Call it now: Does Tom Herman earn job security this season?

Goo Punch

Does Tom Herman earn job security in 2020?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Does Tom Herman earn job security in 2020?

• Yes- his job is secure and Texas fans feel that the program is in good hands
    • No- he has not convinced Texas fans and boosters that he is the man for the job

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/20 at 01:35 AM

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

get fucking real with these bombastic expectations, and all of the indignant, self righteous anger aimed at Tom Herman as if he's Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart. 

While I agree with most of what you've been arguing on this thread, and I voted "yes," I don't think it's too much to ask that our standards be a little higher than Coach Potato or Coach Stuart Smalley. I for one remember when Alabama fans were ridiculously entitled through some embarrassingly bad coaching hires. The fact that we have sucked so often over the last 40 years does not excuse sucking.

Fortunately, I for one believe we are now on the right track. Gimme an arrogant SOB who (eventually) accepts correction any day of the week.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

god i love our football fans and their incredibly thin skin, overwhelming sense of entitlement, and complete lack of objectivity. listening to the way so many of you talk about program like we're Alabama is hilarious. to paraphrase Mike Leach, "oh poo poo, the mighty Texas Longhorns; fuck you." our football program has been largely irrelevant for *four of the last five decades* and you guys are seriously in here talking about regularly winning the conference and competing for national titles like it should be very baseline of what's considered even competent performance by our HC. same fans who don't even bother to show up to home games unless USC or ND comes to town. get fucking real with these bombastic expectations, and all of the indignant, self righteous anger aimed at Tom Herman as if he's Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart. 

He's the highest paid coach in the conference.  Given our recruiting base and the shitiness of our conference, asking him to win the conference with some regularity, and contend for it nearly every year, is not some insurmountable goal.  Winning the conference automatically puts you in contention for the national title.  If he's to be the "coach for many years to come," as you put it, those are the types of standards he should rightly be held to.  If it's clear he's not that type of coach, he should not have indefinite job security.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident about a good year next year. LSU hired piss pants so we basically have a top 10 win guaranteed at the start of the season and we have enough senior leaders that I think we can carry that momentum to a playoff appearance.

Edited by Gigglebush

46 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

I'm pretty confident about a good year next year. LSU hired piss pants so we basically have a top 10 win guaranteed at the start of the season and we have enough senior leaders that I think we can carry that momentum to a playoff appearance.

Russina-Beauties.jpg

• Like 2

Sucks that the big 12 sends chokelahoma to eat shit in the playoff every year. That and losing EVERY BOWL GAME this year really justify the worst conference argument. It's SEC, B1G, pac12, ACC, then shit 12. Bottom of the barrel. Worse than the fucking ACC.

Not according to the numbers. Big 12 was third behind SEC and Big Ten. The PAC 12 was fourth, followed by the AAC and then the ACC.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019.html

The 2018 Texas football season:

After losing to Maryland week 1 and falling out of the polls, Texas went 10-3 in its remaining games, losing 42-41 to #12 WVU, 38-35 at OSU, and to OU in the conference title game. Those were the losses. Texas also beat four ranked teams, and only one of the victories (an upset win over #5 OU) was by less than two TDs. We ended the season by defeating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, amd were ultimately ranked 9th in the final AP poll.

That ^^^ is the best season Texas football has had since 2009 when Mack Brown was still kicking ass. Take away the Mack Brown era, and the 2018 Texas football season is probably one of the 6 or 7 best seasons UT football has had since the late 1970's. And yet some of you psychos are seriously in here talking about Tom Herman's performance like he's Charlie Strong, Shaka Smart, or Bob Weltlich. You people are fucking nuts. 

We've gone from 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 before Tom Herman to 7-6, 10-4, and 8-5, including three dominating bowl wins and a *MUCH* more competitive rivalry with OU than we've had in years. And that's not to mention that we're finally back to seeing players winning individual awards and post season superlatives, more so than we have since the 00's. The team is back in the top 25 with regularity and the program is *clearly* in better shape than its been in over a decade. 

Am I 100% *convinced* that Tom Herman is a top flight college head coach who will be leading Texas into the CFB Playoffs with regularity? No, i'm not convinced that he is that guy; but i'm also going to do everything i can do distance myself from you morons who incessantly curse his name and claim that he's fucking terrible. you guys are just flat out wrong, and the run that Texas football had during the 2000's appears to have warped your sense of reality. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Not according to the numbers. Big 12 was third behind SEC and Big Ten. The PAC 12 was fourth, followed by the AAC and then the ACC.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019.html

That's what my eyes tell me as well. Just saying, in an argument when bowl wins comes in it's pathetic how the big 12 did last year.

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The 2018 Texas football season:

After losing to Maryland week 1 and falling out of the polls, Texas went 10-3 in its remaining games, losing 42-41 to #12 WVU, 38-35 at OSU, and to OU in the conference title game. Those were the losses. Texas also beat four ranked teams, and only one of the victories (an upset win over #5 OU) was by less than two TDs. We ended the season by defeating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, amd were ultimately ranked 9th in the final AP poll.

That ^^^ is the best season Texas football has had since 2009 when Mack Brown was still kicking ass. Take away the Mack Brown era, and the 2018 Texas football season is probably one of the 6 or 7 best seasons UT football has had since the late 1970's. And yet some of you psychos are seriously in here talking about Tom Herman's performance like he's Charlie Strong, Shaka Smart, or Bob Weltlich. You people are fucking nuts. 

We've gone from 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 before Tom Herman to 7-6, 10-4, and 8-5, including three dominating bowl wins and a *MUCH* more competitive rivalry with OU than we've had in years. And that's not to mention that we're finally back to seeing players winning individual awards and post season superlatives, more so than we have since the 00's. The team is back in the top 25 with regularity and the program is *clearly* in better shape than its been in over a decade. 

Am I 100% *convinced* that Tom Herman is a top flight college head coach who will be leading Texas into the CFB Playoffs with regularity? No, i'm not convinced that he is that guy; but i'm also going to do everything i can do distance myself from you morons who incessantly curse his name and claim that he's fucking terrible. you guys are just flat out wrong, and the run that Texas football had during the 2000's appears to have warped your sense of reality. 

Plus if you watch all the games, the teams fucking quit in the Strong Era. In the Herman Era, we've been physical and relentless with effort, even if we're getting out matched by better playcalling/coaching. I love the type of men Herman is recruiting. I think it pays off big this year.

4 minutes ago, Zavala said:

That's what my eyes tell me as well. Just saying, in an argument when bowl wins comes in it's pathetic how the big 12 did last year.

Bowls aren't a big enough sample. I think they're useful -- and humorous -- when the big, bad SEC face-plants like it did a few years ago, especially considering all the gymastics that conference employs to ensure the very best (read, winnable/favorable) matchups take place. This past season, I feel pretty certain there were probably four or more better teams than Oklahoma, therefore the entire conference played up at least one level (OU should've been playing Georgia, Baylor would've gotten Utah or Notre Dame, etc). Also Oklahoma State nearly knocked off aggy despite having a bunch of skill guys not playing due to injury.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Plus if you watch all the games, the teams fucking quit in the Strong Era. In the Herman Era, we've been physical and relentless with effort, even if we're getting out matched by better playcalling/coaching. I love the type of men Herman is recruiting. I think it pays off big this year.

The OU games under Herman have been starkly different experiences for me than they were for most of my life, even when we were awesome under Mack Brown. There is no  longer a clear and ubiquitous mental edge for OU, and in fact, I'd say that Texas has been the tougher/angrier/meaner team in the rivalry since Herman got here. OU has had all of the sexy star players, the Kyler Murray's, Hollywood Brown's, and that doughy, pasty retard from Lake Travis. Our guys have been the discounted and slept on underdogs every year. To see Texas playing with such a noticeable edge against OU has been fucking awesome, and it's a huge reason why these people who crush Herman mystify me. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Well yeah, but you're taking away almost half that period under the second-best coach in school history.

Then again, you could argue that the way Mack is generally regarded on here strengthens your argument that much more. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

fyi the Baylor game has Texas at 85% chance to win. 

I’d be curious to know what last years percentages looked like, and the year before. I say that because only 2 of those teams are even in the same stratosphere as us in terms of recruiting, so you would think it should look just like this every year. 

On 3/1/2020 at 10:23 AM, Goo Punch said:

That ^^^ is the best season Texas football has had since 2009 when Mack Brown was still kicking ass. Take away the Mack Brown era, and the 2018 Texas football season is probably one of the 6 or 7 best seasons UT football has had since the late 1970's.

So basically we exclude the Mack Brown years, leaving us with Strong, Mackovic, McWilliams, and the last 6-7 years of Akers. And with that qualifier, Herman's one solid year puts us in the top 6-7 seasons of the remaining candidates? Damning with faint praise indeed.

Herman is not arguably on the hot seat now, but another 7-5 or 8-4 regular season  effort next year, and he's right back on it. He's a better coach than Strong. Beyond that he has to show me a lot more before I can rest easy that he's the man for the job. This roster is good enough to make noise next year, but I have nowhere near the confidence in this team heading into the season that I should. No fucking way that the 19 squad should have finished 5-4 in conference, including a 50-48 game winning FG barnburner vs f'n KU......at DKR. 

• 2 weeks later...

one of the main things i'm looking for from next year's team, vis a vis "is Tom Herman 'The Guy'" is this: great programs lose B Jones, Duvernay, C Johnson, Roach, etc and they replace them with guys who are as good as/even better than those guys. You'll remember that our 2005 team had to replace Ced Benson and DJ, two All Americans and national award winners. but we had so much talent coming back (Jamaal and Ramonce in the offensive backfield, and the best defensive backfield in the country) that we were an even better team in '05 despite losing to absolute stars. 

that's what truly great programs do- one goes out, one comes in. whether it be a 5* freshman, a grad transfer, or some unknown go-hard who becomes a legit starter, that's what truly great programs do. here's to hoping that we're "reloading" at key positions where we've lost production from last year. nothing quite like seeing a previously unknown guy put his stamp all over the first couple of games of the season on his way to becoming your favorite player. if we see that this year then i'm a believer. 

Edited by Goo Punch

It can literally go either way tbh. Anyone that is far left or far right on the spectrum is idiotic to me. He’s already proven he can make a CCG and get his team to prepared for big games. He’s also shown to be stubborn at times and wet the bed against lesser teams. This is the best team we’ll have under Herman by a significant margin. Regardless, we’ll have a definitive answer on Herman after this season for sure.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

So first you bag on Mack Brown then you praise him in this post by pointing out the successful transition while he was a head coach, but given him no credit. For the record, in 2004 to 2005 Texas had a pretty fucking good QB to help offset those player losses. 

You also keep bringing how Texas has been much more competitive against ousux yet we are 1-3 under Herman as already noted. That's going full fucking aggy man.

Tom Herman has still, never, in his head coaching career gone a season without dropping one or more games he shouldn't. However, I saw no mention of this in any of your posts so certainly no attempts to address it. Sure, when his hand was forced he made changes, but I very much believe his hand was forced and he would have retained the same staff given his druthers.

You didn't start this thread to get input, nor in the interest of discussion. You created it to go full fucking aggy and hopefully be able to call out 2%ers if you're full aggy comes to fruition.

wow. i have no idea who you are, or where this insane, bombastic, accusatory type of reaction comes from, but just...wow. calm down there sparky. regroup. start over.

note to self: steer clear of this  BurntEyes guy, who for some reason is behaving like a psycho, jilted ex girlfriends towards you, even though you don't recall ever ha int seen him before.

also, for the record, because you really shouldn't go around saying such moronic stuff out in the open, we absolutely have been more competitive and aggressive against OU under Tom Herman than we have been in a very long time. for you to call my pointing this out "full aggy"? just...just stop. whatever i did to you that has you so upset is clearly fucking with your head. 

Edited by Goo Punch

btw, if you motherfuckers don't stop coming at me like complete fucking assholes over the most benign fucking posts then i am going to follow you around and derka every single thread you fucking try to post in. ENOUGH.

people used to lose their minds at me for behaving exactly the way this psycho brutneyes is. he quotes the most benign posts and then attacks me in such a frantic, accusatory way that i can't even make out a single fucking point that this idiot is attempting to make. keep coming at me sideways for no fucking reason and see how far it takes you. fucking christ so many of you are so much worse than I have been in years. fucking children. 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, Goo Punch said:

god i love our football fans and their incredibly thin skin, overwhelming sense of entitlement, and complete lack of objectivity. listening to the way so many of you talk about program like we're Alabama is hilarious. to paraphrase Mike Leach, "oh poo poo, the mighty Texas Longhorns; fuck you." our football program has been largely irrelevant for *four of the last five decades* and you guys are seriously in here talking about regularly winning the conference and competing for national titles like it should be very baseline of what's considered even competent performance by our HC. same fans who don't even bother to show up to home games unless USC or ND comes to town. get fucking real with these bombastic expectations, and all of the indignant, self righteous anger aimed at Tom Herman as if he's Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart. 

1.) I'm not a UT fan &

2.) I'm replying two months late

but why wouldn't UT fans expect to be as good as Alabama? Y'all have more money than they do, are in a better location, and have just as much brand recognition in the sport and more outside of it.

fuck it, you started it, let's roll. let me try and wade through your angry nonsense to find a coherent point to which i can respond. let's try:

1-You're yelling at me about giving Mack Brown no credit- WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. I literally referred to him as "awesome" when typing about how our 2018 season was the best season we had since Mack Brown "was still awesome back in 2009". I then made a post about how the truly elite programs lose major players and then reload, AND I ALLUDED TO MACK BROWN'S PROGRAM DOING SO on their way to winning a national title in 2005, so where in the FUCK so you come off getting angry at me for "not giving Mack Brown any credit" you fucking dumb, deaf, illiterate mongoloid? 

Then you keep laughing at the idea that we've been more physical and competitive against OU inter Tom Herman which is a *fact* that nobody with a pair of eyes can deny, and you refer to it as "going full aggy". wow. you must be retarded. your one and only counterpoint is that we are 1-3 against OU in that time. AND?!?!?! what the fuck does that have to do with Texas being more physical and competitive? HELLO- the very reason Herman was hired is because our program sucked! meanwhile OU is in the playoffs and has a Heisman winner at QB every year. *OU HAS BEEN THE BETTER/MORE TALENTED TEAM EVERY TIME WE'VE PLAYED* you fucking simpleton. 

jesus you're a fucking moron. 

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

1-3... Is 1-3. You can and knowing you will, continue to lose your shit. No amount of you insane drivel will alter the reality. 

But yeah, to on talking about how well we are playing against Ousux under Herman.

Enjoy yourself you jibbering mad man. 

yes or no: has Te as been more physical and competitive against OU under Tom Herman?

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

1.) I'm not a UT fan &

2.) I'm replying two months late

but why wouldn't UT fans expect to be as good as Alabama? Y'all have more money than they do, are in a better location, and have just as much brand recognition in the sport and more outside of it.

a)nobody should expect to be as good as Alabama, and b) as mentioned, Texas football has been largely irrelevant for 4 of the last 5 decades, yet our fan base still expects/demands that we roll out of bed and go 13-0 every year. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yes or no: Do we pay Herman millions of dollars for moral victories, or real ones? 

see, this is exactly what i'm talking about. this is so childish, and just plain stupid, and yet you think you're making some great point over here. you're taking something i've said that's an indisputable fact (we've been more physical/aggressive/competitive against OU under Herman), and you're responding to it with what i would hoe is not a serious response from an adult, much less one with a Texas education, because it has nothing to do with what i've said, and it does nothing to move the conversation forward; it only serves to start a pointless, childish, and tangential argument.

newsflash: OU has been better than Texas during the Tom Herman era. They've been preseason top 5-10 teams every year while we are unranked; they have had more talent than Texas; more award winners; more All Americans; multiple Heisman winners; more high draft picks; they have been favored to win every game we've played against them. so what fucking point do you think you're even making here? Texas losing to a better team = Tom Herman sucks? That's your big point? That's your counter argument to the *fact* that Texas has been more competitive under Herman? Get fucked. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

see, this is exactly what i'm talking about. this is so childish, and just plain stupid, and yet you think you're making some great point over here. you're taking something i've said that's an indisputable fact (we've been more physical/aggressive/competitive against OU under Herman), and you're responding to it with what i would hoe is not a serious response from an adult, much less one with a Texas education, because it has nothing to do with what i've said, and it does nothing to move the conversation forward; it only serves to start a pointless, childish, and tangential argument.

newsflash: OU has been better than Texas during the Tom Herman era. They've been preseason top 5-10 teams every year while we are unranked; they have had more talent than Texas; more award winners; more All Americans; multiple Heisman winners; more high draft picks; they have been favored to win every game we've played against them. so what fucking point do you think you're even making here? Texas losing to a better team = Tom Herman sucks? That's your big point? That's your counter argument to the *fact* that Texas has been more competitive under Herman? Get fucked. 

Your post is littered with so many ad hominems and immature rantings that you are portraying yourself as a petulant child.  Grow up Derka Derka, please, for everyone's sake.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Put it on the wall.

so there you go. i get it now. you simply hate Tom Herman, and have declared a fatwa on anything that shows that he's done well in any capacity at Texas, yet you're too stupid to come up with any sort of rational counterpoint to the *fact* that we've been more competitive under him, so you resort to this type of posting. I really hope you didn't get a degree from Texas.