Call it now: Does Tom Herman earn job security this season?

Goo Punch

Does Tom Herman earn job security in 2020?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Does Tom Herman earn job security in 2020?

• Yes- his job is secure and Texas fans feel that the program is in good hands
    • No- he has not convinced Texas fans and boosters that he is the man for the job

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/20 at 01:35 AM

I'll come out and say right now that I believe in Tom Herman, and I think that he will/should be the head coach at Texas for years to come. But not everybody feels that way. So stake your claim now. All votes are public. Is Tom Herman the man for the job? 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

I want to be wrong so bad. It all lines up for us to be big 12 champs at the very least next year. But I just don’t see that happening. I see another 8-4 type of season where we lose to OU, LSU, and (insert two random big 12 teams that we’re more talented than). The last 10 years have me so unbelievably jaded that I have to take the “I’ll believe it when i see it. I’m done believe the hype” approach.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Why would I answer a poll from a fuckwad who swore he'd perma-ban himself years ago if someone proved him a liar?

Is there a No Derka answer?

Joke is on you if you think Derka has any authority to actually ban you...

I can’t remember a season where so many Big 12 teams are lined up to just be horrible. On paper there isn’t one team that remotely comes close to Texas in talent or experience. I know it’s not a popular opinion, but if Texas doesn’t at least make the conference title game this season is an abject failure. 

sam is a senior.  yurcich.  injury plagued season in 2019 coming off sugar bowl dominance.  bijan.  new defense that will have healthy players.  OU down.  LSU down.  when healthy last year we were clearly almost as good as one of the most dominant teams in NCAA history.  trust in herman, we’ll be in the playoff.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

25% we go 7-5

50% we go 8-4

25% we go 9-3

to whom exactly do you think we’re going to lose these games?  I can tell you right now we are curb-stomping LSU in death valley and I’m eating a celebratory corn dog in early october at the state fair.  so who, then?

• Like 3

Being "the man for the job" and earning more job security, particularly with our inept athletic department, are two entirely different things. This poll is therefore retarded.

Will Herman do enough next year to keep his job?  Probably. It's 60-40.

Is he "the guy" that is going to regularly win the conference and contend for a national title? Probably not.  It's 10-90.  He's shown almost nothing as a head coach, particularly at UT, to indicate this is the case.     

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Being "the man for the job" and earning more job security, particularly with our inept athletic department. Is he "the guy" that is going to regularly win the conference and contend for a national title? Probably not.  It's 10-90.  He's shown almost nothing as a head coach, particularly at UT, to indicate this is the case.     

Russian-Dating-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I can’t remember a season where so many Big 12 teams are lined up to just be horrible. On paper there isn’t one team that remotely comes close to Texas in talent or experience. I know it’s not a popular opinion, but if Texas doesn’t at least make the conference title game this season is an abject failure. 

Are you talking about 2020 or 2019?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of the stupidest posts ever made, if not the actual champion.

MensaTom hasn't proven a fucking thing about deserving to coach Texas again next year.

What he has proven is that he wins bowl games. Unfortunately he has also proven that he usually cannot win games when not favored, and at least a couple of games a year loses when favored. That is not our standard.

Has he recruited enough of the right coaches and players to get past the fuckups? 

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe [go] fuck yourself.

NOTE TO STAFF: please consider enhancing the IGNORE functionality to avoid entire threads when started by an ignoramus being ignored. Thank you.

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think this a much less hot take than you've set it up to be.

god i love our football fans and their incredibly thin skin, overwhelming sense of entitlement, and complete lack of objectivity. listening to the way so many of you talk about program like we're Alabama is hilarious. to paraphrase Mike Leach, "oh poo poo, the mighty Texas Longhorns; fuck you." our football program has been largely irrelevant for *four of the last five decades* and you guys are seriously in here talking about regularly winning the conference and competing for national titles like it should be very baseline of what's considered even competent performance by our HC. same fans who don't even bother to show up to home games unless USC or ND comes to town. get fucking real with these bombastic expectations, and all of the indignant, self righteous anger aimed at Tom Herman as if he's Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, futureman said:

to whom exactly do you think we’re going to lose these games?  I can tell you right now we are curb-stomping LSU in death valley and I’m eating a celebratory corn dog in early october at the state fair.  so who, then?

Do we have any reason to believe Iowa State and West Virginia will be worse than last year?  Will TCU be any worse?  There's 3 games right there we lost last year and with a realistic 50:50 chance of losing again this year.  Why would we not lose to them again?  New coaches who weren't even the coaches we originally wanted?  Maybe, but at this point they are unproven.  One of them will be called a fraud who should be fired by year's end... it's what we do here.  

LSU lost a ton of players but don't think they are left with a bare cupboard.  They've been recruiting well for years.  Other than at QB there's no reason to think the next crop of starters for them will be much worse than guys that left.  Same story with OU.  They have proven they can beat us in any given year with any given roster with any given QB.  The old adage about reloading not rebuilding applies to both LSU and OU.  If you are expecting a huge dropoff from either of them you're wearing orange shaded glasses in la la land.  

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Do we have any reason to believe Iowa State and West Virginia will be worse than last year?  Will TCU be any worse?  There's 3 games right there we lost last year and with a realistic 50:50 chance of losing again this year.  Why would we not lose to them again?  New coaches who weren't even the coaches we originally wanted?  Maybe, but at this point they are unproven.  One of them will be called a fraud who should be fired by year's end... it's what we do here.  

LSU lost a ton of players but don't think they are left with a bare cupboard.  They've been recruiting well for years.  Other than at QB there's no reason to think the next crop of starters for them will be much worse than guys that left.  Same story with OU.  They have proven they can beat us in any given year with any given roster with any given QB.  The old adage about reloading not rebuilding applies to both LSU and OU.  If you are expecting a huge dropoff from either of them you're wearing orange shaded glasses in la la land.  

We didn't lose to WVU. And Roach isn't around to hand ISU a game winning FG.

I object to the responses as phrased.

I think he can earn some job security without anyone being fully convinced the program is in good hands.  It's probably more a question of good enough to postpone the shitshow and expense of firing him and hiring someone else for another year.

He might be the dude.  He might overcome the odds established by his first few years here and his awful coaching hires and his by now well documented tendency to win big games and drop small ones.  But it's going to take more than one good year to establish that the program is in good hands.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

god i love our football fans and their incredibly thin skin, overwhelming sense of entitlement, and complete lack of objectivity. listening to the way so many of you talk about program like we're Alabama is hilarious. to paraphrase Mike Leach, "oh poo poo, the mighty Texas Longhorns; fuck you." our football program has been largely irrelevant for *four of the last five decades* and you guys are seriously in here talking about regularly winning the conference and competing for national titles like it should be very baseline of what's considered even competent performance by our HC. same fans who don't even bother to show up to home games unless USC or ND comes to town. get fucking real with these bombastic expectations, and all of the indignant, self righteous anger aimed at Tom Herman as if he's Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart. 

It’s not about how good Texas is or has been. Every team we play next year figures to be worse than they were last year. LSU loses so many people that I doubt they’ll keep the Texas game within 2 scores. Texas will be the vastly superior team in every game next year. On paper that’s a 12-0 season. Anything worse than 10-2 would be pathetic given the easiness of our schedule. 

While I think the roster is primed to bounce back, I'm not convinced we have the staff that will put guys in position to succeed. I will need to see it to believe it. Nevertheless, even if things go well, I could see the Big 12 championship game being between us and ou/osu, where both teams are ranked in the 6-10 range and the winner is left out of the playoffs. A bowl win and top 12 finish easily secures Herman's job in that scenario. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

While I think the roster is primed to bounce back, I'm not convinced we have the staff that will put guys in position to succeed. I will need to see it to believe it. Nevertheless, even if things go well, I could see the Big 12 championship game being between us and ou/osu, where both teams are ranked in the 6-10 range and the winner is left out of the playoffs. A bowl win and top 12 finish easily secures Herman's job in that scenario. 

Sucks that the big 12 sends chokelahoma to eat shit in the playoff every year. That and losing EVERY BOWL GAME this year really justify the worst conference argument. It's SEC, B1G, pac12, ACC, then shit 12. Bottom of the barrel. Worse than the fucking ACC.

Surprised at the split. I voted positive.

In focusing on Herman's flaws and exaggerating some of them, his positives are often overlooked or simply denied.

I think he does self-examine and self-coach. I think the change in the team attitude at the end of the season is an indicator of this. He changed something about himself and approach that enabled the team to rally.

I think the process of jettisoning (in some cases likely forced to jettison) the bulk of his hand-chosen staff had to be board to the forehead. I'm guessing CDC swung that board. How can he not? I know. I know:

Roma, you pustule, Herman is arrogant. Not just arrogant, but the personification of arrogance. Everybody hates him. I know this because I hate him and here stories about people hating him. Of course, if we were winning, I'd worship at the altar of hate and arrogance.

Herman has gone to Notre Dame to learn a few things if he can. He asked the family of a recruit we lost in his first year how he could have done a better job. I think he may have felt too confirmed in his approach after the Georgia win (Georgia didn't want to be there so much that they showed up at the wrong stadium the day before the actual game and were jet-lagged as well as despondent when they almost beat Texas anyway. Whoop!)

Roma, you insufferable supercilious dickhead who can't even get the Latin in his name correct, this is all anecdotal! I have a friend at Belmont who says so!

We're all guessing. I see some reason to expect a resumption of how we were trending after the Georgia game. It's a gut feeling that my heart is afraid to believe, again. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 2

OU has won five conference titles in a row, and some of y’all are casually discounting them? Compared to Texas, they’ll have a better OL, DL, LB and WR corps. Because of the o line and receivers, Rattler and their running backs could at least look better Sam and Keaontay et al. Honestly their DBs might be better too; they played better than Texas’ last season. Riley is a better coach than Herman and has done a better job of constructing their roster.

• Like 4

I think you poll should offer more answers. It is not black and white.

How I feel about Herman so far.....He has not nec. performed to date.

Do I think he can when he gets out of his own way? Yes.
Do I like the hires he has made and the recruiting classes?

AM I a fucking doubter? No? Could I see it not working out? OF COURSE. I think this season will be the defining season and its really hard to answer your question with two fucking options. Cheers though, like where the question came from/