Redfish recipe?

Saint Austin

Saltwater fish taste so much better than their freshwater kin. Like Brisket said, grilling is a great easy way to serve the fish. I don't like to keep the scales on because scales. However, descaling redfish is a beating because that shit is armor. Grill, cajun seasoning, salt, and then copious amounts of dried herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary). Grilled for 12-15 minutes depending on how hot you grill. Also if you don't like the skin, you can de-skin but prep as above and grill on a sheet of aluminum foil.

Or you can just fry it naked with skin on a medium hot pan. Olive oil, salt, fry skin side down first because skin will shrink, then flip. Fry each side about 4-6 mins depending on thickness.

BTW, pan frying naked in olive oil is my fav way to cook speckled trout. Trout has sweeter meat than redfish, but not as firm. The firm meat makes redfish great for grilling.

if it's fresh....

halfshell also, but i go low and slow.  just a little bit of olive oil brushed onto both sides, salt, pepper. on to the grill (or even saute pan indoors) skin side down with the lid on for medium for 7 mins or so.  after 7 mins if you can gently push a fork through the thickest part of the meat it's done.  add a little lemon juice.  that's it.  

Like brisket said, half shell is the way to go.  I generally do it cajun style but to mix it up, I brush it with an Italian style mix made with butter, minced garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and chopped parsley. Serve with some lemon and garlic bread. 

@Brisketexan recipe is perfect and my go to.  We occasionally do a slight variation that's the derivative of one of my best fishing trips ever:

About 15 years ago, I was down the Lower Laguna Madre at a friend's cabin.  Amazing weekend.  Perfect weather.  Hammered the redfish and trout.  Fishing was so good, we decided to stay Sunday night to fish and fish some more Monday morning and roll in to work late that day.  We had already eaten most of the groceries we bought, but we had a cooler full of fish, so we weren't going hungry.  We didn't have any butter, so we slathered the redfish on the half shell with mayonnaise and covered it with Uncle Chris's steak seasoning, and threw it on the grill.  It was finominole.  To this day, that's the way my kids prefer their redfish.  The mayo pretty much reduces, gives the seasoning something to adhere to, and keeps the fish from drying out.  Great happy accident.  

Blackened redfish is also outstanding.  Blackening seasoning (plenty of recipes out there, or buy off the shelf), lots of butter and a super hot cast iron skillet.  Serve over dirty rice with a side of fresh green beans.

Also, redifsh belly meat is amazing.  My favorite part.  Just gotta watch out for the bones.

I guess all this talk of redfish means I need to get a few filets out of the freezer this weekend!

3 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

We didn't have any butter, so we slathered the redfish on the half shell with mayonnaise and covered it with Uncle Chris's steak seasoning, and threw it on the grill.  It was finominole.  To this day, that's the way my kids prefer their redfish.  The mayo pretty much reduces, gives the seasoning something to adhere to, and keeps the fish from drying out.  Great happy accident.  

Mayo as a butter substitute is a real thing, and it can definitely work out brilliantly.  For example, next time you're making a grilled cheese sandwich, prep the outside of the bread with a spread of mayo instead of brushing with butter.  It's great.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Mayo as a butter substitute is a real thing, and it can definitely work out brilliantly.  For example, next time you're making a grilled cheese sandwich, prep the outside of the bread with a spread of mayo instead of brushing with butter.  It's great.

Go by an Asian grocery store and pick this mayo up.  Blows every other mayo out of the fucking water.  Makes Duke's look like Bill Miller's brisket sitting next to a pile of Franklin's with a side of Snow's.

81m3gVwU+fL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 3:45 PM, Brisketexan said:

Grill it on the halfshell -- one of my favorite meals ever.  Leave the scales on, cut the filet.  I brush it with a lot of butter, garlic, and cajun seasoning.  AND, a lot of folks don't do this, but I always cook it flesh side down for a few minutes (gets grill marks, char, and smoky flavor).  Flip it, baste with a little more butter and lemon, and let it cook through.  Use a spatula to scoop it away from the "shell" and serve.

9227434a16bd560e5ca62e463eb3b73f.jpg

Awesome. How hot do you usually get the grill?

33 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Awesome. How hot do you usually get the grill?

Hotter than Carla Gugino in a sheer nightgown.

Well, maybe an opaque nightgown.  Dial just a smidge below high.  But you want it hot at first when you do flesh side down to get the flare-ups of smokiness and grill marks.

• Like 1

Redfish Courtboullion. Nice New Orleans / cajun style dish. You can make it with a whole redfish or fillets. 

pre heat an oven to 350 and salt and pepper your fish and lay it in a good sized baking dish. 

Dice up a good amount of onions, bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, and garlic. Sauté it all up a cast iron skillet with plenty of butter or olive oil until it’s all translucent and has the consistency of a thick stew or sauce. Plenty of tomatoes  help with the moisture content. Don’t forget salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and any herbs you want - maybe a little basil and oregano, but just a little. You’re not making an Italian dish. 

Cover the fish in the veggie mixture, trying to get it a half inch thick covering or so. 

Throw the dish in the oven and cook until the fish is done, maybe 45 minutes to an hour? Depends on whether you got fillets or a whole fish. 

While the fish is baking make a pot of rice. 

Server over rice with hot sauce. I love this recipe. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Like 1

My recipe.

1. Catch redfish on topwater. Filet on half shell

2. Get Kerry Gold or Fal butter, Cajun seasoning or PPs seafood magic, and good quality pico and medium salsa

3. Start pit, consume Mexican beers while the fire settles down. Wash and prep fish with barely melted butter (like a paste) and season lightly, don’t over do it. You can do the same with the throats. 

4. place filets skin side down, never flipping, in smoker side of pit, close to firebox, with larger end of filets closer to fire. Cook slower than your normal grill time but run the fire kinda hot, don’t over smoke it. Add small pats of butter to the filets while cooking.

5. For anyone that wants it Veracruz style add a mix of salsa and pico to the top of the filets a few minutes before taking them off. 

• Like 1

Trout, pan fried:

1. Catch trout on topwater, they taste better that way. Then filet.

2. Get Louisiana UNseasoned fish fry, Kerry Gold or Fal butter, canola or avocado oil and Ritz crackers.

3. Place sleeve of Ritz in a ziplock, smash as finely as possible. Use a rolling pin or beer bottle or whatever. When you think you are good, smash them some more. Mix Ritz and fish fry in a storage container at about a 50-50 ratio, add some Cajun seasoning if you want.

4. Melt about half butter and half oil in a large skillet and fry filets on medium high. Use just enough oil and butter to accomplish the task. You may have to add a little in during the process. For each round of fish, wash the pan out and start fresh. 

5. I like mine Veracruz style so I undercook mine just a bit, place it in a foil boat, top with room temp pico/salsa and stick it in a hot oven for a few minutes

Edited by 4th and 5

The best peel and eat shrimp

1. Get good shrimp, jumbo or supers

2. Using some scissors, stick the tip of the scissors into the shrimp and cut thru the back of the shell towards the tail

3. Using a knife with very fine serrations (this is key to snagging the veins for easy cleaning) clean the shrimp. Do not remove the legs or the shell, just devein.

4. Make as many foil boats as you need for the shrimp. Pour a little oil in the boat and season the oil with Old Bay or preferred seasoning. Add the shrimp in a single layer, season both sides generously. Then place pats of Kerry Gold or Fal butter all over the shrimp. When the wife looks at you and says “that’s enough butter” use another quarter stick.

5. Grill over a hot fire until done, maybe 5 minutes, depending on the grill. Do not ever cook.

6. Place a roll of paper towels on the table. Peel and eat. The butter sauce goes great on the shrimp, or on potatoes or veggies.

The shrimp are much juicer and more flavorful when cooked in the shell.

Leftover shrimp are great cold. We eat them on the beach, stick them in bloody Mary’s the next day, whatever.