Shriners College Classic Weekend Thread

Horny Bull

Dog shit pitching and defense give up 20 runs in 3 games and .. predictably .. officiating is the discussion.

The officiating is being discussed in addition to the shit defense. Dont think anyone here thinks we only lost bc umps.

But they were a bush league group out there. We had a fan in the stands waving his scorecard to the HP ump to show him it was ball 4. Ump still argued forever until upstairs confirmed ball 4. That was just embarrassing. My wife knew the count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog shit pitching and defense give up 20 runs in 3 games and .. predictably .. officiating is the discussion.

The officiating is being discussed in addition to the shit defense. Dont think anyone here thinks we only lost bc umps.

But they were a bush league group out there. We had a fan in the stands waving his scorecard to the HP ump to show him it was ball 4. Ump still argued forever until upstairs confirmed ball 4. That was just embarrassing. My wife knew the count.

• Like 1

You can say that again.

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

Agreed.  Pescii might fall over when I say this, but that was not a bad 1-2 result. 

Do NOT misunderstand, I'm not going aggy and claiming moral victory.

Taken as a whole, however, I saw that this team has the talent to keep up with good to elite teams in a condensed, arm burning series, all the other stupid, fixable bullshit they did this weekend notwithstanding.

I’m right about here. All 3 games were there for the taking, we just fucked up with stupid errors and freshman catchers shitting their pants. 

Though, after last year, we could win the conference, host a regional and I’d still be skeptical about like half our lineup and pitching staff so whatever. Fix the errors, get DJ back behind the plate and see what we got the next 3 weeks. Zona, Fullerton, a series against New Mexico then off to conference play 

For my and our sanities, let’s hope this squad has the mental toughness of the 2018 team. I don’t think any of us could survive another last year

• Like 3

On 3/1/2020 at 6:53 PM, dcar00 said:

no doubt.  he was like the little league ump that loves to call strikes because the ball curves.  fucking horrible.  the problem is we kept throwing fat fucking BP fastballs right down the middle.

Pierce is gonna get fired and he should.  he sucks and this team is marginally better than the last place team last year.

I'd pump the brakes. Yes they look sloppy but this team has some serious talent. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

I'd pump the brakes. Yes they look sloppy but this team has some serious talent. 

I know it is a long season and baseball is not a "one game" means everything type of sport.  I agree that we seem to have upgraded some.  Petrinsky being the only catcher worth a shit is very problematic. he'll need to play 90% of the games.  we should have recruited a JUCO catcher.  maybe the frosh will come around but right now he's not good and you can't throw away too many games playing him.  Its the most important position on the field and for 2 years we are dependent on one player.

we seriously lack bullpen strength which in a normal healthy Texas program should be our strength.

Zach's play at first has been nice to see.  If he hits well and if we can get a DH that can hit that alone should improve our offense.

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know it is a long season and baseball is not a "one game" means everything type of sport.  I agree that we seem to have upgraded some.  Petrinsky being the only catcher worth a shit is very problematic. he'll need to play 90% of the games.  we should have recruited a JUCO catcher.  maybe the frosh will come around but right now he's not good and you can't throw away too many games playing him.  Its the most important position on the field and for 2 years we are dependent on one player.

I’m curious what happened to the two frosh catchers who got some playing time last season.  Don’t believe either is on the current roster.

Regardless, again it appears we’re relying on an inexperienced frosh to backup the senior catcher just returning from a year long injury.  No bueno!

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

-  Caston Peter is on the roster but may have an injury ?

-  Cam Constantine was recruited more as an athlete.   Apparently,  Peyton Powell is not ready though he has the better credentials of the two.  He did start one game.

-  iirc,  Gauntt was on the Fall roster but was cut.    Does not have the power Pierce covets.

-  Dont know,  but appears Pierce went "all in" with Ardoin to be the the primary backup and did not recruit a juco.   Time will tell if that was a wise decision   Pierce cut Gauntt and chose to roll with 4 freshmen and Petrinsky.  Ardoin does have the credentials (bio below).   Ardoin is from the Lake Charles area,  may have been on Pierce's radar from Tulane. :

-  tl;dr:   Have to be patient with Ardoin.     Don't write him off yet.  Hope he starts tonight to regain confidence.

HIGH SCHOOL
Louisiana’s first-ever high school Gold Glove winner, being named 2019 ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove winner at catcher…first team All-State and All-District…member of 5A State Finalist Sam Houston (La.) team under head coach Chad Hebert…team’s defensive player of the year…batted .440 with three home runs and 40 RBI as a senior…four-year letterman at Sam Houston…participated in Area Code Games and in the Future Star Series International Games in 2018…was named All-District catcher in both 2016 and 2017.

Pierce on Ardoin: "Silas, along with other incoming catchers, will have a chance to compete for the starting catcher position as a freshman. His pedigree gives him an understanding of pitchers and of managing the game. He is known as a defensive catcher with a great skill set, but has a chance to be a very good gap-to-gap hitter as well."

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/14/baseball-inks-15-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, torre said:

-  Caston Peter is on the roster but may have an injury ?

-  Cam Constantine was recruited more as an athlete.   Apparently,  Peyton Powell is not ready though he has the better credentials of the two.  He did start one game.

-  iirc,  Gauntt was on the Fall roster but was cut.    Does not have the power Pierce covets.

-  Dont know,  but appears Pierce went "all in" with Ardoin to be the the primary backup and did not recruit a juco.   Time will tell if that was a wise decision   Pierce cut Gauntt and chose to roll with 4 freshmen and Petrinsky.  Ardoin does have the credentials (bio below).   Ardoin is from the Lake Charles area,  may have been on Pierce's radar from Tulane. :

-  tl;dr:   Have to be patient with Ardoin.     Don't write him off yet.  Hope he starts tonight to regain confidence.

HIGH SCHOOL
Louisiana’s first-ever high school Gold Glove winner, being named 2019 ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove winner at catcher…first team All-State and All-District…member of 5A State Finalist Sam Houston (La.) team under head coach Chad Hebert…team’s defensive player of the year…batted .440 with three home runs and 40 RBI as a senior…four-year letterman at Sam Houston…participated in Area Code Games and in the Future Star Series International Games in 2018…was named All-District catcher in both 2016 and 2017.

Pierce on Ardoin: "Silas, along with other incoming catchers, will have a chance to compete for the starting catcher position as a freshman. His pedigree gives him an understanding of pitchers and of managing the game. He is known as a defensive catcher with a great skill set, but has a chance to be a very good gap-to-gap hitter as well."

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/14/baseball-inks-15-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

Thnx for the good info!

BTW, I’m not advocating anything .. just that we’ve nothing to fall back on between frosh and senior (5th year?).  No bueno ...