Why do Republicans Hate Democracy?

Texas leads the way in closing polling places, with 750 of them being closed in eight years.  Upshot? It's getting harder and harder for minorities to vote:

On a local level, the changes can be stark. McLennan county, home to Waco, Texas, closed 44% of its polling places from 2012 to 2018, despite the fact that its population grew by more than 15,000 people during the same time period, with more than two-thirds of that growth coming from Black and Latinx residents.

In 2012, there was one polling place for every 4,000 residents. By 2018 that figure had dropped to one polling place per 7,700 residents. A 2019 paper by University of Houston political scientists found that after the county’s transition to vote centers, more voting locations were closed in Latinx neighborhoods than in non-Latinx neighborhoods, and that Latinx people had to travel farther to vote than non-Hispanic whites.

Some counties closed enough polling locations to violate Texas state law. Brazoria county, south of Houston, closed almost 60% of its polling locations between 2012 and 2018, causing it to fall below the statutory minimum, along with another county. In a statement, Brazoria county clerk Joyce Hudman said the closures were inadvertent, and that this would not happen again in 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

• Like 1

Article kind of skirts around the fact that these counties have transitioned to the Larimer model (county-wide voting) from precinct voting.  Which actually does the opposite of what the article claims.

Edited by JBJ

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Article kind of skirts around the fact that these counties have transitioned to the Larimer model (county-wide voting) from precinct voting.  Which actually does the opposite of what the article claims.

i dunno if i'd go so far as to say it does the opposite.  if the poll sites near work and near home were closed it could still be more burdensome. 

Edited by elfenix

Because dumb people deserve no voice and need to be ruled like the cattle they are. If they cant figure out how to be born rich, lucky, or immoral, they deserve our leadership and guidance not their money. /oligarchs

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i dunno if i'd go so far as to say it does the opposite.  if the poll sites near work and near home were closed it could still be more burdensome. 

That's just arguing the anecdotal vs the general.

More people will have more opportunity (or less hassle) to get to a place where they can vote than before.  This has been shown everywhere the system has been implemented.  Most of us on the board (assuming most of us live in Texas metros) have experienced the change firsthand and would never go back.

Edited by JBJ

13 minutes ago, JBJ said:

That's just arguing the anecdotal vs the general.

More people will have more opportunity (or less hassle) to get to a place where they can vote than before.  This has been shown everywhere the system has been implemented.  Most of us on the board (assuming most of us live in Texas metros) have experienced the change firsthand and would never go back.

and most of us on the board are well educated, own our own cars, and don't do shift work.

Edited by elfenix

At risk of breaking up the circle jerk and generating some #bothsides quips, I just point out that the Democratic party primary process is fundamentally un-democratic. In the past when this has been pointed out, we have been told that the political parties are private entities and can run their primaries any way they want. The entire fucking system is un-democratic and is intended to benefit the entrenched interests of the political establishment at the expense of democracy. Sorry, not sorry. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

At risk of breaking up the circle jerk and generating some #bothsides quips, I just point out that the Democratic party primary process is fundamentally un-democratic. In the past when this has been pointed out, we have been told that the political parties are private entities and can run their primaries any way they want. The entire fucking system is un-democratic and is intended to benefit the entrenched interests of the political establishment at the expense of democracy. Sorry, not sorry. 

So you're saying that removal of polling places for primaries AND GENERAL ELECTIONS by the gop is ok because #bothsides aren't perfect?

Just want to understand what you're deliniating based on, because the closed polling stations aren't just for primaries which makes your point moot. 

Just now, Captainant said:

So you're saying that removal of polling places for primaries AND GENERAL ELECTIONS by the gop is ok because #bothsides aren't perfect?

Just want to understand what you're deliniating based on, because the closed polling stations aren't just for primaries which makes your point moot. 

You should just read what I actually post.  It is less rhetorically advantageous than building a strawman, but maybe more insightful to my perspective.  I am saying "The entire fucking system is un-democratic and is intended to benefit the entrenched interests of the political establishment at the expense of democracy." The very fact that one political party would apparently control the operation of polling stations is pretty firm evidence of this position. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

You should just read what I actually post.  It is less rhetorically advantageous than building a strawman, but maybe more insightful to my perspective.  I am saying "The entire fucking system is un-democratic and is intended to benefit the entrenched interests of the political establishment at the expense of democracy." The very fact that one political party would apparently control the operation of polling stations is pretty firm evidence of this position. 

I see that is what you're copy/pasta-ing into the thread now that you've posted it. I don't think I built a strawman argument since I was directly addressing points that you raised in throwing mud at the DNC primary process when the context was about polling locations generally. 

But sure, you're welcome to change your argument to "it's all unfair, so why care" (which is distinct from your first post), but don't get mad at me for reading exactly what you wrote and not what you posted after being called on it

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I see that is what you're copy/pasta-ing into the thread now that you've posted it. I don't think I built a strawman argument since I was directly addressing points that you raised in throwing mud at the DNC primary process when the context was about polling locations generally. 

The context was captured in the thread title "Why do Republicans Hate Democracy?". My argument is not changing, I am just trying to make the central thesis clear to you, since you seem to be confused easily. 

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

But sure, you're welcome to change your argument to "it's all unfair, so why care" (which is distinct from your first post), but don't get mad at me for reading exactly what you wrote and not what you posted after being called on it

He literally quoted himself from his earlier post.

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Great contribution 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The context was captured in the thread title "Why do Republicans Hate Democracy?". My argument is not changing, I am just trying to make the central thesis clear to you, since you seem to be confused easily. 

Oh sorry, I thought your central thesis was that since the dems have an unfair primary process, and since both sides are undemocratic, we may as well let it happen.

Atleast that's how it reads to me, since you didn't really contribute to the conversation around the concerted effort by the GOP to close polling stations and make it systemically more difficult for minorities to vote. But you did find it important to your thesis to say that dems are bad too.

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sorry you can't read. 

Sorry you care more about attacking democrats than voting rights being slowly stripped away from minorities in a decades long concerted effort by the gop and gop alone, who are also the party responsible for the drastic reduction in access to voting generally. 

Just now, Captainant said:

Sorry you care more about attacking democrats than voting rights being slowly stripped away from minorities in a decades long concerted effort by the gop and gop alone, who are also the party responsible for the drastic reduction in access to voting generally. 

He only cares about thread derailing with his faux both sides bullshit. 

Got to hand it to him, he’s pretty good at it.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My "attack" is against the entire rigged system. This includes both the republican and democratic party establishments.  I mean, one of the candidates on the Democratic ballot says it's fucking rigged.  Another keeps his mouth shut cause he thinks maybe they won't fuck him this time. They are wrong. And once again, the fact that a political party apparently controls the operation of polling stations is face value evidence of the overall point.  But continue huffing with jimmy.  

Just now, Anastasis said:

My "attack" is against the entire rigged system. This includes both the republican and democratic party establishments.  I mean, one of the candidates on the Democratic ballot says it's fucking rigged.  Another keeps his mouth shut cause he thinks maybe they won't fuck him this time. They are wrong. And once again, the fact that a political party apparently controls the operation of polling stations is face value evidence of the overall point.  But continue huffing with jimmy.  

Sure, but rather than talk about how it's only the GOP stripping away rights, which for some reason the dems didn't do when they had total control in 2008, since you always love to make those comparisons. 

It's that you're missing the fucking point because you're too busy looking for the middle ground so you can just say "everyone sucks". And then, you cling to your point that nobody but you was really arguing rather and talk down to people who call you out. 

You may be a troll, but you really have mastered the cable news talking head-fu, so congrats I guess?

The premise of the article is wrong.  Let's say you are in voting district 78 (I don't know if that's a minority district or not). But it's basically SE of Waco on 84 extending to McGregor and north to Crawford.

People are way more convenienced by being able to vote in McGregor, Crawford, Windsor, or Speegleville than all having to go to some unincorporated bumfuck place to vote which may not even be closer to their actual home than those listed above and is much less likely closer their place of work. 

But none of those places are within their actual district, so disenfranchised?

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

This is an interesting topic, but I’d rather point out that black peoples seem to hate Mayor Pete. So I propose to you instead of talking about republicans and voter suppression, why do the black people hate mayor Pete?

On 2/26/2020 at 11:14 AM, JimmyJames said:

Are you being serious or is this a joke? 

See look, I can use you to ask you stupid questions.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Pretty obvious that Dems just aren’t as adept at it as republicans. If they cared, they would focus on the disenfranchised but that may result in the minorities getting uppity requiring real change. 

Edited by LABEVO

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Which candidate said it’s rigged?

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

sorry you skipped american history class. 

13 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Oh another unbiased, feel good thread here in the echo chamber, lol....

If you're more interested in calling things down the middle, perhaps you'd be interested in the Court cases on this very thing, with hundreds of pages of opinions analyzing thousands of pages of evidence.  Which conclude that Republicans hate democracy. 

One day you (not you you, but some hypothetical non-garbage you) will wonder how you convinced yourself you were on the right side of these issues.  It isn't like it takes Columbo to unravel these mysteries.  They are a matter of public record.  It is as true as 2+2=4.  But it feels scary for you to learn things, so you type 'lol this is so bias' and move on. 

Gotta love our loveable troll Anastasis. Derails a thread with a both sides argument that has little to do with the original OP, then proceeds to call people stupid for not understanding his “thesis.” Thus harkening the arrival of the backup trolls (socks?) to provide some cover. 

These are great days we’re living, bros! 

Edited by JimmyJames