Cord Cutting

Abogado Peligroso

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The Paramount + thread made me go back and evaluate cutting the cord again and the availability of live sports across a lot of platforms makes this a lot easier at this point. 

After doing a bit of research it looks like the 3 big competitors are Hulu, YouTube and Fubo. Looking at each offering, I'd lean towards Hulu b/c you can bundle and Disney/ESPN+ subscription for $72 which would be below the other two. If you add Peacock and Paramount+ you have nearly all Sports content that's been historically available through traditional TV providers for slightly less than $100 a month. 

CNET updated their article comparing channel lineups between the different services. I chuckled that the LHN isn't anywhere to be found. 

There’s a big thread on Help, but I’m on record many times expressing my preference for YouTubeTV. When you add a show to your preferences, you can then watch it for several days just like an old school DVR, unabated by forced commercial breaks. HuluLive is a fucking beating in this regard, and there’s not even a premium version that is commercial free. In fact, you can be watching a live event like a football game, decide to rewind, and HuluLive will put a fucking 1:30 break where there wasn’t before! It’s bullshit. 

Two years ago I was offered regular Hulu at $2 a month for Black Friday, and it was offered again, so I plan on doing that each year just to have access to their catalog (I swap email addresses, because it’s for new subscribers... sue me). 

We have YouTubeTV for regular viewing, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, AppleTV (free for buying a device and they keep extending the free year) and a bunch of shit we could watch thru various free apps, like PlutoTV or Crackle. I share the HBO Max app with a buddy, and use my mom’s traditional cable account to access Longhorn Network. I will never begin to scratch the surface of what we have available.

• Hook 'Em 3

+1 for YouTube TV. I switched over in December and love it. As for sports, I have watched all of the footballs and basketballs I want to with no problems.

About to upgrade to the sports package so I can get my Cardinals games on Fox Sport Midwest.

6 hours ago, maninblack said:

I chuckled that the LHN isn't anywhere to be found. 

Sling and TVision both have it available.  I haven't checked the other thread to see if anyone has tried TVision yet though.  For a while, it was limited to TMobile customers, but was supposed to open up this year. 

+1 for YouTube TV. I switched over in December and love it. As for sports, I have watched all of the footballs and basketballs I want to with no problems.
About to upgrade to the sports package so I can get my Cardinals games on Fox Sport Midwest.

Wait what? YouTube TV has a sports package to get FS regionals?

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

57 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They do not. OSUJeff, think again.

57 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well fuck me. I guess they used to but they dropped them at the same time as Dish Network.

But doing some digging it looks like Fox Sports Midwest is close to having a deal in place to be provided a la carte outside of Fox Sports packages on YouTube TV and Dish.  Don’t know if that applies to other FS regionals or is just exclusive to FSMW because Sinclair owns them.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/relief-may-loom-for-those-shut-out-of-fox-sports-midwest/article_011b329f-e099-5c98-b69f-ab112d2944e6.html

Fucking MLB is such a pain in the ass with their stupid-ass broadcasting rights and blackouts. I wish I could just buy MLB Extra Innings and get Cards games... but no I can’t because Tulsa is a “local” market of St. Louis. Super awesome to be so “local” that it’s only a 6-hour drive to get to home games. FFS.

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Well fuck me. I guess they used to but they dropped them at the same time as Dish Network.

But doing some digging it looks like Fox Sports Midwest is close to having a deal in place to be provided a la carte outside of Fox Sports packages on YouTube TV and Dish.  Don’t know if that applies to other FS regionals or is just exclusive to FSMW because Sinclair owns them.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/relief-may-loom-for-those-shut-out-of-fox-sports-midwest/article_011b329f-e099-5c98-b69f-ab112d2944e6.html

Fucking MLB is such a pain in the ass with their stupid-ass broadcasting rights and blackouts. I wish I could just buy MLB Extra Innings and get Cards games... but no I can’t because Tulsa is a “local” market of St. Louis. Super awesome to be so “local” that it’s only a 6-hour drive to get to home games. FFS.

Even if you get the regional Fox channels, that doesn't include NBA and MLB games. Those will still be blacked out, unless you're in the region.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Even if you get the regional Fox channels, that doesn't include NBA and MLB games. Those will still be blacked out, unless you're in the region.

Tulsa is a designed “home market” for St. Louis Cardinals baseball. Thus, Fox Sports Midwest is available here on DirecTV and Cox Cable.  That’s why it’s blacked out for me on MLB Extra Innings... MLB forces me to get the games through my local cable/satellite/whatever provider. So if YouTube TV picks it back up, I should be able to see it.

Edited by oSuJeff97

I'm just trying to get some non-shitty internet. Can't get anything here but AT&T's horrific DSL which is trash. Been experimenting with cell phones tethered to the PC, much better, but clunky and the plans that might sorta work all have loopholes that make it suck for the price.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

I'm just trying to get some non-shitty internet. Can't get anything here but AT&T's horrific DSL which is trash. Been experimenting with cell phones tethered to the PC, much better, but clunky and the plans that might sorta work all have loopholes that make it suck for the price.

Depending on where you're located, you may want to check out Starlink

The Paramount thread got me thinking that I could do away with all the TV packages even YT/HULU. Put 4-5 streaming services together with internet and I'd be close to the $100/month holy grail. Only drawback would of course be live sports. Might give it a shot this summer after the NBA playoffs.

ATTTVDIRECTVNow (or whatever it's called this week) just notified me that they're raising my rate again - now it will be $94/mo plus tax for my no-longer-available package.  That's $30 in increases in 27 months.  So I looked and the only things I'd lose and give a shit about if I just bought about $50-60 worth of apps (Disney+/ESPN, Starz, HBOMax (free with my phone), AMC, etc.) are the various non-broadcast Fox channels/App (FS1/2, FX, etc.).  Is there any way to get those via a direct purchase sub? 

Do you need to watch anything live? I think regular Hulu has most of that content. If not, just get the apps for each and get a family member with old school cable to help you out.

If you’re still using DirecTV as in a satellite dish on your roof and a DVR connected to your TV, yeah, that shits done. Buy a $25-$30 Roku for every set in the house and party.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Do you need to watch anything live? I think regular Hulu has most of that content. If not, just get the apps for each and get a family member with old school cable to help you out.

Hulu just added ESPN+ for $6 a month.  Don't know how this is different than the Disney bundle, other than I guess you can get Hulu for cheaper, and then just add ESPN+ on top of that.

ESPN+ subscribers have access to the UFC, including PPV events, daily out-of-market game from MLB and NHL, collegiate athletics, original programming and documentaries, as well as expanded soccer coverage including Serie A, FA Cup, UEFA Nations League, EFL Championship, EFL Carabao Cup, Eredevise, the entire MLS Live out-of-market schedule, and more. 

On 3/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, Vito Andolini said:

If you’re still using DirecTV as in a satellite dish on your roof and a DVR connected to your TV, yeah, that shits done. Buy a $25-$30 Roku for every set in the house and party.

Not Directv. The artist formerly known as DirectvNOW.  For a while it was by far the best deal in streaming.  Then AT&T fucked it sideways.  Because that’s Their Thing. 

As for live TV, one particular team comes to mind that seems to be on Fox’s various sports networks a lot.  If I could figure out FS1 I think I could drop bundled TV for good. 

59 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I don’t get FSSW, but do get FS1 and FS2 with YouTubeTV. I don’t care about watching every Rangers, Mavs or Stars games, but I know it’s important to many.

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/4-things-to-know-before-you-sign-up-for-youtube-tv/

Yeah, that may be my best bet.  But I'm generally not interested in anything that's not available separately (other than the FS1 thing).  We don't watch Cheddar, or Ovation, or Bravo, or E!, or TLC/HGTV/DIY, or any of that "basic cable" stuff.  So now I have to figure how many independent subs I can drop if I pick up YouTubeTV to see what I'd really be effectively paying for FS1.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

ATTTVDIRECTVNow (or whatever it's called this week) just notified me that they're raising my rate again - now it will be $94/mo plus tax for my no-longer-available package.  That's $30 in increases in 27 months.  So I looked and the only things I'd lose and give a shit about if I just bought about $50-60 worth of apps (Disney+/ESPN, Starz, HBOMax (free with my phone), AMC, etc.) are the various non-broadcast Fox channels/App (FS1/2, FX, etc.).  Is there any way to get those via a direct purchase sub? 

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-vs-hulu-vs-sling-tv-vs-at-t-tv-vs-philo-vs-fubo-vs-t-mobile-tvision-100-channels-compared/

Scroll to the bottom

L&P, take a few free trial runs and see what you think. Again, for me, the user interface for YouTubeTV is far superior to HuluLive, but that’s just my opinion. As a subscriber, you can access all the networks season catalogs, and the space is seemingly endless: Google has a shitton of servers 😂. Navigating from channel to channel is tedious (there are no channel numbers) but I’m sure that can be rectified by managing your Favorites, something I haven’t bothered to do.

My wife has the Netflix account, which we don’t use much, it’s really for her family. We have Prime only because... we have Prime, we like the free shipping. As mentioned earlier, I get a $2 a month regular Hulu subscription each Black Friday. Apple+ is free with the iPad I bought my wife a year and a half ago (they keep extending the free trial).

I don’t remember exactly what you need, but I suspect a combo of YouTubeTV, the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle and Netflix would give you more than you could ever watch. All for about what you’re currently paying. And I used that AT&T replacement for DirecTV Now, and I agree, it’s pure shit.

Edited to add AMC is standard on YTTV.

Edited by Vito Andolini

On 3/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Tulsa is a designed “home market” for St. Louis Cardinals baseball. Thus, Fox Sports Midwest is available here on DirecTV and Cox Cable.  That’s why it’s blacked out for me on MLB Extra Innings... MLB forces me to get the games through my local cable/satellite/whatever provider. So if YouTube TV picks it back up, I should be able to see it.

The best way around this if you want to buy the all inclusive league pass is to get a streaming device like a firestick that has the sports league's app on it and load a vpn like SurfShark on it. Then you can change your location to many different locations across the country to side step blackouts. 

An alternative is to load a vpn onto your computer then stream from there to your tv with an HDMI if you don't want to use a streaming stick. 

SurfShark is my favorite and is $60 for 24 months 

https://order.surfshark.com/

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4