Windows 10 <-> Android MP3 Apps

idigTexas

I'm looking for something reliable to manage my digital music files.  They are all MP3s.  My main need is being able to easily create playlists in Windows 10, and to sync those playlists (and the associated MP3s) with my Galaxy S9.  I used Windows Media Player in the past when I had Windows 8 and a Windows OS phone, but have not really done much with this since upgrading to Windows 10 and changing to Android over a year ago. 

I'm going to be doing some road trips soon, and want to be able to play my music from my phone.

Other factors:  I don't need streaming, I don't need to pull music from the cloud, I don't need to share my library with other users, and I don't want iTunes.  It doesn't have to be free, but I do not want recurring charges, and would prefer no ads. 

Anyone else still doing music this way? 

Not sure what does "syncing" anymore since streaming has taken over.  

Assuming you have a static collection of mp3s (doesn't get bigger or smaller), you don't need to sync the music files.  VLC will let you create playlists, just copy them to your phone or vice versa.

At one time, google play music would let you copy all your files there and it would stream them to your device(s) and the playlists you made would be stored in the cloud.  I'm not sure if that's part of it anymore.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not sure what does "syncing" anymore since streaming has taken over.  

Assuming you have a static collection of mp3s (doesn't get bigger or smaller), you don't need to sync the music files.  VLC will let you create playlists, just copy them to your phone or vice versa.

At one time, google play music would let you copy all your files there and it would stream them to your device(s) and the playlists you made would be stored in the cloud.  I'm not sure if that's part of it anymore.

I thought this might be the case.  I don't stream on my phone, as I work from home and don't really have a need for it.  Thus I have a cheap limited data plan that would fill up pretty quickly if I started streaming a bunch of stuff on a long road trip.

My list on my PC is mostly static, and I doubt I'll add much to it anymore.  That said, I don't intend to put my entire collection on my phone (it wouldn't fit anyway ~150GB), so the songs in a given playlist may or may not need to be copied over.  It would be nice if I could just select a playlist, tell it to sync, and it copied over what is needed as needed.  

Looks like I'll have to try a few of the options, VLC being one of them. 

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks

Robocopy (Robust File Copy). Attach your phone to your PC, double click the batch file you created. Use text pd or word pad, write the command, save file as a .bat file. To edit the batch file, right click on it and select "edit".

Pathsync is another nice (tiny) program. Unlike Robocopy, it allows you to see what will be added and what will be deleted, and why before you give the final okay. Free, of course. Works between network folders as well as thumbdrives, phones (I assume) etc. I don't know if you can use a bluetooth connection for that. Find a Youtube tutorial.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Not sure Pathsync works with a phone. Just tried it. My Win laptop doesn't assign a drive letter to my LG phone. You might have to google that. (Sheepishly), the same problem might exist with robocopy. Sorry bout that. You might try mapping a network drive to your phone. Just a few clicks and some reading. If that's possible, then both programs should work.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch