BigOrange1

who you got?

Rookie of the year: Ben Simmons.  Runner up: Donovan Mitchell

Coach of the year: Quin Snyder.  Runner up: Brad Stevens

Defensive player of the year: Rudy Gobert. Runner up: Anthony Davis

Sixth Man: Lou Williams.  Runner up: Eric Gordon

Most Improved: Victor Oladipo. Runner up: Clint Capela

MVP: James Harden. Runner up: LeBron James.  3rd: Anthony Davis

All Rookie Team: Ben Simmons, Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, Kyle Kuzma, Lauri Markkanen

All NBA Team: James Harden, Damian Lillard, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

who you got?

All Rookie Team: Ben Simmons, Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, Kyle Kuzma, Lauri Markkanen

All NBA Team: James Harden, Damian Lillard, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis

Looks pretty dead-on to me. Dame earned Steph's 1st team spot by playing 25 more games for a team that surged into the 3 seed. 

The only move I'd consider is bumping KD for Giannis on the 1st team because of his defense. KD was on his way to an all-defense team early in the year, but they've been awful for almost all of 2018 on that side of the ball, and he hasn't been nearly as locked in.

On 4/11/2018 at 6:32 PM, BigOrange1 said:

who you got?

Ironic that both coach of the year canidates lost Hayward before the second game of the season ripped off...

Overall, Quin gets the pick as he has less to work with this season...

So you’re telling me that Philly gets 52 wins, and nobody here thinks that Brett Brown should even be the runner up for COTY? Utah wins 48 games, same as the Pelicans and Thunder, and Quin Snyder is COTY, but Philly wins 52 even without Fultz and with a Joel Embiid who only played 63 games and was on a minutes limit to start the year. Philly just won 16 in a row (16 in a row!) without Embiid and y’all STILL show no love for Brett Brown. Y’all are tripping. 

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

So you’re telling me that Philly gets 52 wins, and nobody here thinks that Brett Brown should even be the runner up for COTY? Utah wins 48 games, same as the Pelicans and Thunder, and Quin Snyder is COTY, but Philly wins 52 even without Fultz and with a Joel Embiid who only played 63 games and was on a minutes limit to start the year. Philly just won 16 in a row (16 in a row!) without Embiid and y’all STILL show no love for Brett Brown. Y’all are tripping. 

Shit he should've got consideration the last couple yrs.   That team was shitty and played hard every night even when it was clear that the entire org wanted them to lose as much as possible.   He absolutely should be in the conversation this season.   People thought they would be improved.   NO ONE had them winning 50+ gms.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Is this who we want to win, or who we think we win?  If it's the latter, then Brett Brown has almost no shot.  He might finish 5th behind D'Antoni and Casey too.  Voters have proven that they reward the plucky underdog who was supposed to suck but way overachieved or the best season.  Right or wrong, I think most people, if told that Embiid was going to play a full season, would expect Philly to easily make the Eastern playoffs

36 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Is this who we want to win, or who we think we win?  If it's the latter, then Brett Brown has almost no shot.  He might finish 5th behind D'Antoni and Casey too.  Voters have proven that they reward the plucky underdog who was supposed to suck but way overachieved or the best season.  Right or wrong, I think most people, if told that Embiid was going to play a full season, would expect Philly to easily make the Eastern playoffs

That's kinda the thing.  52 wins is way fucking over-achieving for the sixers.  Healthy Embiid or not.

I think Brown is deserving but the overwhelming majority of that 16 game win streak reads like a who's who of tanking -- Charlotte and Atlanta and Memphis, oh my! Don't get me wrong, a 16 game winning streak in the NBA is a 16 game winning streak in the NBA, and is impressive, but it's also a big grain of salt playing in the East. Still, I would have no problem if he won and I think Brett Brown is an awesome dude who deserves it even more because of the shit sandwich he has had to eat there since he got the job. Still,  I would probably vote for D'Antoni. Snyder has done a great job -- nobody had them doing shit after Hayward left.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

5 hours ago, d2o said:

That's kinda the thing.  52 wins is way fucking over-achieving for the sixers.  Healthy Embiid or not.

I don't necessarily  disagree personally; there's just a clear template for who this award goes to.  Coaches of talent-light teams who vastly overachieve, or talent-heavy teams who have truly remarkable seasons.  The niche for coaches who help a talented young team being to reach their potential in a really good season isn't as clear cut.  Shit, Brown might not even finish in the Top 5 with Snyder, D'Antoni, Stevens, Casey, and McMillan.