Texas at Tech- ESPN, happening now

Goo Punch

13 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Nice game by your Horns.

Holy crap they hit clutch shots late in the clock. A Jones was a incredible.  Cunningham provided a very quiet spark, if you will.  Hamm, Jr  came up big. Ramey was there too.

Maybe i read too much on this board, but I was counting on Shaka to fuck things up.  Seemed like he go out of the players' way today.

Not sure if popular opinion, or possibly just a pipedream; but would love to see UT make the dance.

Thanks, nice post.

shaka will foul things up eventually; the players were simply hitting shots and supercharged emotionally today. Also, first time in a while I remember Texas winning the boards.

Edited by Mossyhorn

15 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

holy shit is this team gonna fuck around and make the tournament?

if they win the next 2(which is possible) and end up 4th they are in,  ousux gets bubbled unless they make a run in the big 12 tourney.  I think Tech is in even if they lose 3 in a row.

I can't see the Big 12 getting 6 UNLESS ousux beats Texas and Texas beats OSU and one tourney game.

going to be interesting if the above happens.

Edit forgot WVU.

Edited by dcar00

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is it possible that Shaka’s biggest weakness isn’t coaching offense, coaching defense, recruiting, or player development, but simply an inability to select the right players to give minutes to? Between the performance of this team after the injuries, and the good performances of players who got chased away by Shaka to other schools, it sure seems like that’s his biggest weakness.

We’ll know after the next extension.  

27 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

the players were simply hitting shots

Yeah, the biggest difference in our last 4 games is our 3 pointers are falling.  60%, 42%, 41%, 46%.  In the 4 game skid before that, it was 17%, 26%, 18%, 25%.  Our team lives and dies by the 3 (mainly because we have no other offense).

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Yeah, the biggest difference in our last 4 games is our 3 pointers are falling.  60%, 42%, 41%, 46%.  In the 4 game skid before that, it was 17%, 26%, 18%, 25%.  Our team lives and dies by the 3 (mainly because we have no other offense).

That pretty well sums up Shaka’s offense ... shoot 3’s well and it’s an offensive explosion. Shoot 3’s poorly and it’s just offensive. The problem is he has no Plan B for the latter. 

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That pretty well sums up Shaka’s offense ... shoot 3’s well and it’s an offensive explosion. Shoot 3’s poorly and it’s just offensive. The problem is he has no Plan B for the latter. 

In all honesty without Sims we really have no other option.  In his last 5 or 6 games we actually launched fewer 3s than our overall season average.  Part of the problem is the slow tempo we play with.  When we were fully healthy we should've been playing at a much faster pace to help manufacture some easy buckets.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

WHY HASNT SHAKA BEEN PLAYING THESE GUYS ALL YEAR?!!!!!?

Why hasn’t he had a 10 man rotation all year?!?!?!? Guys like Hamm and Cunningham are clearly adding something 

Hear me out, I'm just brainstorming here, but possibly because he's a shitty coach?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think the injuries forced him into an offensive identity. That is everything runs through Andrew Jones instead of Coleman. If we are going to shoot a bunch of threes, have you best player do so. 

Makes coaching easy for him. Every offensive play is based off AJ. Then go full hustle with the roll players (ones left excell here). He had AJ playing the 6 man 5 games ago. 

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Why hasn’t he had a 10 man rotation all year?!?!?!? Guys like Hamm and Cunningham are clearly adding something 

The bigger the rotation, the dumber coaches act. Erratic sub patterns, weird lineups. Our WBB coach does the same thing. 

Its like a drunk ordering at JITB. Two tacos, a Jumbo Jack, some curly fries and egg rolls. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't know maybe AJ wasn't himself earlier in the season, coming off of chemo and all. Just hunch, but I think he may get better as he gets further and further away from his chemo treatments. 

Very true. I do t think this strategy works if trying it game one. The comment was more that he has zero idea how to create an offensive identity and now one  has been forced on him with no other options and he is free to focus on what he excels at. Defense and hustle. 

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The bigger the rotation, the dumber coaches act. Erratic sub patterns, weird lineups. Our WBB coach does the same thing. 

Its like a drunk ordering at JITB. Two tacos, a Jumbo Jack, some curly fries and egg rolls. 

That's the thing. It wasn't like Shaka was going deep into the roster earlier in the season. He's always had a problem utilizing and managing his full roster. If anything he was too dependent on our frontline players earlier in the season and should've gotten more use out of guys like Brock, Donovan, Will, and even Kai who couldn't get off the bench until we played Georgetown.

Additionally, Shaka has been far too reliant on Febres for all 3 years he's been here. Ever since Jase went of for 27 against Baylor his freshman year Shaka suddenly began treating him like an All-American. Jase should've always been a maximum 20 minute a game player, except for those rare occasions when he was clearly feeling it. Instead Jase was right up there with Matt leading the team in minutes prior to his injury, which is fucking ridiculous considering how one dimensional he is. The offense works much better and has more flow when there are 3 perimeter players who can shoot, drive, and dish. All this being said, Ramey is an enigma. People are pretending that Ramey should've been utilized more earlier in the season. The fact of the matter is, Ramey was pure trash for about 75% of the season and his poor play is a big reason for our poor play earlier in the year. And voila now his improved play has resulted in better team results over the past 4 games. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is that jitb order an example of a great order, or an erratic one?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That's the thing. It wasn't like Shaka was going deep into the roster earlier in the season. He's always had a problem utilizing and managing his full roster. If anything he was too dependent on our frontline players earlier in the season and should've gotten more use out of guys like Brock, Donovan, Will, and even Kai who couldn't get off the bench until we played Georgetown.

Additionally, Shaka has been far too reliant on Febres for all 3 years he's been here. Ever since Jase went of for 27 against Baylor his freshman year Shaka suddenly began treating him like an All-American. Jase should've always been a maximum 20 minute a game player, except for those rare occasions when he was clearly feeling it. Instead Jase was right up there with Matt leading the team in minutes prior to his injury, which is fucking ridiculous considering how one dimensional he is. The offense works much better and has more flow when there are 3 perimeter players who can shoot, drive, and dish. All this being said, Ramey is an enigma. People are pretending that Ramey should've been utilized more earlier in the season. The fact of the matter is, Ramey was pure trash for about 75% of the season and his poor play is a big reason for our poor play earlier in the year. And voila now his improved play has resulted in better team results over the past 4 games. 

agreed.  thats why I keep waiting for the early mid season Ramey to show back up.  when he does we will probably go to shit again.

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Its interesting that you mention those 2 considering that a number of posters earlier in the year thought that both were wasted scholarships. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed.  thats why I keep waiting for the early mid season Ramey to show back up.  when he does we will probably go to shit again.

Yep, Ramey is shooting 33% from 3 on the season, but 38% in conference. If you dig even deeper, over the last 5 games he's shooting 48% from 3. 

Even splitting OKL and OSU here in the next week, we are still line for the #5 seed given tie-breakers.  Can move all the way up to #3 by winning out and getting a little help with Tech and WVU.  That's how f'-up this league is right now.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Even splitting OKL and OSU here in the next week, we are still line for the #5 seed given tie-breakers.  Can move all the way up to #3 by winning out and getting a little help with Tech and WVU.  That's how f'-up this league is right now.  

By winning their next two games, Texas can end up no worse than 4th place regular season in B12... THAT'S CRAZY!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wvu lost to ou. That puts us ahead of them in conference right now, yes?  Any chance we get their spot?

a couple weeks ago, they were projected as a #2 seed. Playing their way almost out of the tournament is like reliving the 2009-2010 season

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Additionally, Shaka has been far too reliant on Febres for all 3 years he's been here. Ever since Jase went of for 27 against Baylor his freshman year Shaka suddenly began treating him like an All-American. 

The Febres thing has never made any sense. Dude has had like 2 good games in 3 years and we ran the whole offense through him 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The Febres thing has never made any sense. Dude has had like 2 good games in 3 years and we ran the whole offense through him 

He's overly concerned with spacing. Having a supposed dead eye threat from 3 isn't the only way to maintain spacing. Movement, both ball and player, can force the d to move and create space as well. Hamm and Cunningham's constant movement and energy has helped to create space, and they give us the added benefit of consistently crashing the offensive boards, especially Cunningham who often does it from a wing position. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

41 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He's overly concerned with spacing.

Also: spacing without movement or an interior presence is pointless. Spacing can work because it stretches and stresses a defense, but when everyone stands still on the perimeter, the defense doesn't have to do anything. it doesn't even have to worry about giving up offensive rebounds, just wait for the brick, grab the rebound, go down to the other end, take a better shot, rinse and repeat.

7 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Its interesting that you mention those 2 considering that a number of posters earlier in the year thought that both were wasted scholarships. 

well, when you refuse to play guys who're on scholarship, they are being wasted. lucky for us, an injury crisis forced Shaka's hand, and whaddaya know- these guys have a lot to contribute. 

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Tech's last two games are against Baylor and Kansas. WVU still has to play Baylor as well. A 3rd or 4th place finish is legitimately possible. Sadly, that is the kind of slightly above average mediocrity that keeps coaches employed.

Edited by Sock Monkey

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

well, when you refuse to play guys who're on scholarship, they are being wasted. lucky for us, an injury crisis forced Shaka's hand, and whaddaya know- these guys have a lot to contribute. 

More nonsense from the t shirt fan. Coaches don't spend time. money and effort to recruit a young man to sit him on the bench. The kid has to prove himself and sometimes it takes some kids longer than other kids. Kids at all levels get chances when there is an injury. Some kids respond positively and some kids don't. This happens in all sports at all levels. You are so clueless that you think this is a cheap shot at Coach Smart. Its not. It shows how little you really know.

And, all the kids are contributing.

• Fuck You 2

34 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

More nonsense from the t shirt fan. Coaches don't spend time. money and effort to recruit a young man to sit him on the bench. The kid has to prove himself and sometimes it takes some kids longer than other kids. Kids at all levels get chances when there is an injury. Some kids respond positively and some kids don't. This happens in all sports at all levels. You are so clueless that you think this is a cheap shot at Coach Smart. Its not. It shows how little you really know.

And, all the kids are contributing.

Jase Febres is example #1 of where you are wrong.  he never proved anything and was a disaster on D yet played high level starter minutes for 2 years.  someone else should have had his minutes all season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i honestly don't have a clue what the fuck it is you're even trying to say here, or why you're so upset. but you stay angry greggym. keep doing you. 

I am not angry. I was merely responding to your clueless comment. Of course you don't understand due to your limited knowledge of hoops.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

okie dokie. you're out here claiming that people were bashing Brock Cunningham this season, which is just plain fucking false. the truth is that people were asking all sorts of valid questions about him such as, "why did he start the season opener only to never play again?" or, "Why did we offer Cunningham if he's never going to play?" that's it. not that you would even know what anyone here has been talking about since you've been conspicuously absent from this board ever since Texas started dropping games left and right while your boy Shaka got owned night in and night out. but now that we've won four games in a row (first winning streak of 3+ games since Shaka's first season here) you're suddenly back, talking your usual brand of clueless, unintelligible, angry shit. great stuff greggym, as always. 

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

More nonsense from the t shirt fan. Coaches don't spend time. money and effort to recruit a young man to sit him on the bench.

also, this shows how completely clueless you are, as recruiting talented players only to never actually play them is pretty much the #1 thing that Shaka Smart is known for, aside from finishing under .500 in the conference every year. it's been a major topic of discussion around here, particularly lately since he's suddenly being forced to play guys who used to never play. but hey, you played at Texas 70 years ago, so that means you're right and the rest of us/the cold hard facts are wrong. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

more evidence that you're fucking clueless and dead wrong: Will Baker gets PT all season long, has the worst season by any player in NCAA history. Brock Cunningham gets zero run all year, is forced into action in our toughest, most important games, and is an instant impact guy. but yeah, you're 100% right that Shaka was just waiting for Brock to be ready. 🙄 

Why can’t both be correct, Goo?  Clearly we are upset at Shaka’s roster management for 5 years so we are not cutting him any slack, this year, for lack of playing Cunningham and Hamm more earlier in the season.  What if these guys truly showed something more later in practice that we are not privy to, when pressed into more meaningful roles out of necessity. What if they, I don’t know, developed?

And by the way, I distinctly remember people denigrating these two in particular all year including you with Hamm, and Hamm has played meaningful minutes all year. 

I want Shaka gone. So I get the knee jerk responses toward his roster management this year. His insistence on Febres is ridiculous. Febres should play 10 minutes in a reserve role and if he hits a couple 3s, maybe 15 - 20 tops. I just think it’s interesting a guy who you initially engage can elicit back-to-back-to-back long, angry posts out of you. Why?  He Fred McGriff’d your ass. 

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

And by the way, I distinctly remember people denigrating these two in particular all year including you with Hamm, and Hamm has played meaningful minutes all year. 

The fuck?! I've been Hamm's biggest supporter his entire career here, I can't even count the number of times i've posted that he should have been receiving more PT his entire career here. That's a fucking preposterous claim. Also, how was anyone able to bag on Cunningham's play when he never played to begin with?

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The fuck?! I've been Hamm's biggest supporter his entire career here, I can't even count the number of times i've posted that he should have been receiving more PT his entire career here. That's a fucking preposterous claim. Also, how was anyone able to bag on Cunningham's play when he never played to begin with?

Okay, sorry. Mixed you up with others. Many others. 

21 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Why can’t both be correct, Goo?  Clearly we are upset at Shaka’s roster management for 5 years so we are not cutting him any slack, this year, for lack of playing Cunningham and Hamm more earlier in the season.  What if these guys truly showed something more later in practice that we are not privy to, when pressed into more meaningful roles out of necessity. What if they, I don’t know, developed?

Dude this conversation has been going on ever since Shaka benched all of his available big men in OT vs Duke three years ago, this is nowhere close to being a conversation that started this season. here is a SUPER long post i made on this subject more than two years ago, which by the way, starts off with me advocating for Royce Hamm.

and finally, greggym is an insulting, belligerent prick who blindly slurps Shaka Smart, while being one of the least informed, most hostile posters here. his insulting and frankly retarded post claiming that Shaka wasn't forced into using his bench by our rash of injuries is simply his latest "Shaka is great and all of you are stupid" post. that's all he does. the fact that he disappeared from this board when Texas was doing awful, only to suddenly reappear after a four game win streak, slurping shaka and insulting other posters, says everything there is to know about him. 

Edited by Goo Punch

40 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Dude this conversation has been going on ever since Shaka benched all of his available big men in OT vs Duke three years ago, this is nowhere close to being a conversation that started this season. here is a SUPER long post i made on this subject more than two years ago, which by the way, starts off with me advocating for Royce Hamm.

and finally, greggym is an insulting, belligerent prick who blindly slurps Shaka Smart, while being one of the least informed, most hostile posters here. his insulting and frankly retarded post claiming that Shaka wasn't forced into using his bench by our rash of injuries is simply his latest "Shaka is great and all of you are stupid" post. that's all he does. the fact that he disappeared from this board when Texas was doing awful, only to suddenly reappear after a four game win streak, slurping shaka and insulting other posters, says everything there is to know about him. 

Nice try little T shirt guy. Anyone that disagrees with your wisdom is insulting and belligerent.  You constantly attack posters that disagree with your opinion. You went after Sam a while back on the football site and the majority of posters came at you for your stupidity. I am certainly not alone. I support the program. It doesn't mean that I like what is going on all the time. But unlike you, I support the kids regardless because unlike you, I recognize how difficult it is to get to this level and the hard work it takes to succeed at this level. You have no clue. I support Coach Smart just like I supported Coach Barnes, Coach Penders, Coach Weltlich, Coach Lemons and Coach Black. And if there is a coaching change, I will wish Coach Smart well like I have all of the others and support the new coach.

And I have posted little the last 4 games. Using the Duke game proves again you have no clue. None of our big men were going to stop the Duke kid. So Coach put a smaller guy on him in hopes of creating a mismatch at the other end. But you probably never saw that in a video so you wouldn't understand. And you're the same t shirt guy tat will make a post nanoseconds after a diagramed play doesn't work but never seem to do the same when a diagramed play does work and there have been many that have. When we are televised, you may want to pay attention to the announcers because it will immediately increase your knowledge of the sport. 

• Like 1

•Prince Ibeh- couldn't see the floor, forced into action when Cam Ridley goes down, ends up being named the Big XII DPOY. 

•Jericho Sims- couldn't see the floor, forced into action when Mo Bamba goes down, averages a double double in league play.

•James Banks- not only recruited to Texas by Shaka, but also named to Shaka's loaded Team USA. Shaka ends up refusing to use him, including egregiously leaving him on the bench in OT vs Duke, in favor of having Eric Davis Jr in the post trying to guard Marvin Bagley. Banks transfers to Georgia Tech where he's been a starter for two years, averaging 10.5 pts, 8 reb, and 3 blocks per game. 

•Royce Hamm- also left on the bench against Duke in favor of EDJ. Has been a gamer every single chance he's gotten, bringing energy, rebounds, and shot blocking. Can't get any PT until an injury crisis forces him into action. 

•Jordan Barnett- Never got a look from Smart who preferred Tevin Mack, a guy who couldn't stay out of trouble and who wasn't even any good when he and Barnett were teammates. Barnett transfers to Mizzou where he averages 14 points and 6 rebounds per game on 42% shooting from deep and 90% from the FT line.

greggym, you're a fucking moron and you should definitely leave the board again, only this time don't come back. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

more evidence that you're fucking clueless and dead wrong: Will Baker gets PT all season long, has the worst season by any player in NCAA history. Brock Cunningham gets zero run all year, is forced into action in our toughest, most important games, and is an instant impact guy. but yeah, you're 100% right that Shaka was just waiting for Brock to be ready. 🙄 

The coaches see these kids every day. You don't. Brock is a redshirt so he has already gone through a year and has an understanding of what it takes at this level. Baker has had a learning curve and it look like the light may be coming on for him. After this upcoming offseason, he could become huge for us over the next couple of season. And again being a t shirt fan, you don't understand that playing time is quite often dictated by position and game situations.

• Like 1