in deregulated markets bar companies from double-dipping in states that offer similar assistance, according to one of the sources. Companies also would have to prove financial hardship, the source said.

While Biden pledged in his campaign to boost spending for research on new generation of advanced nuclear plants, his White House, like the preceding Trump and Obama administrations, has struggled to devise a blueprint to save the existing reactors. The Biden administration has also supported a Clean Energy Standard (CES) in the infrastructure plan, a mechanism that could support existing nuclear plants.

“We’re racing to cut emissions, create jobs, and shore up local economies — allowing nuclear plants to close sets us back on all three fronts,” said Ryan Fitzpatrick, director of the climate and energy program at Third Way, a moderate think tank.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WithoutAClue said:

nice bounce for ALPP. how come?

Because this morning I was trying to decide where to dump my Mindmed profits and picked UUUU and RXMD instead of ALPP this time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/7/2021 at 3:43 PM, WithoutAClue said:

nice bounce for ALPP. how come?

Bounce and drop, watching ALPP seems to be like watching a basketball being dribbled. 

I can't figure out what drives the daily swings, but it's a wild ride. I hate calling shares free, but I've taken out more than my invested $$$s, and I thought I'd hold until $10, sell half and see if there's a long ride on this one. Not sure I see them attracting mutual funds or discretionary ETFs to chase these swings

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Bounce and drop, watching ALPP seems to be like watching a basketball being dribbled. 

I can't figure out what drives the daily swings, but it's a wild ride. I hate calling shares free, but I've taken out more than my invested $$$s, and I thought I'd hold until $10, sell half and see if there's a long ride on this one. Not sure I see them attracting mutual funds or discretionary ETFs to chase these swings

if/when they move to the NASDAQ i would expect things to calm down a little but who knows. plenty of games played there too.

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

LOL - my $420 SPY calls been going in & out of the money all day. Good thing some of them have some theta left in them, the 5/14's look like they could flame out, weirdly my 3/17/23 LEAPS are going up today

Mid morning, I fucked round with some SPY puts expiring today (421) that I bought for .20 and sold anywhere from $.50 to $1.50. Plowed most of that profit into Wed 410 puts @ $0.25. Got a decent chunk of those contracts that I'm now freerolling, plus some profit. Had I just held onto the 421 puts until  end of day, coulda closed those out around $4. So in short, expect the markets to be up strong the next two days. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Mid morning, I fucked round with some SPY puts expiring today (421) that I bought for .20 and sold anywhere from $.50 to $1.50. Plowed most of that profit into Wed 410 puts @ $0.25. Got a decent chunk of those contracts that I'm now freerolling, plus some profit. Had I just held onto the 421 puts until  end of day, coulda closed those out around $4. So in short, expect the markets to be up strong the next two days. 

seems like my calls and your puts will battle it out for market dominance (I'm thinking you win, as I've been playing the call game for maybe a bit too long)

32 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

seems like my calls and your puts will battle it out for market dominance (I'm thinking you win, as I've been playing the call game for maybe a bit too long)

I'll be out by Wed latest , so early week correction followed by late week rally would work just fine.  

15 hours ago, Blotto said:

Good timing. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Good timing. 

Sold half at $1.5 and the other half  at $1, so out of the trade for 400% profit. I may regret selling that 2nd half rather than holding in case the bottom drops out, but profit is profit. 

OK... Not even 30 minutes later I have the sellers remorse

23ed7ade-c111-4522-929a-932e901b89ca_scr

Edited by Blotto
math fail

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

OK... Not even 30 minutes later I have the sellers remors

Just remember, nobody ever went broke taking profits.

Typically I have sell orders for 20% at a 25% profit, 20% at 50%, take some along the way; the object with short term options is too make money not to get rich. Remember, theta is a child hearted bitch who will eat your very soul

AMYZF Board Member Appointed to Department of Energy Critical Materials Institute Advisory Board *drops 9%*

https://americanmanganeseinc.com/american-manganese-advisory-board-member-dan-mcgroarty-appointed-to-u-s-department-of-energys-critical-materials-institute-advisory-board/

Spoiler

American Manganese Inc. (“AMY” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce that Dan McGroarty, American Manganese Advisory Board member, has been appointed as one of three privatesector members of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Critical Materials Institute (CMI) Advisory Board. McGroarty will serve a two-year term on the Advisory Board, which reports to CMI Director, Dr. Tom Lograsso.

“Dan is a tremendous asset to the American Manganese team, helping us navigate the Company to becoming an industry team member of the CMI, and demonstrating for the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency AMY’s ability to solve a strategic critical mineral challenge, in our Wenden Stockpile reclamation and advanced material processing bench-scale project,” said Larry Reaugh, President and CEO of American Manganese. “I believe Dan’s appointment to the CMI Advisory Board will bring CMI valuable insight in how the private-sector’s powers of innovation can help meet the challenges of developing a strong U.S. critical materials supply chain.”

Led by the Ames Laboratory, in Iowa, CMI consists of more than 300 scientists, engineers and support staff at four National Laboratories of the U.S. Department of Energy, 16 universities, and 27 industrial partners. CMI was launched in 2013 as a DOE Energy Innovation Hub, charged with seeking ways to develop technologies that strengthen U.S. supply chains through source diversification, material substitution, and improved recycling and recovery.

AMY was accepted as a CMI industry team member in March 2019, and participates in CMI’s “Lithium-Ion Battery Disassembly, Remanufacturing, and Lithium & Cobalt Recovery Project,” focused on research, development and demonstration of novel methods that maximize value recovery from lithium-ion battery stacks, modules and cells by reuse, remanufacturing, and materials recovery. American Manganese’s CMI project partners are Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Idaho National Lab (INL), Purdue University and Case Western Reserve University.

About American Manganese Inc.
American Manganese Inc. is a critical metal company with a patented process for the recovery of metals from lithium-ion batteries such as cobalt, lithium, nickel, manganese, and aluminum. Using a novel combination of reagents and unit operations, AMY can provide 100% extraction of cathode metals at battery grade purity. American Manganese Inc. aims to capitalize on its patented technology and proprietary know-how to become the industry leader in recycling spent electric vehicle lithium-ion batteries (Please see the Company’s Dec 14, 2018 Business Plan (“CBP”) for further details).

On behalf of Management

AMERICAN MANGANESE INC.

Larry W. Reaugh
President and Chief Executive Officer