Jewish kid kicked off Anderson HS robotics team for making anti-Semetic joke

Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Actually, I can see taking the hard stance that absolutely nobody can make that kind of joke at school or a school function. I have no issue with that.

But the punishment here is so outlandishly excessive that somebody should have snapped out of it at some point. If you have that kind of zero tolerance policy then make the kid write "I will refrain from offensive jokes" 50 times on a sheet of notebook paper and call it a day. More realistically, if you're the adult then you just walk up to him and say "You can't say that here, even as a deflection or defense mechanism." Then the kid probably wouldn't do it again and the situation is over before it started.

all this

I'm married  to a Jew, sometimes the wife and her family and my in-laws will make jokes about Jews. I do not and I don't think should or anyone else should. same goes for chinks, spic, wops, whitey,...well you get my drift. 

Edited by next2naus

Just now, next2naus said:

all this

I'm married the Jews, sometimes they make jokes about Jews. I do not and I don't they or anyone else should. same goes for chinks, spic, wops, whitey,...well you get my drift. 

tv land 90ies GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

From what I've heard, this Wrencher guy has really helped turn Anderson's robotics program from a massively underachieving pile of shit to something that will maybe be representative of the talent at the school. So I'm betting there's more to it than this innocuous joke. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Bullshit.  You a Jew, you can make that joke. 

Just like blacks can casually toss around the n-word?

Bullshit. 

If it's wrong, it's wrong. 

Stop with the identity politics bullshit. Jews and blacks don't get a free pass for being anti-semitic or racist. But that would have to acknowledge that whitey isn't the source of all evil in the world. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 4

59 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That is going to do less than nothing to stop the behavior. This guy was a teenager for christ sake. 

This guy was on the high school robotics team. Now I admit my interactions with teenagers don't cover the gamut of personalities but I feel pretty confident in saying that what I wrote previously would be more likely than not to stop the behavior by that particular demographic.

Now don't get me wrong, he'd probably still say it around his close friends, but if he knew he was going to get in trouble for saying it openly around people he didn't know very well then he would almost certainly stop doing it.

31 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Bullshit. 

Stop with the identity politics bullshit. Jews and blacks don't get a free pass for being anti-semitic or racist. But that would have to acknowledge that whitey isn't the source of all evil in the world. 

cloakroom is elsewhere

Edited by elfenix

33 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Bullshit. 

who the fuck is going to determine what's wrong and what's acceptable? you?

sometimes a joke is just a joke. and if no one gets offended, is it still wrong?

everyone needs to lighten the fuck up and quit being so woke and anti-woke. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Bullshit. 

what in the world?

I make the joke because I am self-deprecating in nature, not because of whatever the hell kind of bullshit you are spouting here.

Also, I obviously don't speak for all Jews, but I feel strangely about someone associating "I'm going to pick up this coin lol" with the n-word.  A stereotype isn't really the same as a derogatory term, at least IMO.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

who the fuck is going to determine what's wrong and what's acceptable? you?

sometimes a joke is just a joke. and if no one gets offended, is it still wrong?

everyone needs to lighten the fuck up and quit being so woke and anti-woke. 

Oh fuuuuuck you.. no......wait...  I agree with you.... shit I'm so confused just who can you pick on now ?  Seems like it's just rednecks, and whoever your arch rival is in college sports..... and the Dutch of course.

“Worse yet, Wrencher wrote a letter to a national organization attempting to blackball J.M. from robotics competitions forever,” it says.

This is where I joined Team Jew.  Fuck this guy.  I hope his bank account gets assraped with punitive damages.

Here's an odd deal.  Maybe someone has a similar experience.

I and I believe most of my school peers were almost wholly unaware of antisemitism until we read The Merchant of Venice and Shylock was given context (that same year, we read The Chosen, which I think was intended to deepen our understanding of Jewish culture).

In any event, post-Shylock, a rash of anti-Semitic jokes (can I Stein a quarter off you at lunch?) much like this one made the rounds.  A part of the humor in it was the absurdity of the stereotype.  They were made unselfconsciously in front of and to Jewish students, who were reasonably well liked and not ostracized.  It may have been insensitive, but it wasn't intended to be mean or cruel.

A weird deal.  Objectively racist, but subjectively not intended to subjugate Jews or anything, at least not any more than any other teen stupidity or casual cruelty.  If overheard, probably would have gotten an admonishment from the teacher, an apology from the offender, and maybe a discussion about stereotypes and whatnot.  Nothing severe, at least not in this type of context.

I don't believe any of the jokers turned into hard (or soft) core racists or antisemites.

I suppose any of this has a negative effect in a "die of a thousand cuts" sense, and I suppose there's a slippery slope involved in "normalizing" such things, but so much seems to be a huge overreaction.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I and I believe most of my school peers were almost wholly unaware of antisemitism until we read The Merchant of Venice and Shylock was given context (that same year, we read The Chosen, which I think was intended to deepen our understanding of Jewish culture).

In any event, post-Shylock, a rash of anti-Semitic jokes (can I Stein a quarter off you at lunch?) much like this one made the rounds.  A part of the humor in it was the absurdity of the stereotype.  They were made unselfconsciously in front of and to Jewish students, who were reasonably well liked and not ostracized.  It may have been insensitive, but it wasn't intended to be mean or cruel.

A weird deal.  Objectively racist, but subjectively not intended to subjugate Jews or anything, at least not any more than any other teen stupidity or casual cruelty.  If overheard, probably would have gotten an admonishment from the teacher, an apology from the offender, and maybe a discussion about stereotypes and whatnot.  Nothing severe, at least not in this type of context.

I don't believe any of the jokers turned into hard (or soft) core racists or antisemites.

I suppose any of this has a negative effect in a "die of a thousand cuts" sense, but so much seems to be a huge overreaction.

I'm still offended to this day that Brian Piccilo called Gayle Sayers a n#########er

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

Bullshit. 

Nigga please

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

what in the world?

I make the joke because I am self-deprecating in nature, not because of whatever the hell kind of bullshit you are spouting here.

Also, I obviously don't speak for all Jews, but I feel strangely about someone associating "I'm going to pick up this coin lol" with the n-word.  A stereotype isn't really the same as a derogatory term, at least IMO.

I see your point, but really? You can make some offensive joke against jews but it's ok because you are (or claim to be) a jew boy? And I'm part jewish, ftr. 

Oh yeah, but it only mildly plays into one of the oldest stereotypes against jews, so it's ok. 

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

RIchard Kinky Bigdick Friedman concurs.

Because They Don't Make Jews Like Jesus Anymore.

Yeah, I think this points to the need for making the point that one should self-police instead of relying on  "authority" to impose the punishment.  For kids, it has to come across as a disconnect when Dave Chappelle etc. tells jokes with extreme racial content, but suffers no consequences.

The lesson is "well son, Dave Chappelle is funny as hell, and you aren't.  He knows if he were to overstep some boundary, which for him is pretty far out there (because he's funny as hell), then he'll get smacked down by his audience and lose income.  It's kinda like how you aren't gonna play basketball in college (did I tell you that yet, son?  you aren't playing college ball), much less the NBA."

I think the lesson is really simple to teach teenagers and they are perfectly capable of understanding it. It is based on the forum. If you go to a Dave Chappelle show then you know what you signed up for. Somebody at a high school robotics club meeting did not sign up for off-color jokes.

There are times when professing your love for the girl you've had a crush on for 2 years is appropriate. The middle of a trigonometry test is not that time. Same concept, and very simple to understand.

Well, I'm pretty sure if I go to a Chappelle concert and engage other concertgoers with racially charged jokes before the show starts, I'm not gonna fare too well.  It's still about knowing yourself and the world beyond one's self.  But yes, "know your environment" is a great lesson.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

BTW, It was not an anti-semitic joke. It was a Jewish joke.

Y'all hear about the new Jewish tire company?

Firestein.  They make tires that will stop on a dime and pick and it up, too. 

-- Joke told to me by one Bill Rosencrantz.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

But yes, "know your environment" is a great lesson.

This is especially true if you have a vindictive cunt of a teacher who's gonna go all Burt Nickerson on you and try to ruin your future before you've even reached adulthood.  I really do hope this guy gets mudholed by the court.

8 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This is especially true if you have a vindictive cunt of a teacher who's gonna go all Burt Nickerson on you and try to ruin your future before you've even reached adulthood.  I really do hope this guy gets mudholed by the court.

Again, I really doubt we have anything like the whole picture. According to the allegations, not only did the teacher refuse to head up the program if the student remained, but the other students ostracized him too. That doesn't happen because of a single off-color joke. If it was truly just the teacher, going on a power-trip, you'd think the other students would be happy to get rid of him too. It doesn't sound like that is the case. Maybe the teacher turns out to just be a complete asshole, but I'm betting there is a whole lot of shit that was omitted by the kid's family.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Again, I really doubt we have anything like the whole picture. According to the allegations, not only did the teacher refuse to head up the program if the student remained, but the other students ostracized him too. That doesn't happen because of a single off-color joke.

In the hyper-sensitive PC drama queen world we live in today, I wouldn't rule it out.  The kid is gonna have to have done something pretty awful to warrant an attempt to blackball him.  

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

I see your point, but really? You can make some offensive joke against jews but it's ok because you are (or claim to be) a jew boy? And I'm part jewish, ftr. 

Oh yeah, but it only mildly plays into one of the oldest stereotypes against jews, so it's ok. 

You are missing the point. The argument is the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that similar verbal transgressions aren't similarly penalized, and that being self deprecating about something you're doing is in no way similar to calling someone a nigger. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I and I believe most of my school peers were almost wholly unaware of antisemitism until...

Are you jewish? If so I'm confused how it would be possible to grow up almost wholly unaware of antisemitism if you've learned anything about WWII or even Nixon. I forget at what age I became aware of it but I was very young.

As an adult I lived in Slovakia for a short time and learned there are still people in the world who believe jews have horns growing on top of their head.

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm betting there is a whole lot of shit that was omitted by the kid's family.

*the kid's family's attorney.

The lawsuit was initiated by the student's family, therefore AISD will have every opportunity to answer unfettered by academic privacy laws. If there is more to the story and a reason that sufficiently explains the teacher's seeming extremely vindictive actions, it will come out.

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

*the kid's family's attorney.

The lawsuit was initiated by the student's family, therefore AISD will have every opportunity to answer unfettered by academic privacy laws. If there is more to the story and a reason that sufficiently explains the teacher's seeming extremely vindictive actions, it will come out.

First, the attorney is an agent of the family, so I'm comfortable with my original phrasing. And I'm not sure that second part is entirely true. While the school district will be able to answer and flesh out its defense before the court (and ultimately a jury if it gets that far), I don't think the district gets to make everything public. We'll get a general denial filed in court. Everything else will happen behind the scenes or will be filed under seal.