Call it now: Does Tom Herman earn job security this season?

Goo Punch

Does Tom Herman earn job security in 2020?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Does Tom Herman earn job security in 2020?

• Yes- his job is secure and Texas fans feel that the program is in good hands
    • No- he has not convinced Texas fans and boosters that he is the man for the job

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/20 at 01:35 AM

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Your post is littered with so many ad hominems and immature rantings that you are portraying yourself as a petulant child.  Grow up Derka Derka, please, for everyone's sake.  

you know if you don't have anything relevant or substantive to add, you can just go ahead and stop replying to the thread. your description of my post is laughable, and frankly sad. but that's the level of discourse i've come to expect from the football board. what can you do.

Well, here's what you (I) can do. I can just put it to you this simply, and if you still don't get it then there's nothing left to say:

OU had a clear mental/physical/aggressive edge over Texas for years, and it was a problem that our fan base was rightfully/vocally upset about. Since Tom Herman has been hired, Texas has been the aggressor, Texas has been more physical, and Texas has brought the attitude to the Cotton Bowl every October, while OU's players have behaved like prima donnas. If this upsets you, then you have no business claiming to be a Texas fan. I don't care how much (or why) you hate the HC, to argue with this fact, or to deem it irrelevant because we haven't gone 4-0 against OU is what's truly going "full aggy". 

Edited by Goo Punch

27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

a)nobody should expect to be as good as Alabama, and b) as mentioned, Texas football has been largely irrelevant for 4 of the last 5 decades, yet our fan base still expects/demands that we roll out of bed and go 13-0 every year. 

yes goo Texas has been more competitive against ou in the herman era . that is factual . but . fuck all that alabama on a pedestal shit . it is cyclical and they have had their share of time in the desert too. and will again . hopefully soon . and i would be happy as fuck if it was a tom herman led Texas team that points them in that direction 

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Well, here's what you (I) can do. I can just put it to you this simply, and if you still don't get it then there's nothing left to say:

OU had a clear mental/physical/aggressive edge over Texas for years, and it was a problem that our fan base was rightfully/vocally upset about. Since Tom Herman has been hired, Texas has been the aggressor, Texas has been more physical, and Texas has brought the attitude to the Cotton Bowl every October, while OU's players have behaved like prima donnas. If this upsets you, then you have no business claiming to be a Texas fan. I don't care how much (or why) you hate the HC, to argue with this fact, or to deem it irrelevant because we haven't gone 4-0 against OU is what's truly going "full aggy". 

We got our shit pushed in last October

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

a)nobody should expect to be as good as Alabama, and b) as mentioned, Texas football has been largely irrelevant for 4 of the last 5 decades, yet our fan base still expects/demands that we roll out of bed and go 13-0 every year. 

Hear me out.  There are vast differences between Bama and UT.  The State of Alabama is like the state of oklahoma.  They only have two teams as far as residents are concerned.  We have four with huge alumni bases and t-shirt fans.  Thrown in the tiny base for TCU and Baylor to add a few fans.  None of those four fan bases compare to Alabama.  They remind me of Arkansas when they were in the SWC.  Every barbara shop, beauty shop, restaurant, truck stop and all levels of state government in oklahoma, Arkansas or Alabama talk football endlessly.  

We lost huge percentages of fan base with pro sports in Dallas and Houston.  Texas is much more diversified.  All that said aggy has spent more than todays PPP programs and has yet to perform at SEC levels or UT under Brown.  I'm no expert on Alabama but I would think if you can walk and chew gum you get admitted to Bama whereas at UT there may be less radical support from today's students.  

4 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

Hear me out.  There are vast differences between Bama and UT.  The State of Alabama is like the state of oklahoma.  They only have two teams as far as residents are concerned.  We have four with huge alumni bases and t-shirt fans.  Thrown in the tiny base for TCU and Baylor to add a few fans.  None of those four fan bases compare to Alabama.  They remind me of Arkansas when they were in the SWC.  Every barbara shop, beauty shop, restaurant, truck stop and all levels of state government in oklahoma, Arkansas or Alabama talk football endlessly.  

We lost huge percentages of fan base with pro sports in Dallas and Houston.  Texas is much more diversified.  All that said aggy has spent more than todays PPP programs and has yet to perform at SEC levels or UT under Brown.  I'm no expert on Alabama but I would think if you can walk and chew gum you get admitted to Bama whereas at UT there may be less radical support from today's students.  

Don't disagree with anything you said except don't knock the barbara shops.

Voted No.  I didn't like the Charlie Strong hire or the Tom Herman hire.  Both coaches had quarterbacks that were just plain better than the defenses they lined up against.  A couple of years with extra ordinary talented QB doesn't make you a coach.  It makes you in the right place at the right time.  

21 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Voted No.  I didn't like the Charlie Strong hire or the Tom Herman hire.  Both coaches had quarterbacks that were just plain better than the defenses they lined up against.  A couple of years with extra ordinary talented QB doesn't make you a coach.  It makes you in the right place at the right time.  

Dude won a national title with a 3rd strong QB. Has he been blessed with nothing but brilliant QBs, or have his QBs been blessed with a guy who knows what to do with QBs? honest question for those who know more than I do. 

21 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

That was always my argument about CB.  See Vince Young :)

On 4/29/2020 at 10:12 PM, dec3169 said:

I don't understand the poll question.  Do you mean job security with Texas?

I would‘ve phrased the question as: “Will we be throwing up our index fingers or our middle fingers at Tom Herman next season?”

Edited by MrBig

On 4/29/2020 at 1:18 PM, Goo Punch said:

1078yq.gif

Granted Strong's performances against OU were one of his relative strengths, but looking solely at the performance against OU under both coaches, I'd give the edge to  Strong, and its not that close considering Strong's teams were generally far weaker than Herman's teams (based on rankings and spreads before the game). That was the one game Strong's teams showed up. We physically beat the shit out of OU in 14 and 15. Regardless a 2-5 record against OU is shit, regardless of who is coaching.

image.png.e28416301bd3640b3d4cedbe0bdfa358.png

Charlie was a disaster, I don't argue that. The program has improved under Herman, I don't argue that. But Herman's performances against  OU, coupled with the Maryland abortions and several other head scratching losses leave me skeptical that Herman is going to get us back to where we were during the peak Mack years. That's what he's getting paid for, not to be marginally better than the potato that preceded him. I'm optimistic we can improve due to staff changes and better recruiting, but far from convinced. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Based on adding 7 new assistant coaches and their 2yr/3yr guaranteed contracts, at a minimum Herman likely coaches both 2020 and 2021 seasons...

It's possible that MensaTom rides into a twelve-game perfect storm and has everything go wrong that possibly can - injuries, defections, arrests, bad reffing, Ash and Yurcich being even worse than predecessors, blah, blah, blah... resulting in a losing season and being fired.

It's possible, but I'd place the probability as less than 1/100 - oughta add a few more zeroes there. 

I'ma stick with my USP - Universal Standard Prediction - of 10-2 +/- 2. I really don't expect worse than 8-4, but even 6-6 doesn't get him fired at the end of this season. But, yeah, 2021 damn well has to be minimally 8-4 or he's gone then. 

• 1 month later...

I now think there is a 60% chance that Tom won't be the head coach next year, and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Could he catch lightning in a bottle with his new coaching staff, sure. Odds are they will be close to what we had before plus or minus a bit.

Covid -19 and now all of the non-football stuff going on. I just doesn't seem like football is or has been the focus. I bet it's the focus in Tuscaloosa, Norman, Columbus and Baton Rouge. 

Since he got here we have been better, but for every sign that we are about to get out of the slump, there is sign that it's going the other way. 

This will be my 51st year of going to Texas football games, so I'd really enjoy being wrong.

• Like 1

This should be a 10 to 11 win team in the regular season.  

World events and the associated activism are either going to result in a feel good ‘remember the Titans’ type season where the team and the fans come together and celebrate the new normal

- or - 

the added pressure and distractions make them crater to a 6-6 season and the fans and alumni turn ugly.  

I’m hoping for the former but these guys don’t seem vested in what it takes to be champions.  

24 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

This should be a 10 to 11 win team in the regular season.    World events and the associated activism are either going to result in a feel good ‘remember the Titans’ type season where the team and the fans come together and celebrate the new normal.   Or -    the added pressure and distractions make them crater to a 6-6 season and the fans and alumni turn ugly.    I’m hoping for the former but these guys don’t seem vested in what it takes to be champions.  

333.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I now think there is a 60% chance that Tom won't be the head coach next year, and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Could he catch lightning in a bottle with his new coaching staff, sure. Odds are they will be close to what we had before plus or minus a bit.

Covid -19 and now all of the non-football stuff going on. I just doesn't seem like football is or has been the focus. I bet it's the focus in Tuscaloosa, Norman, Columbus and Baton Rouge. 

Since he got here we have been better, but for every sign that we are about to get out of the slump, there is sign that it's going the other way. 

This will be my 51st year of going to Texas football games, so I'd really enjoy being wrong.

Agree. OU wins the conference again, news at 6. This team isn't focused on winning right now, for better or worse. I guarantee you, Lincoln Riley has those fucksticks ready to go win another conference title in Norman. That combined with aggy's favorable schedule this year, Tom's going to be feeling insurmountable pressure this year if he doesn't at least make the Big 12 champ.

On the other hand, CDC has already shown he will accept mediocrity (hi Shaka) so I fully expect Herman back in 2021 after another disappointing season capped by a meaningless bowl win. Alamo or Camping World? Who knows.

I'll take the positive side...

• Sam's final year
  • More experience and talent than past years
  • More older players hoping to leave early after Jr year
  • Better OC/DC coaching and playcalling 
  • Better special teams in 2020
  • OL and DL should be better in 2020
  • Ossai should have a monster season
  • Best RB personnel in a long time

Hard not to predict 9+ wins regular season and a probable B12 Championship Game appearance

Edit: Thx to @satyanash

Great article on OL/DL

"Scipio Tex: Putting Money Away On The OL/DL"

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Lincoln Riley has those fucksticks ready to go win another conference title in Norman.

And how hard of a locker room speech is that. "Okay guys while the world is wrapped around their own axel, we are going to focus on football and winning and turning each and every one of you guys into NFL millionaires. When we get that work done you will have the world by the tail and you can "change the world" more than our friends down in Austin ever dreamed of. You will have a full and meaning full life, while they will be lucky to be a footnote, now let's get to work."