Coronavirus Anxiety Poll March 2nd 2020

horn4life

How I feel about the Coronavirus March 2nd 2020  

128 members have voted

1. 1. my general level of anxiety personally for myself is

• high - I am very concerned that I might die of this shit.
    • high - I am very concerned I might die of this shit but I am old and have other health issues.
    • Elevated - I have concern and definitely have stopped running as many errands and going out to eat.
    • Moderate - I have concerns but I think the country will largely weather this and I feel my personal risk is no more than catching the flu.
    • Slight - I think some folks are gonna die but i'm going out to a concert tonight
    • No worries - unless there is no lime for my Corona!

Like others here have mentioned, I am primarily worried about the older members of my family. I am pretty sure there is no way my step-mom would survive an infection. She has had multiple cases of pneumonia over the past couple of years and her lungs are in bad shape. My dad is really healthy but he is old, the same goes for my mom.

I say Moderate but more from how other people are reacting. With that said I have curtailed my travel (typically fly weekly - am letting March play out before getting back on road)

I also am not shaking hands - am trying to social distance as much as possible.

I am in good shape and never smoked etc so am not worried if I catch it per se, with that said I had the flu two years ago that turned into pneumonia and it laid me out for 2 weeks solid and put me in hospital it got so bad so I would rather not roll the die with Corona.

• Like 1

As a relatively healthy 42 year old, the most likely way I die from the coronavirus is having a medical emergency while our hospitals are completely overrun, making basic health care unavailable.

I have significant concerns that the combination of most people's head in the sand BUTTHEFLU attitude combined with our government's incredible failures are making this overrun inevitable. I think these things will also have economic consequences that result in panic, depression, etc.

So I have light concerns about the illness for myself catching it, but very concerned about the overall societal impact.

• Like 2

I have elevated concern mostly because I live in a region with a lot (and I mean a lot) of tech and biotech researchers who are in and out of every Asian airport on a regular basis. Gov. Cooper has declared a state of emergency here in NC for that very reason. I've got a daughter in the food service industry, and a son who goes to every imaginable kind of therapy (so in and out of a lot of medical facilities), and I have a history of high blood pressure and frequently compromised pulmonary immunity due to seasonal allergies. Early 50s, so I'm not panicked or anything, but still, I'm recognizing that I undoubtedly will get this virus at some point, and would like for it to not be a big deal, but I'm not counting on it as a given.

9 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am in good shape and never smoked etc so am not worried if I catch it per se, with that said I had the flu two years ago that turned into pneumonia and it laid me out for 2 weeks solid and put me in hospital it got so bad so I would rather not roll the die with Corona.

This. That 2017-2018 flu season was a real bitch. I caught pneumonia from it too. 

My wife is Chinese, so I've been hearing about this since New Years. The nice thing is that she stocked us up with food, hand sanitizer, and masks before it was trendy.  I'm most concerned because of our kids who have been robbing us of sleep and knocking my ass out with who knows what ailment the past few years. And, yes, more lower respiratory issues than I'm comfortable with.

I envy you all who don't have small children in daycare. Put me down as moderately concerned.

• 2 weeks later...