Dry Ice chemistry lesson accidentally re-learned by Russian insta-gramer costs 3 lives

AUS-97HORN

It is Russia, so the chances that these folks were drunk out of their minds is probably 90% or more. 

But you cant dump 25 solid kg of pure carbon dioxide into a pool and not have consequences.

Three people have died after dry ice was poured into a swimming pool at a party in Moscow on Friday.

The victims were connected to Instagram influencer Yekaterina Didenko, who was celebrating her 29th birthday at the pool complex in the city's south.

Dry ice had been dumped in the pool after guests exiting the sauna complained it was too warm.

Ms Didenko's husband is reportedly among the dead.

In an earlier video message, the blogger, looking shaken and distressed, said he had been been rushed to intensive care. All the victims are said to be aged about 30.

Presentational white space

A member of the emergency services told Ria news agency that the partygoers had ordered 25kg of dry ice to cool down the pool at the Devyaty Val (Ninth Wave) complex.

Several guests who had been in the sauna dived into the water to cool off.

Immediately the swimmers started to choke and several lost consciousness.

Preliminary analysis indicates the cause of death was suffocation.

Dry ice is a solid form of carbon dioxide and if it is released in an area without proper ventilation, it can cause people to inhale dangerous amounts of the gas.

Ms Didenko is known for posting tips about how to save money on pharmaceutical products on her Instagram page. She has a million followers.

• Like 2

So, CO2 just displaces oxygen in the lungs, right?  CO actually chemically bonds to hemoglobin and actually "poisons" you.

Sublimating dry ice makes so much CO2 you can't get away from it for four minutes or however long you can go without oxygen?  Or is that aided by everybody freaking out and jumping around like KC faggots?

Oh, I see from the video a small indoor pool in a small space.  Still you might think they'd get the victims the fuck out of there.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, all influencers should be loaded on a rocket that is in turn fired into the sun.

Edited by TwiceHorn

That first guy leaping halfway into the pool on the video almost had to be one of the deaths.

Jesus, what a terrible way to go.  One second you're partying down with your friends high on life, and next thing you're dying in a thick layer of carbon dioxide unbeknownst to your friends mere feet away.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, CO2 just displaces oxygen in the lungs, right?  CO actually chemically bonds to hemoglobin and actually "poisons" you.

Sublimating dry ice makes so much CO2 you can't get away from it for four minutes or however long you can go without oxygen?  Or is that aided by everybody freaking out and jumping around like KC faggots?

Oh, I see from the video a small indoor pool in a small space.  Still you might think they'd get the victims the fuck out of there.

I think if the same thing was done outside with just a little wind, it would have been fine. But CO2 is denser than the gasses in air so you have to get above that smoke layer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think if the same thing was done outside with just a little wind, it would have been fine. But CO2 is denser than the gasses in air so you have to get above that smoke layer.

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm a little rusty on my high school chemistry and, before reading this thread, wouldn't instantly think "death trap" if I saw dry ice being poured into a pool.

...but I sure as fuck understand ventilation and circulation and wouldn't be dumb enough to jump in a pool in an enclosed space no bigger than my bedroom that's almost entirely filled with visible fumes.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:56 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Notwithstanding the foregoing, all influencers should be loaded on a rocket that is in turn fired into the sun.

I got this.

CO2 is denser than air, so the CO2 displaced the air (and the O2 dissolved in the air) and those idiots simply suffocated.

CO2 does not chemically bind to hemoglobin, it directly dissolves into the blood, and then effervesces into the air in the lungs.

However, CO does directly bind to hemoglobin. Hemoglobin actually has a higher affinity for CO than O2. This is why CO is much more dangerous than CO2, and CO is toxic at extremely low levels.

Its also possible to get "CO2 poisoning" AKA hypercapnia if CO2 levels are too high in the air (above 1 percent I believe?) due to the CO2 not being able to effervesce out of the blood in the lungs. This causes high acidity in the blood, and a whole host of issues. Above about 5 percent(?), you could die from it. This condition threatened the astronauts in the Apollo 13 mission when all three were crammed into the command module, whose CO2 filters were inadequate to scrub the CO2 produced by three men for that long of a period.

Interesting fact: The feeling of "needing to breathe' is caused by high levels of CO2 in the blood, not by low levels of O2. When you take deep breathes before holding your breathe in order to be able to hold your breathe longer, you are artificially lower your blood CO2 levels below what they normally are. This gives you more time before the CO2 levels get high enough to trigger the "I need to breathe" feeling. You can actually trick your body into being able to hold your breathe long enough to pass out due to lack of O2 before you ever feel the "need to breathe" by deep breathing.