Shriners College Classic Weekend Thread

Horny Bull

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, our Lady Horns just beat the #1 and #2 teams, back to back.  Coaching makes all the difference in the world.  Pierce needs a good year and more great players coming into the program.

Completely agree on coaching .. however, White has a deep roster loaded with sticks.  They will never really be out of a game. 

• Like 1

Well, our Lady Horns just beat the #1 and #2 teams, back to back.  Coaching makes all the difference in the world.  Pierce needs a good year and more great players coming into the program.

I’ve got a good buddy that played at Tech and is still tied into the program now. I was bitching about our bats the other day and his opinion was that as long as DF is laid out like it is now, power hitters will shy away. It’s known as a hitters graveyard in the recruiting circles. I know CSB.

3 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Didn’t Zubia’s error (on a ball that looked headed to the 2B) immediately precede the 2-run HR?  Difference in a tie and the go ahead run ...

That and 2nd basemen looked asleep out there + too slow turning dp’s

all areas this team can improve on. Lot more positives than negatives

elder is a horse. Same for the LSU starter 

Edited by tx 3 putt

8 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I’ve got a good buddy that played at Tech and is still tied into the program now. I was bitching about our bats the other day and his opinion was that as long as DF is laid out like it is now, power hitters will shy away. It’s known as a hitters graveyard in the recruiting circles. I know CSB.

They moved the fences in when Pierce got here, second, when we have had good teams, none of that mattered,  all those trips to Omaha and everyone looking at our low HR totals, then our guys start raking and we lead the CWS in homers. We've had some issues in the past (mostly our own doing) but overall Texas doesnt have a problem with getting talent on campus.

• Like 3

I would say somewhere in the 5th, the tables started to turn, that reversal cost us extra innings, but not the game. Very pleased with how the team responded to the early deficit. When the LSU chants started,  Elder started putting their guys down with efficiency. Our bats worked their ace to get a 3-2 lead (60 pitches after 3 innings) , could of had more. Was a bit worried who LSU had in the pen and they had a good one, guy has a heater, then a hook and a decent change. 

We do need to throw a little more salt on our bats and dig in, hopefully that will show soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

They moved the fences in when Pierce got here, second, when we have had good teams, none of that mattered,  all those trips to Omaha and everyone looking at our low HR totals, then our guys start raking and we lead the CWS in homers. We've had some issues in the past (mostly our own doing) but overall Texas doesnt have a problem with getting talent on campus.

Very true, historically.

I'm not sure that things aren't different now in terms of players being smarter/more selfish about where they play.  And things just haven't been quite the same since gorilla ball and the bat and ball changes.

But, that's probably just one of several factors, including being behind in facilities and not being the only game in state any longer.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I actually ran into a lot of pleasant pig baseball fans in Omaha 2 years ago

Where were you sitting?! The arkies around us were unbearable. I knew it was going to be interesting when I was coming back from the restroom and they refused to budge an inch to let me back into the row. Had to force my way past their fat smelly bodies.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Take it for what it’s worth : players brother told me pierce brought in a hitting guru before the season. Many players feel their swings Are now jacked up, too many changes  

Please expound.    Too many changes being a negative,  changed their swing ?    Thanks !

Steve Singleton,  Texas  Softball hitting coach and former MLB player (minors) and Minor League hitting instructor,  does not use a "cookie cutter" approach to the swing.   Instead,  he respects each player's approach and individual swing and uses analytics like Blast and Rapsodo to refine.   TwiceHorn has mentioned the importance of analytics.

Too early to panic.   That was a very well played college baseball game,  especially in the month of February.    We K'd 16 times which is  concerning,  but LSU K'd 12 times.  LSU had 2 walks,  we had 3.   Pitching was dominant.    Elder had one bad pitch and LSU had a strong relief guy in Hill.   Hill was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Arkansas but LSU lured him to BR.

From 1-15 (or how many)  I think our overall  pitching talent equals or is better than any in the country.    We will see if the coaches can max their potential.   Need someone to step up to lessen the pitches/innings of the 3 starters.    Long time till June.

Edited by torre

12 minutes ago, torre said:

Please expound.    Too many changes being a negative,  changed their swing ?    Thanks !

Steve Singleton,  Texas  Softball hitting coach and former MLB player (minors) and Minor League hitting instructor,  does not use a "cookie cutter" approach to the swing.   Instead,  he respects each player's approach and individual swing and uses analytics like Blast and Rapsodo to refine.   TwiceHorn has mentioned the importance of analytics.

Too early to panic.   That was a very well played college baseball game,  especially in the month of February.    We K'd 16 times which is  concerning,  but LSU K'd 12 times.  LSU had 2 walks,  we had 3.   Pitching was dominant.    Elder had one bad pitch and LSU had a strong relief guy in Hill.   Hill was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Arkansas but LSU lured him to BR.

From 1-15 (or how many)  I think our overall  pitching talent equals or is better than any in the country.    We will see if the coaches can max their potential.   Need someone to step up to lessen the pitches/innings of the 3 starters.    Long time till June.

While I have mentioned use of analytics and the lack of same during the Garrido regime, I can't say that I think they're important or even useful.  They probably are, but I don't know much about it.  I can certainly see some of it being overwhelming.

I have heard that some recruits found it a "turn off" that we didn't have all the state of the art gizmos and whizbangs.  So we apparently were at a competitive disadvantage from that standpoint.

With that little clarification, great post and perspective.

Do we think it might be Singleton that was "brought in"?

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Take it for what it’s worth : players brother told me pierce brought in a hitting guru before the season. Many players feel their swings Are now jacked up, too many changes  

The swings of the returning players look the same to me.  Your source’s brother is probably not a very good hitter, anyway.  

• Haha 2