Dispatches from Elsewhere

Prepuce of Doom

I feel like I have to watch every episode, as it was filmed all over Philadelphia last year (turns out my apartment is in the JeJune Institute!) so it will be cool to see how it ended up. Jason Segel became a local legend and there are tons of anecdotes around the city of how approachable and friendly he was.

One episode in, it's hard to follow the plot, but the show doesn't take itself too seriously so that helps with the lighthearted, hopeful vibe. And the four lead actors have some chemistry and obvious talent/experience. I'll post another update after I catch up on tonight's ep.

OK, two episodes in, still really like the vibe. It's definitely got a Michel Gondry feel (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotted Mind) with colorful, somewhat bizarre visuals and frequent diversional elements that add context and move the story along. Not a lot of LOLs, but I've never felt bored or rolled my eyes at anything, which is rare for me and TV.

The plot as we know it follows four lead characters who have all opted to join a social mission (or is it a game?) with strangers. Our heroes quest is to find a girl named Clara, but we have little idea why. There are two organizations apparently competing for their assistance: Elsewhere Society and the Jejune Institute.

It's well done. Not a typical show this board would follow, and I have to admit I might not stick it out very long if not for the Philly location. But it moves pretty quickly and definitely not predictable, so far.

• Like 1

Pos rep for a very well done and appropriate review bartle. I have no idea what’s going on really or where it’ll go but we’ve been enjoying it and will keep watching. Only eye roll moment was when the alarm went off and she was like “they’re here, we must go”. Was very close to  middle school musical type of acting. 

Made me wonder why there aren’t more marketing projects like this. Reminded me kind of when 9 inch nails hid a secret message in a song and in their/his CD case that led them to a location for a private concert. I know there is a company or 2 that run things like this but think it’d be a sure fire way to get people involved and talking. 

Wife and I are really enjoying this. More than expected. You can see some of yourself in each character and we've grown to appreciate/relate to each of them. For the moment, it has our attention and we anxiously await the next episode.

• 4 weeks later...