Why do Republicans Hate Democracy?

3 hours ago, Thrawn said:

To be even more fair, if that thread was created by one of the Republican trolls on this board it wouldn’t be worth reading.

*Looks at the OP*

If the presumption of the OP was true, Washington and Oregon are the worst offenders.  They have the least number of voting locations per capita. Washington requires photo ID at all polling locations and Oregon requires it for first time voters.

You guys have been suckered into buying a narrative that isn't true.

Same with the states with automatic registration and purges.  Georgia and Wisconsin are considering purges for 5-10% of voters?  California is the worst offender - considering purges on 25% of its registrations.  That's 5 million voters.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Gotta love our loveable troll Anastasis. Derails a thread with a both sides argument that has little to do with the original OP, then proceeds to call people stupid for not understanding his “thesis.” Thus harkening the arrival of the backup trolls (socks?) to provide some cover. 

These are great days we’re living, bros! 

To be fair, there isn't much to discuss. An /endofthread post was made by hpslugga in post #4.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JBJ said:

*Looks at the OP*

If the presumption of the OP was true, Washington and Oregon are the worst offenders.  They have the least number of voting locations per capita. Washington requires photo ID at all polling locations and Oregon requires it for first time voters.

Same with the states with automatic registration and purges.  Georgia and Wisconsin are considering purges for 5-10% of voters?  California is the worst offender - considering purges on 25% of its registrations.  That's 5 million voters.

lulz.  it's not *that* there is a reduction of polling locations, its *where* there is a reduction of polling locations. /ronwhite

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

lulz.  it's not *that* there is a reduction of polling locations, its *where* there is a reduction of polling locations. /ronwhite

It's actually *that*.  McClennan County did put two voting centers in the downtown hispanic community.

The point of the cited study wasn't that they found more polling places moved away from the Hispanic neighborhoods. It's that they found Hispanics had a steeper decline in voting rate as a function of driving distance than non-hispanics.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

*Looks at the OP*

You can also vote by mail in WA, which means it isn't necessary to have as many polling places.  So you're either misinformed or disingenuous here.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/faq_vote_by_mail.aspx

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

You can also vote by mail in WA, which means it isn't necessary to have as many polling places.  So you're either misinformed or disingenuous here.

Was it not clear that's the exact point I was making?

Edited by JBJ

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

To be fair no one on this board would read anything in that thread so there would be no point in posting it there.

Jared Kushner 'He just knows Republicans are stupid and they’ll buy it,'

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

To be fair no one on this board would read anything in that thread so there would be no point in posting it there.

Jared Kushner 'He just knows Republicans are stupid and they’ll buy it,'

Double Post, but worth repeating. 

Edited by shnsajax

A couple posters here are demonstrating the sort of credulity necessary to be a GOP SCOTUS appointee. "Sure, there's a ton of clear evidence directly from the Republicans who designed this gerrymander that it was intended to disenfranchise black people, but they're telling us that wasn't the case and that upholding the gerrymander is actually necessary to enforce the Voting Rights Act and I believe them!"

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

A couple posters here are demonstrating the sort of credulity necessary to be a GOP SCOTUS appointee. "Sure, there's a ton of clear evidence directly from the Republicans who designed this gerrymander that it was intended to disenfranchise black people, but they're telling us that wasn't the case and that upholding the gerrymander is actually necessary to enforce the Voting Rights Act and I believe them!"

Yea but the Democratic primary isn’t democratic so suck on that libtard. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea but the Democratic primary isn’t democratic so suck on that libtard. 

"The entire fucking system is un-democratic and is intended to benefit the entrenched interests of the political establishment at the expense of democracy." 

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

No.  Not at all.

For clarity then: voting center density isn't likely to suppress votes when comparing to a voting system that is more convenient from the outset.

McClennan County had near-record turnout in 2016 and 2018, btw.  The results are already in.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

A couple posters here are demonstrating the sort of credulity necessary to be a GOP SCOTUS appointee.

Incredulity.

Edited by JBJ

"The entire fucking system is un-democratic and is intended to benefit the entrenched interests of the political establishment at the expense of democracy." 
There are flaws in the Democratic primaries to be sure, but it hasn't been Democrats in nearly every red state that have systematically tried to disenfranchise minority voters.

I normally overlook your bothsides bullshit, but you're being a fucking lying prick when you try to conflate the parties in this instance. You well know what the Republicans are doing and it's morally and patriotically repugnant. Fuck you man.

7 minutes ago, Zombie said:

There are flaws in the Democratic primaries to be sure, but it hasn't been Democrats in nearly every red state that have systematically tried to disenfranchise minority voters.

I normally overlook your bothsides bullshit, but you're being a fucking lying prick when you try to conflate the parties in this instance. You well know what the Republicans are doing and it's morally and patriotically repugnant. Fuck you man.

I am not "conflating" anything, and you can't point out any lie I posted. You might not like the perspective, but it is not a lie. Systematic attempts to suppress voter expression on the basis of race ARE repugnant. Nobody here has argued otherwise. What is also repugnant is the grip that the political party establishment has on the entire system, which systematically suppresses certain candidates. 

Right. It took you one post to call out the Dems to tell us about how the whole thing is rigged. But it took you 5 posts to finally just say race based voter suppression is bad. What’s the topic of the thread again? And you still haven’t said anything about the actual party who currently engages in race based voter suppression on a wide scale. As usual you’re disingenuous.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Right. It took you one post to call out the Dems to tell us about how the whole thing is rigged. But it took you 5 posts to finally just say race based voter suppression is bad. What’s the topic of the thread again? And you still haven’t said anything about the actual party who currently engages in race based voter suppression on a wide scale. As usual you’re disingenuous.

Sorry, you want a comment from me on the guardian article? I think that JBJ has made a number of interesting points in this thread. I don't think that the article linked in the OP makes a particularly compelling argument that the actions being described represent GOP-enacted race based voter suppression.

From the article:

The rush of poll closures in Texas cannot be attributed to any one policy. Just over half of the closures are part of a push toward centralized, countywide polling places, called “vote centers”, which exist in almost a third of US states. Under countywide voting schemes, voters are no longer assigned to a polling place in their local precinct and can instead cast their ballot at any polling location in the county.

Voting rights advocates and both Republican and Democratic leaders have largely been in favor of vote centers because they can make it more convenient to vote – by allowing people to vote near work, for instance – and because they can reduce the number of people whose votes are thrown out because they went to the wrong polling place.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

For clarity then: voting center density isn't likely to suppress votes when comparing to a voting system that is more convenient from the outset.

McClennan County had near-record turnout in 2016 and 2018, btw.  The results are already in.

Incredulity.

No, credulity is right.  Similar to gullibility.

I'll take that as conceding the point regarding the article provided in the OP.

1) Read article in guardian which doesn't really have anything to do with GOP voter suppression. 

2) Start thread titled "Why do Republicans hate democracy".

3) Predictable circle jerking ensues.

4) Disappear. 

But I am the one trolling here?

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I'll take that as conceding the point regarding the article provided in the OP.

1) Read article in guardian which doesn't really have anything to do with GOP voter suppression. 

2) Start thread titled "Why do Republicans hate democracy".

3) Predictable circle jerking ensues.

4) Disappear. 

But I am the one trolling here?

You know Republicans have consistently worked to suppress votes. That makes them traitors and makes you a piece of shit for trying to both sides their evil.  

25 minutes ago, Zombie said:

You know Republicans have consistently worked to suppress votes. That makes them traitors and makes you a piece of shit for trying to both sides their evil.  

Technically, just to be clear, I did not "both sides" voter suppression.  I "both sides" the notion of the thread title, that republicans hate democracy.

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, credulity is right.  Similar to gullibility.

Incredulity is the unwillingness to believe evidence.  Suspicion or cynicism.

Credulity is believing in the absence of evidence.  Naivety or gullibility.

Not that either actually apply - it's credulous to even call it incredulity.  I'm being skeptical if anything.