Texas at Tech- ESPN, happening now

Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

greggym, you're a fucking moron and you should leave the board again. 

you're gonna have to wait for another losing streak

9 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

So Coach put a smaller guy on him in hopes of creating a mismatch at the other end.

How did that work out for Coach? Do you remember?

You can hope that lighting your pubic hair on fire will cure your crabs but if you end up with second-degree burns AND you still have crabs, I don't really feel like I should withhold judgment until I personally get crabs, even if someone who's lousy with them says so. 

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

•Prince Ibeh- couldn't see the floor, forced into action when Cam Ridley goes down, ends up being named the Big XII DPOY. 

•Jericho Sims- couldn't see the floor, forced into action when Mo Bamba goes down, averages a double double in league play.

•James Banks- not only recruited to Texas by Shaka, but also named to Shaka's loaded Team USA. Shaka ends up refusing to use him, including egregiously leaving him on the bench in OT vs Duke, in favor of having Eric Davis Jr in the post trying to guard Marvin Bagley. Banks transfers to Georgia Tech where he's been a starter for two years, averaging 10.5 pts, 8 reb, and 3 blocks per game. 

•Royce Hamm- also left on the bench against Duke in favor of EDJ. Has been a gamer every single chance he's gotten, bringing energy, rebounds, and shot blocking. Can't get any PT until an injury crisis forces him into action. 

•Jordan Barnett- Never got a look from Smart who preferred Tevin Mack, a guy who couldn't stay out of trouble and who wasn't even any good when he and Barnett were teammates. Barnett transfers to Mizzou where he averages 14 points and 6 rebounds per game on 42% shooting from deep and 90% from the FT line.

greggym, you're a fucking moron and you should definitely leave the board again, only this time don't come back. 

How many games did Ibeh start instead of Ridley under Barnes when Ridley was healthy. You said that Sims was an average player. Sometimes kids like Banks don't work out and that happens in every major program. I already explained the Duke game and again that proves how little you understand. Hamm has developed under this coaching staff but to claim how well he would have done as a freshman is clueless. I have no clue about Barnett and you don't either. Maybe Coach Smart screwed up and maybe Barnett screwed up. Things like this happen when there is a change of coaches. 

I am staying here because you are comic relief.

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you're gonna have to wait for another losing streak

How did that work out for Coach? Do you remember?

You can hope that lighting your pubic hair on fire will cure your crabs but if you end up with second-degree burns AND you still have crabs, I don't really feel like I should withhold judgment until I personally get crabs, even if someone who's lousy with them says so. 

I do remember. We lost. But sometimes coaches have to take chances. They don't always work. I have never had crabs but if that worked for you, I am happy that you're fine.

35 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

How many games did Ibeh start instead of Ridley under Barnes when Ridley was healthy. You said that Sims was an average player. Sometimes kids like Banks don't work out and that happens in every major program. I already explained the Duke game and again that proves how little you understand. Hamm has developed under this coaching staff but to claim how well he would have done as a freshman is clueless. I have no clue about Barnett and you don't either. Maybe Coach Smart screwed up and maybe Barnett screwed up. Things like this happen when there is a change of coaches. 

I am staying here because you are comic relief.

Barnett transferred at the end of the Shaka's 1st semester on campus. Shaka deserves a lot of legitimate criticism, but holding Barnett against Shaka for not playing him in the 6 or 7 games he had him isn't. He barely played under Barnes as well.

33 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I do remember. We lost. But sometimes coaches have to take chances. They don't always work. I have never had crabs but if that worked for you, I am happy that you're fine.

the Duke game move with EDJ was fucking stupid.  the guy is missing a 68 team tournament on the reg.  he sucks.  he better hope Ramey and AJ keep shooting 45+ percent from deep.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:
•Prince Ibeh- couldn't see the floor, forced into action when Cam Ridley goes down, ends up being named the Big XII DPOY. 
•Jericho Sims- couldn't see the floor, forced into action when Mo Bamba goes down, averages a double double in league play.
•James Banks- not only recruited to Texas by Shaka, but also named to Shaka's loaded Team USA. Shaka ends up refusing to use him, including egregiously leaving him on the bench in OT vs Duke, in favor of having Eric Davis Jr in the post trying to guard Marvin Bagley. Banks transfers to Georgia Tech where he's been a starter for two years, averaging 10.5 pts, 8 reb, and 3 blocks per game. 
•Royce Hamm- also left on the bench against Duke in favor of EDJ. Has been a gamer every single chance he's gotten, bringing energy, rebounds, and shot blocking. Can't get any PT until an injury crisis forces him into action. 
•Jordan Barnett- Never got a look from Smart who preferred Tevin Mack, a guy who couldn't stay out of trouble and who wasn't even any good when he and Barnett were teammates. Barnett transfers to Mizzou where he averages 14 points and 6 rebounds per game on 42% shooting from deep and 90% from the FT line.

greggym, you're a fucking moron and you should definitely leave the board again, only this time don't come back. 

Where are you getting Jordan Barnett's Mizzou numbers from?

82676b9792cc84145e6ce2f312fe6507.jpg

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Where are you getting Jordan Barnett's Mizzou numbers from?

82676b9792cc84145e6ce2f312fe6507.jpg

lol, wow. i said 14 points, it was 13.7; i said 6 rebounds, it was 5.9; i said he shot 42% from three and i was off by one thousandth of a point; i said he shot 90% from the line, it was 89%. holy shit, you really got me there. 

Looking through the game logs of Shaka's first season Prince Ibeh played more than I remembered early in that season.  He apparently was injured for 1 game before Ridley was lost for the year.  Tevin Mack played the least amount among his freshmen cohorts and Jordan Barnett played 13 minutes in his last game at UT and apparently transferred before we played UNC (8 games into his sophomore season). Another guy I thought had limited minutes was DeMarcus Holland.  He began the season as a starter and he and Isaiah Taylor led the team in minutes for the first 5 games of the year. Yancy also played more earlier in the season than I remembered. No wonder they viewed Shaka as playing mind games.  Their minutes diminished significantly over the course of the season in favor of Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach. Connor Lamert was also a surprise minutes hog as well, which makes sense given what we now know about Shaka infatuation for stretch 4s. He and Taylor probably led the team in minutes over the course of the season. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, wow. i said 14 points, it was 13.7; i said 6 rebounds, it was 5.9; i said he shot 42% from three and i was off by one thousandth of a point; i said he shot 90% from the line, it was 89%. holy shit, you really got me there. 

My bad, I thought you were claiming he averaged that for his entire time at Missouri not just for 1 season. 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Y’all crack me up.

The discussion and discourse on here sounds like the Horns got boatraced by 30...

that's because we're not talking about the actual Tech game right now, we're talking about the five year Shaka Smart Experiment and all the interesting ways it can be interpreted 

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That attempt to excuse any-and-every thing excuses nothing. 

I am not excusing anything. Coaches take chances all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. A coach runs a play on 4th and 1. A coach calls for a hit and run. A hoops coach tries to run a full court press to catch the other team off guard..

9 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I am not excusing anything. Coaches take chances all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. A coach runs a play on 4th and 1. A coach calls for a hit and run. A hoops coach tries to run a full court press to catch the other team off guard..

right.  if said coach runs a 50 yard 9 route on 4th and 1 and they don't convert and lose the game they deserve to be skewered.  that is what Shaka did in the Duke game.

Shaka's bigger problem is all the plays leading up to the 4th and 1 suck also.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

right.  if said coach runs a 50 yard 9 route on 4th and 1 and they don't convert and lose the game they deserve to be skewered.  that is what Shaka did in the Duke game.

Shaka's bigger problem is all the plays leading up to the 4th and 1 suck also.

What if its a run. The fact that you have to make that kind of comparison is just plain wrong.

here's the thing about greggym: he and cameltoe are the two posters on this board who are so over-the-top cartoonish and biased with every single post they make that it's impossible to take either one seriously. that said, with cameltoe, there is some mystery as to whether or not he's the world's most dedicated troll, or if he actually believes the shit that she says. with greggym. we *know* that the guy who has literally never criticized the HC and who has an excuse for everything actually believes what he's saying. and beyond that, he actually believes that he's the smartest person here.

If Texas made the tourney and Shaka started five walk-ons and never gave a minute of PT to a scholarship player greggym would not only defend and excuse it, he would insult anyone who was critical of the decision. It's sad. 

Edited by Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I bet that the majority of times its 4th and 1, its a run and not a 50 yard pass.

i bet the majority of the time that a college basketball coach needs someone to guard Marvin Bagley, he chooses a post player, and not a guard. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Thats exactly what a T shirt fan would say. And be 100% wrong.

Without so-called T-shirt fans, there would be very few scholarship athletes. For better or worse, they are your employers. They are the engine that keeps the system going. They are the reason why coaches get inked to multi-million-dollar contracts, and they are why TV networks pay millions to broadcast sporting events.

Boosters might "underwrite" recruits or endow new stadiums and facilities, and alums might provide a steady means of income via season ticket sales and private donations, but it is the T-shirt fans--the ones who are NOT graduates of the schools they support--that fill most seats, that represent the largest slice of the Nielsen pie, and that buy most of the licensed merch.

Doesn't mean they are always right, but it certainly gives them the right to complain about the product.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's because we're not talking about the actual Tech game right now, we're talking about the five year Shaka Smart Experiment and all the interesting ways it can be interpreted 

Thread title doesn’t check out...

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Without so-called T-shirt fans, there would be very few scholarship athletes. For better or worse, they are your employers. They are the engine that keeps the system going. They are the reason why coaches get inked to multi-million-dollar contracts, and they are why TV networks pay millions to broadcast sporting events.

Boosters might "underwrite" recruits or endow new stadiums and facilities, and alums might provide a steady means of income via season ticket sales and private donations, but it is the T-shirt fans--the ones who are NOT graduates of the schools they support--that fill most seats, that represent the largest slice of the Nielsen pie, and that buy most of the licensed merch.

Doesn't mean they are always right, but it certainly gives them the right to complain about the product.

I have no problems with T shirt fans and I agree with you. But most aren't jerks like this one. He thinks he knows more about the game when in fact, he knows so little. Thats why I call him what he is. And he has no clue that the kids deserve support regardless of who the coach is. He thinks he's special when he's not.

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Interesting.  Please show your breakdown of how often coaches have decided to guard Marvin Bagley with 6’3” guards instead of bigger front court players.  I bet you’re about to own Derka with voluminous well researched data on this one.

Coaches make decisions based on their personnel.  To say that this kid or that kid would have been a better option is based on a dream and not reality.  Coach thought that none of the big men would stop Bagley on defense and would probably add nothing on offense so he took; a chance to create a mismatch on the other end. 

You don't need to have volumes of data.  Just a basic understanding of the game.

12 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Coaches make decisions based on their personnel.  To say that this kid or that kid would have been a better option is based on a dream and not reality.  Coach thought that none of the big men would stop Bagley on defense and would probably add nothing on offense so he took; a chance to create a mismatch on the other end. 

You don't need to have volumes of data.  Just a basic understanding of the game.

so the plan was to give up a sure 2 points to Duke hoping our mismatch on the other end would result in a sure 2 or 3 points.  what players were the mismatch he "created" on the other end?

23 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

To say that this kid or that kid would have been a better option is based on a dream and not reality.  

exactly. saying that AJ Abrams would be a better option to shoot a three pointer than, say, Doj Balbay, is based on a dream, and not reality.   greggym gets it. 

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

Is it possible for a Coach to make a mistake when selecting personnel?

Well, greggym has made some of the dumbest logical assertions, defenses, and claims I’ve read in a long time. I mean, he can’t even bring himself to say that guarding Bagley with Eric fucking Davis was a poor choice.

I was about to get all haughty and call him out for his stupidity, but then he made the super legitimate claim that he was on 1 of the top 3 debate squads in the country out of “about a gazillion high schools,” and now all of my criticisms of his rampant idiocy have just been completely undercut. You win this round, greggym. 

I bet he won all of those debates in high school by using the exact same tactics he’s used in this thread: calling the other side t-shirt fans and telling all the judges that he’s on one of the top 3 debate squads in the country.

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well, greggym has made some of the dumbest logical assertions, defenses, and claims I’ve read in a long time. I mean, he can’t even bring himself to say that guarding Bagley with Eric fucking Davis was a poor choice.

I was about to get all haughty and call him out for his stupidity, but then he made the super legitimate claim that he was on 1 of the top 3 debate squads in the country out of “about a gazillion high schools,” and now all of my criticisms of his rampant idiocy have just been completely undercut. You win this round, greggym. 

I bet he won all of those debates in high school by using the exact same tactics he’s used in this thread: calling the other side t-shirt fans and telling all the judges that he’s on one of the top 3 debate squads in the country.

I said that the coach made a decision that he thought would give the team the best shot at wining. I never gave my personal comment on the move because unlike all of you village idiots,  he knows his team better than you  do.  I realize that you're not very bright but I use the term t shirt fan to one person and one person only. And you're putting words in my mouth and then arguing those words when I never said what you claim.

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

I never gave my personal comment on the move 

Yes you did. I said that most coaches wouldn't have done what he did, and you said i was 100% wrong. Ipso facto you think it was the logical, correct move, and only a moronic t shirt fan would think otherwise. 

39 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I said that the coach made a decision that he thought would give the team the best shot at wining. I never gave my personal comment on the move because unlike all of you village idiots,  he knows his team better than you  do.

you are backtracking and dancing around this like you think you're going to get an Article 39a hearing if you're wrong. No one has disputed that Shaka Smart thought his idiotic move gave his team "the best shot at wining". The contention is that it didn't improve our chances of winning that game and instead was the exact kind of "they'll never see this coming!" idiocy that coaches and ex-players think can be defended by saying "oh you never played" and/or "thus you don't understand it". 

The strategy behind the move is obvious-- I'm not sure if you understand that we all get exactly what Smart was trying to accomplish or not-- but so was the result, and the result is what the move is being judged on and I would love to hear you defend how the move turned out. So far your best defense has been the implication that since we couldn't stop Bagley anyway it didn't matter. 

It's not just easy but totally pointless to defend a coach's move by saying "all coaches have to make moves and take chances and he knows his team better than you do". It is equally pointless to assess a move by saying the move was what the coach thought "would give the team the best shot at wining"-- that can be assumed of almost every critical strategic move a coach makes. It doesn't add anything to say so. You are not "debating" anything by being pedantic. 

Do you personally agree with his strategy in that instance, or not?